• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino for Anti-Stress Also

almhath

I've enjoyed reading about the Camino for some time, and a topic that comes up now and then, variously, is what might a person get out of it.

In the movie "The Way," all 4 of the main characters had a different motivation: One was to lose weight, didn't; another was to quit smoking, didn't; another was to write a book, did; and another was to honor his deceased son, to do something that was important to him, because he loved him, and he did feel satisfaction for that.

I see some people feel deeply religious or spiritual and get a lot out of that.

Some people enjoy the healthy aspect of the long trek, the fresh air, the friendships.

Some people feel it's a great way to enjoy part of Europe for very little funds.

All beautiful. I deeply feel it's all beautiful.

But I think, for me, the reasons are many: I do feel spiritual about it, truly. I do need the exercise as well, love Europe, enjoy the camaraderie as well. But I think there is another aspect that may be helpful as well for someone who has been under a lot of stress for a long time: working with neural plasticity to "re-boot" the brain, as it were.

I think for anyone who has a great many other demands in life or ongoing major stressors, to take six weeks off and walk the Camino, this famous, spiritual walk that's been going on (roughly) for thousands of years (pagan before), can be helpful in getting past some of the stressors.

Plasticity, referring to the way the brain "sets" as we age or also it's decreasing readiness to form new neural pathways........................: when something has been adopted by the brain, it can stay with you. And that goes for a stressing mind-set, as well.

Walking the Camino, with it's import, it's camaraderie, it's history, and it's very-different-from-prior-daily-life, repetitive effort, can through it's experience help the brain form new pathways away from the stressors of that other daily life.

Some may refer to it as, "Get away, take a break, find some peace..." Kinda the same thing.

Waking the Camino for anti-stress: get back to the earth, the basics. Touching your feet to the ground over and over. Different kinds of ground. Seeing new things. Laughing with new friends. Thinking about your feet, where you'll sleep, what you'll drink. Just being there, doing that, instead of whatever you grind at back home.

I'm reminded of the great film, "The Way" and how the characters stood at the end. Who was happy and who was let down.

It seems to me that one of the realistic goals of the Camino can be to ask for its help in using our natural neural plasticity to re-boot into a more peaceful, down-to-earth neural pattern, an anti-stress, as it were, and to use that plasticity to then also retain that new, engrained pattern to take back home with us afterward. With a sense of satisfaction.

"Things you work for the hardest bring the most satisfaction," as it were, is a related concept. Because things you work for the hardest form a pattern that can stay with you.

I hope this isn't too off-the-wall of an issue. Plasticity, the forming and setting of neural pathways, I think, has a lot to do with our mind-sets, what we value and enjoy, and I think this path to anti-stress is also a realistic goal and expectation for the Camino, at least for me.

Sorry for droning on. I am that way at times. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
almhath said:
Walking the Camino, with it's import, it's camaraderie, it's history, and it's very-different-from-prior-daily-life, repetitive effort, can through it's experience help the brain form new pathways away from the stressors of that other daily life. Sorry for droning on. I am that way at times. :)

Don't apologise - your post is very interesting. In my experience walking the Camino is brain washing in the best sense!

JohnnieWalker said:
almhath said:
Walking the Camino, with it's import, it's camaraderie, it's history, and it's very-different-from-prior-daily-life, repetitive effort, can through it's experience help the brain form new pathways away from the stressors of that other daily life. Sorry for droning on. I am that way at times. :)

Don't apologise - your post is very interesting. In my experience walking the Camino is brain washing in the best sense!

Yes Yes Yes, & I guess carrying the least amount of 'baggage' will allow that process.........
& the preparation is part of it too, strange really because it takes longer :roll:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've enjoyed reading about the Camino for some time, and a topic that comes up now and then, variously, is what might a person get out of it.

In the movie "The Way," all 4 of the main characters had a different motivation: One was to lose weight, didn't; another was to quit smoking, didn't; another was to write a book, did; and another was to honor his deceased son, to do something that was important to him, because he loved him, and he did feel satisfaction for that.

Some people enjoy the healthy aspect of the long trek, the fresh air, the friendships.

Some people feel it's a great way to enjoy part of Europe for very little funds.

But I think, for me, the reasons are many: I do feel spiritual about it, truly. I do need the exercise as well, love Europe, enjoy the camaraderie as well. But I think there is another aspect that may be helpful as well for someone who has been under a lot of stress for a long time: working with neural plasticity to "re-boot" the brain, as it were.

I think for anyone who has a great many other demands in life or ongoing major stressors, to take six weeks off and walk the Camino, this famous, spiritual walk that's been going on (roughly) for thousands of years (pagan before), can be helpful in getting past some of the stressors.

Plasticity, referring to the way the brain "sets" as we age or also it's decreasing readiness to form new neural pathways........................: when something has been adopted by the brain, it can stay with you. And that goes for a stressing mind-set, as well.

Walking the Camino, with it's import, it's camaraderie, it's history, and it's very-different-from-prior-daily-life, repetitive effort, can through it's experience help the brain form new pathways away from the stressors of that other daily life.

Some may refer to it as, "Get away, take a break, find some peace..." Kinda the same thing.

Waking the Camino for anti-stress: get back to the earth, the basics. Touching your feet to the ground over and over. Different kinds of ground. Seeing new things. Laughing with new friends. Thinking about your feet, where you'll sleep, what you'll drink. Just being there, doing that, instead of whatever you grind at back home.

I'm reminded of the great film, "The Way" and how the characters stood at the end. Who was happy and who was let down.

It seems to me that one of the realistic goals of the Camino can be to ask for its help in using our natural neural plasticity to re-boot into a more peaceful, down-to-earth neural pattern, an anti-stress, as it were, and to use that plasticity to then also retain that new, engrained pattern to take back home with us afterward. With a sense of satisfaction.

"Things you work for the hardest bring the most satisfaction," as it were, is a related concept. Because things you work for the hardest form a pattern that can stay with you.

I hope this isn't too off-the-wall of an issue. Plasticity, the forming and setting of neural pathways, I think, has a lot to do with our mind-sets, what we value and enjoy, and I think this path to anti-stress is also a realistic goal and expectation for the Camino, at least for me.

Thank you. I am on Camino now...going much slower than the stages and in significant pain - I enjoyed your post as I was starting to let negativity seep into my day. A 'reboot' is exactly the main reason why I came and walked. I needed to get rid of the negativity that had inundated everyday life back home. But all the other reasons you mention are a close second.
Tonight I will reboot with a good sleep and tomorrow I will focus more on this renewal and less on my foot pain! #buencamino!

@almhath, It is also good to be aware that although the Camino is life changing, it can also be quite hard. People battle blisters, fatigue, muscle and tendon issues, and sometimes injury. It is not entirely anti-stress when you run out of water or can't find a bed. Actually because you mind is focused on your body's most basic needs it is easier to let go of other stressors and it shows you that life can be simple and satisfying.

I love the Camino because it is simple and also hard sometimes. I had a few blisters, a sprained ankle and a heat injury before it was all done. I hope you will find it meets your needs as well, and you love as much as we do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back