• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with a 13 year old

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
My daughter is keen to walk the Camino with me in October this year. She is 13 years old and I am just wondering if other teenagers complete the walk or will it be too much for her? She is a walker and a keen geocacher, so she is accustomed to walking in all types of weather etc.

This will be our first experience so I am wondering which route would be the most safe for us, and perhaps one that is not so strenuous? (about 10 miles a day)

Thank you. (My first post).

Julia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi and welcome! She will do fine. Do take a look into the threads by kiwi-family who walked as a family of eight.

The Camino Frances woud be most interesting for both of you : most stops possible for short days and by October the crowds will be over but there will still be enough " traffic ".

Happy preparations!

Oh @Julia Mumford welcome to the forum and how wonderful that your daughter wants to walk with you! I think that is lovely. Yes, I agree, the Camino Frances is likely to be the best option for a first Camino with a youngster. She will meet heaps of people, experience being treated as rather special but still an equal, you will find a supportive community, a good infrastructure, and with plenty of options as to how much you walk each day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
HI and welcome! I have walked with 6-18 year olds so have a wee bit of experience (but every child - and adult - is different!) Sounds like your daughter will be just fine.
Camino Frances is great for the frequent bars and albergues.....but my kids LOVED turning right at Leon and doing the San Salvador to Oviedo and then hopping onto the Primitivo. These were their favourite routes because the scenery is just so fantabulous. (Admittedly we had already walked from Astorga to Santiago a couple of years earlier, but when people ask the kids which route to do they always say "Turn right at Leon!")
On the other hand, I really do think you can enjoy wherever you are! It's about mindset.

HI and welcome! I have walked with 6-18 year olds so have a wee bit of experience (but every child - and adult - is different!) Sounds like your daughter will be just fine.
Camino Frances is great for the frequent bars and albergues.....but my kids LOVED turning right at Leon and doing the San Salvador to Oviedo and then hopping onto the Primitivo. These were their favourite routes because the scenery is just so fantabulous. (Admittedly we had already walked from Astorga to Santiago a couple of years earlier, but when people ask the kids which route to do they always say "Turn right at Leon!")
On the other hand, I really do think you can enjoy wherever you are! It's about mindset.

Hi Rachael, hoping to do a camino walk with my 15 yr old daughter nxt October, either Portugeuse or Francaise. Haven't my Brierly to hand, so is the San Salvador to Oviedo 'turn off' covered in Brierly, or what was your source? Really want to take her on a scenic route to give her a memorable experience. How was accommodation on the way? I'm no spring chicken & 20-22 kms per day would be my max. Thanks! Sandra

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughter is keen to walk the Camino with me in October this year. She is 13 years old and I am just wondering if other teenagers complete the walk or will it be too much for her? She is a walker and a keen geocacher, so she is accustomed to walking in all types of weather etc.

This will be our first experience so I am wondering which route would be the most safe for us, and perhaps one that is not so strenuous? (about 10 miles a day)

Thank you. (My first post).

Julia
Hi there, I have done 2 Camino's, the French one on my own and last year from Porto to Santiago with my then 13 year old daughter and 17 year old son. I think the Porto one would be good for you and your daughter. It's achievable in one go, if you have two weeks to do it. Regardless of ow fit you and your daughter are, be prepared for a few blisters, make sure you have a trusted pair of walking shoes. The first day walking from Porto, along the coast, is beautiful, brings you into Viil de Conde, Portuguese people are also very open, friendly. What ever one you do, try to enjoy the moment and dont get csaught up in making a certain amount of KM's each day. Good luck, Pat

Pato777's recommendations are good. I've walked with my son at 8, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17, and love walking together. You meet each other in a very different setting, and there is no need to nag about cleaning anyone's room or doing homework...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You'll be fine. We walked with my son over 3 summers starting when he was 11. That first year, he got tired, grumpy, we carried his pack for a while every afternoon. By the last year, he was leaving us behind. There seemed to be more kids on the Camino by our third summer - but that may be a function of having been closer to Santiago. Buen camino!

No Brierley for the Salvador. Check out the camino resources section or get the CSJ guide or just use the free guide on www.eeoski.com or www.gronze.com. Hard to get lost despite being stunning scenery.
I just walked from Porto last year and while it was pleasant, it was not as spectacular.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.