• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What happened to the train?

Lyndale

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Aug(2013), Portuguese (2018) Le Puy (2019)
Just doing a bit of Camino dreaming and was looking at Rome2Rio. Appears there is no longer a train from Bayonne to SJPDP? Or just too early in the season?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just doing a bit of Camino dreaming and was looking at Rome2Rio. Appears there is no longer a train from Bayonne to SJPDP? Or just too early in the season?
Hola, If I recall a post from 2017 it appears that this section of the line is often affected by snow or other weather and since the passenger numbers are lower between March and May the buses replace the trains. Hope this helps other pilgrims with their planning. Cheers

Thanks all. Checked Peregrina 2013's link and there are plenty of trains running. Hope to be on one soon

Storms this past year affected the tracks. They are still working to reopen them - unknown ETA. Until then, riders transfer to a bus to complete the journey.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a strong contender for the most popular question on this forum in 2022 ;)

(Short answer: the train from Bayonne to SJPP has been replaced by a bus for part of its route, at least temporarily. You can still book the entire journey via the SNCF website or app.)

AFAIK there were some (!!!) landslides and other mishaps on the track.
Hold'yer horses, they are repairing it as fast as it is possible!
But good craftsmen are hard to find and the building-industry is very busy these days!

ust doing a bit of Camino dreaming and was looking at Rome2Rio. Appears there is no longer a train from Bayonne to SJPDP?
Good to see that you have been provided with more useful links now. My question would be: What happened to Rome2Rio? I don't find them as useful and as reliable as I remember them from the past.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And hallelujah, spread the news: Not only did SNCF put their timetable for the pilgrim season for the train from Bayonne to SJPP on the web - that happened already a few weeks ago - but Alsa has now also put their timetable for the bus from Pamplona to SJPP on the web. @Rick of Rick and Peg, have you seen this?

<sigh of relief>

Good to see that you have been provided with more useful links now. My question would be: What happened to Rome2Rio? I don't find them as useful and as reliable as I remember them from the past.
Rome2rio have been acquired by another aggregator. The focus seems to be moving toward secondary selling of tickets. While I’ve no evidence that that is impacting the output from the site there would be little value to the business in promoting routes that do not offer earning opportunities 🙁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a little like Flixbus buying up other bus companies all over Europe and then delivering less than timely services

When I booked my flight for Biarritz in 3 weeks time I arrive at 9.55am and the earliest train out of Bayonne was at 2.35pm and arriving an hour later with one change , the earlier train is at 8.50am so it gives me plenty of time to get the bus to Bayonne and have a light lunch before I get the train ..the other alternative is 3 buses and with a backpack I don't want to be doing that then I would need to ask each driver to let me know which stops to let me off at..then there is a taxi too expensive seems I am going solo on the Camino so for me it's the train Buen Camino

the other alternative is 3 buses and with a backpack I don't want to be doing that then I would need to ask each driver to let me know which stops to let me off at.
If you put your starting bus stop and end or changeover point into Google Maps, select public transport as the mode of travel and click start, Maps will recognise that you are on the bus and will show you where your stop is as the bus goes along and so you don't have to rely on the driver remembering to tell you where to get off.

In fact if you put your starting address and end address Google Maps will direct you to the bus stop, show you all the interchanges, including how to navigate the interchanges and will direct you from your final bus stop to your destination.

Give it a whirl.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you put your starting bus stop and end or changeover point into Google Maps, select public transport as the mode of travel and click start, Maps will recognise that you are on the bus and will show you where your stop is as the bus goes along and so you don't have to rely on the driver remembering to tell you where to get off.

In fact if you put your starting address and end address Google Maps will direct you to the bus stop, show you all the interchanges, including how to navigate the interchanges and will direct you from your final bus stop to your destination.

Give it a whirl.
True to the point there as I use it here in the UK if I need to go somewhere new around our city as our public transport has WiFi but using my data allowance could be costly especially if there is a weak signal so the train option sounds better and quicker and I only have a 5 minute to walk to my hostel from the station but I will use it to see where to locate my other accommodation en route especially in the bigger city of Pamplona and Leon

True to the point there as I use it here in the UK if I need to go somewhere new around our city as our public transport has WiFi but using my data allowance could be costly especially if there is a weak signal so the train option sounds better and quicker and I only have a 5 minute to walk to my hostel from the station but I will use it to see where to locate my other accommodation en route especially in the bigger city of Pamplona and Leon
What ever works best for you. I find that Google Maps uses very little data and so I happily use it using my mobile data. 🥝🙂👍

When I booked my flight for Biarritz in 3 weeks time I arrive at 9.55am and the earliest train out of Bayonne was at 2.35pm and arriving an hour later with one change , the earlier train is at 8.50am so it gives me plenty of time to get the bus to Bayonne and have a light lunch before I get the train ..the other alternative is 3 buses and with a backpack I don't want to be doing that then I would need to ask each driver to let me know which stops to let me off at..then there is a taxi too expensive seems I am going solo on the Camino so for me it's the train Buen Camino
I use just the ancient method of asking locals in public transport where to get off....;)
Sometimes I do feel weird by communicating with others and interrupt them while looking at their mobiles. :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just bought our tickets from SNCF - Bayonne to SJPP for March 24th. No train all the way at any good time that I saw. Went with train to Cambo les bains and transfer to bus to SJPP. OP question a very good one. I have watched this issue all winter and didn't see a train going all the way.

Sometimes major repairs can put part of the line down for many months. This was the case for Le Puy en Velais for a long time around 2017.

Also noted that the ticket cost is way higher for the train than the bus..... Like 3x higher for Bordeaux to Bayonne..... same duration of trip.... and all leaving from same stations.....

Rome2rio have been acquired by another aggregator. The focus seems to be moving toward secondary selling of tickets. While I’ve no evidence that that is impacting the output from the site there would be little value to the business in promoting routes that do not offer earning opportunities 🙁
This is really a shame! They used to be really good at showing the small local bus companies or municipal transports, so you could really track the various routes town to town. I've noticed, like others, that now all you seem to get is the big bus companies and perhaps the train.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back