• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 Month Training & Weight Loss Plan for an Overweight/Plus Size Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
June 24' Portuguese
Good Afternoon from Snowy New York! I want to document / get advice on a training plan for my Camino. Today, 12/7/23 marks 6 months until My Walk commences on the ground, on or around June 7th 2024 so I figured 6 months out is a good time to figure out how to prepare.

See my intro post here: Intro Thread

Copied from my Intro Post:

"I was quite the athlete back in "the day" but am finding myself very PLUS size / overweight presently (I believe the technical term is morbidly obese). I am a full disclosure human and have no problem sharing that I am currently, 5ft 4in and 240lbs, with very high body fat. I will post about these challenges as I would like your thoughts on some of the different things I find myself having to consider given my size. I am planning a slower walk due to this!"

Considerations for Training Plan:

1) Route is the Portuguese Coastal Way / Senda Littoral from Porto to Santiago about 187km/178km.
2) Planning around 20 days to complete, with shorter stages. Avg = 9miles/day.
3) Starting weight is 240 lbs for age 37F, quite under muscled
4) Very out of shape and broken but still somewhat active (pickleball, short walks, pilates, yoga)
5) Chronic left ankle issues and surgeries
6) Chronic right knee issues that have caused quad and glute atrophy
7) Muscle imbalances due to the above
8) No medical issues to speak of aside from a low thyroid / Hashimotos and my doc has no concerns, all clear!
9) I am generally a low energy person. Yes I currently do things like play pickleball, pilates, yoga, walk to work, but I already dread/avoid activity outside those dedicated times. I am hoping this plan gives me an overall more active lifestyle. I am a CPA and sit on my a$$ all day (and have since 2007).

My Training Plan for the Winter Months 12/7/23-3/7/24:

Weekly:
Stretching Routine: Develop morning and evening stretching habit (will service me well on The Walk)

Pilates: 2x/wk (Wed evening and Sat late morning)

Slow Flow & Yin Yoga: 2x/wk (Wed evening and Sat late morning)

Pickleball (Level 3.5-4.0 intense play): 2-3x/wk (Fri, Sun, and another day maybe M/Th) + some tournaments and training sessions w/ private coach

Weight Training: Simple Full body routine with increasing weights 3x /week. (M, W, and maybe either Fri or Sat)

PT and Injury Prevention Work: Perform PT routine + Knees Over Toes / Knee Ability Zero routine on days before weight training 3x / wk (M, W, and either Fri or Sat).

Treadmill Walking with Pack: I have access to a treadmill at work. I was thinking of doing 2hrs a day in the morning before work with a pack for the 3 days a week I work. I walk pretty slow right now, at about 2.25m/hr. I will increase the incline. Should I add in a longer weighted walk on the weekend? I dread the treadmill, so boring, but I have accepted that it will be my device until March.

Snow Shoeing: I would like a goal of getting my a$$ outside during this winter on my show shoes. I find it to be such a low reward activity because I can't get far, but I love the cold and would like to get into it this winter. I think a good goal is 1 snow shoe per week. My daughter has some too, this will be good for us.

My Training Plan for the Spring Months 3/7/24-6/7/24:

Continue with routine as stated above for all else but walking.

Reverse/Backwards Walking:
Add 1hr of reverse walking each night. This helps my knee immensely.

Ramping up the mileage for the 3 months prior to the camino. I was thinking of walking parts of the Erie Canal Trail or Empire Trail here in Upstate NY which would tick those off my list. I have a list of friends who will walk some of these miles with me or I will be taking my daughter if I decide to bring her along on My Way.

March 2024: 4 days of walking 8m/day in a row with pack
April 2024: 6 days of walking 10m/day in a row with pack
May 2024: 5 days of walking 12m/day in a row with pack

Weight Loss Plan:

Hopefully the above consistency with exercise gives me some much needed muscle!

Goal: Lose 1lb / wk for the next 24 weeks before The Walk. The goal is therefore to lose 24lbs, bringing me down to 216lbs. This would be fantastic, I haven't weighed that "little" in 10 years.
Diet: Low Carb w/ a focus on animal proteins, over 100g of protein a day.
Restricted Foods: Alcohol only once a month at neighborhood wine night, limit high fat dairy like heavy cream, limit sugars
Calories: Cutting calories via tracking on My Fitness Pal + fasting and having only 2mad (2 meals a day)
Supplements: Consistent use of collagen peptites to help the joints, 40gr a day

I am mainly documenting this for myself, because maybe by posting it here I will stick to it!

I would love advice, in particlar on the "Ramp Up" plan the 3 months before the camino! Is it overkill? Is it not enough?

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good Afternoon from Snowy New York! I want to document / get advice on a training plan for my Camino. Today, 12/7/23 marks 6 months until My Walk commences on the ground, on or around June 7th 2024 so I figured 6 months out is a good time to figure out how to prepare.

"I was quite the athlete back in "the day" but am finding myself very PLUS size / overweight presently (I believe the technical term is morbidly obese). I am a full disclosure human and have no problem sharing that I am currently, 5ft 4in and 240lbs, with very high body fat. I will post about these challenges as I would like your thoughts on some of the different things I find myself having to consider given my size. I am planning a slower walk due to this!"

1) Route is the Portuguese Coastal Way / Senda Littoral from Porto to Santiago about 187km/178m.
2) Planning around 20 days to complete, with shorter stages. Avg = 9m/day.
4) Very out of shape and broken but still somewhat active (pickleball, short walks, pilates, yoga)
8) No medical issues to speak of aside from a low thyroid / Hashimotos and my doc has no concerns, all clear!
9) I am generally a low energy person. Yes I currently do things like play pickleball, pilates, yoga, walk to work, but I already dread/avoid activity outside those dedicated times. I am hoping this plan gives me an overall more active lifestyle. I am a CPA and sit on my a$$ all day (and have since 2007).

Weekly:
Stretching Routine: Develop morning and evening stretching habit (will service me well on The Walk)

Pickleball (Level 3.5-4.0 intense play): 2-3x/wk (Fri, Sun, and another day maybe M/Th) + some tournaments and training sessions w/ private coach

Weight Training: Simple Full body routine with increasing weights 3x /week. (M, W, and maybe either Fri or Sat)

PT and Injury Prevention Work: Perform PT routine + Knees Over Toes / Knee Ability Zero routine on days before weight training 3x / wk (M, W, and either Fri or Sat).

Treadmill Walking with Pack: I have access to a treadmill at work. I was thinking of doing 2hrs a day in the morning before work with a pack for the 3 days a week I work. I walk pretty slow right now, at about 2.25m/hr. I will increase the incline. Should I add in a longer weighted walk on the weekend? I dread the treadmill, so boring, but I have accepted that it will be my device until March.

Snow Shoeing: I would like a goal of getting my a$$ outside during this winter on my show shoes. I find it to be such a low reward activity because I can't get far, but I love the cold and would like to get into it this winter. I think a good goal is 1 snow shoe per week. My daughter has some too, this will be good for us.

Ramping up the mileage for the 3 months prior to the camino. I was thinking of walking parts of the Erie Canal Trail or Empire Trail here in Upstate NY which would tick those off my list. I have a list of friends who will walk some of these miles with me or I will be taking my daughter if I decide to bring her along on My Way.

Weight Loss Plan:

Goal: Lose 1lb / wk for the next 24 weeks before The Walk. The goal is therefore to lose 24lbs, bringing me down to 216lbs. This would be fantastic, I haven't weighed that "little" in 10 years.
Restricted Foods: Alcohol only once a month at neighborhood wine night, limit high fat dairy like heavy cream, limit sugars
Calories: Cutting calories via tracking on My Fitness Pal + fasting and having only 2mad (2 meals a day)

I am mainly documenting this for myself, because maybe by posting it here I will stick to it!

I would love advice, in particlar on the "Ramp Up" plan the 3 months before the camino! Is it overkill? Is it not enough?

Thank you everyone!
Hi Lauren, first Camino . . . You're going to love it. You're training is way more than I generally do; what works for me won't necessarily work for you.
I find getting used to carrying 'Camino Weight' early is useful. ( I didn't have all my gear together early enough for my first Camino, so got creative with making up for that by adding packs of dry rice to reach the required weight.)
It's a fine line between over -training and not doing enough. Over-training can bring the risk of picking up an injury before you even leave home.
I tend to top out at 3 x 3 miles during the week, with a long walk at the weekend.
If you get the chance, try and fit a couple of long walks in on consecutive days. Some people do a long walk once a week when training (which means your body as a week to recover- a luxury you won't have on Camino).
I used 5:2 diet for weight loss ( Google it) and lost 30lb over 6 months👍) A great motivator is try to lose at least the weight of your pack - then it's like not carrying one!
Don't overplan your stages (most people do, including me)
Just go with the flow; if you're having a tough day, stop early, if you're feeling good, go a bit further.
It's a cliché, but you're only in competition with yourself
Have a great time, and Buen Camino🙂

Don't set yourself up for failure trying meet your lofty goals. Training is good but once you arrive on the Camino it is a completely different world. You may be walking 15 to 25 km every day, it may be warm and you may encounter days of nothing but rain. I have walked the Camino many times between 2011 and 2019 and if there is one thing I learned, you can not train enough for the first few day. Blisters and dehydration are the biggest cause of pilgrims to stop their trek.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Lauren!
Wow impressed with your plans seem pretty complex and good luck with it!

