• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do when you can't walk?

Terri B

Time of past OR future Camino
1998 St Cuthberts Way, 1999 West Highland Way, 2016 & 2019 SJPDP to Santiago, 2020 Porto to Santiago
Hi all, I attempted the Camino Frances in 2016 and due to some medical hiccups I had to bus two sections. I plan to return in 2019, but at the moment am recovering from abdominal surgery and can't walk too far. So what to do, a friend found me this great jigsaw puzzle recently and it has kept the Camino fresh in my mind while I recover. Hopefully I'll be back out there trains soon. Buen Caminoimage.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Terri, get well soon. Camino will be there for you.
Take it easy. You will soon be on a camino again.

Great puzzle! Love it.

Last year I had to take a break due to leg injury on the Portuguese.

Ended up in Ponte De Lima for four days. Stayed in a room above pizza place.

Drove me nuts.

The pizza was good. And, Ponte De Lima is a great place to be stuck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ONLY two years?? Some people rush where others fear to tread.....

;):)
Sorry, but I'm pedantic when it comes to planning. It also coincided with a zero birthday and I also had to save up some leave.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry, but I'm pedantic when it comes to planning. It also coincided with a zero birthday and I also had to save up some leave.

Hi Terri, I'm well over 2 years pre-planning now, may even take a decade....

I've just looked! 5 different puzzles and two sources. Media Store House and zazzle.co.uk. I couldn't resist it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all, I attempted the Camino Frances in 2016 and due to some medical hiccups I had to bus two sections. I plan to return in 2019, but at the moment am recovering from abdominal surgery and can't walk too far. So what to do, a friend found me this great jigsaw puzzle recently and it has kept the Camino fresh in my mind while I recover. Hopefully I'll be back out there trains soon. Buen CaminoView attachment 40836

2019 long way away. Get better and fitter. As a former camino walker you can do same again walk when able. The Camino will always be there BUT will we

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Camino will wait for you. And where is that fabulous puzzle from?!
A friend found it at a garage sale. It was made in 2009 by a German company called Ravensburger.

Once your doctor gives the ok, train like you’re training for a marathon of walking. Start with one block every morning for a week, then two, then three, then maybe you’re up to a mile on your 4th week, or maybe you need to go slower. 2019 is so many weeks away and you have time! Take it slow at first and don’t rush because that’s how ppl re injure themselves. I guess your Camino is starting now during that training period. Btw I’m not medical professional so take my advice with a grain of salt, but this is what I would do in your situation if my doctor gave the ok.

Worse comes to worse, your Camino might be shorter. I had friends who had to do only about 10-15km/day because of medical issues. You make your own Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, I attempted the Camino Frances in 2016 and due to some medical hiccups I had to bus two sections. I plan to return in 2019, but at the moment am recovering from abdominal surgery and can't walk too far. So what to do, a friend found me this great jigsaw puzzle recently and it has kept the Camino fresh in my mind while I recover. Hopefully I'll be back out there trains soon. Buen CaminoView attachment 40836
Hi Terry, the remain of the Apostle Santiago are there since at least 814 AD, so I would not hurry, get better and then you will be able to let your pilgrimage begin with the blessing of Santiago.
Ultreia;)

Terri, Hang in there. Be patient and give it time. The soonest I can go again is 2021, which is a Holy Year for the Camino, I have that to look forward to. In the meantime follow others and live vicariously on their journey through social media and dream. You’ll be out there in God’s time. Focus in getting well!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back