• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best all purpose soap

greenie71

Time of past OR future Camino
Spanish
What are the preferences for an all around use soap.. I’m taking body wash, hair soap and one that’s good to wash out those well used clothes along the Camino.
We usually “Camp soap” while camping , it’s a liquid biodegradable soap. Just wondering if there’s any suggestions of anything better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aha, a thread about my personal pet peeve. Here’s what my obsession on this topic has taught me. Liquids for body and clothes are just too heavy. Powdered soap is great for clothes but is unusable for the body. Also the powdered clothes soap you can buy off the shelf in Europe tends to be highly concentrated and can cause rashes if overused or not adequately rinsed. The teeny tiny one off postage stamp sized sheets are workable but one mistake and you’re left with 50 in a sodden lump.

So after many years at the cold water taps of many Albergues I’ve settled on Dr Bronners all purpose bar soap. I think it is only available in North America.

I too use a shampoo bar for all possible uses while on Camino. Previously discovered an organic one on scenta.ie and it’s great, long lasting and made using argon oil. Even shave with it. Travels light!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have used Camp Suds for years, both backpacking and on Camino. It easily rinses clean which is great for laundry, skin, and hair. You can find it in many outdoor/sporting goods stores.
I have been using the Sea to Summit Body Wash, which looks similar to this. But in the past on the camino, I have taken a half bar of straight laundry soap as well.

Aha, a thread about my personal pet peeve. Here’s what my obsession on this topic has taught me. Liquids for body and clothes are just too heavy. Powdered soap is great for clothes but is unusable for the body. Also the powdered clothes soap you can buy off the shelf in Europe tends to be highly concentrated and can cause rashes if overused or not adequately rinsed. The teeny tiny one off postage stamp sized sheets are workable but one mistake and you’re left with 50 in a sodden lump.

So after many years at the cold water taps of many Albergues I’ve settled on Dr Bronners all purpose bar soap. I think it is only available in North America.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Whatever you decide to take, try it out at home first. Personally I wouldn't use Dr Bronner's or any other soap based bar on my hair.

I use a shampoo bar that's not soap based. Much better for my hair. Lots of them out there like Ethique which was mentioned and many bars available on Etsy. One of the members here, @JillGat makes very nice shampoo and conditioner bars.

For laundry, I actually use a separate product, but the weight is negligible - about 2 ounces. What I use for laundry are these Breezeo laundry detergent strips. One strip is supposed to be enough for a full load of laundry, so I use half a strip for my daily hand washing. I wash my clothes in a 12 liter dry bag that doubles as my stuff sack for my sleeping gear. As I get into the shower I put my clothes, half the detergent strip into the bag. While I'm waiting for the water to heat up for my shower is use I fill the dry bag, then seal it up and give it a couple of shakes before setting it on the floor. While I'm showering, my clothes are soaking. After I'm dressed I shake the bag a bit more to agitate it, then take the whole thing over to the laundry sinks to rinse. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, so it's easy to rinse out.
Because of the long soak time, my clothes get cleaner with this method than just washing them in the sink or a laundry tub.

This is my preferred soap. It is also the gift my friends hope for on my return from Spain...
1645168353945.png
There are other brands. To be found in many supermarkets. Can be easily cut and shared, reducing weight. I see ubiquitous Amazon has cottoned on to it as well...

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I use Heno de Pravia ORIGINAL Jabon Natural

Both for me and my clothes. Inexpensive, readily available and probably toxic as all buggery. I like the scent.
So do I, but they changed the scent some years ago, of the colonia anyway. The soap I couldn't use, too afraid of irritation.

Whatever you decide to take, try it out at home first. Personally I wouldn't use Dr Bronner's or any other soap based bar on my hair.

I use a shampoo bar that's not soap based. Much better for my hair. Lots of them out there like Ethique which was mentioned and many bars available on Etsy. One of the members here, @JillGat makes very nice shampoo and conditioner bars.

