• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When plans go pear-shaped …. Need Meseta strategy with a recovering bruised hip

Rhys

Time of past OR future Camino
CF March 2024
I am posting this from Estella where the weather is very warm and the sun is more intense than I expected. It is amazing!

You may recall two previous threads — one in which you persuaded me to walk the Meseta, and then one in I asked about three gentle days from Pamplona (why? Because two days before I departed I tripped over the dog, landed on my left hip and deeply bruised it. Black and blue and sore. But now, 6 days later and after four days in Spain it is better and sort of yellow green…)

That is why I wanted three gentle days to start — though in fact I have chosen a “hop-on-hop off” bus strategy so that I walk with my loaded pack 2-4 hours per day with the bus either before or after. Example: bus to Roncesvalles from Pamplona, then a lovely 2 hour walk to Espinal. My bruised hip (and ego) are doing well with this approach which I will continue it to Burgos, compressing Estella to Burgos to three days due to bus-hopping schedules.

But then after Burgos comes the Meseta which I am now keen to (mostly) do — yes, you good folks persuaded me — starting this weekend (March 23-25, tbd depending on bookings).

Strategy A. Carry my pack and be willing to hop on a bus on any given day if necessary. But it looks like there is little if any bus local bus service along the towns — perhaps someone can share the schedules /companies?

Strategy B. Luggage transport. I bought a very lightweight 30L duffle @ Decathlon into which I could put the things I do not need by day, have that transported, and carry my good pack with a “daypack” load. This seems sensible but:

(a) would I need to book all my nights on the Meseta in advance (especially since it is Semana Santa) to make sure I could get luggage transport (and how is that arranged?).

(b). Would albergues be willing to accept a nylon duffle rather than a backpack?

Thoughts greatly appreciated! And now I will go explore Estella in the glorious afternoon sun….

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
would I need to book all my nights on the Meseta in advance (especially since it is Semana Santa) to make sure I could get luggage transport (and how is that arranged?).
No. You can arrange luggage transport day by day.

Would albergues be willing to accept a nylon duffle rather than a backpack?
If they accept transported luggage they should accept the duffel. I think that there are a couple that won't take rolling luggage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It gets easier after Estella.

Honestly, if carrying your pack really is that hard for incompressible physical reasons, then transport it -- though I would certainly suggest rest days if needed.

However, distances between Albergues will now be decreasing day-to-day as we move into Spring, so that shorter days can be achieved without those annoying compromises.

The great thing about the Meseta when the season starts to turn warm is that it's super flat, easy on the joints, and the daily stage can be as short or long as you like (with one notable exception, and even that might be hackable on a tarmac option).

Also -- down from the Pyrenees to Logroño etc. is not "gentle".

You do not need to book all nights in advance if you need to transport your pack -- just send it to the first point that you're sure to get to, then if needed, collect and carry it on to the place you can actually get to.

Booking far ahead is a particularly bad tactic/strategy for those with mobility problems !!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Luggage transport is easy. Your hospitalero will be able to help with that. Your hospitalero will also be able to advise and help is booking is required in your next stop.
I haven't walked during santa semana, but your hospitalera will know what is happening in the next stage and will be happy to call ahead and make sure that your have a place.

G

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now I just need to find the extremely local bus schedules..
I am sorry to hear about your injury but you can be confident that you picked the absolute best route to have this happen on. There are buses that virtually track the Camino Francés, town to town.

Here’s a schematic map showing Alsa routes on the various caminos.

From Pamplona to Logroño, it’s a different company, La Estellesa. And you can see that at least one of their buses from Pamplona to Logroño makes 19 stops (for a total distance of about 90 kms!), so you should not have a problem.

I think you can also rely on the hospitaleros or other local people who will know the bus schedule and help you out.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery, you’ve got great backup options!

Double check that luggage transport will be available on the dates you need or want it. Generally it is April when they start at least for Correos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, all.

I have indeed been bus-hopping on La Estellasa from Pomona to Longrono. I did not become aware of this bus company via Google or Rome2Rio but by visiting ticket booths at the Pamplona bus station. (Local and rural bus services in the UK are equally fragmented)

When I arrive in Burgos I will study options at the bus station for links among meseta towns — though if like the UK they may well be once a day or thrice a week …

But with luggage transport (Jacotrans is currently active) I hope to avoid “human transport”

Thank you, all.

I have indeed been bus-hopping on La Estellasa from Pomona to Longrono. I did not become aware of this bus company via Google or Rome2Rio but by visiting ticket booths at the Pamplona bus station. (Local and rural bus services in the UK are equally fragmented)

When I arrive in Burgos I will study options at the bus station for links among meseta towns — though if like the UK they may well be once a day or thrice a week …

But with luggage transport (Jacotrans is currently active) I hope to avoid “human transport”
You seem to be under some time pressure, which is unfortunate, but well -- sometimes that's how the dice roll.

