• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What shampoo/soap to bring

francesh17

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015
Hi.
I've heard of people bring a "shampoo bar" from LUSH to wash hair, body, and even clothes. Does anyone recommend this or liquid shampoo, soap, and detergent just fine. Also, what kind of detergent is light weight and recommended?
Thanks!
-Frances

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used Dr. Bronners liquid soap (baby-mild) for body wash, it worked well for bathing, it didn't work well in cold water for washing laundry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!
I like the Lush shampoo bar because it is very light and used it this year for washing body/ clothes as well. They also sell a tin to keep it in, that's not so good as it's very difficult to take the bar out of it with wet hands.
Last year I just took a small bar of ordinary soap but after a week of washing my hair with it I looked like an electrified hedgehog lol
The tube of laundry soap Bajaracer mentions is very good for washing clothes in cold water too , you can buy it in Spain once you've got used to the weight of the ruck sack if you don't like what you brought with you.

At the risk of sounding like an old fogey sexist but coming from one who has often utilized unisex showers along the Camino, I have noticed that the largest bit of equipment coming out of the backpack of female pilgrims is the wash kit. Quite amazing what they can manage to stuff into such a small bag. I am somewhat of an observer of human nature, and have noted that at the end of the day after showering, most male pilgrims head over to the cafe/bar to partake of the beverage their of choice. Most women pilgrims move faster and head off towards a different target, la farmacia. I would take a small sized container of whatever shampoo or soap you are accustomed to use at home since most towns and good sized villages have a pharmacia or two in order to re-stock if needed. In an all-out emergency and if your Spanish is good enough, there are often more peluquerías than pharmacies, a visit to the hairdresser is an experience and after a month on the Camino in heat, rain, dust and cold is a welcoming place. I have often stopped by the barbero but should warn, Spanish barbers are very good but are partial to talc and cologne-you leave the chair smelling…well… elegantly comes to mind but often your fellow pilgrims will look at you in a funny way when the aroma hits!

Aleppo olive oil soap bars are good for everything, hair, body and clothes washing. They have a slightly medicinal smell, due to laurel extract, and so are also mildly anti bacterial. But very pure. You'll need a plastic soap box to store it in, and leave it open to dry out overnight. I tried the Lush bars, but they didn't suit , much too drying, but there's more than one type.
Thanks to Theatregal for the tip about the Aleppo soap! It's available on Amazon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lush have recently launched a new range of solid shampoos - without bits! I have tried some of them and recommend that you go to the store, try washing your hands with a few different ones and make your decision based on trial and error. Also the bar will get stuck in the round tin somewhere around Carrión de los Condes if I remember correctly... So get the square one to allow wet and soapy fingers to get it out. The only problem I see with the bars is that it can take time to dry them from day to day, but if it doesn't have a strong smell most people won't object to you leaving the tin open on the floor or a window sill to dry.

I love my Lush shampoo bar. A toothpick in the bottom of the tin eliminates the bar sticking - it's easy to drop it right into your hand. I have short hair, and my last bar lasted me three months (without my even trying to use it sparingly!). I've not used it on clothes, though, so I can't make any recommendations there...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had a Lush shampoo bar, which worked well for all washing. I kept it in a mesh bag to allow it to dry, but I found it still didn't dry adequately and got quite soft and difficult to handle. I am experimenting now with other ordinary soap bars, as I really liked having one bar for all washing. Scruffy would not have even noticed the size of my wash bag, as he was mesmerized by the more bountiful contents of others.;)

No shampoo or body soap - don't use it at home, won't use it on the road. I stick to conditioner to wash my hair. As for the body, water does the job. For washing laundry by hand the Sierra Dawn Campsuds (biodegradable and can also be used as shampoo and body soap) worked best. I tried Savon de Marseille, which can also be used as shampoo and body soap, but it really didn't really get clothes clean, especially muddied bits, and you have to put it in a ziplock bag, which can get messy. I now carry travel size packs of Tide and a few Tide Pods, in a pill box from the drugstore, for the occasional machine wash. I keep looking for smallish washing detergent tubes in Spain as I have seen people with them but never seem to manage to find them. So Tide travel pack and pods for now, as not to carry heavy liquids.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I decanted my normal shampoo into a very small travel bottle and added a few drops of conditioner to it. That lasted me all the way from St Jean. The odd stay in a hotel topped my supply up. I cut a bar of soap in half and used that for showering. A useful tip I saw on this forum said to wrap it in plastic wrap and it will not go slimy. True. It works. As far as washing clothes go nothing was ideal, but the travel packs of detergent are the most space saving.

