Want to do another Camino but which one?

Mo0904

Oct 8, 2012
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances March/April 2013
Hello,

I'm Mo. I haven't been on this site for a while, the format has changed a bit so not sure if I am posting on the right section! :)

I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona in 2013 and it was one of the best experiences, I met some of the best people I have have ever met and made some friends for life. For that reason, I don't know that I want to walk the same route again but I definitely want to walk another Camino. I would have to walk March/April 2019 as that is the easiest time to take off from work. I walked at that time before and the weather was pretty horrific for the entire time but I still loved it!

I just wanted to asked for some recommendations as to which Camino I could take, bearing in mind time of year, whether albergues are open on quieter routes etc. I don't mind it being quiet but don't want to be stuck in the snow on a mountain with nowhere to sleep . Was thinking about the Camino del norte v Portuguese. Can have approx 4-5weeks to complete. ( I would also quite like to include a walk to Finisterre this time also)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

¡Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

terryenroute

Apr 27, 2013
St. Thomas Ontario Canada
Camino Frances '13, VDLP '16, Salamanca to Santiago/Finesterra/Muxia '17, Madrid/San Salvador '19.
How about starting the Via de la Plata in SALAMANCA, and when you get to GRANJA DE MORUELA, take the beautiful sanabres route thru ZAFRA, ZAMORA, ORENSE, etc onto SANTIAGO. This is a beautiful route with great infastructure and sites. Also enough pilgrims to meet. This should leave you with enough time to go to Muxia and/or Finesterra.

Mo0904

Oct 8, 2012
Thanks! That's a good idea and Salamanca is one of my favourite places! Would love to do the entire Via de la Plata but won't ever get the time to do it in one go so this might be a nice compromise.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

surya8

Oct 7, 2017
Kaliningrad, Russia
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
The Portuguese Camino from Lisbon could be done in Mar-Apr. The weather should be warm and pleasant enough to walk but it could rain. This spring is quite unusual all over Europe as it's colder and rainier but other years were much warmer. Miss Portugal so much, it's beautiful nature, great food, warm people! Most of the albergues from Porto, municipal or private would be open, at least on the central route as it's busy and popular. You should check from Lisbon, some could be closed till Apr. Lisbon to Porto usually takes 13 days, Porto to Santiago another 10, of course depending on your level of fitness. Don't walk the coastal route between Lisbon and Porto though, in Mar it could be quite horrendos there in terms of winds, rain and mud, and also loneliness, as there are no albergues there, just hostels and hotels, even campsites are closed, this route is unmarked. Take the central route from Lisbon instead. From Porto you can think of taking the coastal way but check if albergues are open. The Portuguese assossiation has a list of albergues here: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/ My fav places on the way were Santarem, Golega, Tomar, Coimbra, Agueda, Vila do Conde, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca, Arcade, Caldas de Reis. Bom Caminho!

Mo0904

Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for the advice, I would love to walk from Lisbon but it seems like it might be best to start from April onwards but will look into it a bit more. Although I went for a weekend in Porto last year in February, saw quite a few pilgrims around so might be an option.

surya8

Oct 7, 2017
Kaliningrad, Russia
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
Thanks for the advice, I would love to walk from Lisbon but it seems like it might be best to start from April onwards but will look into it a bit more. Although I went for a weekend in Porto last year in February, saw quite a few pilgrims around so might be an option.
From Porto to Santiago it's always busy, you'll see pilgrims in Porto any time of the year. I walked in late Apr there, central route, loved it.

Reactions: domigee
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Rossco

Nov 26, 2016
Hervey Bay, Australia
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
Hello,

I'm Mo. I haven't been on this site for a while, the format has changed a bit so not sure if I am posting on the right section! :)

I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona in 2013 and it was one of the best experiences, I met some of the best people I have have ever met and made some friends for life. For that reason, I don't know that I want to walk the same route again but I definitely want to walk another Camino. I would have to walk March/April 2019 as that is the easiest time to take off from work. I walked at that time before and the weather was pretty horrific for the entire time but I still loved it!

I just wanted to asked for some recommendations as to which Camino I could take, bearing in mind time of year, whether albergues are open on quieter routes etc. I don't mind it being quiet but don't want to be stuck in the snow on a mountain with nowhere to sleep . Was thinking about the Camino del norte v Portuguese. Can have approx 4-5weeks to complete. ( I would also quite like to include a walk to Finisterre this time also)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

¡Buen Camino!

Rossco

Nov 26, 2016
Hervey Bay, Australia
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I walked the Frances in 2015 and the Portuguese from Lisbon in October 2017. I didn’t like the Portugues at all. Too much walking beside busy roads and highways, cobblestones hard on the knees and feet and a lot of unattractive industrial areas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides