• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproofing Shoulder Straps with Wax

ricitosdeplata

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Via de la Plata
My Osprey Kestral 38 has a rain cover to keep it dry, but my shoulder straps might get wet since I'm going to be wearing a rain jacket and my umbrella may not be enough to protect them. Then there's the matter of sweat being absorbed daily. Any advice about waterproofing the shoulder straps of a backpack with wax. I'm thinking that the foam in the straps would be stiffened by a waterproofing liquid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My Osprey Kestral 38 has a rain cover to keep it dry, but my shoulder straps might get wet since I'm going to be wearing a rain jacket and my umbrella may not be enough to protect them. Then there's the matter of sweat being absorbed daily. Any advice about waterproofing the shoulder straps of a backpack with wax. I'm thinking that the foam in the straps would be stiffened by a waterproofing liquid.

Scotch-guard them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My goodness, I've never had a problem with wet shoulder straps.
I feel like you're overthinking this a bit?
I never considered this until I read a post on this forum about the experience of another pilgrim. She said she went through a lot of rain and wound up with shoulder straps that stunk terribly. I figured october might be wet so better to take precautions while I can.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wax will seal in the "funk," scotch guard maybe, or you can let Mother Nature air dry it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've hiked in all weather for over 30 years ... wet shoulder straps are not an issue. Putting wax on them would likely cause more problems than it would solve.

If the shoulder straps stink try using a deodorant. On your pits that is. You can wash your pack in a tub of warm water and woolite when it does get too smelly.

Ricitosdeplata: a fellow Texan here. I have been reading your posts and enjoying them. You sound very prepared for your camino so agree with others...don't sweat the small stuff (there will be smellier stuff than your pack straps:(). One good thing about my past caminos is that I didn't know I was going until shortly before (calendar opens up) so rarely have had more than a few weeks to prepare. Used this forum to put together a packing list spreadsheet (10 years old now) that gets slightly altered each time based on season and my last experience. It all just works out. I am excited to hear how your camino goes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My shoulder straps are not so thick that I am worried about them getting wet. I think they would dry quite quickly.

However, since I have the impression that you are (like me :D) handy with a sewing machine as well as being an equipment nerd, you might be interested in the famous "super-duper Maggie shoulder cape" created by @Magwood. (Scroll down that linked page quite far.) She has lots of other good tips on her blog.

I have a pack with waterproof shoulder straps. They are sweaty and awful. I would much prefer that they breathe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.