Why not using the one (shampoo&conditioner whatever) you are using at home?
Planning TOO MUCH is the biggest problem nowadays...

Tiendas will be found in every village ...

Carpe diem...

Walk...

Last edited:

Carpe diem...

Walk...

EXACTLY! Well said Anniethenurse!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
L
Hi.
I've heard of people bring a "shampoo bar" from LUSH to wash hair, body, and even clothes. Does anyone recommend this or liquid shampoo, soap, and detergent just fine. Also, what kind of detergent is light weight and recommended?
Thanks!
-Frances
Love my Lush shampoo bar. Used it for everything. Though it's gotten quite expensive. You can get a bar of lagarto laundry soap and it will last 10 years for hand washing clothing.

Dr. Bronner bar soap comes in a variety of nice flavors (available at Whole Foods stores among other places) and I would imagine it's similar to the Lush product. I haven't tried Lush but I have used the Dr. Bronner bar on my body and hair and it worked well. Easy to pack and no spill.

I do like the LUSH - have to say. Good for shampoo, body and clothes. Smells good. Here's a pic showing size comparison. This one is juniper/lavender. Vegan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 116
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having said that ^ , it is a luxury item and I have washed my hair many times with powdered detergent mixed with water and have come out no worse for the wear.

Carpe diem...

Walk...
Because I am using big bottles at home?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Shave your head and there is no need for shampoo:cool:, soap is optional!

Wrong @biarritzdon we women NEED our conditioner (especially if we have long hair and we are NOT going to shave it for the camino). We can still carry our conditioner in SMALL bottles.

No need for planning - just do it like you do it at home.

[QUOTE=
Stop planning TOO MUCH...
Cease the day....

I like the planning part. To me it's part of the fun. But once I get out there, I don't worry about any of it. Just enjoy being present and smelling the roses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I hear you Annie and I agree, but at the same time I too like the planning phase exactly because I look at ways to do things differently than I do at home, and in the case of shampoo bar testing I ended up using them a lot at home too - there are fewer bad things in them to go out with the water and they work great. Thinking about Other Ways is a good way to while away the time before going. When that is said, filling your normal stuff into smaller containers always works and is a brilliant solution. And sometimes planning goes full circle and you (I know I did on several things) end up doing the obvious thing after having tried X number of other options ... but then at least it is a conscious decision and well researched, and who knows who might need that expertise somewhere along the way (or indeed the Way). I still read the shampoo threads myself :D

I too use Dr Bronners (bathing and clothes washing) with the added convenience of a squeeze bottle on a short cord. If some Pilgrims would start contributing suction soap dishes ( a gift to the Camino) the world could quickly become a better place. Soap dishes are a rarity and as I am aging the floor has become a long ways down as a place to store soap in the shower. Buen Camino..... Willy

Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances

Hello - I'm another one that LOVES the lush shampoo bars. I used the tin and because the bar got stuck in the tin I just left it there... just took the lid off and used it in the tin... and it worked fine. I loved the smell so much I used it as soap and as a clothes wash bar... it lasted all the way to Santiago. Also I always use conditioner at home but on the CF I only used the shampoo bar and my hair looked and felt great... I'm a great big fan now... and as someone has said it's very light.

I kept mine in a small waterproof bag so even when wet it wasn't a problem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also love the planning, and yes, the anxt that comes with it. A few days ago, in prep for the Holidays, I read or heard that "wanting was a lot more fun than having", I think that "planning can in many (unpainful ways) be more fun that walking" ;0)

Hi, I too like lush, if you have the tin put a piece of paper towel on the bottom to help with the sticking. My last camino I used this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047QIE7O/?tag=casaivar02-20

I liked the little bag it came in and it was cheap. I have horrible tangly hair so I also carry conditioner, but used it for everything else.

