• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What made you pick your 2nd or next camino choice?

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
I feel the Camino urge coming on again.
Thinking about options...
Which makes me wonder how those of you picked your next Camino.

1.VDLP. While in Zamora I saw a route map in the albergue and that got me interested in the Levante.

2.Levante + Invierno. Didn't have time to do the Northern VDLP route.

Now thinking about 2 options.
Would like to do a Camino with my daughter when she graduates. Thinking about a Piemont/ Frances combo so she can use the French she has been studying...

Otherwise, I haven't been to Madrid yet so a Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo combo with my partner.

I have enough leave to do a solid 6 weeks as I get 8 weeks of leave per year.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2013 I stated the VDLP from Merida - lasted 5 or 6 days (foot injury); 2015 I cycled the Camino Frances from Pamplona; In 2017 I returned to walk this camino. I wanted to see it at 4km per hour rather than the 20km on the bike. It was a lot more enjoyable.

After 3 x CF I wanted a 'different' challenge, a more remote Camino and greater Solitude.
So walked VdlP Seville to Astorga. It was all of that.
For similar reasons I walked the Invierno. Landscapes and solitude plus plus....
I tried the Fisterra / Muxia 'extension' as something different and as a wind down. Loved it.

Next? Maybe the early part of Le Puy.........
I don't feel the need to reach Santiago any more.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After 3 x CF I wanted a 'different' challenge, a more remote Camino and greater Solitude.
For similar reasons I walked the Invierno. Landscapes and solitude plus plus....
I tried the Fisterra / Muxia 'extension' as something different and as a wind down. Loved it.

Does one ever actually "reach " Santiago ? Took me 10 years to get the hang of the place and that was sitting in a small square with a very large ice-cream!

Vaya con Dios

Samarkand.

In summer-break I will walk the CP litoral and Variante Espiritual.
It was the next thing that I want to walk after my CF in 2019.
Lucky me, that I will have 3 weeks off, after returning from SdC and Finisterre I will relax a few days on the coast in Porto.

I think I may be something of an outlier - I was appalled on arrival to Santiago. The Cathedral itself was hidden behind scaffolding and the square in front of it was busy with newly arrived and arriving Pilgrims in various states of celebration. It was also busy with salespeople offering services ranging from packing and shipping my bike to helping me achieve a spiritual or mental calmness that I had seemingly failed to achieve. I was particularly appalled by all the souvenir tat in shop after shop after shop.
I visited the Cathedral and was moved by the sight of confessions available in so many different languages for Pilgrims but shocked at the behaviour of some of the people within the walls. I queued for my Compostela and was amused at the whinging, moaning and complaining of others in the queue. Weeks to walk to Santiago and a few minutes of waiting seemed intolerable. And I was so grateful that I wasn't finishing here. The destination would have been nothing in comparison to the journey.

Santiago wasn't my final destination but a half way point. I still had to cycle home.

In hindsight, I had the benefit of a Camino in three distinct parts. While I started the Camino at my front door (a local Trappist Monastery being my first "sello"), I made my own way to Paris, then to the coast to follow the sea before starting "My Camino" in SJPP. After Santiago, I had a week exploring the west coast with a friend, a return to Santiago for a Compostela then a long journey home, following my nose. On the way back, camping, I got to see Spain away from the Pilgrim Lifestyle. I wasn't awoken predawn nor had to be in bed early. I met different kinds of travellers and ate in places that rarely saw a Pilgrim.

Later that year, on a cold winter night I was playing with Google maps and looking to see where my "Camino distance" of some 6-6500 km would bring me. I was genuinely shocked to discover that I could cycle from my front door to Russia! Or a full exploration of Greece and Turkey! All places I've wanted to visit since I was a kid. Or across the USA. Or even Canada!