A slow Camino with rest days is at least as good as, if not better, than one planned in advance from some abstract schedule.

You do seem to have around 5 weeks ahead of you, so that at about 15K-20K/day you should be fine. I'm slower than that personally, but I am VERY slow !!

I'd say stop worrying, and just walk. If you need pack transport for health reasons, then so be it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am posting this from Estella where the weather is very warm and the sun is more intense than I expected. It is amazing!

You may recall two previous threads — one in which you persuaded me to walk the Meseta, and then one in I asked about three gentle days from Pamplona (why? Because two days before I departed I tripped over the dog, landed on my left hip and deeply bruised it. Black and blue and sore. But now, 6 days later and after four days in Spain it is better and sort of yellow green…)

That is why I wanted three gentle days to start — though in fact I have chosen a “hop-on-hop off” bus strategy so that I walk with my loaded pack 2-4 hours per day with the bus either before or after. Example: bus to Roncesvalles from Pamplona, then a lovely 2 hour walk to Espinal. My bruised hip (and ego) are doing well with this approach which I will continue it to Burgos, compressing Estella to Burgos to three days due to bus-hopping schedules.

But then after Burgos comes the Meseta which I am now keen to (mostly) do — yes, you good folks persuaded me — starting this weekend (March 23-25, tbd depending on bookings).

Strategy A. Carry my pack and be willing to hop on a bus on any given day if necessary. But it looks like there is little if any bus local bus service along the towns — perhaps someone can share the schedules /companies?

Strategy B. Luggage transport. I bought a very lightweight 30L duffle @ Decathlon into which I could put the things I do not need by day, have that transported, and carry my good pack with a “daypack” load. This seems sensible but:

(a) would I need to book all my nights on the Meseta in advance (especially since it is Semana Santa) to make sure I could get luggage transport (and how is that arranged?).

(b). Would albergues be willing to accept a nylon duffle rather than a backpack?

Thoughts greatly appreciated! And now I will go explore Estella in the glorious afternoon sun….
So sorry to hear of your unfortunate injury. Another Meseta option is to rent a bicycle with panniers (carry your pack on the back of your bike). The Meseta is relatively flat so it is easy pedaling. I did this in 2017 due to a really bad foot blister. The bike gave me time to heal so that I was able to walk the rest of the way from Leon. Rented the bike through Jacotrans (they delivered it to my Alberque) and I dropped it off in Leon.
Buen Camino

As someone who has experienced extensive bruising (and abrasions) from falls, and slow to heal, I can share hopeful news. Now that your injury no longer unbearably hampers your walking, and there’s little to no expectation of another fall before full recovery, know that your now green/yellow color bruise stage will be daily improved as you continue to gently use the affected area. Physical activity in the bruised area, in my experience, increases the healing process. If you are able at this stage, more exercise in moderation will increase the bruising diminution. And by all means, hop on the bus when needed. No one wishes to see you fall and injure yourself again.

Unless things have changed, bus service on the Meseta is spotty. I remember one town (Fromista?) where the bus only came through one day a week. But I imagine it's easy to find a taxi. Ask in any bar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I would ship your duffle and walk (B). But rather than book everything in advance, I would just book a day in advance, so you know each morning where you will be sending your bag and you decide that afternoon how far you think you might want to walk tomorrow and book something there. That will give you more flexibility to respond to what your bruised hip is telling you about what you are capable of and still give you all of the walking.

It is only a very few places that accept shipped luggage but require it to be a backpack. As I recall, places that accept checked luggage generally have little envelopes that you fill out and attach to your luggage saying where it is going. Then you leave the luggage with the envelope attached in the lobby. You may put the money for the shipping in the envelope or pay online. Folks who have actually used the services can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you to all. My splitting the day between bus and walking this week is doing well to maintain mobility in the now pale green hip.

I now have a strategy sorted so I can walk the meseta without concern about stress injury — Jacottans.

And while I am unlikely to trip over my own dog soon— he is 6000 miles away! — I will none the less be careful not to trip over anything eclectic soon.

My spouse had a bad hip too. She opted to send her pack ahead for several legs. You’re right, there isn’t convenient bus or train service thru the meseta. You’ll have to skip over some places if you want to take the train OR shorten your distances for a few days until you are better. It’s your Camino. Take care of yourself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Find a pharmacia or natural remedy shop and buy some Arnica cream or lotion . It is an amazing cure for deep bruising and the dispersion of subcutaneous haematoma. Frankly akin to witchcraft , so effective as to be akin to some type of arcane magic .
Get well soon , walking is also a great remedy !

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.