• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with a dog

Owen jenkins

Cornish
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning stages
I'm looking at walking from le puy en velay to santiago de compostela next year with my jack Russell. Im looking for any info or advice from people who have already completed the walk with their canine pal. Im not looking for dog advice as such, im an ex dog handler in the army and fully understand the implications of canine husbandry when travelling and dealing with issues in hot weather (hotter than spain). Im want to ask about things like accom. I dont want to be staying in hostels as i want to camp out every night of the walk under canvas in a tent i'll be carrying. The dog is more than fit enough before anyone mentions as we regularly do 27 miles in a day, and often go out for weeks on end. Is there any issues when it comes to getting through france to spain, she'll have her passport or About getting certain signatures required within cathedrals. Basically looking for any advice about how the french and spanish deal with pilgrims walking with their dogs. I've heard that the campsites are normally pretty good. Access to shop to resupply for myself and the dog. Also about ferrys to and from as foot passengers very rarely are allowed on with a dog. Was thinking of a car hire.any way any info or advice or a point in the right direction would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Between Sarria and Santiago last September there was a German lady walking with two dogs. She carried a big rucksack and I understand they camped. The dogs had packs as well, for carrying their bedding. One day they stopped for lunch, she had a main meal in the garden and the cafe people brought out food for the dogs as well.
Brittany Ferries take dogs and have kennels on-board. Not sure they allow foot passengers to board with a dog.

Buen Camino

In Trabedello (after Villafranca on CF) a girl with a dog was found a room in a small albergue.

Between Sarria and Santiago last September there was a German lady walking with two dogs. She carried a big rucksack and I understand they camped. The dogs had packs as well, for carrying their bedding. One day they stopped for lunch, she had a main meal in the garden and the cafe people brought out food for the dogs as well.
Brittany Ferries take dogs and have kennels on-board. Not sure they allow foot passengers to board with a dog.

Buen Camino

In Trabedello (after Villafranca on CF) a girl with a dog was found a room in a small albergue.
Yeah getting across as a foot passenger I see a no go but I know a few people who commute regular who I can jump in with. Then was going to hire a car down to the start line

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On your return Brittany Ferries have a ferry route from Santander to Portsmouth and they have some cabins on that ferry where dogs are allowed in the cabin with their owner.

If you can arrange it Bla bla car Fr. might be possible. Very cheap and some car drivers may accept a dog. Bla bla car seems to work well in France and Spain but I get the impression it's not caught on well in U.K.

There are no borders between France and Spain. Question is getting her into the EU. Or getting her back into the UK if that is where you are from. I doubt you will want her in quarantine on her way back. The paperwork for UK dogs is a nightmare.

Second issue is your plan to camp. Wild camping is illegal in Spain. Perhaps also in France. Most albergues, since using a tent eild camping will not ne possible, will not allow the dog, but they may let you pitch a tent on their lawn, while charging something for the use of land, water for shower and loo and kitchen if you cook.

Finally, the Cathedral will not care if you wLk with a dog, that is one thing you don't need to run by them before getting access to heaven, if heaven to you is walking with your pooch.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Owen I imagine you know all about U.K. Pet Passports for travelling with a dog . There shouldn't be a problem returning home from Europe as long as you have the required stamps from the vet before leaving Spain / France. No need for quarantine .

Yeah the passport thing isn't fine as I've dealt with taking dogs around the world. As long as her passport and rabies and petscheme paper work is fine she is able to travel freely, only to france she needs to me a vehicle where as from spain i would need a pet cabin. My plan is to try and get a hire car in France to get to le puy then walk, then get a car to Santiag. Then get a pet cabin back to the uk. As for the wild camping most things I've read is either pet friendly camp sites or that people camp just out of eye sight . Not seen anything about people having trouble there. Wild camping is illegal in the U.K. In most places but I do it on the regular and have never had trouble. As long as ur up at daylight and dont leave mess people normally turns blind eye. I wasn't expecting to take the dog in to the cathedrals, i would tie her up and got get the stamps needed.

That bla bla car seems a great idea, never heard of them before and just checked them out. Great info cheers

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Owen- there are several threads on this forum on camping, which can provide you with more detailled advice on how practical this might be. In Spain, there are only a few areas for wild camping and the Camino Francese goes through agricultural or settled land. I met a few dog-accompanied pilgrims who were able to camp in the yards and grounds of albergues along the way-- this might provide you with some possibilities.

