• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you have to postpone your "big Camino" ... do you do something "smaller" or nothing at all?

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
I know, this is more of an entertaining/curiosity question than a real problem ... But it looks like I myself need to postpone my extended Via de la Plata planned for next spring at least one year. We will build a log cabin and rebuild another cabin next spring in order to be able to move to the new place next summer before winter kicks in. .... and all that exactly during the weeks planned for the Camino. Hence: NO CHANCE for me to walk that lengthy northbound coast-to-coast in Spain next year. I cannot take more than 2 weeks off as it looks.

As I am not decided what to do but just enjoy being frustrated now, I wonder how you would cope with this in a similar situation? Just staying home and saving the money for the later occasion? Having some short vacation closer to home? Or even doing a short Camino that could be done in maybe 2 weeks in order to have at least a bit of the experience?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We had to do exactly that last year, i.e. postpone the VdelP as we ended up with only 3 weeks available so we walked a shorter Camino.

I second thé recommendation by @J Willhaus for the Madrid Way. It’s a perfect 2 week camino. We walked it in 12 days. It meets the Frances in Sahagun so If you have days to spare, you can continue on the Frances for a day or so, or there are a couple of side trips on the Madrid or have a day in Segovia. Lots of possibilities. 😎

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We had to do exactly that last year, i.e. postpone the VdelP as we ended up with only 3 weeks available so we walked a shorter Camino.

I second thé recommendation by @J Willhaus for the Madrid Way. It’s a perfect 2 week camino. We walked it in 12 days. It meets the Frances in Sahagun so If you have days to spare, you can continue on the Frances for a day or so, or there are a couple of side trips on the Madrid or have a day in Segovia. Lots of possibilities. 😎
So you and @J Willhaus recommend the Madrid ... interesting as I never considered that one! :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So you and @J Willhaus recommend the Madrid ... interesting as I never considered that one! :cool:
If you like, I'll send you by PM a link to my blog for the Madrid Way - and see what you make of it.

There are a couple of LIVE from the Camino threads at the moment from the Madrid. And other forum members who've walked it recently.

That said, I never like to know TOO much about a path before I start walking. But that's just a personal preference.

PS I see your previous Caminos were the Frances and the Portuguese. You will likely not meet many pilgrims on the Madrid Way - maybe even fewer than the VdelP. But it's wonderful.

Alex, this sounds like a wonderful project.
Oh, it certainly is! And it is therefore sad and exiting at the same time to kill my camino dreams for 2024 for this reason. We just cleared 300 sqm (square metres, not miles that is ;-) ) of trees and during the snow season we will work with the logs and set it up in march, when transport on the snow is still easy but it is not extremely cold anymore.

Last edited:
If you like, I'll send you by PM a link to my blog for the Madrid Way - and see what you make of it.

There are a couple of LIVE from the Camino threads at the moment from the Madrid. And other forum members who've walked it recently.

That said, I never like to know TOO much about a path before I start walking. But that's just a personal preference.

PS I see your previous Caminos were the Frances and the Portuguese. You will likely not meet many pilgrims on the Madrid Way - maybe even fewer than the VdelP. But it's wonderful.
Thank you! Yes, just send me the link :) ... but my CP actually stands for Primitivo, not Portugese ... :cool:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I know, this is more of an entertaining/curiosity question than a real problem ... But it looks like I myself need to postpone my extended Via de la Plata planned for next spring at least one year. We will build a log cabin and rebuild another cabin next spring in order to be able to move to the new place next summer before winter kicks in. .... and all that exactly during the weeks planned for the Camino. Hence: NO CHANCE for me to walk that lengthy northbound coast-to-coast in Spain next year. I cannot take more than 2 weeks off as it looks.

As I am not decided what to do but just enjoy being frustrated now, I wonder how you would cope with this in a similar situation? Just staying home and saving the money for the later occasion? Having some short vacation closer to home? Or even doing a short Camino that could be done in maybe 2 weeks in order to have at least a bit of the experience?
I actually did Saint Jean to los Arcos and then Ponferada to Santiago.
I’m leaving today to do Logrono to Ponferrada so I just split it up and absolutely it’s better than nothing.
if you can’t do the whole thing, it still is just a lovely experience each time.