Before both my Caminos i was and always have been overweight to quite a degree!
I started to try and lose weight in approximately the same time frame as you.
I used My Fitness Pal ;well it worked for me i started at 112.5 kilos and when i left to walk i weighed 93kg!
(similar for the Frances this year )
Now this is the bit i wanted to say that made it work; i hope it helps.
(others will have different opinions to me)

All i did was walk the dog an hour in the morning and an hour to one and a half in the afternoon most days (walking is something i love; being out in the fresh air) and i carried my full pack with a litre of water 6kg in total that's it!

However my fitness pal set my daily total at 1500 calories.

Well i like my food a lot; after my days calorie burn by about 5pm I had a deficit of about 5 to 6 hundred calories which meant even if i ate that i was still hitting the 1500 calorie daily target and losing at the rate i wanted!
It stopped me feeling bad if i had cake etc.! No guilty feelings of cheating and i more or less hit my goal!

However i am back home now after my Frances landed on 4OCT got COVID on the 5th and was immobile for three weeks.
Then i had my annual flu jab knocked me for six for another week.
Got well and on 27th November COVID booster put me down again!
Result 7kgs back on cos i've been on my butt for about 6 weeks and grazing all day!
So i will start again after Christmas so i am ready for next May!
(I have to admit i have the willpower of a gnat; my kids really rip into me but that's who i am )
When you walk you will obviously burn a lot of Calories (according to my Fitbit i was using between 4 to a max of 6 thousand Calories a day) put enough fuel in to get you to Santiago don't skimp on food!
I wish you well you can do it.

Buen Camino
Woody

So ... hello there! I was exactly in your shoes in August -- 5'1", 230 lbs. Like you, I had done a lot of hiking when I was younger and before it all ... went to hell. My main activity prior to the Camino was snow skiing, which is not something that one can do year round. So I too had ambitious goals of training. But here's the thing -- if you are too ambitious, you might find yourself doing nothing rather than something. At least that's what happened to me. I started to feel overwhelmed by it all, and if I missed a day or two, I obsessed over it. Until I completely "fell of the exercise wagon" and did not return to it other than walking several times a week.

My lack of fitness definitely caused me to struggle on some hilly days, and I was most certainly never amongst the group of people waiting for the Albergues to open at 2 or 3 p.m. I even confess to having taken a taxi on two days. But, I still had an amazing, wonderful, incredible Camino. So much so that 5 months later, I'm going back to do some more of it.

So ... yes, you should increase your activity and prepare. But also, don't drive yourself crazy. Do what you can, and you will be fine. You will still have a great experience.

Hi Lauren, first Camino . . . You're going to love it. You're training is way more than I generally do; what works for me won't necessarily work for you.
I find getting used to carrying 'Camino Weight' early is useful. ( I didn't have all my gear together early enough for my first Camino, so got creative with making up for that by adding packs of dry rice to reach the required weight.)
It's a fine line between over -training and not doing enough. Over-training can bring the risk of picking up an injury before you even leave home.
I tend to top out at 3 x 3 miles during the week, with a long walk at the weekend.
If you get the chance, try and fit a couple of long walks in on consecutive days. Some people do a long walk once a week when training (which means your body as a week to recover- a luxury you won't have on Camino).
I used 5:2 diet for weight loss ( Google it) and lost 30lb over 6 months👍) A great motivator is try to lose at least the weight of your pack - then it's like not carrying one!
Don't overplan your stages (most people do, including me)
Just go with the flow; if you're having a tough day, stop early, if you're feeling good, go a bit further.
It's a cliché, but you're only in competition with yourself
Have a great time, and Buen Camino🙂
Hello! Thanks so much for responding! I have never heard of the 5:2 diet, I will good! I have done a lot of fasting in the past, both extended fasts and intermittent fasting. I’m so glad you had success with 5:2!

I am definitely going to try to go with the flow as far as the schedule goes.

I love that, only in competition with myself, got it! I’ll try not to be in competition with my 20 year old self, and compete with my current self instead lol.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Lauren!
Wow impressed with your plans seem pretty complex and good luck with it!

Before both my Caminos i was and always have been overweight to quite a degree!
I started to try and lose weight in approximately the same time frame as you.
I used My Fitness Pal ;well it worked for me i started at 112.5 kilos and when i left to walk i weighed 93kg!
(similar for the Frances this year )
Now this is the bit i wanted to say that made it work; i hope it helps.
(others will have different opinions to me)

All i did was walk the dog an hour in the morning and an hour to one and a half in the afternoon most days (walking is something i love; being out in the fresh air) and i carried my full pack with a litre of water 6kg in total that's it!

However my fitness pal set my daily total at 1500 calories.

Well i like my food a lot; after my days calorie burn by about 5pm I had a deficit of about 5 to 6 hundred calories which meant even if i ate that i was still hitting the 1500 calorie daily target and losing at the rate i wanted!
It stopped me feeling bad if i had cake etc.! No guilty feelings of cheating and i more or less hit my goal!

However i am back home now after my Frances landed on 4OCT got COVID on the 5th and was immobile for three weeks.
Then i had my annual flu jab knocked me for six for another week.
Got well and on 27th November COVID booster put me down again!
Result 7kgs back on cos i've been on my butt for about 6 weeks and grazing all day!
So i will start again after Christmas so i am ready for next May!
(I have to admit i have the willpower of a gnat; my kids really rip into me but that's who i am )
When you walk you will obviously burn a lot of Calories (according to my Fitbit i was using between 4 to a max of 6 thousand Calories a day) put enough fuel in to get you to Santiago don't skimp on food!
I wish you well you can do it.

Buen Camino
Woody
Hi Woody!! Thanks for sharing your story with me. A few hours of dog walking does sound lovely as a training program. Damn winter here kinda ruins things and I’m really dreading the treadmill work! I started tracking on my fitness pal last week, how tedious! I tracked many years ago, and have much success while doing so, when not tracking I tend to overeat! So back to the tracking it is for me, for now. I’m planning on some indulgences in the camino but don’t want to totally go off the rails, ya know what I mean!?

I’m sorry to hear about your recent sicknesses, I hope you recover quickly and are back to your fighting weight for your next Walk!

Thanks again for sharing your story!!!

In terms of weight loss, it takes a massive amount of exercise to compensate for excess calorie intake. I know - I’ve been there. I stopped playing rugby but still ate and drank like I was playing.

Have you considered buying (or volunteering to walk) a dog? No excuses for ‘I don’t feel like it’ when walkies are required.

Otherwise - just gradually get out there and walk and slowly add a weighted pack.

Don’t over-think it. Planning doesn’t compensate for doing.

Don't set yourself up for failure trying meet your lofty goals. Training is good but once you arrive on the Camino it is a completely different world. You may be walking 15 to 25 km every day, it may be warm and you may encounter days of nothing but rain. I have walked the Camino many times between 2011 and 2019 and if there is one thing I learned, you can not train enough for the first few day. Blisters and dehydration are the biggest cause of pilgrims to stop their trek.
Great perspective, thank you. Blisters and dehydration, I guess that makes sense when you think about it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Talk with a trainer at the gym but weight training with aerobics go together well. The weight training gives you more muscles and more muscles means you burn off more calories when walking. Also, with this you may find that you are not losing weight as fast as you want. Don't fret, you may be burning off the fat but gaining some of the weight back in muscle.

So ... hello there! I was exactly in your shoes in August -- 5'1", 230 lbs. Like you, I had done a lot of hiking when I was younger and before it all ... went to hell. My main activity prior to the Camino was snow skiing, which is not something that one can do year round. So I too had ambitious goals of training. But here's the thing -- if you are too ambitious, you might find yourself doing nothing rather than something. At least that's what happened to me. I started to feel overwhelmed by it all, and if I missed a day or two, I obsessed over it. Until I completely "fell of the exercise wagon" and did not return to it other than walking several times a week.

My lack of fitness definitely caused me to struggle on some hilly days, and I was most certainly never amongst the group of people waiting for the Albergues to open at 2 or 3 p.m. I even confess to having taken a taxi on two days. But, I still had an amazing, wonderful, incredible Camino. So much so that 5 months later, I'm going back to do some more of it.

So ... yes, you should increase your activity and prepare. But also, don't drive yourself crazy. Do what you can, and you will be fine. You will still have a great experience.
Hi Shosh!!

I appreciate being vulnerable and honest with me here and sharing your story!

I am definitely someone who sets lofty goals! Most of the things I am already doing, except the long distance weighted walking, I just hope to gain consistency over the next 6 months so I’m in the best shape I can be in!! I can often get disheartened and off-track, so I totally hear you, I hope it doesn’t happen to me!

I’m so glad you had such a wonderful camino. Already going back! Wow! What’s your plan for #2??? I’d love to hear!

In terms of weight loss, it takes a massive amount of exercise to compensate for excess calorie intake. I know - I’ve been there. I stopped playing rugby but still ate and drank like I was playing.

Have you considered buying (or volunteering to walk) a dog? No excuses for ‘I don’t feel like it’ when walkies are required.

Otherwise - just gradually get out there and walk and slowly add a weighted pack.

Hi Henry! I played rugby in college, you’re right, no amount of exercise can compensate for the amount rugby guys drink! Ha.

I agree with ya and I’m cutting intake over the next 6 months. Nothing crazy, just a goal of 1lb a wk, so cutting by a few hundred calories a day. I think my body would love me if I was down 24lbs before the trip.