Whatever you intend to bring, use it at home for a few weeks first. I brought LUSH and hated it! Way too drying for skin and hair, (but I am older too!)
The Camino was tough on my skin, face and hair because of the sun etc. I ended up buying what I normally use at home. A small Dove soap and a shampoo/conditioner in one, and a moisturizer for face and body.

wouldn't it be just as easy to pour some laundry detergent into a travel size bottle.

since I am flying in trouble size bottles is all I can bring any way.

wouldn't it be just as easy to pour some laundry detergent into a travel size bottle.

since I am flying in trouble size bottles is all I can bring any way.
You can bring any size you want, just not in cabine.

I am not planning on checking any luggage to Spain since I've had very non positive experiences with luggage being delayed and having a limited time table for walking.

with 9 months to go I am already testing out travel size toothpaste and shampoo and other things to see how small a quantity I can bring and still have enough.

I don't think it matters two hoots as everything is available in Spain anyway (except my beloved Lustrecream - but that's no longer available anywhere).

My only wisdom on the subject is that the more liquid a product, the more water it contains, so you are carrying extra weight unnecessarily.

I try to get several purposes out of one product. I use the same product for washing hair, body and clothes. My face/feet/hands/body moisturiser also works as a hair conditioner/hair dressing. I take an anti-chaffing cream that is basically aluminium hydroxide, so it is antiperspirant and an excellent deoderant for underarms and feet.

I don't think it matters two hoots as everything is available in Spain anyway (except my beloved Lustrecream - but that's no longer available anywhere).

Clearly where you buy the heavy stuff doesn't matter as you will be carrying it. But what about the active ingredient in the antichaffing. That is priceless information: if I can use both in one package - and I MUST have both - I am all on board!

@Anemone del Camino its called 3B Neat Action Cream. If you look at any standard deoderant antiperspirant you will see the active ingredient is aluminium chlorohydrate (or similar) - the 3B cream is the same, just unperfumed and in a concentrated cream form in a tube - so no wastage.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lush shampoo bars for me too with the square container (the round one that fits perfectly makes it too tricky to get out after a few uses). I use the bar for hair and body.

I use a separate Sea to Summit biodegradable liquid wash for clothes.

Buen Camino!

Kat

Whatever you use for laundry, do a test wash in cold water, I never saw an albergue deep sink with hot water.
Dr. Bronners (liquid) clouded up, find a tube of the Norit Viaje, it's a 150ml, very concentrated and small enough to last a whole month.

Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances
As a guy I'm probably not the best person to make a recommendation on this particular subject, but I used a bar of plain old Ivory soap for everything, including washing clothes.

I just take shampoo in two small bottles (100ml each) which last for my Camino as both shampoo and handwash liquid for my clothes. I also have a tiny piece of soap for handwashing clothes. The shampoo works even in cold water, the soap is good if the water is hot.

I brought a sample size bottle of head and shoulders shampoo and a bar of Dove soap which I cut in half, used one half and kept the other in the pack until needed. The shampoo lasted most of the way until I left it in the bathroom of the hostal one day and my brother used it to wash his clothes thinking it was hostal shampoo, well that was his story anyway :). As we were nearly finished at that stage I just used hostal shampoo or the Dove soap to wash clothes/body/hair for the remainder of the trip.

Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances
I don't know what country you are in - but as there are Lush shops in the Uk I'll assume you are too. I use Ecover washing-up liquid - which is in some supermarkets and all health shops. It is available all over Europe. Basically a small plastic bottle (250ml) will last for washing-up, shower and hair washing AND clothes washing for a month or more. Half that if you are eating out and don't have to wash up everything every day. It is natural and gentle but extremely effective. A mechanic friend of mine swears by it for getting oil off his hands. I find it is just as good as any shampoo. Also using one product is so much easier - just jump in the shower, chuck all your sweaty gear on the floor and squeeze some Ecover on your hair - work your way down making sure you stamp your feet the whole time - hey presto - clean pilgrim and clean clothes. If you invest in a large microtowel too - you will find you can dry yourself, hair and wring out all your washing in it so it takes less time to dry. Take a few nappy pins to pin any damp washing to your rucksack or panniers and you can march along with a smile on your face and your knickers n bra steaming in the breeze behind!! Tip: don't take bright red knickers like I did!!!