For laundry, I actually use a separate product, but the weight is negligible - about 2 ounces. What I use for laundry are these Breezeo laundry detergent strips. One strip is supposed to be enough for a full load of laundry, so I use half a strip for my daily hand washing. I wash my clothes in a 12 liter dry bag that doubles as my stuff sack for my sleeping gear. As I get into the shower I put my clothes, half the detergent strip into the bag. While I'm waiting for the water to heat up for my shower is use I fill the dry bag, then seal it up and give it a couple of shakes before setting it on the floor. While I'm showering, my clothes are soaking. After I'm dressed I shake the bag a bit more to agitate it, then take the whole thing over to the laundry sinks to rinse. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, so it's easy to rinse out.
Because of the long soak time, my clothes get cleaner with this method than just washing them in the sink or a laundry tub.
What a fantastic idea @trecile . Thank you . Great advice . We’re not leaving till May , so I’ll have time to sample all these different suggestions.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Dr Bronners is available in the UK. I love the almond and lavender ones. Our Camino is in April but I've been trying it out for washing clothes, as well as body. It works really well. I prefer a coconut oil shampoo bar for my hair from Gruum - works best on my thick curly hair.

When i did my CF i filled a 30 or 50ml (can't remember exactly) plastic dripper bottle with Dr.Bronner soap. I think this should have lasted for a good 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately i forgot it in Puente la Reina, made do with borrowed soap till logrono and got something similar in Decathlon there (natural Soap something something) which lasted me till Santiago and further on.

Aleppo soap here, too.
Best "allround"-soap for hiking or vacation. Hair, body, clothes. Multi-purpose at it's best. It comes in a variety of scents, I prefer the lavender or musk scents.

I try to minimize the weight of my backpack, so no liquids for cosmetics.
Half of a standard Aleppo-bar did reach for the Frances from SJPdP to SdC.

HTH

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For laundry, I actually use a separate product, but the weight is negligible - about 2 ounces. What I use for laundry are these Breezeo laundry detergent strips. One strip is supposed to be enough for a full load of laundry, so I use half a strip for my daily hand washing.
@trecile Do you find that these strips leave behind a strong scent after rinsing? I've been meaning to order some detergent sheets and that's my main concern.

I used Fels Naptha for sink washing last time around and my clothes got very clean, but it was really rough on my hands. I love the idea of agitating in a dry bag instead.

I have used Dr. Bronner's several times on the Camino for hair, body and laundry with good success.
I since have taken super cheap Suave shampoo in a smallish container and it works well, too, for everything. I no longer color my hair, so I'm not concerned about needing special hair products.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for all the great recommendations!!
Dr. Bronzers seems to be the most popular.

There are different scents to choose from:)

@trecile Do you find that these strips leave behind a strong scent after rinsing? I've been meaning to order some detergent sheets and that's my main concern.
No, but there are other brands that are scent free if that's a major concern. Tru Earth is one brand that has an unscented version.
I used Fels Naptha for sink washing last time around and my clothes got very clean, but it was really rough on my hands. I love the idea of agitating in a dry bag instead.
Yes, that's definitely an advantage.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I've been trying various ideas here at home before going and I've settled on Dr. Bronner's as well. It works for hair/body/face/laundry. Apparently, the almond is supposed to have the most moisture. I did find that I need conditioner in my hair after using it, so I will bring a small amount. My hair is brush-cut short so I won't need alot. Originally I was trying out the liquid but someone on here suggested to me about leaking into my pack, so I've switched to a bar which definitely weighs less. One thing to note, if you color your hair, Dr. Bronner's will strip the color. I'll be going o'natural on the Way, but thought I'd mention it for others.

Try a bar if olive-oil soap at home before you go….compact, good on synthetics….would bee happy to hear your reasoning later….

What brand have you used up to now?

Ultreia🙏🏼

What are the preferences for an all around use soap.. I’m taking body wash, hair soap and one that’s good to wash out those well used clothes along the Camino.
We usually “Camp soap” while camping , it’s a liquid biodegradable soap. Just wondering if there’s any suggestions of anything better.

I've used both Dr Bronner's and shampoo bars (my faves are from lush: https://www.lush.ca/en/hair/shampoo-bars/ ... not sure if they are available in UK/EU but if so, they are superior to a lot of other shampoo bar options, IMHO).

