• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water- bladder sack vs. Nalgene

ZacM

Hey all,

I will be participating on my first camino from St. Jean on May 28th. My bag has a 45L bladder sack but it gets to be a bit heavy for my liking. Should I use the bladder held in my bag or should I just use my nalgene bottle?

Thanks!

Zac

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
45litres?? Can't be. Maybe the whole backpack is 45litres?

You don't need to fill a bladder full.

The advantages of the bladders are you can sip /suck on it hands free. They tend to be weight balanced.

How much do things like that matter? Kind of depends.

Whoops! I feel smart haha. The bladder is prolly around 1 gallon. I was thinking of just filling half way anyways so that may be what I do!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, a gallon is still a heck of a lot - most people seem to carry around 1 to 2 litres.

NicoZ said:
The advantages of the bladders are you can sip /suck on it hands free....
You can also use a "tube" and "bite valve" with the camelbak better bottle, if you prefer bottle and hands free. I have both but don't like the idea of trying to fill the "bladder sack" while inside the pack with my gear.
Buen Camino
Colin

On a hike where I will not need to refill, I like the bladder. On my Camino (leaving May 30!) I'm anticipating refilling whenever water is available and it is MUCH easier to fill a bottle than take out and replace a bladder in a full pack. I'm bringing a Camelback"bite and suck" bottle plus another for extra water. Both are 750 ml. If you see someone pitifully waving an empty water bottle you'll know I've miscalculated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also had the dilemma of bottle vs water bladder. I've decided to take a platypus bladder that is easier to fill than the one that was in the backpack. Between getting water at stops and meals, I hope to only refill the bladder once during the day (2 L), and bring a small bottle for back up on the side. I like the freedom and convenience of the sipping with the tube. If the platypus doesn't work out, I can always buy a bottle when I'm there. I start on May 30 from SJPP and hope to see some of you on the way.

Buen Camino
~Bic

Water bladders and there tubes are also very difficult to keep clean and bacteria grow easily in them. Consider using a PET bottle (soft drink bottle) instead. They are also easier to refill and to see how much water you have left over. SY

SYates said:
Water bladders and there tubes are also very difficult to keep clean and bacteria grow easily in them. Consider using a PET bottle (soft drink bottle) instead. They are also easier to refill and to see how much water you have left over. SY
I much prefer a water bladder because it is so easy to take regular sips rather than gulping water when you're thirsty. Every so often fill it and the tube with water and Milton (used to sterilise baby bottles), leave it overnight and then rinse before filling with fresh water.

There is solution for those who like to sip but prefer a bottle so they can easily tell how much water is left - http://www.source-hydration.co.uk/acatalog/info_27.html

I bought one of these tubes in Sydney and they are also available in Decathlon (sports stores in UK, France, Spain etc). The pack comes with various size caps which screw on to a water bottle.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.