• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weight Loss, Chronic Pain & Keeping Fit After Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept-Oct 2022
Hola! I completed the Camino Frances last fall (Sept-Oct, from SJPP, carrying my backpack for 800km) and would love thoughts/advice from other older women (e.g. 60+) and men… Some background—I lost ~10-15 pounds in my training leading up to the walk and then another ~10-15 pounds on the walk. I was thrilled and had to take in lots of pants when I returned home. 👏👏🏼.

But my metabolism took a while to slow, I struggled with returning to “normal” eating, and ended up gaining all the weight back. More concerning is that I developed chronic pain in my hamstring/glute area (at the top of my hamstrings) and am challenged with SI join pain and hip unevenness (my right hip was replaced in 2020). I’ve continued my weekly 5mi hikes, Zumba, yoga, pilates, etc., but my feet ache and I can’t seem to get the weight back off. Grateful that my knees are fine and I’m in good health otherwise.

Just wondering if others experienced this and have novel ways of addressing. Or is this just typical of long-distance walking? You get more out of shape and achy in between walks? I’d love to walk the Portugese Camino this fall, from Lisbon, but not until I have confirmation that the other hip is up to it. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola! I completed the Camino Frances last fall (Sept-Oct, from SJPP, carrying my backpack for 800km) and would love thoughts/advice from other older women (e.g. 60+) and men… Some background—I lost ~10-15 pounds in my training leading up to the walk and then another ~10-15 pounds on the walk. I was thrilled and had to take in lots of pants when I returned home. 👏👏🏼.

But my metabolism took a while to slow, I struggled with returning to “normal” eating, and ended up gaining all the weight back. More concerning is that I developed chronic pain in my hamstring/glute area (at the top of my hamstrings) and am challenged with SI join pain and hip unevenness (my right hip was replaced in 2020). I’ve continued my weekly 5mi hikes, Zumba, yoga, pilates, etc., but my feet ache and I can’t seem to get the weight back off. Grateful that my knees are fine and I’m in good health otherwise.

Just wondering if others experienced this and have novel ways of addressing. Or is this just typical of long-distance walking? You get more out of shape and achy in between walks? I’d love to walk the Portugese Camino this fall, from Lisbon, but not until I have confirmation that the other hip is up to it. Thank you!
I have no medical knowledge.

You might like to look at the shoes that you are walking in.

When I first trained for my Camino I used to get really sore feet. Part way through my training I went into a sports shoe store and they assessed my gait.

We found that I pronate when I walk. They recommended a shoe with support for pronation and now I don't get sore feet.

Of course your problems may well be something completely different but perhaps have your gait assessed.

I do have medical knowledge and am in a similar situation re the aches and pains and orthopaedic surgeries that accumulate between caminos, however I attribute them to ageing and simply arrange my plans to accommodate. In my case I have had more foot surgery. Next Camino will start with shorter distances and pack transport.I will take paracetamol, which is safe for most people, and rub on anti inflammatory gels. The weight issue is paramount in my opinion and every effort should be made to shed a few kilos before those feet start on Camino.I need to lose 2-3 kg in the next few weeks and will eat low cal high protein. One kg body fat exerts more than 4 kg of force through knee joints when walking for example. So whatever you did before you started last time, aim for similar re weight management. Orthotics are your best friend. I am always testing boot/inner sole/sock combinations. Consider boots for ankle stability and your feet may thank you. Consider pack transport when you start out. It sounds like you are active. Strength training is essential in my opinion to protect joints and tendons, ie lunges, squats, and all variations of calf work. Use poles to distribute some of that force through your upper limbs. And one more thing rarely mentioned here, do lots of balance work and you will enjoy the downhill runs on slippery surfaces much more and reduce the risk of a camino ending fall.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do have medical knowledge and am in a similar situation re the aches and pains and orthopaedic surgeries that accumulate between caminos, however I attribute them to ageing and simply arrange my plans to accommodate. In my case I have had more foot surgery. Next Camino will start with shorter distances and pack transport.I will take paracetamol, which is safe for most people, and rub on anti inflammatory gels. The weight issue is paramount in my opinion and every effort should be made to shed a few kilos before those feet start on Camino.I need to lose 2-3 kg in the next few weeks and will eat low cal high protein. One kg body fat exerts many more than 4 kg of force through knee joints when walking for example. So whatever you did before you started last time, aim for similar re weight management. Orthotics are your best friend. I am always testing boot/inner sole/sock combinations. Consider boots for ankle stability and your feet may thank you. Consider pack transport when you start out. It sounds like you are active. Strength training is essential in my opinion to protect joints and tendons, ie lunges, squats, and all variations of calf work. Use poles to distribute some of that force through your upper limbs. And one more thing rarely mentioned here, do lots of balance work and you will enjoy the downhill runs on slippery surfaces much more and reduce the risk of a camino ending fall.
Very helpful, thanks. Yes I know that losing a few kilos would do my joints and feet wonders! Even if I don’t have a camino in my immediate future. I did use poles (*loved* them) and appreciated my mid-height boots for the stability they gave. Pack transport may be the way I go next time, tho I was so proud to have that thing on my back, with comfort. Balance work—great idea. And yes I’m fairly active… Thanks again!