Somewhere in the back of my mind the wheels were crunching and prioritising the things that I took from my Camino. Far and above everything else was the humanity of the experience.
Joining the "virgin" pilgrims in SJPP and the magic in the air is something I hope to have with me always.
Meeting the huge variety of people along the way, local and pilgrim, the sheer diversity of folk and the immense goodwill and kindness of so many locals. Meeting people who struggled silently with infirmity or injury and others who complained loudly and continuously at the slightest inconvenience. The generosity of some pilgrims and the sheer petty-minded selfishness of others.

The chance, random encounters at a café or on the side of the road, the chance to exchange words of encouragement, or where language was an issue, gestures of encouragement, was something of a shock. The power in a smile. In a nod. It was educational and it prompted the question of "why here?". What's so special about this route?

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the route. It was me. It was how I carried myself, how I perceived things, how I processed things and how I projected myself to others.
The easiest way to get someone to smile at you? Give them a smile! The easiest way to strike up a conversation with a stranger? Make yourself open to it. The best way to enjoy food or a cold glass of water? Arrive hungry and thirsty.

So when I got home I changed some things. Enough became enough. More than enough was excess and unnecessary. I travelled on my bike in the same Camino manner - haphazardly and less planned, responding to what was all around me as opposed to what I thought would be.
I didn't just survive, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I played the hapless traveller only a few kms from my front door and was treated as such, soaking up kindnesses. I greeted fellow travellers and was recognised in return. I explored places I'd seen many times with new eyes and saw things in a way I'd never seen before.

They were my next Caminos. An overnight trip here, a weekend there. Sleeping in a tent, cooking on a stove. The destination in my mind far more important than a destination on a map.

I have since travelled quite a ways on my bike, often in places where the advice is not to travel. It hasn't always been easy or safe but it has been incredibly rewarding with a lot of what the Camino offered me back then - the chance to meet people from different parts of the world, learn of their lives, their hopes and fears, to bond and connect and gain an understanding of the common threads that bind us all together. One thing that has pierced me is just how many people in parts of the world would give almost anything to complete a Camino to Santiago. Those of us who have are incredibly fortunate.

The long distance traveller, (or the one who travels as such) to my way of thinking, is welcome in most places, whether there are yellow arrows pointing the way or not. Perhaps the Camino is not a route, it's a state of mind.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I have thought about VDLP and Le Puy ... I am worried about walking from Le Puy and arriving in St Jean and not wanting to stop, which means allocating another 3 weeks... then once I arrive in Santiago again... I will be wanting to push on towards Finisterre and Muxia....

I have got an EBC trek on plan too so lots might have to put on the back burner

I worked with many Portuguese people who always told me to look them up in Lisbon and Porto.....

so many plans... so little time

Yes I have thought about VDLP and Le Puy ... I am worried about walking from Le Puy and arriving in St Jean and not wanting to stop, which means allocating another 3 weeks... then once I arrive in Santiago again... I will be wanting to push on towards Finisterre and Muxia....

I have got an EBC trek on plan too so lots might have to put on the back burner

I worked with many Portuguese people who always told me to look them up in Lisbon and Porto.....

so many plans... so little time
There is only one plan: Camino. Time? Bin the watch or sell it for a few vino tintos! :)

Samarkand.

I just finished my first Camino…the Frances. Long time coming and planning. But it went by so fast I’m planning to do the Le Puy en Velay and Frances in 2026. Maybe three months of walking will be enough lol. So many things on the Frances I did not get to see or do. Walking off stage to experience new villages and history. And I’m going to learn Spanish (my sister used to teach it) and as a French Canadian, I’ll be all set to fully experience interacting with local people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Del Norte was my second...my first was the Frances in 2019 at age 63, it was love at first sight...decided to knock off some of the harder ones while I was still young....been foiled 3 times trying to get to the Primitivo...weather/injury/transportation issues....hoping this fall to get there...10 Caminos so far....plan to return to the Frances at 70....

1.VDLP. While in Zamora I saw a route map in the albergue and that got me interested in the Levante.

