• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We always pick the wrong line...Frances in July.

Raqdoll

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2019)
Hi there! I'm Jennifer. My husband and I are doing the Frances (our first of hopefully, many future caminos) in July (or possibly in very late June) because we always seem to pick the worst time to do things LOL.

We'll be headed out from San Diego, California and probably flying into Paris. Anyone else going in that timeframe?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
July is NOT the worst time to do the Frances. You´ll want to do your walking early in the day, but the days are long and the harvest is being cut just about then, so you will see lots of activity along the Way. Also, at least in the middle where I live, there are significantly fewer pilgrims on the road in July and August in the last few years. You will likely see a lot less bed-racing and idiotic tourist behavior ... they heard the rumor that July is "the worst" and have joined the throngs in May and September!

Thank you for the advice! And I'm heartened to hear that it may not be as crowded as we feared.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there! I'm Jennifer. My husband and I are doing the Frances (our first of hopefully, many future caminos) in July (or possibly in very late June) because we always seem to pick the worst time to do things LOL.

We'll be headed out from San Diego, California and probably flying into Paris. Anyone else going in that timeframe?

Fellow San Diegan! I walked in September-early November 2016, but was living in Oregon at the time. Fair warning, once the camino gets under your skin, that's it, you're a goner. Stay hydrated in July-even in late September we got some scorching days which made me stop walking earlier than usual.

Buen Camino!

Good Ol SoCal my original home. Welcome to the Camino Family. You're going to love the way. It will be hot that time of year but usually less rain, right? I will be arriving in Paris on July 3 for one night then down to walk the del Norte. I have already booked a lovely hostel and cheap for that time of year. Within walking distance to the Gare train station. How long are you staying in Paris before you head down to SJPdP, you are starting there, right?

Happy New Year!!
Angela

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola @Raqdoll as usual the advice from Rebekah is spot on. My only suggestion be prepared for early starts, carry an extra litre (30 fluid ounces for you!) and despite their unfashionable appearance wear a hat with a large brim. You need to keep the hot sun off your face and back of neck.
Oh when you stop for coffee or snacks - take the shoes/boots off to let your feet breath or cool down. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last August I walked for one week from Logrono to Fromista... The weather was beautiful.. sunny warm days and very few pilgrims... lots of beds and all very relaxed. I'll be back this August for 2 more weeks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm going to do it mid-July to mid-August. I think a lot of people are afraid because Spanish summers can be hot, but in the north it isn't too bad. I was looking at the average temperatures and they were all very manageable.

Yup, I'm on the Camino from SJPdP from 06/30 to 07/31, planning to stay in SdC for 2-5 days on wait for a good flight-connection back home.

Roland
Buen Camino!

Hey fellow Souther Californians! I’ll be heading out roughly that same time frame as well this year. Last year I went during the same time and enjoyed the weather; however I’m an early hiker ,4:30-5am starts, for the sunrise and get most of my km done before the actual heat of the day. Crowds are not as commonly advertised pre Sarria, rather a good sprinkling on the path. This year I’d like to experience Pamplona well before San Fermin so I’m planning on getting there before it starts... aiming for a June 27 departure date.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back