My personal pref is for a shampoo bar, since it is more multi-purpose, easier to lather when hand-washing clothes, and lighter overall. Plus no danger of leaking into the bag. If you put your shampoo bar in a lightweight tin, I'd line it with plastic wrap, though, because those pesky bars can get stuck in there when they don't have a chance to dry out before putting 'em back!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Shampoo for me. You can get small bottles along the Camino in stores or at some allergies. Wash the hair then wash the body. It works great for hand washing clothes. Had a leaky cup at the wine fountain and used shampoo and salt to get the stain out of my clothes.

I used Camp Suds for showering and washing clothes, it is concentrated and about 4 oz and lasted me for 32 days. I did not use it on my hair, I brought shampoo and conditioner because all-purpose soap is very drying to your hair.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Wow. Never heard of these. Will give it a try. Thanks 😊

I experimented with several of the suggestions. I have super sensitive skin and most all of the multi-use personal hygiene products felt ‘waxy’, sucked the moisture right out of me or left my (long) hair difficult to comb & feeling greasy. I ended up settling on small amts of extremely concentrated personal products (I tested to see how long they would last-goal 2-months), and a small piece of the Zote laundry bar (US). Highly recommend trying everything for a few days.

When asking a question like this, have there been a Forum search done before posting? I know I have posted about an all purpose soap that I have purchased at the Body Shop. It checks all your boxes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used Dr. Bonners, and it worked GREAT for everything.
I am perfectly happy with using it again. My beard is quite long now, so I might consider getting a bar of conditioner on next Camino.
Note: because of using it for EVERYTHING and spending a total of 10+40days walking=50 days on the whole trip, I ran out of the Dr. Bonners Castile soap on last Camino at about 3/4 or more through it...
Next trip, I am considering 1 of the following:
A) use 1 bar more sparingly
B) bring 1-1/2 bars next time
C) also bring 1/2 bar of fels-naptha just for clothing.
D) make it a shorter trip.
blessings, -kevin-

I use Dove when I leave because we buy it in bulk at Costco. When I need a new bar whatever is on the shelf at the grocery store. Wash me and my clothes with them and I smell peachy and my clothes well they are not stinking.

I use Dove when I leave because we buy it in bulk at Costco. When I need a new bar whatever is on the shelf at the grocery store. Wash me and my clothes with them and I smell peachy and my clothes well they are not stinking.
I use the simplest method of all! Its whatever you guys leave behind in the bathroom/shower :)

Samarkand. :)

PS I shave my skull before I go and let my beard grow. I am not afraid of cold water either :)

I ended up settling on small amts of extremely concentrated personal products (I tested to see how long they would last-goal 2-months), and a small piece of the Zote laundry bar (US). Highly recommend trying everything for a few days.
Just a small note on the Zote. I live in Mexico where Zote is a very common product. I used it (hand washed) on a white UV protect shirt I have for hiking and it turned yellow. Putting it through the washer didn't fix it but thank goodness bleaching did. Just thought I would share that info...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a small note on the Zote. I live in Mexico where Zote is a very common product. I used it (hand washed) on a white UV protect shirt I have for hiking and it turned yellow. Putting it through the washer didn't fix it but thank goodness bleaching did. Just thought I would share that info...

I too live in Mexico and we have Zote soap in the laundry room and use it for heavy duty stuff. It is interesting that you had the problem with a white shirt. Maybe it is the UV protection or something else that was in the shirt. I say this because my wife (a Chilanga, and every maid we have had use Zote only to clean white clothes and what else I am not sure. As I mentioned It is way too strong for my delicate skin and would never use it to wash myself with. As you also know it would be way to big to bring on the camino.

I experimented with several of the suggestions. I have super sensitive skin and most all of the multi-use personal hygiene products felt ‘waxy’, sucked the moisture right out of me or left my (long) hair difficult to comb & feeling greasy. I ended up settling on small amts of extremely concentrated personal products (I tested to see how long they would last-goal 2-months), and a small piece of the Zote laundry bar (US). Highly recommend trying everything for a few days.
As someone else said about Zote. Maybe the strength of Zote is weaker in the United States then in Mexico. I am sitting in my kitchen with my wife and two other ladies, all Mexican and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked (I already knew the answer , but doesn't hurt to ask the experts) if they would ever use Zote to wash with. As my wife said "do you want to see my skin fall off???"