Would like to do a Camino with my daughter when she graduates. Thinking about a Piemont/ Frances combo so she can use the French she has been studying...

Otherwise, I haven't been to Madrid yet so a Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo combo with my partner.

My second is coming up in April 2024! A friend (from Brazil) whom I met on my first wants to walk the del Norte so she's meeting me in Spain to begin!

My first was the entire Frances in 2017. The second was the Portugese from Porto in 2019. This September is the Primitivo from Villaviciosa. Each one was special and different in ways, but the constant was being able to walk it with my Dad. We decide based on history, our physical abilities which over the years has changed for us both, and the experience we are looking for. We'd do any again and have enjoyed every step, there is no wrong choice, except for the camino not taken.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I may be something of an outlier - I was appalled on arrival to Santiago. The Cathedral itself was hidden behind scaffolding and the square in front of it was busy with newly arrived and arriving Pilgrims in various states of celebration. It was also busy with salespeople offering services ranging from packing and shipping my bike to helping me achieve a spiritual or mental calmness that I had seemingly failed to achieve. I was particularly appalled by all the souvenir tat in shop after shop after shop.
I visited the Cathedral and was moved by the sight of confessions available in so many different languages for Pilgrims but shocked at the behaviour of some of the people within the walls. I queued for my Compostela and was amused at the whinging, moaning and complaining of others in the queue. Weeks to walk to Santiago and a few minutes of waiting seemed intolerable. And I was so grateful that I wasn't finishing here. The destination would have been nothing in comparison to the journey.

Santiago wasn't my final destination but a half way point. I still had to cycle home.

In hindsight, I had the benefit of a Camino in three distinct parts. While I started the Camino at my front door (a local Trappist Monastery being my first "sello"), I made my own way to Paris, then to the coast to follow the sea before starting "My Camino" in SJPP. After Santiago, I had a week exploring the west coast with a friend, a return to Santiago for a Compostela then a long journey home, following my nose. On the way back, camping, I got to see Spain away from the Pilgrim Lifestyle. I wasn't awoken predawn nor had to be in bed early. I met different kinds of travellers and ate in places that rarely saw a Pilgrim.

Later that year, on a cold winter night I was playing with Google maps and looking to see where my "Camino distance" of some 6-6500 km would bring me. I was genuinely shocked to discover that I could cycle from my front door to Russia! Or a full exploration of Greece and Turkey! All places I've wanted to visit since I was a kid. Or across the USA. Or even Canada!

Somewhere in the back of my mind the wheels were crunching and prioritising the things that I took from my Camino. Far and above everything else was the humanity of the experience.
Joining the "virgin" pilgrims in SJPP and the magic in the air is something I hope to have with me always.
Meeting the huge variety of people along the way, local and pilgrim, the sheer diversity of folk and the immense goodwill and kindness of so many locals. Meeting people who struggled silently with infirmity or injury and others who complained loudly and continuously at the slightest inconvenience. The generosity of some pilgrims and the sheer petty-minded selfishness of others.

The chance, random encounters at a café or on the side of the road, the chance to exchange words of encouragement, or where language was an issue, gestures of encouragement, was something of a shock. The power in a smile. In a nod. It was educational and it prompted the question of "why here?". What's so special about this route?

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the route. It was me. It was how I carried myself, how I perceived things, how I processed things and how I projected myself to others.
The easiest way to get someone to smile at you? Give them a smile! The easiest way to strike up a conversation with a stranger? Make yourself open to it. The best way to enjoy food or a cold glass of water? Arrive hungry and thirsty.

So when I got home I changed some things. Enough became enough. More than enough was excess and unnecessary. I travelled on my bike in the same Camino manner - haphazardly and less planned, responding to what was all around me as opposed to what I thought would be.
I didn't just survive, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I played the hapless traveller only a few kms from my front door and was treated as such, soaking up kindnesses. I greeted fellow travellers and was recognised in return. I explored places I'd seen many times with new eyes and saw things in a way I'd never seen before.