I love the idea of a dog walking routine. Signing up for Pilates classes and pickleball leagues makes me go because well, I’ve signed up. Walking is different. When it’s not icy I’ll be walking to and from work, so that’s kind of a given now, especially because all my coworkers expect it from me now so I kinda have to, lol. I’m going to be scheduling my friends to walk with me on many my walks so hopefully that helps. My new thing is if ya wanna see me and catch up, fine, but ya gotta take me for a walk, kinda like I’m the dog in the situation.

But you’re right, I need to DO. Always been the issue! Hopefully with a goal in sight of the trip, family wedding, etc I will be motivated to stay on track. If this doesn’t do it, then well I guess that’s just who I am, we shall see! TBD.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking is really the only training that will prepare you for the adventure.

Just start out with something you can handle.....Then increase it to the distance you are planning.

Start with a planned schedule of days you will walk and consider that you are obligated to your fitness to fulfill the commitment. Stay strong with your schedule.

Toward the departure date..try to work in consecutive days. Remember that no matter how you train before you go, you will suffer a bit the first few days until your real fitness level kicks in.
Many people are not prepared for that and many quit after 2 or 3 days.

Stay strong and you will reap a great personal reward.

Talk with a trainer at the gym but weight training with aerobics go together well. The weight training gives you more muscles and more muscles means you burn off more calories when walking. Also, with this you may find that you are not losing weight as fast as you want. Don't fret, you may be burning off the fat but gaining some of the weight back in muscle.
Hi Rick! I started a lifting routine a few weeks ago and am loving it. Hope to ramp up the weights, I’m just getting back into it. I used to do CrossFit and cannot imagine doing anything like that again, but any weights are better than none!

I generally try not to focus on the number on the scale. I actually took some measurements last week so I’ll track inches too! A little body recomposition would be fabulous!!

Walking is really the only training that will prepare you for the adventure.

Just start out with something you can handle.....Then increase it to the distance you are planning.

Start with a planned schedule of days you will walk and consider that you are obligated to your fitness to fulfill the commitment. Stay strong with your schedule.

Toward the departure date..try to work in consecutive days. Remember that no matter how you train before you go, you will suffer a bit the first few days until your real fitness level kicks in.
Many people are not prepared for that and many quit after 2 or 3 days.

Stay strong and you will reap a great personal reward.
Consistency is not my strong suit, I wish I was as good at that I am at planning! It’s my focus for the next 6 months, I am going to be consistent with the walking, especially after the snow and icy go away. I’m dreading the treadmill this winter but want to keep walking at least a few miles each day.

Thanks for the message!! “Keep strong and you will reap a great personal reward”. I love it. I deserve to work hard and get a reward, very much so looking forward to the adventure ahead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe a personal trainer is the way to go? Even a qualified health professional (I am neither), especially if you have health or physical issues affecting your mobility. Most of us would say 9km a day is, to put it mildly, a modest distance. Human beings are designed to walk and the only thing that can stop one from walking at a measured pace is boredom or distraction. Anyway, good luck with your prep.

Physical therapy and mobility stretching are great. Main focus needs to be a daily step amount that you can easily deliver every single day. If you can manage 5000+ steps daily these months before the Camino then you will be golden for 9km/day. If 5k steps is too much then at least do 1k daily and gradually move up. Consistency is key here.

Too much distraction on the non-walking related stuff and over doing it with the preparation will invite injury. Take it modest and keep the focus on the walking. I do not suggest weighted walking or weightlifting either. If you walk for and hour or more then you will already feel that your body is getting a lot of workout on its own. Adding weights to the mix might destroy your knees. Rather spend more time in Physical Therapy and stretching to increase mobility. Good mobility will help with posture and balance.

Slow easy and relaxed walking at a low heart rate will help you build up a lot of capacity to do the Camino. It also helps you build a sustainable calorie deficit without causing hunger.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Too much distraction on the non-walking related stuff and over doing it with the preparation will invite injury. Take it modest and keep the focus on the walking.

I agree with this. Keep it doable and dare I say, simple. Walking is repetitive, so get your body acclimated to the repetition. It's a good way to sort out early on what hurts and twinges, and adjust accordingly.

*Adding to say: yes, the treadmill is boring...but GET EXCITED for what's to come! Load up podcasts and playlists...whatever you have to do hype yourself up! And, after you get into the treadmill rhythm, start adding in a day or two a week of walking with your pack. Again, just to see if you need to adjust or tweak things.

You also mentioned yin yoga. As a yogi I say it's the perfect supplement to prep and condition your joints/ligaments.

Last edited:
Maybe a personal trainer is the way to go? Even a qualified health professional (I am neither), especially if you have health or physical issues affecting your mobility. Most of us would say 9km a day is, to put it mildly, a modest distance. Human beings are designed to walk and the only thing that can stop one from walking at a measured pace is boredom or distraction. Anyway, good luck with your prep.
I agree with 9km being modest!

Both boredom and distraction have been known to stop me. I’m famous for thinking of all the other things I should be doing, like laundry, cooking, cleaning, bla bla,

I agree with this. Keep it doable and dare I say, simple. Walking is repetitive, so get your body acclimated to the repetition. It's a good way to sort out early on what hurts and twinges, and adjust accordingly.

*Adding to say: yes, the treadmill is boring...but GET EXCITED for what's to come! Load up podcasts and playlists...whatever you have to do hype yourself up! And, after you get into the treadmill rhythm, start adding in a day or two a week of walking with your pack. Again, just to see if you need to adjust or tweak things.

You also mentioned yin yoga. As a yogi I say it's the perfect supplement to prep and condition your joints/ligaments.
I’ve always wanted to get into audio books, I think this is the perfect time!

I love yin yoga, it’s offered every Wednesday and Saturday after Pilates and I like to stack the two because I’m already at the studio. I am a CPA who sits for very long periods of time, and yin is a game changer for me, especially when it comes to stretching my hamstrings and hip flexors.

I generally try not to focus on the number on the scale. I actually took some measurements last week so I’ll track inches too! A little body recomposition would be fabulous!!
A couple of months ago I made a conscious decision to change my diet and increase my exercise to try to lose weight. My BMI at the time was close to 33 putting me well within the "obese" category. I have been walking about 11km and swimming for half an hour four or five days each week. With walks of a similar length on other days when the weather is suitable. I hate walking in the rain so on those wet days I travel to a gym instead and have an hour of cardiovascular exercise followed by a sauna. :cool: I have also made significant changes to my diet and run a large calorie deficit most days. I lost several kg within those first few weeks but then the weight loss stopped or perhaps more accurately slowed to a much less rapid rate. I soon realised that checking the scales every few days was being counter-productive for me - quite discouraging to see so little change. Although I am no longer losing weight at anything like the initial rate my waistline continues to decrease as fat there reduces and I am building muscle in other areas. It is very likely that my weight will reduce more gradually over a long period as a result of the changes I have made but I no longer intend to check the scales more than once a month or so. I am very much aware of feeling more healthy both physically and psychologically and I now feel that is of more value than a simple numerical result. A recent Camino walk on the very mountainous path on Gran Canaria proved to be far easier going than I remember my previous walk there to have been! :)

In 2015 I walked from Canterbury to Rome. A number of factors combined that led me to lose a lot of weight on that walk. Over the 66 days I lost 33 pounds. Half a pound per day. It may have been the very rapid weight loss on that walk which triggered the formation of gallstones which in turn took me to Lithuania for a cholecystectomy operation during Covid. Very rapid weight loss can be a risky business. I am glad to read that you are aiming for something more gradual and potentially sustainable.

1) Route is the Portuguese Coastal Way / Senda Littoral from Porto to Santiago about 187km/178km.
2) Planning around 20 days to complete, with shorter stages. Avg = 9km/day.

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
Ps Great app called 'Nutracheck' , presume it's available worldwide. You can set goals and it works out calories. It will also extract component parts of food intake eg protein, fibre, carbon, etc etc
User forum on there for sharing stories, motivation etc etc 👍🙂

A couple of months ago I made a conscious decision to change my diet and increase my exercise to try to lose weight. My BMI at the time was close to 33 putting me well within the "obese" category. I have been walking about 11km and swimming for half an hour four or five days each week. With walks of a similar length on other days when the weather is suitable. I hate walking in the rain so on those wet days I travel to a gym instead and have an hour of cardiovascular exercise followed by a sauna. :cool: I have also made significant changes to my diet and run a large calorie deficit most days. I lost several kg within those first few weeks but then the weight loss stopped or perhaps more accurately slowed to a much less rapid rate. I soon realised that checking the scales every few days was being counter-productive for me - quite discouraging to see so little change. Although I am no longer losing weight at anything like the initial rate my waistline continues to decrease as fat there reduces and I am building muscle in other areas. It is very likely that my weight will reduce more gradually over a long period as a result of the changes I have made but I no longer intend to check the scales more than once a month or so. I am very much aware of feeling more healthy both physically and psychologically and I now feel that is of more value than a simple numerical result. A recent Camino walk on the very mountainous path on Gran Canaria proved to be far easier going than I remember my previous walk there to have been! :)

In 2015 I walked from Canterbury to Rome. A number of factors combined that led me to lose a lot of weight on that walk. Over the 66 days I lost 33 pounds. Half a pound per day. It may have been the very rapid weight loss on that walk which triggered the formation of gallstones which in turn took me to Lithuania for a cholecystectomy operation during Covid. Very rapid weight loss can be a risky business. I am glad to read that you are aiming for something more gradual and potentially sustainable.
Hello Brady! What success you’ve had lately with the changes you’ve made, how exciting!! Gives me a little bit of hope. Running a deficit is on the list, I started tracking daily intake a few weeks ago, definitely not in a deficit yet 😬😬😬. Next week I plan on pairing back.

