• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When you say "calling ahead..."

gmonkey

I eat, I drink, I write. And soon, I walk!
Time of past OR future Camino
October (2014)
Greetings! I begin my Camino from Burgos on Sept 22 (wow, that's soon!). In my albergue research, I've seen a lot of references to calling ahead to make reservations.

To clarify, if there is a so-called bed race happening near the end of the day, is it in my best interest to call ahead to an albergue (both municipal and private) in the town I plan on ending in for the day?

What happens if I don't make it to my planned stop for the day and I've made a reservation? I was under the impression it would be first come, first serve.

I'm all for the accepting whatever the Camino provides, but I'd like to remain somewhat spontaneous, while still have a bed/floor/shelter to sleep in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gmonkey, there is no point in calling ahead to municipal or paroquial Albergues. They do not accept reservations. Some private Albergues do, not all. The high season on the Camino Frances is coming to an end and the bed-race is mostly just that, a race - not a necessity. You can of course book a room in a Hostal, hotel and some private Albergues, though if you don't actually get there you may still incur cost and/or deprive another pilgrim of a potential bed.

If you reserved, but won't make it, call to cancel, even if it is only a few hours. It frees up the bed for someone who needs it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for clarifying, Tincatinker!

I am now in the pre-Camino phase of "obsessing about all the things out of my control." So I'm sure I'll have more to ask.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi gmonkey! I too will be leaving Burgos on the 22nd, walked from StJPdP last year and only booked my first night in St Jean (see profile pic!). Totally winged it and only once missed a bed in a place I would have liked to stay, found one only five minutes later.
The forum seems to imply a busy month and we will be walking with pilgrims who are starting today. We could make plans and then they change? The camino will provide and it will be a truly wonderful experience. I was a compulsive overthinker and planner before my trip last year.The camino taught me a lot!
Hope you have a Buen Camino and maybe see you on the Way?
Sarah

Sarah, a buen camino to you as well and hopefully we will meet on the path!

Thanks for the information and assurances all. Whenever I embark on a new adventure I like to do tons of research as preparation, which is great, but sometimes can lead me down a rabbit hole that only creates new worst-case-scenarios in my head. But asking questions and getting answers from well-seasoned veterans like those on this forum usually quell my nerves!

I have lots of energy and jitters now, but by the 22nd I'll convert that into putting one foot in front of the other.

Greetings! I begin my Camino from Burgos on Sept 22 (wow, that's soon!). In my albergue research, I've seen a lot of references to calling ahead to make reservations.

To clarify, if there is a so-called bed race happening near the end of the day, is it in my best interest to call ahead to an albergue (both municipal and private) in the town I plan on ending in for the day?

What happens if I don't make it to my planned stop for the day and I've made a reservation? I was under the impression it would be first come, first serve.

I'm all for the accepting whatever the Camino provides, but I'd like to remain somewhat spontaneous, while still have a bed/floor/shelter to sleep in.
Hey gmonkey,

I walked SJPdP to Santiago this past June and July and only had reservations my first night (at Orisson) and my last night in Santiago (which I made the day before with a phone call.) I did not have any trouble finding a bed. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the information and assurances all. Whenever I embark on a new adventure I like to do tons of research as preparation, which is great, but sometimes can lead me down a rabbit hole that only creates new worst-case-scenarios in my head. But asking questions and getting answers from well-seasoned veterans like those on this forum usually quell my nerves!

I have lots of energy and jitters now, but by the 22nd I'll convert that into putting one foot in front of the other.

I know the insecure feeling before any trip with many 'what if's' in my head. The beautiful thing about walking for me is that I need both feet on the ground. As soon as I do that on a start of a camino life starts, the if's disappear, I can inhale what is there and just be and do. No place for rabbit holes any more :)

On the other hand my friends and I have seen towns totally completo even by early afternoon. This includes all accommodation.

Some people were going to sleep outside.a church but a nun coming to mass put them up,

Perhaps we've hit a busy crest but it has not been as easy as some here have indicated so we have started booking ahead.