I sort of agree with biarritzdon - I cut my hair as short as possible before I go on a journey - less to wash/brush get wet etc!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

When next in your shower at home Ahhhs enjoy.
But don't plan toooo much ahead
Every habit you have at home now will be challenged when walking.
When on the Way the showers are short and hurried......yes there will be sometimes 2 or 3 waiting......sometimes 20 in the line.
Sometimes the water is cold , some with timers.

We have over the years aged gracefully by using hotels on the Frances every 3 days , thus the supply of shampoo for days ahead.
On the Le Puy way many gites and pensions supply shampoo and conditioner.

You can bring any size you want, just not in cabine.

We always travel with backpack or luggage in cabin.
Could not think of anything worse than travelling 25hrs and no clothes etc on arrival .........and it happens all the time.
The one thing the Camino has taught us is how """ little """ we need .

@november_moon : Thank you so much for the tip! In searching for them online I discovered that the Medium size tubes have a built-in suction cup to stick them to the (tile) wall while you have a shower - no more trying to find the small bottle on the floor or balancing it on the fittings! You learn something new every day ...

As a guy I'm probably not the best person to make a recommendation on this particular subject, but I used a bar of plain old Ivory soap for everything, including washing clothes.

Just the old cake of Velvet soap in the shower with the clothes .
And if lucky , a small alberque [ 6-12 beds],an early arrival around 1pm , first to the shower have a ""shave"" under the water.
Then to lunch , a nap , dinner , sleep and .....................to repeat all again

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances
I got CampSuds, a biodegradable soap from MEC, Canada, that is good for everything: shampoo, body wash and as detergent.

Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances
I just used the one soap (which I bought from the Lush shop) for hair, body and clothes washing...Very nice indeed, particularly for hair washing and it lasted for the entire journey....cheers.

EXACTLY! Well said Anniethenurse!
I Agree with Annakappa....by the way, further to my answer above, I wrapped my soap in a piece of Baking paper...it did not stick to the paper and seemed to dry out okay..

Funny story told by a peregrina last year (at least to me) - one of her walking mates didn't rinse thoroughly after washing his clothes (no brand mentioned) in summer. The following day as they walked, it began to rain. All of his clothes bubbled and foamed up as he walked. It wasn't told in a humorous way, but I could visualize it and thought it quite humorous - must have had a very sudsy component. Still laugh about it even thinking about it (correction: two years ago)...a little lunch including olive oil works well as a conditioner rubbed on hands and slide through hair a bit. Was in the desert this past winter - worked fine - just don't use any that's been sitting in sardines ....

I brought a bar of plain old soap. I think it might have been Dove for men or something like that. And I brought half a bar of fels naptha for laundry. Unfortunately, I left them behind somewhere early in the Camino and ended up replacing it with a bar of soap I found in a grocery store. I forget the brand name, but I used it for washing me and my clothes. (The night I discovered I had left my soap behind, I just squirted some soap from the hand soap dispenser on a sock and used it as a wash cloth)

I'm a guy and I shave my head so I'm not really picky about soap and I don't need shampoo!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances

I took a bar of Dr Bronners Castile soap and used it for everything: showering, shampoo and laundry. I put it in one of those mesh bags garlic comes in. Keeps it from slipping out of your hands. You can hang it to dry overnight and put it in a ziplock in the morning. It lasted 35 days.

Re: GoToobs. I took one with the suction cup to Africa last year. It fell on the stone floor of the shower and the cap shattered, making it useless. I was very annoyed as they are expensive. Wonder if the newer ones have a more durable cap?

Last edited:
I take smaller bottles of what I use at home and/or buy soap and shampoo in Spain. I walk with my wife so we split the supply between us.
I'll add one more thing.
While I did not like it for washing myself, I found Jabón Chimbo perfect for clothes. Available almost everywhere (I brought home 3 bars to use when traveling in the U.S. and elsewhere). Chimbo is cheap and easy to cut and share with friends.

That bites about the broken cap on the Go Toob. I've had a couple of mine for several years, a couple were more are recent purchases. I've had good luck all the way around - I have dropped them too, fortunately they survived.

