• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wheelchair Friendly Sections?

Blazingtrails

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2019)
Hi all,

My Grandmother is 87 and requires a wheelchair due to heart failure, she can walk, but not very far before getting out of breath.

She has a pacemaker and has been cleared by the doctor to fly. It's no secret that she's on borrowed time, but she's full of life as always and just wants to live her life to the full.

She has always wanted to do the Camino de Santiago and we are thinking to do the last 70km or so over a period of around 5 days. From my limited research so far, it seems the route between Os Valos and Santiago de Compostela is about this length.

My biggest struggle is finding out the quality of the path/inclines etc across the route. We will look at getting an off-road wheelchair with tougher tyres, but if any of you lovely people have any advice, it would be much welcomed!

Thank you :) x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are looking at a hilly stretch with at least one stream crossing! Some of it is road and improved path, but there are some steep hills. Most of the wheelchair friendly parts are in the meseta where there is improved "senda."

You seem to have a good handle on what you want to accomplish with your grandmother on Camino. Given what you wrote in your post, is your grandmother wanting to receive a Compostela certificate after arriving in Santiago de Compostela? If this is the case, then the issue of how many kilometers are traveled might come into play with your planning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You seem to have a good handle on what you want to accomplish with your grandmother on Camino. Given what you wrote in your post, is your grandmother wanting to receive a Compostela certificate after arriving in Santiago de Compostela? If this is the case, then the issue of how many kilometers are traveled might come into play with your planning.

She hasn't mentioned anything about a certificate to me, but I'm certain she would love one! Is there a minimum distance that must be travelled to qualify for a Compostela certificate? Apologies for my naivety on this, I hadn't heard of the pilgrimage until about a month ago, so it's all very new territory. Thank you.

You are looking at a hilly stretch with at least one stream crossing! Some of it is road and improved path, but there are some steep hills. Most of the wheelchair friendly parts are in the meseta where there is improved "senda."

Oh dear. Do you know how deep, wide the stream is? Myself and her son are planning to do the route with her. If it's usually shallow enough to walk through, I expect we could carry the chair, but thanks for bringing that to my attention!

If someone pushes a wheelchair for at least the final 100 km on any approved route into Santiago, they can be awarded a Compostela. Of course, both persons need to have appropriately stamped pilgrim credencials, with at least two sellos / stamps per day in the final 100 km. The person in the wheelchair is considered to have made the Camino as well.

The option if you and son walk, and mom walks a little, then skips ahead using a bus or taxi to meet you, is to request one of your two Compostelas with the In Vicare Pro annotation at the bottom. This means that you were doing your Camino in place of someone who is physically unable to do it themselves or may be deceased. I have done two of these. In this instance, only one stamped credencial is needed. Pilgrim Office staff add the annotation at your request and then add the person's name, first name in Latin. You just need to ask when you get to the counter.

As regards mom doing the Camino, I am thinking that if the OP and son are strong enough, they can help mom across any stream and then carry the chair. Where there is a will, there is usually a way. These stream crossing almost always have a rudimentary bridge or large stones that one steps across.

If you are looking for a ruggedized wheelchair with mountain bike like, knobby tread tires, consider one with a higher back and shoulder straps. I am serious. The LAST thing you want is for mom to fall out of the chair if the route is short-term bumpy or uneven. Someone sitting down has less balance than someone on their feet.

As far as routes are concerned, I recall that the final 100 km from Tui on the Portuguese and Sarria on the Camino Frances are not very hilly. The again, after walking 700 km to get there, those smaller hills seemed inconsequential... I will allow others to help out as regards a suggested routing.

Bear in mind that to get the Compostela, you must walk the final 100 km into Santiago, Just any 100 km does not qualify. However, if all you want to do is experience the Camino, then I concur with those who recommend the Meseta. It starts after Burgos and ends at Leon. You can pick a segment or segment to suit your needs. I will let others help you fine tune this option.

