• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert WARNING: Sexual predator near Tuído on Portuguese Central

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I also posted this in my live, but I want to warn others. This happened our way to Tui today, just outside of Tuído. We had just taken a short break, and my daughter suddenly noticed a walking stick, grabbed it, and started marching with it. We were then entertaining ourselves making up marching songs. Suddenly, I noticed a young guy walking towards us, and a car parked to the side. Keep in mind, we were still in the woods, but just outside of Tuído, not quite to the distillery. We gave him our normal, “Bom dia”, and continued on. He weirdly didn’t really respond.

I was just ahead of my daughter. We kept walking and I turned to say something to her, and realized he had switched directions. He was now walking behind her. My gut immediately told me that this wasn’t going to be good. I muttered just loud enough for her to hear, “Speed up and keep your stick.” I turned my head enough to see him in my periphery, and he was getting closer to her. I told her “Walk faster and keep your stick!” I looked to the side again.. and now he was not even a foot behind her! I slowed where I could grab a large rock to hit him with, and let her pass to get her behind me. There he stood, pants down… and you can guess the rest. I screamed some profanities at him. He then weirdly made a gesture of apology, then hurried away, while pulling his pants up. I managed to grab video footage of him. He turned and looked right in my camera twice.

My daughter said later that she could feel that he was right behind her and was just about to spin and hit him with her stick, just before I made my move. I am almost certain he was about to grab her.. and/or worse. I think what stopped him was her clutching that heavy, sharp stick. We were both pretty shaken up. When we came out of the woods, several local women were heading in. I explained what happened, warned them to be extremely careful, and showed them his photo. They were really grateful for the information.

We were both pretty shaken up. I’m almost certain I saw someone else post about having almost this exact same experience recently. I wonder if it’s the same guy. I’m not sure what the rules are here, but I have video and stills of him that I can post or send to the local authorities. I shudder to think what might have happened if she’d been alone.. or hadn’t had that stick. Another peregrina once told us that the Camino always provides, and this proved it to us in spades. My daughter said something just told her she needed to take the stick, then this incident happened not 10 minutes later. Be careful out there, everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Cheryl2445 So sorry you and your daughter were subjected to this abhorrent behaviour. Well done for your presence of mind in protecting your daughter and yourself and for warning others. As @Anniesantiago says, please report - you have video and photos of the offender, which will surely - hopefully - lead to some action. Perhaps your accommodation host can help you if needed. I hope the remainder of your camino is wonderful and peaceful. Best wishes.🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please report this to the local police.
Unfortunately easier said than done. We’re now in Spain. This happened in Portugal, and we saw almost no one today. There is no police department in Tuido. I’m hoping someone on here can tell me how to send what I have to authorities, because we found no info online for that particular area.

Maybe others will come along with better information. In the meantime, perhaps take a look at the Alert Cops website: I know the incident happened in Portugal but ... maybe it's worth checking out. They may be able to point you to an equivalent site for Portugal??

I don't have any personal experience of having done this but it says you can send photos and videos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unfortunately easier said than done. We’re now in Spain. This happened in Portugal, and we saw almost no one today. There is no police department in Tuido. I’m hoping someone on here can tell me how to send what I have to authorities, because we found no info online for that particular area.
Tuido is part of Valença municipality

I would report it to Valença's GNR (Guarda Nacional Republicana)

Found this info online:
GNR - Destacamento Territorial de Valença
Rua José Maria Gonçalves
Valença
4930-632 VALENÇA

Telefone: 251801010
Fax: 251825076
E-Mail: ct.vct.davln@gnr.pt
Site: http://www.gnr.pt

I also posted this in my live, but I want to warn others. This happened our way to Tui today, just outside of Tuído. We had just taken a short break, and my daughter suddenly noticed a walking stick, grabbed it, and started marching with it. We were then entertaining ourselves making up marching songs. Suddenly, I noticed a young guy walking towards us, and a car parked to the side. Keep in mind, we were still in the woods, but just outside of Tuído, not quite to the distillery. We gave him our normal, “Bom dia”, and continued on. He weirdly didn’t really respond.

I was just ahead of my daughter. We kept walking and I turned to say something to her, and realized he had switched directions. He was now walking behind her. My gut immediately told me that this wasn’t going to be good. I muttered just loud enough for her to hear, “Speed up and keep your stick.” I turned my head enough to see him in my periphery, and he was getting closer to her. I told her “Walk faster and keep your stick!” I looked to the side again.. and now he was not even a foot behind her! I slowed where I could grab a large rock to hit him with, and let her pass to get her behind me. There he stood, pants down… and you can guess the rest. I screamed some profanities at him. He then weirdly made a gesture of apology, then hurried away, while pulling his pants up. I managed to grab video footage of him. He turned and looked right in my camera twice.