33 lbs in 60 days is unbelievable and a surgery during your walk sounds like a nightmare!!! Yes, slow and steady, nothing crazy but hopefully doable, that’s the goal. I did take measurements recently and plan to track inches lost too!

Thanks for sharing your story with me!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
33 lbs in 60 days is unbelievable and a surgery during your walk sounds like a nightmare!!!
I may not have explained very clearly. The surgery took place some years after the walk to Rome. But I had been having gallstone problems for several years before the surgery. The abdominal pains were either ignored by me or misdiagnosed for some time. In retrospect I think the rapid weight loss during the Rome walk may have been the trigger for the formation of the gallstones.

I agree with 9km being modest!

Both boredom and distraction have been known to stop me. I’m famous for thinking of all the other things I should be doing, like laundry, cooking, cleaning, bla bla,
But that´s the beauty of the camino, there are no other things you should be doing.

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
I have done Two Caminos in three visits and use "My fitness pal" to track diet and coordinate with "Map my Walk" to log exercise. Both apps allow and encourage you to invite friends to share results. I think that would be a better way than this forum. My start date is April 18 and I would be happy to friend you on the ap. We need each others email to connect. I will message you mine. Best of Luck!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I lost the weight of 2 backpacks before my last Camino and felt much better for it. I focused on the weight loss not on training (which for me happened on the Camino). I cut out sugar. Pretty much a low carb keto diet. I felt better and enjoyed my Camino more. Of course, I did not stick to keto in Spain!

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
DM me your user name on Strava and we can follow each other’s progress. Plus-sized bodies can do amazing things: that was one of the lessons I learned six months ago! ♥️

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
My thought is not to listen to any of us. See a physical therapist and then a good professional trainer for a safe training regimen that is tailored for your needs and a nutritionist for your weight lose. What works for one person may be the worst thing you can do for yourself.

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
I love your goals and how detail your plan is. This is fantastic. I might say to include on carrying the backpack to increase the weight of it slowly rather than put 16-18 pounds on your back. That was my problem when I added my backpack to my training. Start with about 6 pounds then add 2 pounds every 2 weeks until you get to your goal pack weight.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

I completed camino frances June this year starting in Saint John. I weighed about 115kg at the start + 180cm tall, 63 years old). I was not very fit so in the year before the camino I started walking up to 20km about twice a week (hard work at the beginning) and then towards the start 20km on 3 or 4 consecutive days. With that I felt ready. IMO 18km a day was not hard on the camino as you will have a whole day to complete this distance. An important factor is walking at a speed you feel comfortable with - too fast and you could fail. Instead you will find you get fit on route - one day I walked 50km in one day! At the end I only lost about 7kg but felt so much better. Good luck.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I see not much need to do a weighted backpack walk to someone who is losing weight. You are wearing extra weight already compared to the future you.

Would be a great goal for an overweight person to lose a full gear set or two of weight before the Camino. Then you know the Camino will not feel harder than you already do on a daily basis.

Maybe the last few weeks before the real Camino it makes sense to do a training walk or two with your actual Camino gear and see how it feels.

Training
Slowly Slowly
Don’t get too much into it too early and when the Camino arrives you will love it and lose more weight
(I always do )
Good luck

I love your goals and how detail your plan is. This is fantastic. I might say to include on carrying the backpack to increase the weight of it slowly rather than put 16-18 pounds on your back. That was my problem when I added my backpack to my training. Start with about 6 pounds then add 2 pounds every 2 weeks until you get to your goal pack weight.
Good luck and Buen Camino.
Thanks for the support! I will ramp up the weight, great idea. I’m hoping 59 travel with an 11lb pack!! Thx again Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
Good Luck!

I lost the weight of 2 backpacks before my last Camino and felt much better for it. I focused on the weight loss not on training (which for me happened on the Camino). I cut out sugar. Pretty much a low carb keto diet. I felt better and enjoyed my Camino more. Of course, I did not stick to keto in Spain!
Hoping to shed a few before my trip, it’s a struggle for me with my thyroid but I started tracking my macros on my fitness pal recently and am going to eat strict low carb. My doc (a quote famous low carb metabolic practitioner!) suggests “gated eating” where if I’m strict for a few days and haven’t lost a pound then I fast for a day or 2 until I do. I love fasting so I might try this.

I hope to not overindulge too much on the camino but I surely will. I’m actually looking forward to all the ham in Spain! Lol!

I see not much need to do a weighted backpack walk to someone who is losing weight. You are wearing extra weight already compared to the future you.

Would be a great goal for an overweight person to lose a full gear set or two of weight before the Camino. Then you know the Camino will not feel harder than you already do on a daily basis.

Maybe the last few weeks before the real Camino it makes sense to do a training walk or two with your actual Camino gear and see how it feels.
Yes I am carrying a lot of extra weight! I will consider this. Thank you for your insight!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I completed camino frances June this year starting in Saint John. I weighed about 115kg at the start + 180cm tall, 63 years old). I was not very fit so in the year before the camino I started walking up to 20km about twice a week (hard work at the beginning) and then towards the start 20km on 3 or 4 consecutive days. With that I felt ready. IMO 18km a day was not hard on the camino as you will have a whole day to complete this distance. An important factor is walking at a speed you feel comfortable with - too fast and you could fail. Instead you will find you get fit on route - one day I walked 50km in one day! At the end I only lost about 7kg but felt so much better. Good luck.
I forget that here at home I have very limited time to walk and try to accomplish it fast, but on the Camino I will have the whole day to accomplish it. That is throwing me off a little bit! I prefer a slow walk, I am kind of terrified if injuries after ankle surgery. Thanks for sharing with me!

My thought is not to listen to any of us. See a physical therapist and then a good professional trainer for a safe training regimen that is tailored for your needs and a nutritionist for your weight lose. What works for one person may be the worst thing you can do for yourself.
Ha, good point! I just wanted to verbalize my efforts, mainly for ME. I have a great doc who is also a personal trainer.

DM me your user name on Strava and we can follow each other’s progress. Plus-sized bodies can do amazing things: that was one of the lessons I learned six months ago! ♥️
Hello Gringa Zola’s! Thanks for this message ♥️♥️♥️. I’ve never used strava, I wonder if I should, googling it now, ha!

I can’t put off the things I want to accomplish in life because of my weight anymore. I knit my first sweater this year (always put it off because I didn’t want to knit in X size), sewed a bunch of clothing for myself (again, always put off), and I’m not waiting for the weight to come off anymore. I am who I am today :)

Thanks for sharing. I would love to hear more about your experience if you ever want to message me ♥️

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
I honor your committment to your goals. I lost 35 pounds before my first Camino and I focused on/ changed how/what I ate. More exercise will make you more hungry, but some fitness I think is also good. Consider adding intermittent fasting in your day - I am post menopausal so just need less calories than when I was 30. I now eat one GOOD meal daily (including dessert) and have kept this weight off for 3 years and I feel GREAT.!!! You are younger so probably will be able to eat more than me to lose weight - many people do well with two good meals a day for instance. There is a lot of information on this topic - Jason Fung MD, a Canadian nephrologist has done a lot of work on this. There are a lot of You tube videos and books - I had to understand how this works so I got a few key books. It makes a lot of sense. Low carb I think also helps, but balanced variety of food is important for our nutritional needs. Hunger is interesting - it comes and goes and isn't necessarily always because we need food. While doing this, I was able to start feeling the difference between when I was REALLY in need of food and when I was numbing my emotions. This process has been really empowering for me. Sometimes I still eat junk or too much and know I am suppressing my emotions, and I observe this and forgive myself and then move on. Buen Camino!

I honor your committment to your goals. I lost 35 pounds before my first Camino and I focused on/ changed how/what I ate. More exercise will make you more hungry, but some fitness I think is also good. Consider adding intermittent fasting in your day - I am post menopausal so just need less calories than when I was 30. I now eat one GOOD meal daily (including dessert) and have kept this weight off for 3 years and I feel GREAT.!!! You are younger so probably will be able to eat more than me to lose weight - many people do well with two good meals a day for instance. There is a lot of information on this topic - Jason Fung MD, a Canadian nephrologist has done a lot of work on this. There are a lot of You tube videos and books - I had to understand how this works so I got a few key books. It makes a lot of sense. Low carb I think also helps, but balanced variety of food is important for our nutritional needs. Hunger is interesting - it comes and goes and isn't necessarily always because we need food. While doing this, I was able to start feeling the difference between when I was REALLY in need of food and when I was numbing my emotions. This process has been really empowering for me. Sometimes I still eat junk or too much and know I am suppressing my emotions, and I observe this and forgive myself and then move on. Buen Camino!
Hello Barb! I love Dr. Fung! I need to get back into a fasting routine. I always have success when I fast, but sometimes I just give in. It will definitely be part of my upcoming weight loss. I eat way too much in a sitting to have 3 meals and lose weight. Unfortunately for me I have an uphill battle with thyroid disease when it comes to energy levels and weight loss but that’s ok, I will add it to the list of things I will conquer. I’m actually considering going dairy for the next few months to aid in weight loss. Thanks for chiming in Barb and sharing your experience!! My primary doc is actually Dr Tro, not sure if you’ve heard of him, he’s fantastic! I’ve been his patient for a year now and poor doc always says he has never met a patient like me that cant lose a lb. Anyway, alas, I’ll get there! Thanks again Barb!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was thinking to myself why does Dick think I’m only walking 9km a day? Well, I had a typo on my post. Sorry for the confusion. 9 miles a day will be the average, with some 6 mile days and some 12/15 mile days. Sorry for the confusion!