Hi.
Thanks!
-Frances
A bar of dr Bronners Castille soap for body and clothes 141.1g or 5 ounces in old money.

It might sound extreme, but I chopped my long hair off to a short pixie and just carried one bottle of camp soap. It washed me, my clothes, and my hair. Technically one can also use it as toothpaste...but I didn't quite go there. Some of those showers weren't worth the time of rinsing out both shampoo and conditioner. Plus, with all-in-one soup...I could wash my underwear in the shower if I wasn't planning on washing my whole outfit.

As you can tell, I definitely wasn't on the nice hair and make-up side of the spectrum :)

I wish I could pull off a pixie cut... but with my hair it just....

pixiecut.jpg

Someday I'll be back to my long hair... I mean, this IS only two months of growth!

I plan to bring Coleman soap sheets. Biodegradable, light and very small container. No idea if they're good for laundry, but I'll try it out before I go, if not I'll switch to Camp Suds, I've used those for pretty much everything on backpacking trips before. I have long curly hair so I NEED to take conditioner, I just take travel/sample size with me that are approved for carry on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EMAFO2/?tag=casaivar02-20 I didn't pay that much for them, I don't remember where I got it, but they can be had for less than this price on Amazon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I tried one brand of soap/shampoo sheets and found them next to useless, and a nuisance to handle. Certainly give them a try before you go, but a bar of soap works better for me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, great idea but not good to use when your hands are even damp. Too easy to stick them all together.
I prefer the shampoo as it keeps my hair in good condition and can be shower gel and wash liquid. The soap bar would dry my hair out and make my scalp itch. Whatever you choose to take I suggest you check it out on your skin/hair before you walk. :)

Absolutely agree - try it for a week before you go, as a shampoo and body wash, and yes, by all means, wash your walking clothes in your chosen soapy stuff after a training walk! You might find that your clothes don't dry as fast as you hoped, that the soap makes your skin itch or doesn't foam up properly in coldish water ... take only what you have tried and tested, that is my very best tip.

I like the idea of a shampoo bar, and understand the appeal of various scents to women. Are there any guys that would admit to using a Lush shampoo bar? The Lush store in our mall seems very female oriented, with the occasional guy (like me) looking for a present for the wife.

-Paul

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Shampoo and conditioner? What are those????

Soap, I just use half a bar of what I use at home. I keep it in a plastic soap container and let it dry out for an hour or two before putting the top on.

Detergent, I would love to use Norit Viaje but I rarely can find it in Spain so I take two or three small bottles (TSA approved sizes for carry on) of Woollite. I top them up if/as needed with the smallest size bottle I can buy, then donate the balance to the albergue or other pilgrims. I tried Camp Suds last time and didn't like it. It just didn't get the clothes as clean smelling as Woollite.

Last edited:
I plan to bring Coleman soap sheets. Biodegradable, light and very small container. No idea if they're good for laundry, but I'll try it out before I go, if not I'll switch to Camp Suds, I've used those for pretty much everything on backpacking trips before. I have long curly hair so I NEED to take conditioner, I just take travel/sample size with me that are approved for carry on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EMAFO2/?tag=casaivar02-20 I didn't pay that much for them, I don't remember where I got it, but they can be had for less than this price on Amazon.

While thru hiking the Appalachian Trail, I saw DOZENS of bottles of Coleman Soap Suds left behind by people cutting weight. I don't know if that correlates to it being a bad product, but it seemed like ALOT of people who bought it didn't mind ditching it.

I use Dr Bonners.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In packing for my first long hike (110 miles, no chance to resupply), about 40 years ago, I took Dr Bonner's peppermint castile soap for everything. Brushing my teeth with soap soon got old. For my first camino, starting in September, I am taking a small tube of toothpaste and my regular body soap- a personal size bar of Ivory. I tried washing my hair with it and it took two shampoos to get it out. So I am also taking my usual shampoo, decanted into a small bottle. While I could use the Ivory soap for hand washing, I prefer my usual soap powder, which is lightweight and useful for hand or machine washing, so I am taking that too. In short, everything that I use everyday will do just fine and no extra cost for specialty items which I may not like.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.