• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the last part of the Camino - six months on!

AlanS

AlanS
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 SdeC, 2014 Leon to SdeC, 2015 SJPP to Estella, 2016 SJPP to Burgos, 2017 SJPP to SdeC
This time last year I saw many queries about walking the last section of the Camino which has had a mix of replies ranging from enthusiastic to discouraging. If any are considering it next year perhaps this may be of interest.
About this time last year I decided to realise my desire to walk a section of the Camino. I signed on to the Forum and read many blogs and postings none of which gave me any reason not to do the walk only more determination. unfortunately work and holiday entitlement dictated a week only.
Internet investigation of companies providing guided routes and accommodation proved helpful but whilst several appeared to give good service they were unfortunately too expensive for my budget. A purchase of Camino guide books firmed a decision to organise my own.
A flight (ÂŁ86 return from Gatwick, plus ÂŁ57 to park the car!!) and hotel accommodation through an internet booking site took a week to decide on and book.
The following six months were used to get distance walking fitness and check out my gear.
The decision to start at Sarria saw me arrive in Santiago Saturday 22nd June to an almost deserted airport and catch a bus to Lugo and from there another to Sarria.
The experience walking the (part of) Camino far exceeded that of my previous year when walking the UK Coast to Coast walk, meeting a wide and friendly international mix along the route, especially in the evenings at the hotel stops, as has been said it is easy to make friends on the Camino and meet some great people.
The culmination of walking on the Camino was arriving at Santiago on the Thursday and receiving the Compostela followed by the pilgrims mass in the cathedral on Friday.
In all a truly rewarding experience and one that has stayed with me all year that in reflection was surprisingly easy to organise.
I am now looking into a week next year starting in St. Jean. and wish all a great Camino and a rewarding time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino last year from St Jean and loved every step of the way to Santiago, this year I returned with my wife and walked from Sarria and loved it all over again. As far as I am concerned there are no bad parts. :)

Your story is a great reason for those who have the luxury of time to NOT bag those who start in Sarria! Thanks for sharing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back