• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with my dog

Mike Brown

Hi, my name is Mike Brown and I am intending to walk the Comino in 2006 with my dog Tango. We will be in Spain during April, May and June.
We look forward to meeting other pilgrims.
Mike Brown

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum Mike! I think you are the first in this forum that are planning on walking with a dog (I might be wrong).

I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has any experience with this? Any suggestions for Mike?

I know there have been issues with pilgrims finding "hostile" dogs along the way problematic, not sure if this will be an issue for you.

Buen camino,
Ivar

Walking with your dog

We saw a few pilgrims with dogs in 2002 and in 2004. They wore little panniers (like bicycles') to carry their food and medication.
The Confraternity of St James advises STRONGLY against taking pets on the camino. Mainly because the majority of albergues do not accept them and secondly because there are many strays in Spain and although a pet may be trained and well behaved, the local 'perro' may not be! An alternative is to stay in camping sites - although many of these do not open until Spanish summer which is late June/July. It would be worthwhile getting a copy of the: ‘Guia Oficial de Hoteles y Campings del Camino de Santiago’ . It lists all accommodation, ranking, prices etc including camping sites is available from all Spanish Tourist offices or Tourspain in Madrid. Email: manuel.jurado@tourspain.es
Buen Camino.
Sil

PS: There can still be heavy snows in April - don't start too early!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
dog on camino

I have met an Austrian woman on the Camino in fall of 2003 walking with her friendly German Shepperd, but every night she spent with her husband who followed them in an RV, so the problem with hostels did not bother her. Another person I met was a man with a puppy, and he run the Camino from a hotel to a hotel. Apparently, most hostels will not accept dogs.

Walking with your dog

I have never walked with a dog, but military friends tell stories of exhausted dogs having to be picked up by heliocopters.

I walked in 2003 and I met a few people with dogs. I noticed they were never allowed to bring the dog in the refugio. In one case, the dog was not even allowed on the grounds and had to be tied outside while the pilgrims got their stamp.
I saw at least one couple with a dog who camped along the way.

People (websites, confraternity of st james, etc) generally advice against it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back