9 miles = 14.5 km
10 miles = 16.2 km
This is a respectable distance that many (most) pilgrims walk per day.

I think most try for 20 km (12 miles) per day average. It is difficult on the first few days but longer distances after that can keep the average near that goal. Many experienced pilgrims walk much longer daily averages..but I think the majority stay around the 20 km mark.
:cool:
Of course...if you are starting at the 100km mark it will not allow a lot of "later" days to boost the average.

I was thinking to myself why does Dick think I’m only walking 9km a day? Well, I had a typo on my post. Sorry for the confusion. 9 miles a day will be the average, with some 6 mile days and some 12/15 mile days. Sorry for the confusion!
So, that's more like 15 km/day average.
Since this is an international forum, and the Camino itself is in Spain where kilometers are used it's a good idea to start thinking in kms instead of miles. Plus, it sounds more impressive to say that you walked 15 km vs 9 miles. 😄

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
Sounds like a great plan, Barb! I wish you well. I expect you will be able to lose much more than 24 lbs.

Read the book, EAT, MOVE, SLEEP by Tom Rath. Its diet recommendations worked for me, but as said in this post, what one person does might not work for another. I'm over 60, not overweight, but I still lost 15 lbs in 45 days prior to this year's spring Camino. Cut out most white starch, carbs and sugar. Breakfast (after an hour in my home gym), if I chose to eat it, was no-fat Greek yogurt mixed with blueberries and sliced almonds, plus 2 or 3 cups of coffee. Lunch was a smoothie, usually a frozen banana blended with 2 oranges, handful of raw spinach and handful of broccoli florets. If too thick, add in skim or 2% milk (almond milk is an expensive scam). Alternatively have a salad. Regular dinner with huge salad plus chicken or fish, sometimes pork or beef. Don't eat after 6pm. Drink lots of water all day.

I hate treadmills, so I walk the dog 3x per day for a total of 5-10 miles. I'm not a fan of walking in rain, so I have a hand-me-down elliptical machine in the living room I use a few times a week. Great thing is that it is no impact, and you can go in reverse which might keep your knees happy. I did about an hour total each day of stretching and physical therapy for my chronic achilles tendonitis.

Once you get used to walking miles on flat ground, walk in hills.

I don't swim, but it is fantastic exercise for nearly all muscle groups, aerobic training and no impact.

Consider getting stand-up desk or work station.

Sounds like a great plan, Barb! I wish you well. I expect you will be able to lose much more than 24 lbs.

Read the book, EAT, MOVE, SLEEP by Tom Rath. Its diet recommendations worked for me, but as said in this post, what one person does might not work for another. I'm over 60, not overweight, but I still lost 15 lbs in 45 days prior to this year's spring Camino. Cut out most white starch, carbs and sugar. Breakfast (after an hour in my home gym), if I chose to eat it, was no-fat Greek yogurt mixed with blueberries and sliced almonds, plus 2 or 3 cups of coffee. Lunch was a smoothie, usually a frozen banana blended with 2 oranges, handful of raw spinach and handful of broccoli florets. If too thick, add in skim or 2% milk (almond milk is an expensive scam). Alternatively have a salad. Regular dinner with huge salad plus chicken or fish, sometimes pork or beef. Don't eat after 6pm. Drink lots of water all day.

I hate treadmills, so I walk the dog 3x per day for a total of 5-10 miles. I'm not a fan of walking in rain, so I have a hand-me-down elliptical machine in the living room I use a few times a week. Great thing is that it is no impact, and you can go in reverse which might keep your knees happy. I did about an hour total each day of stretching and physical therapy for my chronic achilles tendonitis.

Once you get used to walking miles on flat ground, walk in hills.

I don't swim, but it is fantastic exercise for nearly all muscle groups, aerobic training and no impact.

Consider getting stand-up desk or work station.
Hi Matty!! Thank you. I’m not thrilled with the treadmill but it’s winter here and I’m always nervous of slipping on ice, when it’s nice out I’ll definitely be hitting the roads.

I’ll get that book, I’ll need some audio books for the treadmill and I’ll add it to my list!!

Add hills, got it!

Thanks for all the insight and sharing with me! :)

Hi Lauren — greetings back from snowy New York. If you live in New York City — you might want to add walking the 6-mile (~10k) loop in Central Park to your training plan — eventually with a backpack and multiple loops. It’s a lot hillier than many people realize and will get you used to being on your feet for long periods of time, but with bathrooms and places to rest if you need them. And taking multiple loops is great for developing mental toughness. If you can make three times around Central Park, you can do anything. Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have given yourself lots of time to prepare - sounds like a really good start already. I am not a disciplined person and think that many others are similar - very few of us are these disciplined paragons of virtue that we think others are. My best laid plans often go haywire half way through the day and the walk/healthy eating I had planned for that day don't go to plan!

I've found that keeping in mind that tomorrow is always another day and that I am not a 'failure' though things might gone better. Then tomorrow is indeed another day and a fresh start! Just keep going one way or another and you will get there. All good wishes with your best efforts!!

Hi Lauren — greetings back from snowy New York. If you live in New York City — you might want to add walking the 6-mile (~10k) loop in Central Park to your training plan — eventually with a backpack and multiple loops. It’s a lot hillier than many people realize and will get you used to being on your feet for long periods of time, but with bathrooms and places to rest if you need them. And taking multiple loops is great for developing mental toughness. If you can make three times around Central Park, you can do anything. Good luck!
That’s a great thought. Maybe to practice I’ll take the train into the city for the day and commit to 3 loops, then stay in a hotel and maybe go to Nobu for sushi! I am actually planning to travel away to get some walking in and changing up my scenery!

get advice on a training plan for my Camino. Today, 12/7/23 marks 6 months until My Walk commences
It’s terrific that you’re starting to work on training six months before your Camino and giving it so much thought. The plan sounds great, but I wonder if you’re overthinking it, making it too ambitious and complicated and setting yourself up for a feeling of failure if you don’t meet your goals. I’m very familiar with the process.

In my imperfect opinion, you should just try as much as possible to duplicate the conditions that you’re going to find on the Camino. A combination of dirt roads, cobblestones, pavement, hills, sand, sidewalks, everything.

The Camino is walking through mixed countryside and town with a backpack. I think the best training to do that is to do exactly that.

And unfortunately you can train all you want, but unless you basically walk a Camino, you’ll never quite be prepared to walk a Camino. It’s the repetitious days that cause injuries that do people in.

The treadmill is great, but as soon as the weather gets better get outside. I live in Maine, so I know winter weather adds complications to a training program.

And when you start your Camino just take it super easy. Especially at first, but maybe the whole time. So what if you only walk five or 7 km to start with?

I’m confident that you can do it and have a wonderful Camino. And I suspect for you it’ll be a life-changing experience because you have to work so hard to do it.

Last edited:

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
The weight loss is a good idea - the less you “carry”, the better. We walked in our mid-60s, fit enough but not super fit, a bit overweight, arthritic knee and used to walking long distances (12-15 miles/20-25 km) without incident. What we found was that although we could handle long distances we had not trained for these distances on so many successive days. My toes didn’t like the constant pounding and blistered (not painfully) - it was not an issue with my shoes. 20 days for your distance is very manageable-we did 325 km in 19 days without any difficulty - could have done longer or in less time; many days we could have walked much further, but we had lots of time to enjoy the towns we stayed in. I admire you for your determination and planning. Stick to your plan, it will be worth it. The Camino experience is just wonderful.

Last edited:
Hi Matty!! Thank you. I’m not thrilled with the treadmill but it’s winter here and I’m always nervous of slipping on ice, when it’s nice out I’ll definitely be hitting the roads.

I’ll get that book, I’ll need some audio books for the treadmill and I’ll add it to my list!!

Add hills, got it!

Thanks for all the insight and sharing with me! :)
Hey Lauren, sorry I got your name wrong. Another idea: join your local American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter. At least in my neighborhood, the 2 chapters I belong to organize 2-4 hikes per month. Great chance to meet like minded Pilgrims who live near you, and maybe link up for some your training routines. One lady I know in PA does about 3 small-group hikes per week.

So, that's more like 15 km/day average.
Since this is an international forum, and the Camino itself is in Spain where kilometers are used it's a good idea to start thinking in kms instead of miles. Plus, it sounds more impressive to say that you walked 15 km vs 9 miles. 😄
Ha you’re so right, everyone says start thinking in km’s, no time like the present to switch my thinking!! I like your mental game too 😜

Hey Lauren, sorry I got your name wrong. Another idea: join your local American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter. At least in my neighborhood, the 2 chapters I belong to organize 2-4 hikes per month. Great chance to meet like minded Pilgrims who live near you, and maybe link up for some your training routines. One lady I know in PA does about 3 small-group hikes per week.
Oh wow I didn’t know that was a thing. Will start the google search. Thanks for the tip!

The weight loss is a good idea - the less you “carry”, the better. We walked in our mid-60s, fit enough but not super fit, a bit overweight, anrthritic knee and used to walking long distances (12-15 miles/20-25 km) without incident. What we found was that although we could handle long distances we had not trained for these distances on so many successive days. My toes didn’t like the constant pounding and blistered (not painfully) - it was not an issue with my shoes. 20 days for your distance is very manageable-we did 325 km in 19 days without any difficulty - could have done longer or in less time; many days we could have walked much further, but we had lots of time to enjoy the towns we stayed in. I admire you for your determination and planning. Stick to your plan, it will be worth it. The Camino experience is just wonderful.
What a lovely message Marian. Thank you for that. Thank you for sharing your experience with me, it sounds like you had a lovely Camino!! I’m nervous about the blisters and pounding too, I will see how my feet do for these training walks 😬😬😬. Bom Caminho!