As for the wild camping most things I've read is either pet friendly camp sites or that people camp just out of eye sight . Not seen anything about people having trouble there. Wild camping is illegal in the U.K. In most places but I do it on the regular and have never had trouble.

I wasn't expecting to take the dog in to the cathedrals, i would tie her up and got get the stamps needed.

You may want to revisit the whole wild camping thing. With 250 000 people walking the Caminos in Spain every year, just imagine the mayhem. I don't know where you have read that it is fine to do so. I certainly have never seen a thread on this forum saying it is ok. I suppose we like being guests in Spain and therefore opt to obey the laws of the country, and respect the people who own the land we are welcomed on.

As for getting stamps, you do know you never have to step foot in a single cathedral to get a stamp: you get stamps in albergues, bars, shops, etc.

Hola PeRRegrino, I posted this link on another thread about dogs.
The website features a list of albergues and campings that allow dogs (Camino Francés):
http://www.caminoconmiperro.com/de_santiago/alojamientos.html

PeRRegrinos are advised to book in advance, just to be sure they have a place to stay at the end of the day.
There are lots of practical tips, all in Spanish.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We met a woman on the Le Puy route who was travelling with a dog, she was not having much fun. Not many of the restaurants or accommodation place wanted anything to do with her.

Last time we saw her she was sheltering under a deserted building in the freezing cold and rain as she could not get anywhere to stay or put her tent up. I really think you should reconsider walking with your dog.

You may want to revisit the whole wild camping thing. With 250 000 people walking the Caminos in Spain every year, just imagine the mayhem. I don't know where you have read that it is fine to do so. I certainly have never seen a thread on this forum saying it is ok. I suppose we like being guests in Spain and therefore opt to obey the laws of the country, and respect the people who own the land we are welcomed on.

As for getting stamps, you do know you never have to step foot in a single cathedral to get a stamp: you get stamps in albergues, bars, shops, etc.

Hello. No i didn't know about the stamps, hence the need to post questions on a "forum". You can be respectful and wild camp, it's about not leaving behind a trace of your stay. Like I've said I've done it thousands of time in uk and even france and never has any issue.

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
was this woman carrying a tent? Kind of hard to not find shelter when your carrying it a bag. I camp all round the U.K. On trails, u never plan to end a day at a town, always in between then All you need is dead ground and be up before the rest of the world. Pitch is darkness and pack in darkness and no one knows your there. I've read two good blogs so far of those that have travelled with a dog and from I've found so far it's only those who have failed to prepare correctly for the husbandry of the animal is the first place, are the one who have issues. You have to remember, they are dogs and more than equipment to be outside. As long as foot care and hydration are kept well, the dog will be fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If only sleeping rough with a dog really was impossible, imagin all the people who would be saved

Wild camping is totally illegal in Asturias, and fear of accidental fires being started means that folk can be quite vigilant any where. It seems to me to be wrong to set out on a pilgrimage with the intention to break the county's/provinces laws. If you look on the various threads and websites you should be able to find legal places to camp.
We regularly travel on Brittany Ferries to Santander and I think that the only dogs allowed in a cabin would be a registered assistance dog. All others board by car and go straight to the kennels deck, with limited access during the crossing. The Santander-Portsmouth vessel is the same one as the Santander -Plymouth one so I assume that the same conditions will apply.

I too am a frequent traveller on Brittany ferries both French and Spanish routes and I think it is not only assistance dogs that are allowed in the dog friendly cabins. Best to check the rules and regs with the ferry company.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wild camping is totally illegal most places, but it doesn't stop people. As long as you are respectful and don't leave a mess or a whole in the ground, no one knows. I'm not in to fire, a jetboil for a brew then bed is my type of thing. To be honest, if your good enough with the right discipline you can get away with most thing. I once camped on the verge of the Shipwrights Way had people passing most of the evening only feet away and no one was any wiser.

You can travel by dfds on foot with a dog. Without an issue. Just a carry on kennel and constant access is permitted. Getting back is a pain, but all dogs are allowed in pet cabins (hence the name) but you can't board as a foot passenger. These do get booked up nearly a year in advance (I've been in correspondence with Brittany ferries about this trip, many times)

As for what you see as wrong on your pilramidge, doesn't always chime with someone's else's reasons. Some wish to see the land for what it is not for what's its been broken down to by boundaries and ownership.