I use the simplest method of all! Its whatever you guys leave behind in the bathroom/shower :)

PS I shave my skull before I go and let my beard grow. I am not afraid of cold water either :)

I'm looking foreward to trying all your soaps with @malingerer

If I buy something it is usually Sea-To-Summit Wilderness Wash (biodegradable) or a very good and gentle shampoo (can be used for anything except dishes).

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
As someone else said about Zote. Maybe the strength of Zote is weaker in the United States then in Mexico. I am sitting in my kitchen with my wife and two other ladies, all Mexican and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked (I already knew the answer , but doesn't hurt to ask the experts) if they would ever use Zote to wash with. As my wife said "do you want to see my skin fall off???"
Just to be clear..I use Zote for laundry. Not personal hygiene.

I have an old camp soap bottle that I mix 1/2 Tea-Tree lavender mint shampoo with 1/2 Dawn dishwasher soap.
Cleans my body, cleans my hair, cleans my clothes and all smells good.
VERY little (drops) of the soap goes a long way. 30 days on small bottle.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dawn dishwashing soap.
I have an old camp soap bottle that I mix 1/2 Tea-Tree lavender mint shampoo with 1/2 Dawn dishwasher soap.
Cleans my body, cleans my hair, cleans my clothes and all smells good.
VERY little (drops) of the soap goes a long way. 30 days on small bottle.
Hmmm, this sounds quite interesting to me, mixing the two together. Next time I will add a bit of Dawn dishsoap to my cheapo Suave shampoo and it will last even longer..."a little dab may do ya." Great idea!😃

I too live in Mexico and we have Zote soap in the laundry room and use it for heavy duty stuff. It is interesting that you had the problem with a white shirt. Maybe it is the UV protection or something else that was in the shirt. I say this because my wife (a Chilanga, and every maid we have had use Zote only to clean white clothes and what else I am not sure. As I mentioned It is way too strong for my delicate skin and would never use it to wash myself with. As you also know it would be way to big to bring on the camino.
It's possible that it had to do with the UV protection. I, too, have used Zote for years. And agree not to use it for your body, just laundry. If you wanted to bring it, I would just cut a piece off.

That's what I take - Camp Soap.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use Sea to Summit brand liquid laundry soap for hand washing clothes. A 89 ML bottle of this lasts an entire Camino. For body and hair I use whatever bar soap I find in the store along the route.

My wife on the other hand, packs about 5 kilos of clothes and sleeping bag and another 5 kilos of lotions, soaps, and shampoo.

For a 4-6 week Camino, I bring two small bars of Dove. I use it for hair, body, clothes. I use Dove soap at home; when a soap bar gets down to a couple of ounces, I set it aside for my next Camino. For years, I also brought a rinse for my hair, but a fellow peregrina (thank you Catherine!) suggested I could do without it and I have found that to be true. Works great. Very light.

I agree with all points in this 100%. I haven’t done the Camino yet (hopefully next year) but I’ve done any number of 1-2 week long distance walks. I’d agree with you on Dr Bronners and hair - they just don’t go well together. I’ve just ‘discovered’ laundry sheets and and as you say, negligible weight and work well. A shampoo bar in a net bag is perfect for hair and body.

I used a bar of Dove soap (it's a uk brand of soap bar) for everything. Body, hair and clothes. Though I shall have a buzz cut before I start my Portuguese next month so don't have the hair issues some will have.

Lavender savon de Marseilles (though I separately pack the green olive oil variety for clothes washing -- which I might not on the sort of shorter Caminos as the Francès).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Nope, Dr Brunner's is also available in Australia. I prefer the sandalwood version. I used it for hair, body and washing clothing. It does tend to be a bit harsh on hair & face, but smells pleasant!

Very small Dr. Bonners bottle lasted me one full month bathing and clothes watching
-nuff said….

My husband and I both tried out the Dr. Bronners to find out if it would work for us as a single solution for our upcoming camino and both found that it dried our skin terribly (I had to use more body lotion than normal after using that soap) and it left our hair feeling heavy and unclean, just as if we'd used a regular bar of body soap. I have fine/frizzy hair and he has thicker curly hair. Just FYI.

My head is almost shaved when I go and i only shave my beard about every 10 days. I hate cold water in the shower Hatttttte it!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.