It’s terrific that you’re starting to work on training six months before your Camino and giving it so much thought. The plan sounds great, but I wonder if you’re overthinking it, making it too ambitious and complicated and setting yourself up for a feeling of failure if you don’t meet your goals. I’m very familiar with the process.

In my imperfect opinion, you should just try as much as possible to duplicate the conditions that you’re going to find on the Camino. A combination of dirt roads, cobblestones, pavement, hills, sand, sidewalks, everything.

The Camino is walking through mixed countryside and town with a backpack. I think the best training to do that is to do exactly that.

And unfortunately you can train all you want, but unless you’re basically walk a Camino, you’ll never quite be prepared to walk a Camino. It’s the repetitious days that cause injuries that do people in.

The treadmill is great, but as soon as the weather gets better get outside. I live in Maine, so I know winter weather adds complications to a training program.

And when you start your Camino just take it super easy. Especially at first, but maybe the whole time. So what if you only walk five or 7 km to start with?

I’m confident that you can do it and have a wonderful Camino. And I suspect for you it’ll be a life-changing experience because you have to work so hard to do it.
Stephan! I overthink everything, so the likelihood of that being the case here is high! I’m already doing most of the things above already (Pilates yoga pickle weights short walks) but I definitely need to add long walks on repeated days into the mix.

I will try to mix up the conditions too, that’s a great suggestion and I appreciate your insight on that.

You’re right, even 5 or 6 miles a day is a lot on my body, I am sure I will feel like the queen of the world when I complete my camino walk. Looking forward to that. 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh wow I didn’t know that was a thing. Will start the google search. Thanks for the tip!
Here's the site

Skip miles. Do kms. :cool:

On a serious note: You seem to take preparation for the Camino very seriously. Good. You will be a success.

However, take notice:

I have done many Caminos. I have never prepared. I am now 69, and will be 70 before my next Camino in April. I should say that I am not overweight. and quite fit. I will start out from Pamplona (SJpdP is overrated and a tough day that will destroy many firsttimers on their first day).

You have plenty of time for walking before the wedding. Here's how I do it:

I start out slow, with a few days of 15 kms (deliberately, so you'll get used to kms). After a few days, you will be surprised how your strength is growing. But you will learn as you walk.

The Camino will work on your mindset, but in a discrete way. You will change without really realizing it. But it will be for your own good. You will understand more during walking.

Many say:

On week 1, you learn.
On week 2, you know.
On week 3, you help. You are in zen mode, and know it all.

Is it overkill? Is it not enough?
I don't want to presume what approach would work best for you, since we are all so different in both physical abilities and temperament. However, you did ask for input. ;)

When I read your plan in the OP, I have to admit that I was so overwhelmed with the details that I couldn't think what to say. I would personally never be able to keep up with that plan, even though I tend to be somewhat goal oriented, details focused, and organized!

I like the idea that @dick bird suggested - consulting a personal trainer or health professional about your overall routine and your wish for a long term lifestyle change. Perhaps you need to step back from the complexity, and simplify the goals, so that you can succeed and you can see and take satisfaction in your progress towards those simpler goals.

You have different things going on every day, including 3 days of intense pickle ball (is this risking injury, given the weight, knee and ankle issues?), 2 hours of walking/treadmill 3 days/week, calculated weighting of back pack, yoga, PT, snowshoeing, etc., etc. This seems to ignore or conflict with your self-identification as a "low energy person." Those are all excellent activities in their own right, but is the combination serving your particular needs in the best way?

You say that you do most of those things already. If so, that seems like a very active life, and all you need to do is shift some time over to ordinary walking since you want to train for a long walk.

When I first started seriously walking a few years ago, I found that it always took an hour of walking outdoors before my mind cleared and I got into a rhythm. Now I get to that state very quickly so my walking time is more enjoyable.

Be careful not to overtrain! Plan to ease up in the last couple of weeks to rest and avoid injury.

With 6 months to go, you should be confirming what shoes you will wear. You need to wear them enough to be confident that they will work for you, and then you should get a new pair of the same shoe shortly before departure.

I am 75, and my training goal is simply to walk 50-70 km/week. I do this because it is good for my mental and physical health, and I use the Camino as an extra incentive. In theory, I throw in a few stretching exercises, but I'm not very good at doing that regularly. I keep track of the distances and mark them on my calendar. I listen to podcasts and audiobooks, which helps get me walking on days when I'd rather not. Bone conduction headphones have changed my life!

Good luck. Your intention of walking a Camino is a great decision, as is joining this forum community!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A while ago I wrote a blog article to rationalize your daily distance during the Camino with your preparation. Daily walking distance now will correlate with the distances that you feel comfortable with on the trail.

Since you are 6 months out, then its the perfect time to adjust your daily walking goals:
https://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/04/26/physical-fitness-for-camino/

Howdy Lauren,

Since you asked...

One of the best things you've done is ask for support and now that you've done that you have all these strangers in your corner. If somehow you can be accountable then your chances of success skyrocket (I'm thinking Camino friends on Strava or Garmin, American Pilgrims and, of course, this forum).

Diet and training advice are all well and good except that we don't know where you sputter and sput so the best advice is to use your doc who is also a trainer. The guidance of someone who knows your health history is immeasurable.

As I read your plan I was thinking "holy smokes this is a lot for someone who says they are low energy"

Using the goal to jump-start your fitness is a fun idea and if you've bought your ticket to Portugal then you've made at the very least a financial commitment which will help motivate you to get walking. Then sharing your plans will keep you excited for your adventure.

Do you have any friends who will be your accountability buddies? Walk with you? Hit the gym? While doing this alone can be done it will be a ton more fun alongside someone else. My hope is as you make strides and your weight, endurance, strength etc. change so will your energy.

From some experience is there a trap door when tax season rolls around?

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
Lauren, I wish you all good as you continue on the way to prepare for your Camino. As others have said, there is no right way to either lose weight or get fitter for the Camino. Will do my next Camino in 2024. In addition to getting in 10k steps each day, I am doing a workout from Petra Genco (https://www.youtube.com/@petragenco) 3-4 times/week. I do these workouts at home, working them in around my schedule. Just offering this as another option. Blessings to you!

Lauren, thank you for posting your plan. I find it very inspiring!

You have mentioned multiple times that you are dreading the treadmill. One of the fun things I did during the Covid shut down was a "Camino in Place" on my treadmill. I watched this vlog by the Towning family while on the treadmill. Hokey, but fun, and hours and hours of episodes on the CF.

You mention you are good at planning, but not so much at "doing." Perhaps, you should "reward" yourself with a planning activity (such as posting or responding on the forum) by committing to walk 15 minutes on the treadmill between each post. I might just apply this rule to myself. :)

Just a thought! Best of luck to you. I'm so happy you shared your plan.

Skip miles. Do kms. :cool:

On a serious note: You seem to take preparation for the Camino very seriously. Good. You will be a success.

However, take notice:

I have done many Caminos. I have never prepared. I am now 69, and will be 70 before my next Camino in April. I should say that I am not overweight. and quite fit. I will start out from Pamplona (SJpdP is overrated and a tough day that will destroy many firsttimers on their first day).

You have plenty of time for walking before the wedding. Here's how I do it:

I start out slow, with a few days of 15 kms (deliberately, so you'll get used to kms). After a few days, you will be surprised how your strength is growing. But you will learn as you walk.

The Camino will work on your mindset, but in a discrete way. You will change without really realizing it. But it will be for your own good. You will understand more during walking.

Many say:

On week 1, you learn.
On week 2, you know.
On week 3, you help. You are in zen mode, and know it all.
I absolutely love this message, thank you!!

I’m excited for the journey. Thank you for taking the time to message me all this.

Learn, know, help. Sounds lovely.

I don't want to presume what approach would work best for you, since we are all so different in both physical abilities and temperament. However, you did ask for input. ;)

When I read your plan in the OP, I have to admit that I was so overwhelmed with the details that I couldn't think what to say. I would personally never be able to keep up with that plan, even though I tend to be somewhat goal oriented, details focused, and organized!

I like the idea that @dick bird suggested - consulting a personal trainer or health professional about your overall routine and your wish for a long term lifestyle change. Perhaps you need to step back from the complexity, and simplify the goals, so that you can succeed and you can see and take satisfaction in your progress towards those simpler goals.

You have different things going on every day, including 3 days of intense pickle ball (is this risking injury, given the weight, knee and ankle issues?), 2 hours of walking/treadmill 3 days/week, calculated weighting of back pack, yoga, PT, snowshoeing, etc., etc. This seems to ignore or conflict with your self-identification as a "low energy person." Those are all excellent activities in their own right, but is the combination serving your particular needs in the best way?

You say that you do most of those things already. If so, that seems like a very active life, and all you need to do is shift some time over to ordinary walking since you want to train for a long walk.

When I first started seriously walking a few years ago, I found that it always took an hour of walking outdoors before my mind cleared and I got into a rhythm. Now I get to that state very quickly so my walking time is more enjoyable.

Be careful not to overtrain! Plan to ease up in the last couple of weeks to rest and avoid injury.

With 6 months to go, you should be confirming what shoes you will wear. You need to wear them enough to be confident that they will work for you, and then you should get a new pair of the same shoe shortly before departure.