I actually did Saint Jean to los Arcos and then Ponferada to Santiago.
I’m leaving today to do Logrono to Ponferrada so I just split it up and absolutely it’s better than nothing.
if you can’t do the whole thing, it still is just a lovely experience each time.
Thanks. Yes, I know this is great for some, but I am wired differently: I need to get to the final destination in one go so it feels right for me and to get the sense of achievement I am looking for - else it would be just a lengthy walk and I can do those everywhere and need not to travel to Spain in the first place.
So I would not "sacrifice" my dream-walk from Gibraltar via Santiago to the coast of Northern Spain by splitting it into pieces.
Then it is better for me to walk something else that is shorter but whole and wait a year or two to find time for the larger project.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you only want to walk in Spain on a Camino?

I wanted to walk this autumn for a few days, but not per sé in Spain. So I looked around for multiple day walks in Germany ( I live in the Netherlands) and found the Rootharsteig.

An 8 days tour naar Winterberg in a nature reserve. Very German, as in good signage and a lot of Information available about the tracks including gpx or Kml tracks. Don’t expect to find the camino spirit there I think, but I read is a wonderfull walk. Just a sugestion…

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do you only want to walk in Spain on a Camino?

I wanted to walk this autumn for a few days, but not per sé in Spain. So I looked around for multiple day walks in Germany ( I live in the Netherlands) and found the Rootharsteig.

An 8 days tour naar Winterberg in a nature reserve. Very German, as in good signage and a lot of Information available about the tracks including gpx or Kml tracks. Don’t expect to find the camino spirit there I think, but I read is a wonderfull walk. Just a sugestion…
It would be either a Camino in Spain or Portugal I guess ... or I would just walk close to where I live.
Germany is less exciting for me as I lived the first 45 years of my life in Germany and visit my relatives there on a regular basis 🙂 ... but generally speaking you are right, there are nice paths to hike on in Germany. The Malerweg for example.

Or even doing a short Camino that could be done in maybe 2 weeks in order to have at least a bit of the experience?
I’m so surprised that no one has suggested the Invierno! Leaves from Ponferrada, about 260 Km and it’s beautiful. There’s lots of good info here on the forum and lots of Invierno alumni who live it!

P.s. I would always choose a short Camino over no Camino at all!

My big Camino was cancelled (Faro to Ferrol) and I'm just doing Camino Ingles instead.

I'm pouting because I don't get to do the Big Thing I wanted, but am happy I get to do Any Thing at all. :D

There will be time for bigger adventures! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or even doing a short Camino that could be done in maybe 2 weeks in order to have at least a bit of the experience?
A holiday at home is great, but.....
This problem has already arisen twice for me this year. Like you, there's no way I'm doing part of a full Camino. So I just grabbed the chance - the first time I just had a week, so the Inglès. The second, two, so the Primitivo. Mind you, I only have a day's travel at most, not the 1,5 you mention!
I'm just seriously considering the Fishermans trail/ Rota Vicentina for my next two weeks, but that's also a winner because if I get to go it'll be in October - great timing temperature wise for this trail.
So long answer short - something is better than nothing!

I wonder how you would cope with this in a similar situation? Just staying home and saving the money for the later occasion? Having some short vacation closer to home? Or even doing a short Camino that could be done in maybe 2 weeks in order to have at least a bit of the experience?
This was similar to the circumstances that I faced in 2014, when my plans to walk the S:t Olavsleden were thrown askew by my son's wedding. My wife and I could only find the time and money for a one month trip to Europe, so I chose the short Camino option, and walked the CI and then to Muxia and Fisterra. I have never regretted making that choice.

This was similar to the circumstances that I faced in 2014, when my plans to walk the S:t Olavsleden were thrown askew by my son's wedding. My wife and I could only find the time and money for a one month trip to Europe, so I chose the short Camino option, and walked the CI and then to Muxia and Fisterra. I have never regretted making that choice.
The CI is actually one I always was interested in :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Do a short Camino

Now I was just about to open another whining thread with the same topic as this one as I had completely forgotten about it! 🙈🤣

Yes, I gut the blues again as the year has started and there are no Camino plans for 2024 ... and what makes things worse is that a Camino friend of mine from 2019 just asked me if I would follow him as he is walking the Norte this summer ...

Yes, I gut the blues again as the year has started and there are no Camino plans for 2024 ...
I have a week or so lined up with a friend in August. Picking up where we left off in Logrono last summer. But I might well sneak back for a short Camino before then. Maybe the Portugues from Porto this time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a week or so lined up with a friend in August. Picking up where we left off in Logrono last summer. But I might well sneak back for a short Camino before then. Maybe the Portugues from Porto this time!
Lucky you! How much time would you plan for the Portuges?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just have a short Camino (10-14 days) this year. But it's in good company! Maybe a longer one next year. I've got my eye on the Levante and the Mozarabe.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back