• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water bottle tube adapter availability in Europe

kajko

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Would like to leverage this type of water system vs a bladder on the Frances starting from SJPDP on April 10, but I cannot acquire one before I leave the US. Can such a thing be purchased in Spain post arrival? I will be in Europe for 2 weeks prior to starting the Camino, so if I could order from an online shop that ships in the EU that could work as well. Thanks in advance!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have 3 or 4 of these types of tubes and all came with 2-3 different 'adapters' to fit different bottle sizes.
I'm sure you'll find one in Europe.
Maybe look on the Amazon site for the country you will be on. (that's where I buy them)
Just look for "water bottle drinking tube"

Note: I just tried Amazon Spain, for delivery in Spain and it froze up.
Maybe because my IP is outside Spain?

Would like to leverage this type of water system vs a bladder on the Frances starting from SJPDP on April 10, but I cannot acquire one before I leave the US. Can such a thing be purchased in Spain post arrival? I will be in Europe for 2 weeks prior to starting the Camino, so if I could order from an online shop that ships in the EU that could work as well. Thanks in advance!

I'm curious as to why you prefer a bottle to a bladder? Bladders and pipes are easily and cheaply availabe in any Decathlon store. A great advantage of Decathlon is a pretty much hassle free return policy if you develop problems. Most cities in Spain have a Decathlon.
Alternatively, if you already have a bottle you may be able to purchase a bladder with a pipe that fits your bottle.

Alternatively, have a look on Amazon. There are some available, although you'll need to investigate bottle cap size compatability. I'd suggest buying a set to minimise problems. Amazon Spain is acting weird today.

What you could do is look on Amazon UK (presuming English is your preferred language), find what you are looking for, then use that data for a search on Amazon in Spain.

A problem with Aliexpress is that deliveries can take a long time.

I'm curious as to why you prefer a bottle to a bladder? Bladders and pipes are easily and cheaply availabe in any Decathlon store. A great advantage of Decathlon is a pretty much hassle free return policy if you develop problems. Most cities in Spain have a Decathlon.
Alternatively, if you already have a bottle you may be able to purchase a bladder with a pipe that fits your bottle.

Alternatively, have a look on Amazon. There are some available, although you'll need to investigate bottle cap size compatability. I'd suggest buying a set to minimise problems. Amazon Spain is acting weird today.

What you could do is look on Amazon UK (presuming English is your preferred language), find what you are looking for, then use that data for a search on Amazon in Spain.

Thanks for the tips, feel silly that I didn't think of Amazon Spain/UK/etc. Decathlon is great and I will get my poncho and some other gear there post arrival.

I currently have a bladder, which has its use cases, but I generally prefer bottles for a couple of reasons:
- much easier to tell how much water I have. I find that with a bladder I just can't track how much water remains, and I personally hate having to remove the bladder to check
- I'm a fan of electrolyte hydration powders, which I certainly would not add to a bladder as it's a pain to clean
- I find bottles much easier to refill, especially when having to ask others to refill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We live in Oregon and get them in two days (give it take) from Amazon. Do you know your address that they could ship to you?

Thanks for the tips, feel silly that I didn't think of Amazon Spain/UK/etc. Decathlon is great and I will get my poncho and some other gear there post arrival.

I currently have a bladder, which has its use cases, but I generally prefer bottles for a couple of reasons:
- much easier to tell how much water I have. I find that with a bladder I just can't track how much water remains, and I personally hate having to remove the bladder to check
- I'm a fan of electrolyte hydration powders, which I certainly would not add to a bladder as it's a pain to clean
- I find bottles much easier to refill, especially when having to ask others to refill
Besides Decathlon you also have InterSport.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Fair enough.

Just on the electrolyte powders.....
I'm normally not a user but this summer proved to b record breaking in Spain. As well as powders, Pharmacists will have the same in capsule form. I found them much more convenient.