They were my next Caminos. An overnight trip here, a weekend there. Sleeping in a tent, cooking on a stove. The destination in my mind far more important than a destination on a map.

I have since travelled quite a ways on my bike, often in places where the advice is not to travel. It hasn't always been easy or safe but it has been incredibly rewarding with a lot of what the Camino offered me back then - the chance to meet people from different parts of the world, learn of their lives, their hopes and fears, to bond and connect and gain an understanding of the common threads that bind us all together. One thing that has pierced me is just how many people in parts of the world would give almost anything to complete a Camino to Santiago. Those of us who have are incredibly fortunate.

The long distance traveller, (or the one who travels as such) to my way of thinking, is welcome in most places, whether there are yellow arrows pointing the way or not. Perhaps the Camino is not a route, it's a state of mind.
Wow. Your writing has a transportational quality to it. I feel transported to a different place. We are doing our second Camino this fall; a repeat of the Norte because we loved the beauty, the challenge, the length, the not-too-crowdedness, the language and last but not least, the affordability of it from last time we did it on 2019. This time I will perhaps reread your post once or twice. You're right, how fortunate we are to be able to do this... on so many levels

Hi, I did the CF in 2021, & last year wanted a different experience, so I did the Camino De Norte, stunning scenery, quiet, but a bit more expensive, the infrastructure isn't as good as the CF, but that's part of the experience.....highly recommended

Wow. Your writing has a transportational quality to it. I feel transported to a different place.
Thank you! I hope it was a good place you were transported to! :)
This time I will perhaps reread your post once or twice
I can condesnse it down to fewer words: Look for the things to be grateful for, especially at those times when there seems like there is absolutely nothing to be grateful for. There nearly always is. Sometimes just the very fact of us being where we are or with who we're with.

That, in my experience, is what keeps us centred and happy.

Too often our normal lives are so filled, so busy, so structured we barely have the time to notice the many, many small blessings we receive every day. The Camino can be like a snow globe - everything gets shaken up and we are in a place where we can watch how things slowly settle. If we're not happy with how they settle we can shake it all up again, but sometimes just the awareness of how we instinctively or habitually organise our thoughts is enough to kickstart a change. That's why I don't necessarily believe another Camino has to be another Camino. It can be anywhere, even closer to home. Mind you, the wonderful Spanish food, the vino tinto, the relaxed pace of life and the physical remnants of history all over the place certainly help the process! :)

It's a journey, not a destination.

Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'It's a journey, not a destination.'

Indeed it is, and I agree with much of what you've said, especially
'Perhaps the Camino is not a route, it's a state of mind'.

BUT I'm still seriously looking forward to hitting the trail again!

What factors affected my second choice? Time restraints, and the desire to walk my selected route from beginning to end.
I've got 15 days, I would like to take a rest day somewhere in the middle, and I'm stuck with going in the middle of July. The mountain's are normally cooler than the plains

Hence - the Primitivo.
4 weeks and counting !!!!

I picked my second Camino (Frances from Roncesvalles) because I wanted to repeat the route of my first with my son. I picked my third (Portugues from Porto) based on the time available and interest in experiencing Portugal and that it had good infrastructure. I picked my fourth Camino (Madrid from my (former) front door, followed by San Salvador and Primitivo) based on having the time, the desire to do a "front door" Camino, having heard that the San Salvador and Primitivo are very beautiful and they stitch together well with the Madrid, a desire to try some new routes combined with the optimism that after walking the Madrid I would be in fit shape to tackle the tougher mountainous Caminos of the San Salvador and Primitivo. I picked my next Camino (Frances from Villafranca del Bierzo) based on wanting for my daughter's first Camino one with good infrastructure, not too long, and plenty of animals.

