A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

What's the craziest thing you have done to save weight?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2019
I most certainly did not spend hours filling pill bags...lol Just dumped an entire bottle of Tylenol, or Motrin, etc into bags. Not filling daily bags of pills...lol Those tiny pill bags are great for all kinds of things...sawed off Qtips, safety pins, thread and needles, spices....
I actually filled 50 tiny, tiny zip locks (made for earrings) - available at craft stores) with all of my pills for each day. That way I don't have to open and close every bag a couple of times a day. Took me 40 minutes.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I actually filled 50 tiny, tiny zip locks (made for earrings) - available at craft stores) with all of my pills for each day. That way I don't have to open and close every bag a couple of times a day. Took me 40 minutes.
I do the same. I actually weighed the little baggies before I filled them and compared them to the weight of larger baggies to hold the pills and it was an ounce or two that I was willing to carry for the convenience of just grabbing a little baggie each day. And if course every one that I used made my pack lighter.

Darby67

Enólogo caminando
Camino(s) past & future
2018 CF Jan-Feb, Roncesvalles - SdC - Muxia - Fisterra
It is looking more and more possible for me to escape to Spain again in the coming 2 weeks! I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. And this year, my wife will likely join for part or entirety. TBD soon. This year I'm jettisoning my sleeping bag. That is my crazy idea. I barely needed it last year in favor of a heavier liner and a standard silk liner.

But I am choosing to add considerable weight to replace it. :rolleyes: I plan on taking my DSLR and one lens...but everything that goes with it. Battery and charger are a bit unique. I've found a knockoff charger that is about half the size and weight as the original, but still considerable. So I'm working the numbers to go bare bones to accommodate the extra burden. Oh and the extra weight of rain gear for the camera. I am working on getting my wife's bag as ultra-light as possible...(shhh, she may check-in here, pack-mule:p)

Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012)
TdMB/KLW(2014)
Portugues(2015)
St Olavs Way(2016)
88 Temples Japan(2017)
PWC & VF (2019)
Tried most of the tips on this post

Just try explaining all this to non Camino walkers
Impossible isn't it?!
They just don't "get it"
And can you blame them really!
Getting ready to fly out and start walking tomorrow (yeah :)) This morning I decided that the smallest toothpaste tube I could get at the supermarket was too bulky and heavy so I spent several minutes fiddling around to partially fill a smaller empty tube I found.

I found myself thinking I can't be the only crazy one and wondering what other folks have done.
Oh my...I thought I'd pretty well nailed the 'travel light' thing...until reading the replies to this thread. I'm such an amateur! We're a weird bunch us LDWs (Long Distance Walkers) but you gotta love us. I meticulously weigh everything; that's 18gm...but THAT one is only 17gms...winner! Now...to saw the handle off my toothbrush... 😇 Thanks for laughs everyone..& to you NomadBoomer for raising the topic.

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Camino(s) past & future
Poco a poco: we're nibbling away at the Francés. (2015, 2016 & 2017)
I get the impression that the ultralight wilderness hikers have us peregrinos beat by a longshot when it comes to obsessing about weight. There are some “ultralight” packing tips circulating in the pilgrim community which they would consider boat-anchor heavy.

For a very entertaining guide to that subculture’s notion of ultralight, I recommend this book.

Lighten Up!: A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking

by Don Ladigin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/210669

Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012)
TdMB/KLW(2014)
Portugues(2015)
St Olavs Way(2016)
88 Temples Japan(2017)
PWC & VF (2019)
I get the impression that the ultralight wilderness hikers have us peregrinos beat by a longshot when it comes to obsessing about weight. There are some “ultralight” packing tips circulating in the pilgrim community which they would consider boat-anchor heavy.

For a very entertaining guide to that subculture’s notion of ultralight, I recommend this book.

Lighten Up!: A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking

by Don Ladigin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/210669
I have been known...wait for it...to take the pully bit off zippers leaving just the slidey bit... Yes, sad & desperate, but true 😇 In my defence, some them are over-sized & unnecessarily weighty... 😁

Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012)
TdMB/KLW(2014)
Portugues(2015)
St Olavs Way(2016)
88 Temples Japan(2017)
PWC & VF (2019)
LOL GREAT! I too cut short my toothbrush and comb handles, photograph as much as possible but still carry my paper guidebook, cut labels etc. Mostly I buy as needed which is in my opinion the BEST way to save weight and learn what I really need.
The only problem with 'buy as you go' is you can pretty well guarantee when you need something, you'll only be able to get it in mega sized-jumbo-family pack 😄 Been there, done that!

Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012)
TdMB/KLW(2014)
Portugues(2015)
St Olavs Way(2016)
88 Temples Japan(2017)
PWC & VF (2019)
I have been known...wait for it...to take the pully bit off zippers leaving just the slidey bit... Yes, sad & desperate, but true 😇 In my defence, some them are over-sized & unnecessarily weighty... 😁
I've often paid the price for my committment to 'the cause', with many a cut & bloodied fingers...some of those pully thingys are on to stay on!

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 126 15.4%
  • May

Votes: 199 24.3%