• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with my dad next march

lahyre

Hi there my dears.

I walked part of the Camino (from León to SDPC) last year. When I got home e told my family how delighted I was, my dad confided me that he always dreamed about doing the same walk. I promised to go back with him some day. The plans were to walk in 2015 but it was not possible. Now I'm looking forward to go next march.

As he is 70 now and we can't be away for a long time, we'll walk from Sarria to Santiago. My plans are to walk 20km a day, what means we'll spend about 5/6 days starting to walk on march 27th.

What about the weather at this time? Have you guys got any idea how would it be? And is there anyone walking about this time who wish to meet?

Gracias and Buen camino a todos!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi there my dears.

I walked part of the Camino (from León to SDPC) last year. When I got home e told my family how delighted I was, my dad confided me that he always dreamed about doing the same walk. I promised to go back with him some day. The plans were to walk in 2015 but it was not possible. Now I'm looking forward to go next march.

As he is 70 now and we can't be away for a long time, we'll walk from Sarria to Santiago. My plans are to walk 20km a day, what means we'll spend about 5/6 days starting to walk on march 27th.

What about the weather at this time? Have you guys got any idea how would it be? And is there anyone walking about this time who wish to meet?

Lahrye:

Weather is something that cannot be predicted. More than likely though there will be some rain in Galacia. You could check seasonal weather averages and plan off that. Just make sure you have good rain gear and enjoy the time with your Dad.

Ultreya,
Joe

my wife and I are starting on a walk on the 19th of March from St Jean. I have done a lot of research on the kind of weather we will incur. I have seen various blogs same to expect anything. Perhaps we'll run across one another I will be looking forward to it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there my dears.

Buen Camino to both of you. You're very privileged

Hi lahyre,

We walked from Leon to SdC starting on March 5th this year. It took us two weeks and we had a great time. It would be chilly in the morning and it was very pleasant later in the day. You should assume that you're going to see a mix of weather conditions and pack accordingly. That being said, we didn't see a drop of rain... not a drop! I hope your weather is as good as ours was!

Buen Camino!

Ron and Michele

Maybe try and factor in a nice hotel mid way, giving your dad a chance to have a long soak in a bath
and "gird up his loins".

Whatever the weather it will be a great time for you both to bank some memories.

Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there my dears.
You may be interested in this film: http://www.lifeinawalk.com/. I haven't seen it yet, but our local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino has arranged a showing for this Wednesday night. I'll try to report back on my impressions after I see it.

I just walked with my 20 year old son last May/June. I seriously think there is nothing better then walking as a parent/child team. Take indeed private rooms as needed. Still pretty cheap and we loved it. We had them often at Albergues so we didn't miss out on the "pilgrim community fun" . I hope to somehow get my other 2 kids to join me someday . They want too....work/study/time off are issues we need to work on. However I think it will happen . Their youngest brother's experience convinced them :)
Have a GREAT time !

You may be interested in this film: http://www.lifeinawalk.com/. I haven't seen it yet, but our local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino has arranged a showing for this Wednesday night. I'll try to report back on my impressions after I see it.
Okay, I saw the film last night. It's the story of a father and son that walked the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago. The film wasn't so much about the Camino itself as it was about the relationship and interaction between the two principals. As such, IMO, it didn't really do much in the way of describing the Camino other than showing some of the scenery along the way. There wasn't much interaction with other pilgrims or with locals, but that may have been by design since they were really focused on the father-son relationship. The end of the Camino in Santiago was good, with several scenes in the plaza and in the cathedral -- including some obviously hand-held video of the swinging of the botafumiero -- plus a sequence at Finisterre at the conclusion. Overall, I would rate it very good, but perhaps my opinion is colored by placing myself vicariously in the same situation of walking the Camino with my own grown son. It was a well-done, professional production, which might be expected from someone who is, besides being a loving son, "...a Filmmaker, Scholar, New York Times Best-Selling Author, accomplished Coach, popular Sports Analyst and World-Traveler" (to quote his on-line biography at http://yogiroth.com/bio/). If the film comes to your area, I'd recommend seeing it, especially if you're interested in father-son relationships and/or the Camino Portugués.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone. I´m sure we´ll have a great time/experience.

I guess we will begin to walk on 25th or 26th from Sarria.

Best wishes to everyone.

I hope you and your father will have a great time. God Bless you both and know that there are some of us who wish we could have walked the Camino with our fathers and are elated that you have that chance.

A truly magnificent thing to do lahyre, your Dad will remember it for the rest of his life! You too will experience some very memorable moments as well, may you be blessed with many happy moments and grow even closer together. Buen Camino to you both

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there my dears.

Enjoy your time with your dad. Quality time with ones dad is rare and something to treasure. My dad passed 10 years ago. I have no drought we would have had a great time walking the Caminos together, so I carry his ashes with me in a small vial. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back