Go see an orthopedic doctor, maybe the one who did your surgery. You have a variety of issues that may very well be related to your original hip replacement, or not, of course. You should see your doctor and get an informed diagnosis. You probably will need physical therapy and stretching. A very mild and beginner yoga class would probably help also, but talk to your doctor and PT. They will know best for sure.

Just commenting to add that my experience was similar to yours, compounded by the fact that I added carbs back in during the Camino after following a low sugar / low refined carbs diet for years, and decided I needed to make peace with carbs rather than completely cut them out.

I came home to the smallest size I'd been in years -- for a hot minute. Didn't last long. I also think my body just plain needed rest and replenishment after such an experience. I couldn't make myself exercise for love or money.

But that didn't mean daily ice creams and inhaling loaves of bread, and eventually my appetite did moderate. Now I'm finally back to where I was when I left, and starting to exercise gently again.

We have a goal of doing the Camino Portuguese next year - hopefully, I've learned some things that will make that experience easier.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just commenting to add that my experience was similar to yours, compounded by the fact that I added carbs back in during the Camino after following a low sugar / low refined carbs diet for years, and decided I needed to make peace with carbs rather than completely cut them out.

I came home to the smallest size I'd been in years -- for a hot minute. Didn't last long. I also think my body just plain needed rest and replenishment after such an experience. I couldn't make myself exercise for love or money.

But that didn't mean daily ice creams and inhaling loaves of bread, and eventually my appetite did moderate. Now I'm finally back to where I was when I left, and starting to exercise gently again.

We have a goal of doing the Camino Portuguese next year - hopefully, I've learned some things that will make that experience easier.
I would love to get back to where I was when I left. How long after your return did it take to moderate and get back to that? I’m exercising, and active, but struggle with “dieting” and restraint and/or finding balance. I grew up during a time when all mothers were dieting and that’s what I learned. ;-(

I can only tell you my experience. I worked with an excellent musculoskeletal physiotherapist for 1 year prior to my Camino. This helped me manage my chronic pain well and I continue to use the stretches and strength exercises daily. On the Camino I used hiking poles, started out slowly and built up my distance. As I have some osteoarthritis in my hip I needed to send my bag through on many, but not all, occasions. I lost weight and became strong. I continued daily exercise after the Camino but struggled to keep all of the weight off post-Camino as I have been travelling ever since. As the weight crept on I realised I needed to get the help of a dietitian and I have managed to lose most of the gain. Weight is important to manage chronic pain and so is exercise and stretching. Good professional help is out there. Good luck!

Hi, very iinterestin.We are hoping to open an online shop for pilgrim,s regarding nutrition and health.Also on line help with dieticians. 900km is a long way and your body needs to be treated well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walked the Via last year at age 71. I was surprised that it seemed to take a longer time to recover than previously. By recover I mean consistent energy and stabilising weight - and I realise that’s just age related.
In terms of my specifics supports -
* Podiatrist or equivalent for feet. Good supportive inner soles.
* Good osteopathic or Chiropractic care
* Elastic knee support - had to wear this for about 6 months after Camino but feel ok now
* Fish oil and collagen for joints - helps everything
* Attempt to keep to my camino eating pattern in foods and timing - major meal before 4 pm and then not much till the next day. Harder to do with a hubby who likes his major meal after 6.30 pm but doable
* Keep up walking and yoga as best I can.
* Doing the emotional work. Feelings and food are very connected.