My daughter said later that she could feel that he was right behind her and was just about to spin and hit him with her stick, just before I made my move. I am almost certain he was about to grab her.. and/or worse. I think what stopped him was her clutching that heavy, sharp stick. We were both pretty shaken up. When we came out of the woods, several local women were heading in. I explained what happened, warned them to be extremely careful, and showed them his photo. They were really grateful for the information.

We were both pretty shaken up. I’m almost certain I saw someone else post about having almost this exact same experience recently. I wonder if it’s the same guy. I’m not sure what the rules are here, but I have video and stills of him that I can post or send to the local authorities. I shudder to think what might have happened if she’d been alone.. or hadn’t had that stick. Another peregrina once told us that the Camino always provides, and this proved it to us in spades. My daughter said something just told her she needed to take the stick, then this incident happened not 10 minutes later. Be careful out there, everyone!
Disgusting, something is seriously wrong with these men. I am glad your daughter is OK, that just makes it worse to have a young person experience that. Really, I am on the Portuguese Coastal route right now and I have experienced such kindness from both men and women. I hate that these outliers are making such bad experiences for others. Grrrrrr!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tuido is part of Valença municipality

I would report it to Valença's GNR (Guarda Nacional Republicana)

Found this info online:
GNR - Destacamento Territorial de Valença
Rua José Maria Gonçalves
Valença
4930-632 VALENÇA

Telefone: 251801010
Fax: 251825076
E-Mail: ct.vct.davln@gnr.pt
Site: http://www.gnr.pt
Thank you so so much! We were kind of at a loss, and honestly just kind of in shock for awhile. I will email him right now and send my photos and video of this creep. As close as he came to my daughter, I’m just worried he intended to do a lot more. I’m worried now for any women walking, especially alone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yes the Camino will provide. It also provides the number to the police. 112 if necessary . That is their job. Also, keep your daughter in front where you can see her. That automatically puts you between a threat as you are able to observe her. Buen Camino

So sorry this happened to you.

Was it a Toyota by chance?

Please report 🙏🏼🙏🏼 the police takes it VERY serious.

Here to support as I went through something similar less than 2 weeks ago on the Camino😔

Yes the Camino will provide. It also provides the number to the police. 112 if necessary . That is their job. Also, keep your daughter in front where you can see her. That automatically puts you between a threat as you are able to observe her. Buen Camino
She’s 27, and in fantastic shape, so literally is almost always leading the way. This was probably one of the only times she was behind me. I’m usually struggling to keep up lol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So sorry this happened to you.

Was it a Toyota by chance?

Please report 🙏🏼🙏🏼 the police takes it VERY serious.

Here to support as I went through something similar less than 2 weeks ago on the Camino😔
My daughter just blew up our still of the car. Doesn’t really look like a Toyota, and we’re not certain it was his car. He didn’t go right back to it after the incident. Then again, he really couldn’t with us standing there. We can’t make out the make of the car, but it appears to be grey in color. She was able to blow up the image of the license plate as well. We’ll send that now too, but again, it may or may not be his. So sorry this happened to you as well.

I will echo the sentiments of so many others - @Cheryl2445, thank you for all the effort you’ve made to report this incident. It is extremely disgusting and leaves such a feeling of repulsion, so I hope you can shake it off. My first encounter was on the way down from the Alto de Perdón outside Pamplona on my very first camino in 2000. Since then, there have been 6 or 7 more incidents, and they don’t get any less disgusting. But the public attitudes and official interest in finding these creeps do seem to have made big strides. All we can do is report and with enough reports, maybe some action will come.

Please let us know if you hear anything back from your report, and I really hope you and your daughter can regain the effervescent joy that shines through your live reports. Bom caminho to you both.

I hope people realize that when something like this happens to you, it is a 100%. Reporting to the police may help others in the future but not the victim. I think it is about time to bite the bullet and say that you have to expect this kind thing may happen until the human behavior changes. Until that happens the safest way is walk with a man.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Until that happens the safest way is walk with a man.
I hope we don’t start down this line of conversation. There are many women of a wide range of ages, myself included, who relish walking alone and have decided that the risk-reward calculus highly tips on the side of walking alone. For those who cannot comfortably accept those risks, the choices are different. I know that your comments are intended to be supportive and helpful, but I also know that many women on the forum do not appreciate this attitude.

So, let’s leave the advice for another day and just focus on sending support and encouragement to @Cheryl2445 and her daughter. They have done a great service by reporting, have decided to continue on as before, and I hope we can look forward to more exuberant live camino posts.

I hope people realize that when something like this happens to you, it is a 100%. Reporting to the police may help others in the future but not the victim. I think it is about time to bite the bullet and say that you have to expect this kind thing may happen until the human behavior changes. Until that happens the safest way is walk with a man.