I am 75, and my training goal is simply to walk 50-70 km/week. I do this because it is good for my mental and physical health, and I use the Camino as an extra incentive. In theory, I throw in a few stretching exercises, but I'm not very good at doing that regularly. I keep track of the distances and mark them on my calendar. I listen to podcasts and audiobooks, which helps get me walking on days when I'd rather not. Bone conduction headphones have changed my life!

Good luck. Your intention of walking a Camino is a great decision, as is joining this forum community!
Thank you for the message!

I understand the overwhelm at the plan, it’s funny how it can have that effect on some but for me it’s rather comforting to spell it all out and schedule it, to make sure I can fit it in!

I am a pickleball instructor so quite competitive there! I do plan on not going crazy with pickle, limiting my session lengths, not playing as hard, and shifting my focus to walking.

You are so right that it takes time to be able to easily shift into walking mindset. I will try some audit books, I’ve always wanted to get into those. I’ve never heard of bone conducting headphones, will google!

I am trying out 4 pairs of shoes. 2 different altras and 2 different teva sandals. I can’t decide what route I wish to go, and will be trying these 4 over the next few months and then I’ll buy a fresh pair before the trip and break those in. I’m also going to choose a pack soon hopefully, I have a few I’m going to test.

Thank you very much for the time you took to message me and encourage me, and also talk some sense into me 😜

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Howdy Lauren,

Since you asked...

One of the best things you've done is ask for support and now that you've done that you have all these strangers in your corner. If somehow you can be accountable then your chances of success skyrocket (I'm thinking Camino friends on Strava or Garmin, American Pilgrims and, of course, this forum).

Diet and training advice are all well and good except that we don't know where you sputter and sput so the best advice is to use your doc who is also a trainer. The guidance of someone who knows your health history is immeasurable.

As I read your plan I was thinking "holy smokes this is a lot for someone who says they are low energy"

Using the goal to jump-start your fitness is a fun idea and if you've bought your ticket to Portugal then you've made at the very least a financial commitment which will help motivate you to get walking. Then sharing your plans will keep you excited for your adventure.

Do you have any friends who will be your accountability buddies? Walk with you? Hit the gym? While doing this alone can be done it will be a ton more fun alongside someone else. My hope is as you make strides and your weight, endurance, strength etc. change so will your energy.

From some experience is there a trap door when tax season rolls around?
Hello Zoro! Thanks for the message :)

I’m interesting, aren’t I? Because I like to do “the thing” whether it’s pickle or Pilates or a walk but then at home I am kind of lackadaisical around the house, if that makes sense.

I have a handful of friends that are going to come on my long walks with me! I’m so thankful for that. I have a very fit neighbor who does my shorter daily walks with me and then a few friends that will come on my 8/10/12/15 mile (er 13-25km) days. I might even take one friend to NYC with me for 2 days and she will help me do that Central part loop a few days in a row.

I have stepped back from doing lots of taxes, and now I do part time CFO/controller type of work. Mostly for the reason of my health actually!

Thanks for your message, ideas, and encouragement! 😊

Last edited:
That’s a great thought. Maybe to practice I’ll take the train into the city for the day and commit to 3 loops, then stay in a hotel and maybe go to Nobu for sushi! I am actually planning to travel away to get some walking in and changing up my scenery!
Another fun lengthy walk is Manhattan from top to bottom on Broadway. It is just about 13 miles, or the length of a typical stage on the Camino.

Lauren, I wish you all good as you continue on the way to prepare for your Camino. As others have said, there is no right way to either lose weight or get fitter for the Camino. Will do my next Camino in 2024. In addition to getting in 10k steps each day, I am doing a workout from Petra Genco (https://www.youtube.com/@petragenco) 3-4 times/week. I do these workouts at home, working them in around my schedule. Just offering this as another option. Blessings to you!
Buen Camino Kentucky!! I will check out the workout, thank you!

Lauren, thank you for posting your plan. I find it very inspiring!

You have mentioned multiple times that you are dreading the treadmill. One of the fun things I did during the Covid shut down was a "Camino in Place" on my treadmill. I watched this vlog by the Towning family while on the treadmill. Hokey, but fun, and hours and hours of episodes on the CF.

You mention you are good at planning, but not so much at "doing." Perhaps, you should "reward" yourself with a planning activity (such as posting or responding on the forum) by committing to walk 15 minutes on the treadmill between each post. I might just apply this rule to myself. :)

Just a thought! Best of luck to you. I'm so happy you shared your plan.
Julie and Peter! I was hoping my post and being vulnerable and sharing that some of us really have to “get ready” for the camino would be helpful to some. I’m so glad it was helpful for you, it makes me happy to hear that.

I am totally dreading the treadmill, you heard me right! I haven’t gotten into the YouTube scene yet, I’ll check this out! Thanks for sharing!

Oooo rewards …. That sounds lovely …

Maybe every hour of walking I get to buy something for my trip! Ha!

Another fun lengthy walk is Manhattan from top to bottom on Broadway. It is just about 13 miles, or the length of a typical stage on the Camino.
Ooh great idea! I am just a few hours from the city and go down often. This would kinda be like the camino but worse because of the smells and the concrete, lol. But I would surely find lots of delicious stuff to eat along the way! Thanks for the recommend!

Here's the site

Thx!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am totally dreading the treadmill, you heard me right! I haven’t gotten into the YouTube scene yet, I’ll check this out! Thanks for sharing!
I signed up for gym membership a couple of months ago. On my introductory tour the very first piece of equipment I was shown was a treadmill. On the screen was a video of the descent from the Grand San Bernard pass in the Alps. A route I had walked a few years ago! :) I visit the gym on those days when the weather is too poor for walking outdoors. I find it really does help to have music to distract me from the slowness of time passing and to encourage me to pick up the pace and maintain a rhythm. Much the same principle as military march music. I usually choose old familiar favourites like Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" or the Rocky Horror Show soundtrack that I can sing along with under what little breath I can still summon.... :cool:

Last edited:
I’m interesting, aren’t I? Because I like to do “the thing” whether it’s pickle or Pilates or a walk but then at home I am kind of laxidasical around the house, if that makes sense.
I'm the same way - just ask my husband! I think that he enjoys having the house to himself for the two months that I'm gone on the Camino and traveling because it stays orderly in my absence. 😄

Keep it simple is the best advice anyone gave me about getting ready for a camino. You're already doing plenty, and adding more walking might be enough.

It's absolutely true that walking on a treadmill can be boring. Thing is, that's not the treadmill's fault - 'boring' is in the mind. Change your mind, or find some external interest (podcasts?) and it gets much better.

I walked about 10km/day through 2½ years during Covid in a really confined space, back and forth like laps in a pool. It took a while to find the groove, but one thing that helped immensely was walking a virtual Camino - tracking the daily progress based on what I'd walked that day. That really kept me going.

One thing @C clearly mentioned is worth repeating. Be careful of overuse injury. Walking all on concrete (as in Manhattan) is asking for trouble. Vary your surfaces if you can, and minimize the hard ones.

But I would surely find lots of delicious stuff to eat along the way!
Haha! You want to neutralize all your good efforts? I thought not. 🙃

Buen camino, peregrina! Do let us know how it goes.

Keep it simple is the best advice anyone gave me about getting ready for a camino. You're already doing plenty, and adding more walking might be enough.

It's absolutely true that walking on a treadmill can be boring. Thing is, that's not the treadmill's fault - 'boring' is in the mind. Change your mind, or find some external interest (podcasts?) and it gets much better.

I walked about 10km/day through 2½ years during Covid in a really confined space, back and forth like laps in a pool. It took a while to find the groove, but one thing that helped immensely was walking a virtual Camino - tracking the daily progress based on what I'd walked that day. That really kept me going.

One thing @C clearly mentioned is worth repeating. Be careful of overuse injury. Walking all on concrete (as in Manhattan) is asking for trouble. Vary your surfaces if you can, and minimize the hard ones.

Haha! You want to neutralize all your good efforts? I thought not. 🙃

Buen camino, peregrina! Do let us know how it goes.
Peregrina, I rather like the sound of that! 😊😊😊

Lauren....Thanks for starting and continuing this thread.

There are many folks watching here (not posting) that are in a similar situation and have been longing for help in planning a camino. They are reluctant or embarassed to ask the questions or wondering if it would be possible for them to take part in the adventure.

You have opened a whole new access for anyone with the same questions.

Good on ya.

I'm the same way - just ask my husband! I think that he enjoys having the house to himself for the two months that I'm gone on the Camino and traveling because it stays orderly in my absence. 😄
🤣🤣🤣 I am sure my husband will be equally thrilled, especially if I bring my daughter with me, just him and the boys (dogs and cats) and none of my sh*t laying around. Ha. Thanks for sharing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lauren....Thanks for starting and continuing this thread.

There are many folks watching here (not posting) that are in a similar situation and have been longing for help in planning a camino. They are reluctant or embarassed to ask the questions or wondering if it would be possible for them to take part in the adventure.

You have opened a whole new access for anyone with the same questions.

Good on ya.
Thank you! I was hoping the more I share, the more I can inspire others while helping myself, a classic “two-for”. Thanks for noticing! ♥️

Weekly:

Weight Loss Plan:

Thank you everyone!
I think this may be more than you need. If it works for you, great! Your Camino will be a breeze. If it becomes too much, you can tone it back. I usually focus on the walking with a loaded backpack for my training, starting with walks two or three times a week with walks of 3-5 miles, increasing the distance steadily week by week to 12-15 miles, and more gradually increasing the frequency. When I can walk 12 miles three days in a row (without pain), I know I am ready.