I think we all have a weight default setting. Mine is not too much more that my ‘imagined ideal’. But I notice even if I eat ‘what I like’ in healthy food I return there more quickly as I get older.
If I do some sort of pilgrimage walk annually, it seems to keep the body in good shape, but if I leave it longer than that, I have to make more of an effort myself and end up carrying more weight.
Lots of great info in all the comments. Hope it is useful.
Buen Camino ❤️

Been there! when I came back from the Camino a month ago, I put back and more of the pounds that I had lost while walking. I have not stopped exercising, but only until now I have managed going back to my normal diet (1200 calories/day) that keeps me in my target weight. Not easy at all, but I need to keep it to be able to go back to the camino next year. Motivation is a great weight management tool!

Been there! when I came back from the Camino a month ago, I put back and more of the pounds that I had lost while walking. I have not stopped exercising, but only until now I have managed going back to my normal diet (1200 calories/day) that keeps me in my target weight. Not easy at all, but I need to keep it to be able to go back to the camino next year. Motivation is a great weight management tool!

Hi
I don’t understand why, if you are exercising, you need such a restrictive number of calories. It seems it would be difficult to meet one’s nutritional needs on that number of calories.
Anyhoo … couple of thoughts … from an unqualified health nerd … might be useful/ might not …
*Muscle burns more calories than fat - when you build more muscle, you can eat more and remain the same weight- a combination of aerobic and resistance training or high intensity interval training is most effective. It’s harder to build muscle as you get older but studies show that CoQ10 helps. Annual Caminos also help. 🤣
*My Camino diet was very clean. Mainly simple snacks/ meals of veg (lots of ensalata mista), meat and fish, fruit, nuts, yogurts, some bread and a bit of vino. I ate a lot of healthy snacks during my walk and I had my one big meal of the day before 4 pm. Then breakfast around 7 am. It’s much harder to eat that way at home but when I do I feel so much better and the weight stabilises.
* All foods are not equal even if their supposed calories are. As in the previous point what and when I eat has more impact in my health and weight than anything else.
I hope it works out that you can eat more and weigh less 😀❤️. I think that is definitely one version of Heaven.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can’t seem to get the weight back off.

When I started training in 2012 I weighed well over 90 kg (? 200 lb)

I knew that not only did a need a light weight pack, I also needed a lighter weight body.

My regime was exercise through training walks and reduce the intake - smaller portions. This took several years - I was in no hurry.

These past three years, to keep the weight at (top of) the normal BMI range, I have taken to more vegetarian (salads preferred) and mainly fish meals.

I’ve continued my weekly 5mi hikes, Zumba, yoga, pilates, etc., but my feet ache

Like @DoughnutANZ, I also had foot trouble when beginning training in 2012. And, like him, pronation was diagnosed with the orthotic with the least gradation being prescribed.

From reading these pages, getting the shoes best suited to your needs locally can be a bit of a lottery.

I was lucky in that a remainders shop is less than 10 km from me stocking the New Balance model 860.

This is designed as a running shoe with open "weave" uppers and pronation support.

And I have used this model since 2015, completing about 800 km before replacement.

I have a wide foot so go for both the wide version and a larger (longer) size than normal to ensure enough room on the toe box.

The only part that wears is the heel - it is built for runners: they do not use that part of their body.

The open "weave" uppers is grand for me. And water that comes in (I cross quite a few stream on my beach walks) mostly comes out just as quickly and my foot dries out the rest quite nicely.

My other foot trick is to wear two pair of socks in the form of long hose. In my case I have slight varicose veins. So, the first pair have light compression. The second pair (also long) are decorative (bright colours).

With all of these foot, shoe and sock features I have not experienced any foot of lower leg issues since 2015.

But we are all different. I mention what I have ended up with: I hope some of the ideas above may be of help to you as you work at finding solutions to your issues.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident)

I’m a little late to this conversation. But I can add one additional piece of advice from very similar experience (twice!). I started working with Noom (in the US). It is a psychology base, online program to help learn, practice, and incorporate healthy eating in a fun, non- depriving way. Noom.com. I’ve found it very helpful and encouraging.

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.