• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do on the 10th?

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Part of the reason my wife and I are walking the Camino in June is because June 10th will be our 25th wedding anniversary. The Camino is part of our celebration.

I'm looking for what may be some difficult advice. I have no idea how fast or slowly we will travel and I don't want to over plan the trip, but if I'm guessing correctly, we'll be somewhere between Hornillos and Fromista on our anniversary.

There are two ways I could go with this. I could attempt to splurge and treat my bride to something luxurious or extravagant. However, the timing seems to put us in a location that may be too remote for any nice hotel or resort or anything of that nature; but I'd like your ideas.

Alternatively, we could dedicate the day to service. This is a nice general idea, but again I wonder if anyone might have some creative ideas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Part of the reason my wife and I are walking the Camino in June is because June 10th will be our 25th wedding anniversary. The Camino is part of our celebration . . . I'm guessing correctly, we'll be somewhere between Hornillos and Fromista on our anniversary.

There are two ways I could go with this. I could attempt to splurge and treat my bride to something luxurious or extravagant. However, the timing seems to put us in a location that may be too remote for any nice hotel or resort or anything of that nature; but I'd like your ideas.

Oh, yee of little faith! Hornillos is home to my favorite rural casa (bed and breakfast) on the Camino. The El Molino (a few kilometers south of the Camino) is not only a fabulous bed and breakfast, but it's plays a part in the movie The Way. And Martin Sheen's grandson, Taylor Estevez, married the daughter of the owners. The pictures on the wall of Martin Sheen and Emillo Estevez are not movie memorabilia--they are family photos. Best dinner I had on the Camino was at the El Molino. And sleeping in a movie set was kind of fun.

The place which Robert mentioned above is actually located in Vilviestre de Muño. The Casa Rural El Molino offers good food and comfortable private rooms. Here is their web. This handsome bed and breakfast is a renovated water mill. February 2009 the municipal albergue in Hornillos was closed. After I telephoned El Molino the owner picked me up from the camino to spend the night at his mill and after breakfast next day returned me and two Japanese pilgrims to the same spot to continue on our way.

MM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. We've resisted watching The Way prior to our trip, so "how would I have known?" :)
This sounds like a winner if the timing works out. Otherwise, if we're a bit further along, any other ideas?

Thank you. We've resisted watching The Way prior to our trip, so "how would I have known?" :)
This sounds like a winner if the timing works out. Otherwise, if we're a bit further along, any other ideas?

You might wait to splurge on a room at the Parador San Marcos in Leon.
(Also check booking.com for rates.) I have never stayed here but waltzed in wearing my complete winter kit one recent frigid morning to sample hot chocolate, peruse the unique cloister garden, get a sello and, of course, use the loo. All was MOST impressive. First built as a 12th century monastery and rebuilt in the 16th century as the headquarters of the Knights of Santiago this sumptuous riverside structure today is a super-deluxe hotel.

MM

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like the Casa Rural idea (tourist office when you get to Burgos if you haven't organised something before then). Even better the Parador in Leon but that might be too far ahead. There are special "Golden Days" rates for those over 50.

Most memorable for me was a birthday dinner in Conques (Le Puy route) in a really first rate restaurant overlooking the village and church - spectacular. A good view goes a long way. My beloved got a lot of Brownie points for that one.

PS I have stayed at the Parador in Leon and it is special. Be sure to get the buffet breakfast included - and plan to give yourself plenty of time to eat it. It's not often one is justified in eating huge amounts but on Camino you can. And a fabulous buffet breakfast is a great way to go.
Leon is my favourite city on the CF. Cathedral stain glass windows are breathtakingly beautiful.

We planned on doing the Camino for our 25th anniversary as well, but with work, kids in college, etc. we spent our 26th anniversary on the Camino. We did not get so spend our anniversary in Leon, but we did treat ourselves to the Parador for our anniversary when we got to Leon! Money well spent!! Enjoy your Camino!!

Jim

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like the Casa Rural idea (tourist office when you get to Burgos if you haven't organised something before then). Even better the Parador in Leon but that might be too far ahead. There are special "Golden Days" rates for those over 50.

Most memorable for me was a birthday dinner in Conques (Le Puy route) in a really first rate restaurant overlooking the village and church - spectacular. A good view goes a long way. My beloved got a lot of Brownie points for that one.

Hey, what are you trying to imply? We spent our 26th anniversary on the Camino, as I just posted, and we have a few more to go before we can use the "Golden Days" special rates :D

Hey, what are you trying to imply? We spent our 26th anniversary on the Camino, as I just posted, and we have a few more to go before we can use the "Golden Days" special rates :D

So sorry MMTG! I meant the Young Getaway promotion of course!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We planned on doing the Camino for our 25th anniversary as well, but with work, kids in college, etc. we spent our 26th anniversary on the Camino. We did not get so spend our anniversary in Leon, but we did treat ourselves to the Parador for our anniversary when we got to Leon! Money well spent!! Enjoy your Camino!!

Jim
I realized yesterday (horrors!! Where does time go???) that we will be celebrating our 39th anniversary the day we hope to arrive in Santiago.. WOW!!! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I spent our 8th anniversary in Hornillos last summer. We stayed in a casa rural right on the Camino which is owned by the same family as El Molino. We celebrated with a homemade dinner of pasta and canned sauce (the store in Hornillos is tiny). We thought it was our best anniversary ever!

Well I'm in double trouble here folks. Thank you for all the suggestions. I just realized that in addition to our anniversary, my wife will also be celebrating a birthday. What was I thinking! :) OK so I don't intent to pack a special gift or anything, but I'd like to pick up a token along the way. What was would be your recommendations regarding a nice token gift fit for a birthday?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sold! Are they easy to find on the Camino? If so, where?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Santiago de Compostella in abundance - occasionally you see them at other places but not often. I bought a pretty blue and white porcelain one at Roncesvalles. Silver is very common in Santiago, gold a little harder to find. And my daughter found a lovely enamelled one in Santiago.

If you google images for "scallop shell pendant" quite a few come up. I always keep an eye out at local jewellery shops and they never seem to come up. You may find something online.

I'd love shopping for one with my husband in Santiago after arrival - maybe the promise written out? That way you know she will like it.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back