A lot of people on here seem to be very against the idea that someone should be able to sleep where they stop. How do you think homeless get by (with their dogs) for their lives? Often allowing dogs to live a much freer life than a little Labrador stuck to its back garden and half hour walk a day.

Lucky the French and kind to dog owners and are permitted on a train throughout the country, free unless over a certain weight.

So easy get to start line. Hire car from finish line back to France and train back up to hop across the channel :)

Owen-- I have many friends who have camped in Ireland, Scotland, England, France, and Germany. Wild camping is far more readily accepted in those countries than in Spain.

Public attitudes in Spain are less sympathetic--sometimes you'll get permission, but often you won't. We often forget that many people were set homeless after the civil war, and there is a general sentiment that campers are not necessarily innocent travellers-- while it's been many years since, older people have stories of campers trying to settle permanently. Wild camping is illegal within a certain distance of established campsites, which is a real challenge along the del Norte where there are many many campsites.

I am sure that you, like my camping friends, are respectful and careful in your attitude, but that won't cut you much slack with the local police or with a grumpy farmer. One of the reasons why locals support the albergues with public funds and their voluntary work is that they provide accommodation and avoid the need for camping.

Yeh I've had run ins with the Guardia Civil a number of times. I'm not saying I would wild camp every night, why would you when you can stay of a pet friendly campsite like I mentioned at the start. Get showers etc. The way the replies are coming makes it sound like I'm trying to be a out law or something.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yeh I've had run ins with the Guardia Civil a number of times. I'm not saying I would wild camp every night, why would you when you can stay of a pet friendly campsite like I mentioned at the start. Get showers etc. The way the replies are coming makes it sound like I'm trying to be a out law or something.

By and large, forum members are trying to be helpful, and to ensure that you get the most out of your Camino by being prepared for the reality of the situation. I have spoken with many Canadian pilgrims who really really like camping but who, on their return, agree that it's just not that practical. We are conscious of the hospitality and generosity of our Spanish hosts, and try to respect their rules-- it's not a reflection on you at all.

The way the replies are coming makes it sound like I'm trying to be a out law or something.
Really?

"Wild camping is illegal in the U.K. In most places but I do it on the regular and have never had trouble."

" Like I've said I've done it thousands of time in uk and even france and never has any issue."

"I camp all round the U.K. "

"Wild camping is totally illegal most places, but it doesn't stop people."

"To be honest, if your good enough with the right discipline you can get away with most thing. "

"Yeh I've had run ins with the Guardia Civil a number of times."

I wonder how we ever got that impression.

People are taking time to help your experience be a success. It is clearly difficult for you to accept that what you had in mind may not be the best of ideas. But perhaps just like you thought you had to get stamps in cathedrals You also think that wild camping in ok. We are clearly wasting our time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Owen jenkins I can see you are a responsible dog owner as you have already mentioned your attention to foot care and hydration. :)

I have seen dogs on camino and in the wilderness, my own nephew takes his dog backpacking! I just don't understand the need or desire to bring a dog on a long distance walk or backpacking trip. Is he your "best friend" and you need companionship? Is it a safety issue and you need protection? Is it that you can't leave him elsewhere while you travel?

I'm not being snotty, (and quotes around best friend are simply because of the saying), I just really don't understand why people travel with their pets. I know that I will ruffle some feathers here (bird reference, I'm not picking on dogs :D), but I really could use an education on this phenomenon. And for the record my pet stays home.

I would say you could easily wild camp on most of the CF as long as you do it like you said. Tent up after dark and down before light. No fires, no trash and no traces. We used to do it all the time on public land when I was younger. We called it "cold camping". The next morning you'd never even know we had been there. Did it on sandbars on overnight canoe trips, too.
The legalities of what we did? Heck, I don't know, ha ha. We never checked. If that's the worst thing we ever did in life, that's pretty good. ;) Besides, we always figured better to ask forgiveness than permission. :cool:

And in the early days what did pilgrims do?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A cosy picture but I am sure there were many pilgrims who didn't always make it to designated accommodation and spent their nights in barns, churches or out in the open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We met a 60+ year old British couple in mid June 2015 who were then living in Bulgaria and were walking with their dog near the end of the Camino. They were camping and had actually done the whole way from Pamplona but were going at about a 10 KM/day pace as they also had a big cart (like a wheel barrow) of stuff. We met them just past Sarria in Ferrieros. Funny conversation there when the waitress asked us for glass of wine or bottle and the glass was 2 Euro, bottle was 3 Euro.