Last edited:

I picked my first Camino, Lisbon to Santiago and then on to Muxia and Finisterre, because I wanted a combination of a Camino that was less crowded and one that was more traditional. And I was very happy, it was all I could’ve asked for! I picked my second Camino, because my sisters had already chosen to go on the Chemin du Piedmont Pyrenees in France. I wasn’t so sure about it, I thought it might be too difficult for my bad knees, but once again, it proved to be all that I could’ve asked for! This year I hope to complete at least a portion of the Camino Frances, and next year, I’m looking forward to exploring the Camino Torres that starts in Salamanca and ends in Braga.

Bottom line for me: I hope for something that is not too crowded and a trail that I can make possible with my imperfect knees and poor climbing skills, and where lodging of some sort is available. Then it’s up to me to enjoy it.

Agree. After many Caminos over 15+ years, Santiago is not the goal. The Way, and its room for reflections, is my Way. For firsttimers, I can understand that the wonder is the Camino, and reaching its end in Santiago.

But so many people have this feeling of incompleteness when reaching Santiago; The walk is over; it is the end of a journey, and a depression may come out if it. But that's the Camino: A start of a lifelong inner journey. So, for me,

The Way is the goal.

I would go for VdlP since it is a peaceful, but yet walked Camino where you can to some extent socialise, which may be important. The Levante is lonely. If you prefer your own company only, it would be perfect.

Furthermore the VdlP is a Camino rich in old cultural remains, especially Roman. Here is an example from Merida: It is an eyelifter:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just finished my first Camino…the Frances. Long time coming and planning. But it went by so fast I’m planning to do the Le Puy en Velay and Frances in 2026. Maybe three months of walking will be enough lol. So many things on the Frances I did not get to see or do. Walking off stage to experience new villages and history. And I’m going to learn Spanish (my sister used to teach it) and as a French Canadian, I’ll be all set to fully experience interacting with local people.
Him I start Frances from Pamplona on July 2nd. Sending my luggage ahead each day staying in small hotels. Was it very busy? I thought to miss the last 100kms because of the crowds and don't need to see Santiago. Spent 4 days there last year after the Portuguese Coastal. Love to hear your thoughts.

Hi I start Frances from Pamplona on July 2nd. Sending my luggage ahead each day staying in small hotels. Was it very busy? I thought to miss the last 100kms because of the crowds and don't need to see Santiago. Spent 4 days there last year after the Portuguese Coastal. Love to hear your thoughts.

Him I start Frances from Pamplona on July 2nd. Sending my luggage ahead each day staying in small hotels. Was it very busy? I thought to miss the last 100kms because of the crowds and don't need to see Santiago. Spent 4 days there last year after the Portuguese Coastal. Love to hear your thoughts.
Don't linger in Pamplona or you will meet your crowds with a vengeance during the Running of the Bulls.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you skip the last 100k you'll miss the Pulpo in Melide!

I just completed my first Camino which was also my second Camino. Last year I walked SJPP to Sarria with a friend and had to stop due to tibial tendonitis. This year I walked Triacastela via Samos to SdeC with a different friend to complete my Frances. It was also, tho, a completely different “Camino” from last year in experience and spirit. We stayed in very small off-stage villages and did our own peculiar “end run” around Santiago due to the music festival at Monte de Gozo. Instead of walking last stage thru Monte de Gozo, we bussed from Salceda to Ames and walked into Santiago from the Finisterre side. We had our very own small Monte to view that spectacular site of Santiago you see on the Santiago - Finisterre road.
Each Camino is its own Camino ~9851F358-8C36-4603-8B07-35C672CF0927.jpeg

Totally get that!
My third Camino, despite walking the first half del Norte, carefully filling up my credential, didn’t feel the need to walk in to Santiago, nor receive a Compostela. Who knows maybe I’ll return and walk the second half of del Norte in to Santiago some day. It’s just I had 3 weeks and spent a few extra days here and there throughout magnificent Basque, Cantabria and Asturias taking in this phenomenal part of Spain.
The Camino can truly be whatever you want it to be!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back