I hope this helps and I sincerely wish you well. We would all be interested to know how you make out with this effort.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If someone pushes a wheelchair for at least the final 100 km on any approved route into Santiago, they can be awarded a Compostela. Of course, both persons need to have appropriately stamped pilgrim credencials, with at least two sellos / stamps per day in the final 100 km. The person in the wheelchair is considered to have made the Camino as well.

The option if you and son walk and mom walks a little, then skips ahead using a bus or taxi to meet you, is to request one of your two Compostelas with the In Vicare Pro annotation at the bottom. This means that you were doing your Camino in place of someone who is physically unable to do it themselves or may be deceased. I have done two of these. In this instance, only one stamped credencial is needed. Pilgrim Office staff add the annotation at your request and then add the person's name, first name in Latin. You just need to ask when you get to the counter.

As regards mom doing the Camino, I am thinking that if the OP and son are strong enough, they can help mom across any stream and then carry the chair. Where there is a will, there is usually a way. These stream crossing almost always have a rudimentary bridge or large stones that one steps across.

If you are looking for a ruggedized wheelchair with mountain bike like, knobby tread tires, consider one with a higher back and shoulder straps. I am serious. The LAST thing you want is for mom to fall out of the chair if the route is short-term bump or uneven. Someone sitting down has less balance that someone on their feet.

As far as routes are concerned, I recall that the final 100 km from Tui on the Portuguese and Sarria on the Camino Frances are not very hilly. The again, after walking 700 km to get there, those smaller hills seemed inconsequential... I will allow others to help out as regards a suggested routing.

Bear in mind that to get the Compostela, you must walk the final 100 km into Santiago, Just any 100 km does not qualify. However, if all you want to do is experience the Camino, then I concur with those who recommend the Meseta. It starts after Burgos and ends at Leon. You can pick a segment or segment to suit your needs. I will let others help you fine tune this option.

I hope this helps and I sincerely wish you well. We would all be interested to know how you make out with this effort.

This is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much! I will be documenting our progress and will surely keep you all updated :)

Last 100 of Camino Frances:

The last 100 km of the Via de la Plata from after Ourense:

For the last 100 km of the Camino Portugues, go to gronze.com and view each of the final stages. To see the profile, click on the "+" at the bottom of the perfil (profile).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last 100 of Camino Frances:
View attachment 56011

The last 100 km of the Via de la Plata from after Ourense:

View attachment 56013

For the last 100 km of the Camino Portugues, go to gronze.com and view each of the final stages. To see the profile, click on the "+" at the bottom of the perfil (profile).

Thank you :)

Wow!! what a wonderful thing to do @Blazingtrails. I've no doubt it will be tough but with preparation and perseverance I've also no doubt it can be done. Sorry that I have no practical advice but wishing you all the best.

Rob.

She hasn't mentioned anything about a certificate to me, but I'm certain she would love one! Is there a minimum distance that must be travelled to qualify for a Compostela certificate? Apologies for my naivety on this, I hadn't heard of the pilgrimage until about a month ago, so it's all very new territory. Thank you.

What Tom says :). As a longtime volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in SdC, he can offer solid advice on that matter. I brought the issue up in case that was something that you realize you want to obtain once you reach the end of your Camino walk. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can also order your Pilgrim's Credencial for collecting the necessary sellos (stamps) for a Compostela ahead of time. One place would be from the Forum Store.

You can also contact one of the Pilgrim associations, like American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) and fill out an online form to obtain Credencials. The Credencials will be sent to you, with the needed ID information already filled out, for each member of your family that you made a request for.

This can also be done through the various Confraternities of St. James in various countries, like the one in the U.K.

These websites also contain a lot of information about the Caminos which may also be of help to you. :)

You may find the documentary "I will push you" interesting. It is on YouTube. I hope getting a credential does not become too big of a deal. Just do "her" camino and you will all be blessed. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back