If you're not aware, Amazon use lockers that allow "nomads" to pick up purchases. Very handy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I am at work and can't see what you posted a link to... but I buy this from Amazon and attach it to 1L water bottles and it works great. I do trim the length of the hose since the hose is quite long. I just buy a 1L bottle of water either at the airport, train station, or supermarket... and when it gets too dirty I throw it out and buy a new one. I usually use at least 2 bottles of water during the trip and refill daily. It has 2 different water bottle attachment sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Hydration-Bladder-Reservoir-Backpack/dp/B07BNH3XFG/?tag=casaivar02-20

If you eat properly, you do not need electrolyte powders. The Camino is not a race. Always carry snacks, such as GORP (Good Ol' Raisin and Peanuts) or your choice of and salt-sweet snacks. Have a bite of sausage, local cheese or chocolate! These items are easily found in local stores.

-Paul

If you eat properly, you do not need electrolyte powders. The Camino is not a race. Always carry snacks, such as GORP (Good Ol' Raisin and Peanuts) or your choice of and salt-sweet snacks. Have a bite of sausage, local cheese or chocolate! These items are easily found in local stores.

-Paul
With respect, I have covered many thousands of kms on my bike and generally have no interest in electrolytes. However, this past summer was exceptionally hot and sunny. Relying on only my usual diet and water intake left me dehydrated and subject to cramps.
In times of sickness they can be invaluable.
FYI Sausage, cheese and chocolate are generally not consumed by vegans.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
General observation on bottles/bladders and other kit - so long as you are flexible on brand and specifics, virtually everything you find in the US is readily available in Spain. As others have highlighted Decathlon is everywhere (I love Decathlon kit!!!) and there are a host of others plus independent outlets with a great range of items too. Personally I always feel itā€™s great to support local businesses where possible - I appreciate Decathlon is French/global! šŸ™„ - and itā€™s saves carrying more on your journey. Each to their own in terms of plans but relax and pick it up in Spain.

-Paul

I usually carry a small 300ml bottle with electrolytes.
I found they gave me a real 'boost' mid afternoon on hot days.

In my planning for my next Camino I came across a series of very interesting videos, that seem well researched.
On the basis of this series, and the video below...........I'm going to try some of the Salt sticks recommended.

You need to watch the whole video to understand the reasoning.

Oh I should add, in case it's not in this video (but only in the first of the series), he has looked at a lot of published research on these topics, and 'adapted' or 'extrapolated' the findings in a logical way, so that we can apply it to Thru Hiking. Which in terms of nutritional needs, hydration and electrolyte balance, is not a million miles from walking a Camino.....

Anyway, watch or not. ;)

At the end of the day.........it seems we need extra salt. One way of course is as you suggest to eat salty foods. I thought the idea of a 'range' of electrolytes in a tablet sounded interesting and worth a try. I will report back in due course!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How did medieval pilgrims walk the Camino without fancy electrolyte powers? Perhaps they knew how to drink the right amount of water and eat the right food to balance energy requirements.

One thing you should explore in training is the right amount of water and food your body requires at a particular temperature. You should learn to detect the early signs of dehydration and low blood sugar and correct immediately. What color is your urine? If your urine is dark yellow you should immediately drink more water. Are you having trouble concentrating? Time to correct low blood sugar with a snack!

Unfortunately, there are too may pilgrims that go beyond their ability and then require emergency correction with electrolyte drinks.

-Paul

Wife just bought bladder from Deca. I have a Camelbak. Actually think the Deca is better and much cheaper. Either way a bladder is so much better than a bottle. You continuously hydrate and really more convenient. And you are reducing your load as you walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wife just bought bladder from Deca. I have a Camelbak. Actually think the Deca is better and much cheaper. Either way a bladder is so much better than a bottle. You continuously hydrate and really more convenient. And you are reducing your load as you walk.
The OP has expressed a preference for a bottle and explained why. In fact, their bottle will be used in the same way as a bladder by utilising a hose. Makes sense to me.

How did medieval pilgrims walk the Camino without fancy electrolyte powers?
A couple of points:
Electrolyte powders are far from fancy and for some people close to a necessity.
Last summer there were record temperatures and in places where I was there was no water.
Even with my own supply of water it was warm and unpleasant to drink.
Not everyone can replicate Spanish temperatures when they "train".

Am I right in assuming that you travel as a medieval pilgrim?

Is it so hard to answer a straightforward question?

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Still not the simplest task.
I think that if I were to use an electrolyte solution that I would use a bottle dedicated to that with no tube attached, and leave to bottle with the tube for plain water only.
This is exactly my plan.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSRā€™s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.