• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Sandals???

MorgDoel

I'm starting my camino at the beginning of July and I'm wondering wether walking sandals would be a good idea? Or should I just bring flip flops?

Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In July having some walking sandals is a great idea. It gets hot and sandals give your feet a breather. They are also a life saver if you develop blisters from hot sweaty shoes.

If you are used to it, and has good stability in your anchles.
I am walking in sandals (from SJPDP, in Villafranca just now), and love it :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In July having some walking sandals is a great idea. It gets hot and sandals give your feet a breather. They are also a life saver if you develop blisters from hot sweaty shoes.
How about in sept.-oct time frame is it still warm enough to wear walking sandals?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ecco Brand! I work as a tour leader in Indonesia, where it can be hot and muddy, and I've tried just about very brand on the market over the years. I will only buy Ecco now, as they have the best grip on slippery rocks, give good support and I've never had a blister... And I wear them just about every day. They are ugly and expensive, but your feet will love you :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just walked from Le Puy to Conques in sandals. Last September I walked from Sarria to Santiago in sandals. Most people wear walking boots but nearly all the paths on the Camino are OK in sandals as long as it isn't s owing or pouring with rain. I carried a pair of trail shoes in case I needed the, but I didn't.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
20140430_080625.jpg 20140430_163551.jpg Merrell saved my life this Camino, bought on Amazon and few other hard core walkers on Via de la plata had them also, they are a mens sandal (some ads say that) but I took a 39/40, always wore socks (prevent rubbing)..they have a VIbram sole, I did wear tevas before but the sole and support was not as good. Merrell Women's Kahuna Iii Classic Taupe Ankle Wrap Sandal..

Last edited:
Camino Chic indeed... I agree, go with the sandals! After a blister-forming couple of days in hiking boots, I gave them up in favor of my two-week old TEVA brand sandals. From mid-September till the end of November, come sun, rain, wind or torrential downpours. And yes, the wool socks (+ application of Vaseline each morning) helped alot! I'm indebted to the people at TEVA ;)
Proof is in the photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peripatete/sets/72157640221217943/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I finished my last 4 days of the camino in hiking sandals...I wish I had started in them!

I'm starting my camino at the beginning of July and I'm wondering wether walking sandals would be a good idea? Or should I just bring flip flops?

Thanks
I walked 5 Sept - 16 Oct. mostly in boots, but wore my hiking sandals on flatter stretches. I really wish I had worn them more - they give your feet a chance to bend and wiggle around more, as well as breathe. I've since bought a lighter, lower pair of hiking shoes, and plan on alternating them with the sandals depending on the terrain. The sandals are made by Columbia, pretty cheap $35ish, and not perfect, but they worked. And still do. Biggest reason I bought them is I hate sandals with black soles (because of the heat in the sun) - these are grey.

Tevas worked for me. I always started out in boots, but a couple of times I did the last Kilometers in my Tevas. Bliss!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My favourites are Keen sandals, closed toe, not as bad for picking up pebbles. I also bring a €5 pair of plastic sandals for the shower.

Wayfarer, following your recommendation for Keen Sandals I did some research on these and have changed my mind about the Ecco sandals and will be buying a pair of Keen Newport H2s.
I, particularly, took into account your comment on "picking up pebbles" with open toes shoes.
Additionally the closed toe will help to avoid stubbed toes
Thank you.

Last edited:

Thanks
sandals. Good quality ones. That love your feet. I had a pair of the ugliest crocs in the world that cost nigh on $90AUD. They loved my feet. Only got to wear them in the last week throughout the day, but they were a boon for my tootsies after the days trekking. Sandals.

Camino Chic indeed... I agree, go with the sandals! After a blister-forming couple of days in hiking boots, I gave them up in favor of my two-week old TEVA brand sandals. From mid-September till the end of November, come sun, rain, wind or torrential downpours. And yes, the wool socks (+ application of Vaseline each morning) helped alot! I'm indebted to the people at TEVA ;)
Proof is in the photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peripatete/sets/72157640221217943/

I love your photos! Great idea to photograph your feet on the way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks S. Brown - it was also a constant reminder that anything was possible, regardless of the so-called-obstacles (bumps, rocks, rain, puddles, etc) that I encountered along the way ;)

I walked every day the first 10/12 miles (16/20 km) in my Keen Marshall hiking shoes.......then the last few miles in my cheap but super comfy and strong sandals from Bass Pro . I loved the switch . My son walked only the first day in his Merrell boots...too hot he found....so after that he walked the entire Camino in Keen sandals. We did have GREAT weather in May/June.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Dutchwalk53, I'll be a first time Peregrina on the Del Norte route (Lord willing) come May/June or September 2016. It's encouraging to read you write this as well! I try listening to my gut feeling but, always leave room for reading what others have to say. My feeling is that my Teva Terra Fi4's are SUPER comfortable (no matter what their weight) and I'll be bringing them.

Attachments

• teva-terra-fi-4-sport-sandals-for-women-in-madang-slate-blue~p~9111u_01~1500 TINA 06162015.jpg
    teva-terra-fi-4-sport-sandals-for-women-in-madang-slate-blue~p~9111u_01~1500 TINA 06162015.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 12
  • teva-terra-fi-4-sport-sandals-for-women-in-madang-slate-blue~p~9111u_01~1500.2.jpg
    teva-terra-fi-4-sport-sandals-for-women-in-madang-slate-blue~p~9111u_01~1500.2.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 10
I have bought the Keen Newport during a 2014 Camino, but have since switched to the Keen Arroyo II sandal. Sole of a hiking boot with a sandal top. Worked great on on Italian camino this summer, and was sufficient to walk the John Muir trail (California Sierra Nevada mountains) this fall.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@RumAndChupacabras yes. I shortened it a bit because I found the bottom kept getting dirty. I love the pockets. Deep and very secure. Does away with the need for a handbag or money belt etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have just spent the last week walking in the French Pyrenees using my Keen Newport sandals and no problems other than the odd stop to remove a bit of gravel. Granted I was only doing eight to ten k a day but it was tough going compared to most of the CF. The first two days I used runners but found them too hot and switched to the sandals. I would definately use them on a Camino if I am lucky enough to walk one again.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.