This attitude sums up the patriarchy

I don’t even know where to start with this comment haha. First off, I’ve traveled the world (45 countries at this point), without a man. I never take a tour, and plan everything so that I’m completely independent. That includes time in the Middle East and Africa. I also am in NYC about every 8 weeks, and navigate it solo from the Bronx to Brooklyn. I definitely don’t need a man lol. No woman does.

Secondly, out of all but 2 pilgrim couples I’ve seen on this trip, the man is walking about half of a kilometer (or more) ahead of his significant other. If she ever did have a problem, he’d be less than useless from that distance. These men don’t even turn around. Looks bloody miserable.

Lastly, I think if that young man had chosen to do something, he would have been in for a rude awakening. We were both very prepared to defend ourselves. He’s the one that ran from us in the end.

No one and nothing is going to ever stop me from living my life to the absolute fullest. That little creep was just an irrelevant blip in an otherwise fabulous time here. Ok.. rant over.😂

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
UPDATE!!! The GNR reached out to me! I had sent a direct message to them on Facebook, and they confirmed that they had received my original message and that it was indeed being investigated. We sent them plenty of evidence, so he shouldn’t be too difficult to track down.
Thank you for the update!! Glad they are doing something about it

Secondly, out of all but 2 pilgrim couples I’ve seen on this trip, the man is walking about half of a kilometer (or more) ahead of his significant other. If she ever did have a problem, he’d be less than useless from that distance. These men don’t even turn around. Looks bloody miserable.
Firstly I am so pleased that you are such an independent strong woman! Kudos!! am one of those women whose husband has a faster pace. Please check your perspective. Bloody miserable? Why because you think the woman needs coddling on the way. Or miserable because she's walking with a man? I enjoy walking alone like you. How is this any different? We are all on our own caminos. Even those of us who are "together ".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Firstly I am so pleased that you are such an independent strong woman! Kudos!! am one of those women whose husband has a faster pace. Please check your perspective. Bloody miserable? Why because you think the woman needs coddling on the way. Or miserable because she's walking with a man? I enjoy walking alone like you. How is this any different? We are all on our own caminos. Even those of us who are "together ".
The majority of the ones we’ve seen both have sour, angry looks on their faces. The woman in almost every case (with some notable exceptions) is struggling with a pack that she can barely handle or a pace that she can’t keep up with, and he hasn’t a clue, and could care less. Never even turns around. He looks angry and annoyed. That’s just what I’ve seen with the exception of a few older couples, and some much younger ones. There aren’t many on the Portuguese at the present time. We’ve met some lovely couples as well. But yes… What I’ve mentioned does indeed look bloody miserable. My daughter even said to me… I would totally turn the other way and lose him if I was with that lol.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The majority of the ones we’ve seen both have sour, angry looks on their faces. The woman in almost every case (with some notable exceptions) is struggling with a pack that she can barely handle or a pace that she can’t keep up with, and he hasn’t a clue, and could care less. Never even turns around. He looks angry and annoyed. That’s just what I’ve seen with the exception of a few older couples, and some much younger ones. There aren’t many on the Portuguese at the present time. We’ve met some lovely couples as well. But yes… What I’ve mentioned does indeed look bloody miserable. My daughter even said to me… I would totally turn the other way and lose him if I was with that lol.
Lol sometimes the Camino itself is bloody miserable. I think you make a lot of assumptions. Any men looking bloody miserable? I'm sure there are lots of women out there kicking their partners asses.😅😅

Lol sometimes the Camino itself is bloody miserable. I think you make a lot of assumptions. Any men looking bloody miserable? I'm sure there are lots of women out there kicking their partners asses.😅😅
None that we’ve seen. Again.. There are very few pilgrims on the Portugues right now. I’m just telling what I saw.

I think it is about time to bite the bullet and say that you have to expect this kind thing may happen until the human behavior changes. Until that happens the safest way is walk with a man.

It is this type of archaic thinking by men that upholds every male perpetrator's behavior.

*reposting my comment with edits

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am considering the need for the company of a man for me to be safe on camino. I walk my own pace and I always walk alone, but nonetheless I am of ordinary female strength and advancing age. I find myself not wanting to walk a route where I might be in physical danger from a local male. For various reasons, I had been considering walking my next camino in Portugal, for the first time. This thread reminds me that I have read quite a few narratives about males sexual predators in Portugal who target solitary female pilgrims. I find it discouraging.

Closing this thread because it is devolving into personal attacks
I find it inappropriate to tell women that they must be chaperoned by a man in order to be safe on the Camino. While women are usually the victims of this type of crime, both genders can be crime victims, and no one is suggesting that men should not walk the Camino solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.