I think this may be more than you need. If it works for you, great! Your Camino will be a breeze. If it becomes too much, you can tone it back. I usually focus on the walking with a loaded backpack for my training, starting with walks two or three times a week with walks of 3-5 miles, increasing the distance steadily week by week to 12-15 miles, and more gradually increasing the frequency. When I can walk 12 miles three days in a row (without pain), I know I am ready.
That’s so great that you have a sign when you’re ready! Maybe I’ll use that distance and frequency as a very general guideline, thank you for chiming in!

My own experience of being a very overweight and unfit Pilgrim taught me this.
Your mileage may vary......... ;)

On my first Camino I got a Personal Trainer and did lots of training............
and got injured due to my excess bodyweight.

I walked my first 800 km Camino injured as a result..........and still very overweight.
I walked 18-25 km / day with the odd 30 km (that nearly crippled me).
I could barely walk 10 kms / day by the end.

2nd and 3rd Caminos, I did some very 'gentle' exercise with my wife Pat who was coming too.
We also walked much shorter days for her. 18 km average.
We tried to lose a bit of body weight without much success.
But the shorter days led to only 'manageable' injuries. Plantaar Facitis and Achilles Tendonitis.
No shin splints this time.

4th and longest Camino (1200 kms this year)
I focussed 95% on weight loss. with very little training.
I lost 18 kg through intermittent fasting.
The Camino was easy this time without any injury or discomfort.
I managed to just get into the BMI range of overweight rather than my normal 'obese'.
So I was still 'fat'. But it made a huge difference.

My 'training' these days consists of a few gentle 5 km walks in the weeks before I depart.
Maybe 2 / week. Carrying a light pack.
Then I 'warm up' on Camino, building up my days slowly.
10 kms, 14 kms, 18 kms, 20 kms etc. My sweet spot is 20-25 kms / day.
I think this gradual 'warm up' is key.
Many people seem to get injured in the first 7-10 days by traying to walk too far too fast.
IMHO, you need to ease into it unless you are starting out as a fit strong hiker!

I have a regular debate with my business partner who is really skinny.
He keeps telling me to exercise more prior to my Caminos........
As this will help me lose weight.

I just ask him how much exercise it would take to lose the weight gained by eating a Big Mac!
(A brisk walk for about 90 mins)............

Much easier not to eat the fatty/excess foods in the first place ;);)
Which is hard for a food and wine lover...........but it's still easier than becoming a gym junkie and seeing slow progress.

Your 1 lb / week is a sensible and 'maintainable' goal.
Too big a goal is very hard to maintain.

When in 'training' for a Camino I weigh myself daily and have charts of my progress.
I start out at 1 kg / week and tail back to 500 gms as I get closer to my goal.
I start about 6 months out.

Keeping the weight off post Camino is my next challenge :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But hey. You sound determined.
You just need to find a preparation regime that will work for you! ;)

My suggestion is as follows:

SLOW DOWN!

Question: Are you working with a trainer and/or seeing a physical therapist now??

I must advise caution here. I understand that you have consulted with and been cleared by your physician to undertake this walk. You would do well to seek a professional trainer to work with you, if you don’t have one already. Given your physical injuries, walking on a treadmill with a back pack for such lengths of time might not be advisable!?

Why not take a kinder, gentler approach. Many folks who go on a camino, wind up lifers. The Camino becomes part of their DNA. Or they add other walking/adventure challenges.
Your 24lb weight loss goal is doable in 6 months. In my honest opinion, your training program may not be an appropriate one for where you may physically be at this point. Seek out someone who can work with you. I know you are looking for assistance from us and am excited for you that you want to walk! But, I encourage you to consult with someone who can assess exactly where you are, physically and Guide you as you prepare for this adventure!

Consider using a transport service for your pack daily, or as needed. You can decide upon that later, but given the ankle and knee injuries and body weight it might be advisable.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about training with a backpack on until the last couple of months before you leave. For now, focus on walking - daily if possible. Podcasts really help me when I'm doing my neighborhood loop for the 379th time! There are a number of Camino podcasts that you might find interesting, or you can listen to podcasts to learn Spanish.

Before my first Camino I was walking 8 km/5 miles a day, and only walked with my backpack two or three times. I was 20+ years older than you @laurenligreci, though I didn't have the physical and weight issues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wouldn't worry about training with a backpack on until the last couple of months before you leave. For now, focus on walking - daily if possible. Podcasts really help me when I'm doing my neighborhood loop for the 379th time! There are a number of Camino podcasts that you might find interesting, or you can listen to podcasts to learn Spanish.

Before my first Camino I was walking 8 km/5 miles a day, and only walked with my backpack two or three times. I was 20+ years older than you @laurenligreci, though I didn't have the physical and weight issues.
When you walk make sure you get in sufficient road walking as you will frequently be on hard surfaces on the camino. Treadmills won’t harden your feet enough.

I admire your challenge and desire.
Please check out a diet called fast metabolism. It is imperative to follow it exactly. You cannot substitute any changes in it. It is calculated to perfection.

Be prepared to lose 15 to 20 ( or more) pounds every 28 day period.

1 pound a week and all that exercising? Too much exercising slows down a person's metabolism. So does starving. This diet works if you follow it exactly.

Do that and you will cut your weight in half in 6 months.

I hiked from Porto in 11 days and was 20 pounds overweight.

I was 65 then and had about a 16 pound pack. My knee was really hurting after 4 days. Prayer helped plenty.

Good luck! Buen Camino.

This thread is posted in the “Health and Medical Topics” subforum. But that sub-forum doesn’t include “giving medical advice.“ Some of what’s been mentioned on this thread strikes me as coming close to that line. We recognize that lots of people have lots of different ideas about weight loss, but internet medical advice to a forum member about diet is not appropriate.

This thread is posted in the “Health and Medical Topics” subforum. But that sub-forum doesn’t include “giving medical advice.“ Some of what’s been mentioned on this thread strikes me as coming close to that line. We recognize that lots of people have lots of different ideas about weight loss, but internet medical advice to a forum member about diet is not appropriate.
Don’t worry, I’m not going to listen to anyone anyway 🤣

I admire your challenge and desire.
Please check out a diet called fast metabolism. It is imperative to follow it exactly. You cannot substitute any changes in it. It is calculated to perfection.

Be prepared to lose 15 to 20 ( or more) pounds every 28 day period.

1 pound a week and all that exercising? Too much exercising slows down a person's metabolism. So does starving. This diet works if you follow it exactly.

Do that and you will cut your weight in half in 6 months.

I hiked from Porto in 11 days and was 20 pounds overweight.

I was 65 then and had about a 16 pound pack. My knee was really hurting after 4 days. Prayer helped plenty.

Good luck! Buen Camino.
Thanks for sharing with me Gary. Funny, I have about 8 family members that share your name, it’s nice to meet another Gary! Bom Caminho!

When you walk make sure you get in sufficient road walking as you will frequently be on hard surfaces on the camino. Treadmills won’t harden your feet enough.
Noted, thank you! March to June I’ll be on the road here, hopefully that does it! In the winter I’ll largely be stuck inside unfortunately.

Don’t worry, I’m not going to listen to anyone anyway 🤣
That’s a great response, @laurenligreci. Not often that I get a belly laugh on the forum.

Like everyone else on the forum, I have a lot of passionate ideas about camino-related things and frequently find myself edging into the “advice” column, when really all I meant to do was give support — which is what I’m sending now!

Wishing you a wonderful camino! The 6 months between now and then will probably go painfully slow at times, and I’ll bet there will be times filled with a near panic-like “omg, what did I get myself into!” Just take a deep breath and know you can do it! There’s nothing like a first camino — so many of us have said how very much we’d like to go back and experience it again. Not because it’s 100% fun 100% of the time, which it isn’t, but because it allowed us to experience something so wonderful and so far out of our normal life parameters!

Keep in mind that exercise is like, 3% of weight loss. Diet is the rest, generally speaking. Exercise is non-negotiable in my mind.

I hate to diet. My wife and I are working on this together. We walk and hike a lot. We walk long distances. We will be on the Frances during your pilgrimage.

That’s a great response, @laurenligreci. Not often that I get a belly laugh on the forum.

Like everyone else on the forum, I have a lot of passionate ideas about camino-related things and frequently find myself edging into the “advice” column, when really all I meant to do was give support — which is what I’m sending now!

Wishing you a wonderful camino! The 6 months between now and then will probably go painfully slow at times, and I’ll bet there will be times filled with a near panic-like “omg, what did I get myself into!” Just take a deep breath and know you can do it! There’s nothing like a first camino — so many of us have said how very much we’d like to go back and experience it again. Not because it’s 100% fun 100% of the time, which it isn’t, but because it allowed us to experience something so wonderful and so far out of our normal life parameters!
Glad I could give you a chuckle! 🤣

I am so appreciative of everyone’s support. It really is heartwarming. It’s hard not to give advice and I’m open to hearing everything and taking what I need at the time.

I am glad you went though that too, I panic at least once a day. Lucky for me it has already happened today, so I am good for at least 16 more hours. 😂

I am excited for the journey, the planning portion as well as the walk.

I’m excited to do *something*.

I’m not sure I’ll ever feel ready, but everyone on here has given me such confidence that all will be well, that I am feeling I could be ready without ever knowing it, until it happens.

Now onto the topic of “oh crap I am only kinda good at Spanish and now I have to learn Portuguese, now what should I do”. Lol. I’ll save that forum search for Monday.

Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.