Hello! I'm on Day 9, taking a short day (10 mile) in Nahera. After the first few days, the bed situation has evened out, although it gets harder after 4 pm. Personally, I am against making reservations--very controlling, and done out of fear. Trust in the Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There were 1,500 comostelas yesterday. It is still busy, at least at the end.;)
I'm not suggesting this simply to make more work for the already overworked volunteers at the pilgrims' office, but it would be interesting to see how this daily total compares, perhaps on a weekly basis, for the past several weeks. That would allow a somewhat reasonable projection of how the incoming traffic may be back along the Camino (at least the CF). Another option would be to compare the number of starts at the various major starting points on the same time basis.

Admittedly, statistics such as this do not tell the true story of actual number of pilgrims on the trail since raw data such as this does not necessarily include a) the starting points of those who finish on a certain day; or b) the number of pilgrims who drop out along the way after their start data has been reported (many pilgrims walk the Camino in segments). So in either case it could only be interpreted as a semi-accurate count or an educated guess.

In the end, though, real-time statistical studies such as this would probably make the whole thing too scientific and analytical, and may not only detract from the spontaneity of the Camino but discourage someone from doing it altogether.

[...] So in either case it could only be interpreted as a semi-accurate count or an educated guess.
In the end, though, real-time statistical studies such as this would probably make the whole thing too scientific and analytical, and may not only detract from the spontaneity of the Camino but discourage someone from doing it altogether.
Well, yes, there are statistics and lies.:rolleyes:
However, not to panic too soon: last year during the first half of October there were days when over 1'000 pilgrims registered at the Pilgrims' Office. Santiago has proved of being able to handle quite a few more visitors than this meager number.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the last seven days, 8,711 compostelas. In the seven days before that, 7,248.

In the last seven days, 8,711 compostelas. In the seven days before that, 7,248.
So, if we accept the difference in those two weeks as indicative of the entire year, and with a bit of rounding to make it simpler, we can project that there will be approximately 1300 compostelas issued during the week ending 1 November, and that the number of pilgrims along the Camino in general are declining. Therein lies the folly of accepting statistics at face value. While my original post on this topic may have not been clear in its intent, such statistics based on a limited sampling can only be interpreted as -- maybe "lies" is a bit harsh, but "guesstimates" may be a better description. But it does make for interesting conversation, and ultimately shows only that worrying about a "bed race" based on reports dated today, yesterday, a week ago, or a month ago are only meaningful if a pilgrim will actually be arriving at that location within a few days of the report. Someone starting today in SJPP should not be worrying about getting a bed, except perhaps at Orisson.

The first week in November last year had about 200 compostelas per day. The last two weeks in November had mostly under 100 per day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first week in November last year had about 200 compostelas per day. The last two weeks in November had mostly under 100 per day.
There ya go! Thanks for proving that strictly relying on statistics is indeed a folly. (But of course, last year's statistics could have been an aberration, yada yada yada ;))

We were in Zubiri two nights ago, Sep 11th. Arrived about 3:30pm. Nothing available. Municipal aberque wouldn't even let us lay a sleeping bag down. Wasn't her problem. She is not a tour guide. Tourism office wouldn't even call us a taxi. Maria from a private hostel called for us. Had to pay 30 euros for a drive to Pamplona. Larrasoana booked slam full too. We have purchased a phone and making reservations. Buen Camino.

We were in Zubiri two nights ago, Sep 11th. Arrived about 3:30pm. Nothing available. Municipal aberque wouldn't even let us lay a sleeping bag down. Wasn't her problem. [...]Larrasoana booked slam full too. We have purchased a phone and making reservations. Buen Camino.
I could question whether the hostals, either in Zubiri or Larrasoaña, were also packed to the roof. And before getting into Pamplona there are places like Trinidad de Arre and Burlada to stay. Check whether you are in one of the "in"famous waves of walkers, wait and let them gallop ahead, and at this time of the year you will find enough attractive places to stay in without having to make reservations.
Ultreya;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.