• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in April?

aoife2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there, my boyfriend and I start the camino from SJPDP on Tuesday. We have seen so many pictures of pilgrims in the snow but the Internet is saying it's raining. Which one is it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Both!! Left sjpdp sunday week ago. 3 days of snow and a fair bit of rain. The last few days have been mostly sunny with some cloud and a bit of rain in the afternoon - but not much. There is a very cold wind, some days it has been quite windy. From what I can tell most days are around 9 deg but the weather report on the newspaper says ot is getting warmer. I have been told we are in for a few days pf rain but today is sunny. Hmmmm...
Buen Camino

Keep in mind that you're walking the length of an entire country and the weather is going to be different in SJPDP than in Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago. My April Camino a couple years ago included warm temps in SJPDP, near freezing temps and light snow in Roncesvalles, wind, rain and chilly temps between Burgos and Leon, and uncharacteristically sunny and warm temps from Leon to Santiago. April can be unpredictable so I would prepare for just about everything although if you avoid the Napoleon Pass on Day 1 (as I was forced to do because it was closed with heavy snow), then you probably don't need snow gear.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there, my boyfriend and I start the camino from SJPDP on Tuesday. We have seen so many pictures of pilgrims in the snow but the Internet is saying it's raining. Which one is it?
As Napolean is not officially open until Easter Sunday at the earliest and from what I have read at least another week after that, you will be going via ValCarlos. The forecast for Tuesday is 15C and sunny. Buen Camino

April is typically a wet month with snow being possible at higher elevations and even at lower elevations on occasion. So far they seem to be having a cold wet spring all over Spain and Portugal this year.
My own experience walking the Camino Frances in 2014, 15 &16 all in early April was very different. 2014 was unseasonably warm and dry. Used my rain poncho for a light shower on one day only. Was in shorts and short sleeves by mid-day on many days. 2015 was not as warm as 2014, but again only one day with my rain poncho. 2016 started wet and snow the last few hours into Roncesvalles, but otherwise only a few showers for the balance and generally warm by mid day.
But the bottom line, historical averages don't mean a lot. You just need to be prepared for what ever mother nature might throw at you. Right now it seems the weather is challenging on most routes.
Remember, you don't need to be comfortable to be having fun!

Hi, I’m in Samos today and yesterday there was heavy snowfall in Fonfría and knee-high snow on the Camino from Laguna up to O Cebreiro. Most peregrinos were taking the road in preference.
As previous posters have said ‘expect anything and you’ll be ready when it comes’. Now back at 800 metre level & below, there’s no snow and warmer weather with a few showers is forecast for this area over the next few days.
Buen Camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back