• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

West Yorkshire guy needs to find himself out of the rat race

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Fellow Pilgrims,

I am planning doing as much of the route through France and Spain from the end of May as possible.

Its going to take a little research I guess - if U needed to recommend one book to read (other than fiction) to give me a good idea of what equipment I need to take and what plans I need to make...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Futurefjp,

Welcome to the best, though perhaps most poorly edited, "book" on the Camino you will ever encounter.

There are guidebooks galore, there are books of reportage sufficient to make 24 News channels wince and there is printed fiction of every hue from the nearly factual to the barely credible. But this forum may well contain everything that the aspiring or the inspired pilgrim might ever require (other than good boots and a fair wind). :) If you feel the need for research, for data, information or just re-assurance then this is the place. If you like to read books...
I have enjoyed both Nicholas Crane and John Hillabys' accounts of their encounters with the Camino, though neither wrote specifically about it, and returned Paul Coehlo's book to the Library after 1 chapter.

Hi Futurefjp. If you're anywhere near Halifax we could have a chat over a beer. I know nothing about the French routes, though. Send a personal message if you'd like any info. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In terms of practical guides I recommend you look at and buy the CSJ guides. http://www.csj.org.uk.

Lots of people here love John Brierley, but I am not a fan.

The Cockershell Pilgrim by Katherine Lack is of no use to the modern pigrim, but it a great read and will provide a map on which to build the ethos/spirituality of your pilgrimage. You should pick up a sense of standing in the long line of pilgrims who have walked the way.

I am wary of the modern accounts because they tell you nothing that you cannot discover for yourself if you walk the Way. (Stands back having lit a fuse!).

Focus on the practicalities rather than the biographies.

Just to be tongue in cheek (and cheeky). The best way for a West Yorkshire guy to get out of the rat race is surely to go to red rose country? :twisted:

The best way for a West Yorkshire guy to get out of the rat race is surely to go to red rose country?

which is what I did when I defected from South Yorkshire. :twisted:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back