I have seen a sign in the Northern Territory (one of the Australian States).
"Do your dog a favour this holiday, leave him/her at home"
Makes a lot of sense. What you want to do may not be what is good for your pet.

I'm looking at walking from le puy en velay to santiago de compostela next year with my jack Russell. (...) Basically looking for any advice about how the french and spanish deal with pilgrims walking with their dogs. I've heard that the campsites are normally pretty good. Access to shop to resupply for myself and the dog. Also about ferrys to and from as foot passengers very rarely are allowed on with a dog. Was thinking of a car hire.any way any info or advice or a point in the right direction would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

On the Camino Francés there are shops with dog food in the bigger places, but not in the smaller villages. As for access to the shop itself with a dog - most likely not. Dogs wait outside. Same goes for restaurants and bars. You'll be confined to the terrace (if there is one). Since a Jack Russel is a small dog, you might consider a pet carrier and turn the dog into hand luggage. Or strap the carrier to your back or front. She may well go unnoticed until you finish your purchase, your meal or your visit. The carrier may also double as a kennel for the night, reassuring anyone that the dog won't roam about, lick the faces of sleeping pilgrims or soil the place. ;) ;)

As for camping rough almost all the way from Le Puy to Fisterra, do take a look at this thread and the very inspiring blog:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...y-nov-2015-with-a-2-yr-old.38755/#post-421941

http://bodhi-on-the-way.blogspot.nl/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry - 'No dogs' means 'No dogs', not how to get away with it. There are rules for shops/food/sleeping places etc which need to be observed. Exceptions being made obviously for assistance dogs, but this is not the case here I think. If we all just ignored the rules which do not suit us then there would be chaos. Please folk don't encourage breaking the law, either wild camping or taking dogs into restricted areas. Apart from anything else it will make pilgrims in general less welcome as it reflects on all of us.

As for camping rough almost all the way from Le Puy to Fisterra, do take a look at this thread and the very inspiring blog:

http://bodhi-on-the-way.blogspot.nl/

An "interesting" blog :mad: I notice the photo of "Daddy and Bo chillin by the campfire". In a eucalyptus forest :eek::eek:. And then folk wonder why some of us are against "Wild / Rough Camping".
Please don't!!!!!

Tio Tel

An "interesting" blog :mad: I notice the photo of "Daddy and Bo chillin by the campfire". In a eucalyptus forest :eek::eek:. And then folk wonder why some of us are against "Wild / Rough Camping".
Please don't!!!!!

Tio Tel

Hi TerryB, I found that blog through this thread here on the forum
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nisterra-july-nov-2015-with-a-2-yr-old.38755/

and all the comments there are POSITIVE, the young child is adorable, the parents are praised. On the blog they mention that their goals is sustainable travel with children (and I agree!)

Perhaps all depends on who you are and the Way you look at the world. The Camino is many different people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the blog they mention that their goals is sustainable travel with children (and I agree!)

Perhaps all depends on who you are and the Way you look at the world. The Camino is many different people.
Sustainable! until the forest burns down because of some-ones chosen lifestyle. If it is against the law (or common sense) then we should not be doing it. I shudder to think of the risk to that child had the eucalypts or undergrowth, in the photo, fired.

The Camino is other peoples homes and livelihood and we don't have the right to put it at risk, even if prepared to put ourselves at risk.

Last edited:
Hi TerryB, I found that blog through this thread here on the forum
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nisterra-july-nov-2015-with-a-2-yr-old.38755/

and all the comments there are POSITIVE, the young child is adorable, the parents are praised. On the blog they mention that their goals is sustainable travel with children (and I agree!)

In my own house, I live by my own rules. In someone else's house, I live by their rules. In my own country, I live by it's rules (laws), In someone else's country, I live by their rules (laws).
Simple.
Back in the day, we left the U.K. to live and work with South American Indian people. Seven and a half years of living "rough" with two young children - one born there. Yes, I have my way of looking at the world! However, respecting the lifestyle and laws of the country where I am a guest, is part of who I am.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back