• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather April/May

ncali12

I will begin the Camino the last week of April in SJPP. My packing has been heavily influenced by an expectation of snow, rain, sleet, cold, wind. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should be expecting more warm weather--especially toward the end. Will it be hot along the Camino in May? Thanks, ali

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nclai12:

Weather on the Camino, as anywhere in the world, can be unpredictable. There is a good chance you will have very warm weather on the Meseta, cold and windy weather in the Pyrenees and some rain almost anywhere on the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks Joe.
When I first packed my day pack, I only put in long sleeve shirts. Then it occurred to me that maybe I should put in one short sleve shirt. Does that make sense? Can I tell you-all what clothes I'm taking and see what you think?
At this point, it's
1 set light weight long silk underwear (to sleep in--not sure if I need the top with what is below)
1 longsleeve light base wear merrino top (will be wearing or sleeping in this in cold weather)
2 synthetic quick-dry turtle necks (will be wearing one in cold weather)
2 quick-dry button down safari shirts with roll-up sleeves (will be wearing one in cold weather)
1 short sleeved merrino wool T-shirt
1 quick dry zip-off pants (will be wearing either pants or the skirt)
1 skirt
1 light patagonia synthetic puff shell (wear in cold weather, pillow at night)
1 rain pant, 1 rain jacket (very waterproof)
2 pair merrino graduated compression socks (these are fantastic)
1 merrino short sock for night wear

I just got the merrino wool t-shirt in case it is hot.

But all the above seems like alot of stuff and perhaps way too much clothing. ...it's hard to know how many layers I will need to be wearing--especially in the colder elevations. Is there any point along the way, where I can be safe to go ahead and off-load some stuff if it looks like it won't be needed anymore?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ncali12 said:
Is there any point along the way, where I can be safe to go ahead and off-load some stuff if it looks like it won't be needed anymore?
Yes, of course, and any "hospitalero" will be glad to help you in doing so.
In your packing list I miss a wind and waterproof jacket?!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks fraluchi,
I know that I can mail things anywhere along the way. I'm wondering more about the weather. For instance, is there a certain point along the way where after the weather has been fine for a while, you don't have to continue being prepared for snow, sleet and freezing cold. Most of my stuff is for cold weather. I hope I can get rid of it at some point. As for wind, I'm planning to wear my down puff jacket and rain jacket and rain paints for wind. HOpe that that is enough.

Ali:

I will not try to tell you it is too much or not enough. Everyone has a different comfort level. Several people could be wearing the exact same clothing and they could be cold/hot or comfortable. Just remember everything you bring you will have to carry. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will be walking long distances with a pack. What appeared to be a cold morning will heat up quickly while walking.The weather I encountered last year ranged from (28 to 90F or -2 to 30C). The only snow I walked through was in the mountains the first day out of SJPdP. Typically the mornings were cool/cold and the days warmed. In the Pyrenees, I typically started the morning in a long sleeve t-shirt and my fleece and wore them all day unless it rained. On the Meseta, I was wearing only a long sleeve t-shirt and many Pilgrims were in shorts and short sleeve t-shirts. Then by Foncebadon, I was back in long sleeves and fleece sometimes wearing my rain/cold outer jacket when very windy or raining. We only had about 5 days of rain the entire trip but those days are fairly miserable based on how cold and muddy it gets.

I bring:
(Outerwear)
North face multipurpose jacket (cold/wind/rain) and vented
rain pants
North face fleece
2- long sleeve Under Armor t-shirts
1- short sleeve Solomon t-shirt
Knit hat
Gloves
Ball cap
2-pairs of pants
3-pair of smartwool socks
1-pair silk sock liners
3-pair of Under Armor underwear

(toiletries)
Bar soap
toothpaste
toothbrush
comb
3oz. laundry soap
small shampoo
Sunscreen SPF45
Vaseline
Chapstick

(Other stuff)
Ultralight sleeping bag-Marmot aspen 1.5lbs
Silk sleeping liner
Towel
First-aid kit
Leatherman-multitool
Camera
Plastic bags
Outlet converter
Universal charger
watch
2-liter osprey bladder
cheap Spanish phone
headlamp

Give or take an item or two this is my packing list.

Everything above easily fits into my pack 46l osprey and weighs 16lbs plus water. Much better than last year when I carried 22lbs. I should really consider buying a smaller pack.

In regards to off loading clothing, Albergues are full of stuff people have left behind. You can also mail stuff ahead to Santiago if you do not want to leave behind.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ncali12 said:
is there a certain point along the way where after the weather has been fine for a while, you don't have to continue being prepared for snow, sleet and freezing cold.
Most unlikely during the time of year in which you intend to walk. You may want to check http://www.aemet.es (municipios), a useful weekly forecast, to plan your days. Maybe sit out a bad spell: weather conditions are variable during spring time, but rarely of a long lasting nuisance.

Dear Fraluchi,
Thanks for your feedback and the list of what you took. I just repacked my pack and see that I still need to pair things down to get it all into my Gregory 28. What were your dates last year?

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back