• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What distances should we use?

Bachiu

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
We are getting quite confused in planning our route on the Camino del Norte. As an example, Wise Pilgrim shows the distance between Noja and Loredo 27kms. On Google maps it is 18kms. We are struggling to know which distance to rely on as correct as the differences in distances are significant. Thank you to anyone who can give us some insight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unlike the marked pilgrim path, Google maps simply shows you the shortest route between two points. The Camino may meander, avoid larger roads, follow “unknown” country paths, visit important sites, etc. Both are correct. If you plan to walk a Camino, use the app. If you simply need to get somewhere as fast as possible, Google Maps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are getting quite confused in planning our route on the Camino del Norte. As an example, Wise Pilgrim shows the distance between Noja and Loredo 27kms. On Google maps it is 18kms. We are struggling to know which distance to rely on as correct as the differences in distances are significant. Thank you to anyone who can give us some insight.
Plan for 27 km and hope for 18 km. :)
In reality, the best explanation already given is that it is likely the Wise Pilgrim figures are the most accurate in that it is measuring Kms based on the actual route walked. Google maps is not able to reproduce that same path, as its algorithms rely on the major and minor streets and roads and pathways that are programmed into it. Camino walking routes do not usually figure in to this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go with the app for a good estimate. Your day to day will inevitably be longer when you take in account side trips, getting lost, sightseeing etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most of the time Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino is closer to what you actually walk. Of course, there are always a few wrong turns and detours. I usually add a few kms and hope I get there sooner! I kept track of last year's differences. You can see some days are wildly different.
View attachment 157122
I used a service to book everything in advance. The second day, I passed the inn and went 3 miles too far and had to walk back. I took a bus from a coffee shop to Santillana del mar, so I was significantly under that day.
After the second day, I made sure I knew where the hotel was. I used google when I got close to where I was going to stay and checked to see if the Camino on Buen Camino was going the same way. You can download the files for the Camino stages to Google or maps.me. Here's a thread about downloading the maps: Map Download Thread.

Inexperienced hikers should note that all kilometres undertaken after lunch are exactly twice as long as kilometres walked before lunch. This is a long-standing European tradition.

It is also worth noting that all kilometres walked in heavy rain are equivalent to 1.5 kilometres in dry conditions.

Other kilometres may vary in actual length depending on the weight of your pack, comfort of your boots, and the charm of your walking companions.

None of this really matters because you will reach your destination. Your bunk bed will be as comfortable as necessary. The Menu Peregrino will include protein, carbohydrates and wine. And, in the morning, if my old Gods, yours, or whatever one(s) are awake at the time are smiling, you'll get to do it all over again ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Inexperienced hikers should note that all kilometres undertaken after lunch are exactly twice as long as kilometres walked before lunch. This is a long-standing European tradition.

It is also worth noting that all kilometres walked in heavy rain are equivalent to 1.5 kilometres in dry conditions.

Other kilometres may vary in actual length depending on the weight of your pack, comfort of your boots, and the charm of your walking companions.

None of this really matters because you will reach your destination. Your bunk bed will be as comfortable as necessary. The Menu Peregrino will include protein, carbohydrates and wine. And, in the morning, if my old Gods, yours, or whatever one(s) are awake at the time are smiling, you'll get to do it all over again ;)
That is just about the best response ever. Thank you. You made our day.

Brieeg checked the distances in his guides using two GPS trackers
@peterhore I think you meant Brierley, and yes he did double-check measurable distances. And you will still find people (pilgrims?) (oops) claiming that his distances aren't accurate because the last bit up-the-hill into Llareggub was twice as far as stated

Noja to Laredo has several walking options. I went with my route option first towards Isla. Near Arnuero the road reaches back to the highway.

From Ajo to Glizano I chose to walk the route option closer to the ocean. Not that many views to the ocean but way better than going along the highway. This stretch is not an easy walk because its only on asphalt, has no benches and is extremely hilly.

From Galizano you can keep avoiding the highway by going towards Langre and from there reaching Loredo.

The short option would be to spend the full day on the highway. Out of Galizano there is a dedicated pedestrian walking zone, but the side routes are way more adventurous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah Loredo:
As I walked out on the streets of Loredo
As I walked out on Loredo one day
I spied a young pilgrim all wrapped in white linen
All wrapped in white linen as cold as the clay
He sang: Beat the drum slowly, play the fife lowly
Play up the dead march as you bear me along
Take me to the green valley, lay the sod o'er me
For I'm a young pilgrim and I know I've done wrong…

Loredo does also have La Artesana for pilgrims who’ve retained an appetite for life

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah Loredo:
As I walked out on the streets of Loredo
As I walked out on Loredo one day
I spied a young pilgrim all wrapped in white linen
All wrapped in white linen as cold as the clay
He sang: Beat the drum slowly, play the fife lowly
Play up the dead march as you bear me along
Take me to the green valley, lay the sod o'er me
For I'm a young pilgrim and I know I've done wrong…

Loredo does also have La Artesana for pilgrims who’ve retained an appetite for life
Love it.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back