• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking route from Ponferrada to A Coruña?

PaintedLady

Time of past OR future Camino
25 September-30 October
Anyone found a route from Ponferada to Lugo and on to A Coruña?
Hoping to leave Camino Frances route at Ponferada and head NNW up to Camino Ingles and on to Santiago de Compostela.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
ALSA bus. Several departures per day - some direct, some with a change in Lugo. Search for "Coruña" rather than "A Coruña" in the drop-down destination list.

Moderator note - thread title changed by moderator after this post was made

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks. I would like to walk this route. No bus.
You'll need to research the Via Kunig https://viakunig.eu/mapa/ which will get you to Lugo. Onward to A Coruna will require a good mapping app and some careful planning. There is no designated route so you'll be improvising. You might like to look at the Camino Verde to Friol and perhaps even Sobrado dos Monxes. From either you'll be heading north-west and on your own. Google Maps suggests a couple of lines to follow https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lug...e!2m2!1d-8.4115401!2d43.3623436!3e2?entry=ttu but, as usual has you walking on roads. Mapy.cz or Maps.me will give off-road options. There may even be some wikitracks out there. Worth an afternoons surfing anyways.

Good luck & happy planning

You'll need to research the Via Kunig https://viakunig.eu/mapa/ which will get you to Lugo. Onward to A Coruna will require a good mapping app and some careful planning. There is no designated route so you'll be improvising. You might like to look at the Camino Verde to Friol and perhaps even Sobrado dos Monxes. From either you'll be heading north-west and on your own. Google Maps suggests a couple of lines to follow https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lugo,+Spain/A+Coruña,+Spain/@43.1786209,-8.3139898,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0xd31ce80b130876d:0x1f305fbf2867050c!2m2!1d-7.5567582!2d43.0097384!1m5!1m1!1s0xd2e7cfcf174574d:0x6a47350d095cdfee!2m2!1d-8.4115401!2d43.3623436!3e2?entry=ttu but, as usual has you walking on roads. Mapy.cz or Maps.me will give off-road options. There may even be some wikitracks out there. Worth an afternoons surfing anyways.

Good luck & happy planning
Wonderful. Thanks for the leads.

The app mapy.cz is great for mapping out walking routes.
Here's a suggested route between Ponferrada and Lugo.

Screenshot_20230823_063729_Mapycz.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Historic route for doing so would look something like this :

Ponferrada - A Coruña.jpg

Me ? I think I would DIY a route up there northwards from Melide, though Sarria > Lugo etc is possible.

Heading directly north from Ponferrada would involve some more serious backpacking-style mountain hiking in wilderness.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Via Kunig is an established route. Other potential routes between Ponferrada and Lugo are available to anyone who has a map and an inclination. The OP’s challenge is getting from Lugo to A Coruna by any possible route that doesn’t involve slogging the available road route. A decent mapping app, previously cited, will help but but I’m minded of the likely local response to any request for help and suggestions “por Que?”
If you’re on pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago why would you not simply walk to Santiago. And why would you not walk by the most direct route to those bones. Of course, if you’re just out for a stroll around Galicia then where you go and how you get there is entirely up to you.
A Coruna has been a major port for at least 1500 years. The distribution web from the harbour to the interior is well established but is likely represented by N roads not pilgrim friendly tracks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Via Kunig is an established route. Other potential routes between Ponferrada and Lugo are available to anyone who has a map and an inclination. The OP’s challenge is getting from Lugo to A Coruna by any possible route that doesn’t involve slogging the available road route. A decent mapping app, previously cited, will help but but I’m minded of the likely local response to any request for help and suggestions “por Que?”
If you’re on pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago why would you not simply walk to Santiago. And why would you not walk by the most direct route to those bones. Of course, if you’re just out for a stroll around Galicia then where you go and how you get there is entirely up to you.
A Coruna has been a major port for at least 1500 years. The distribution web from the harbour to the interior is well established but is likely represented by N roads not pilgrim friendly tracks
It is a good question. I will be carrying the memories n wishes of 2 special people, hence visiting Ponteferrada (Knights Templar) and bringing the Scottish clan from Coruña to Santiago.

I wish you well. The Templars weren’t in Ponferrada for long but they were there. The retreat to Coruna is a later part of history. The Black Watch played their part in that part of the great game as did other highland regiments. May you find that which you seek

A Coruna is les than 100k from SDC so you might need to think about how to get the stamps to show a contiguous journey if you are taking a unique route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.