• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where and how I got lost on the Valcarlos route

markmcilroy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016
CF 2017
Le Puy 2018
CF 2022
VDLP 9/ 2023
Having done the Napoleon route in 2016 and the Valcarlos route in 2017 with no problems I thought I'd do the Valcarlos again last year but this time I got very lost. Once I got home I checked with the help of Google Earth / Street view to see exactly where I went wrong so this posting maybe of use to future pilgrims.

After sleeping outside in Valcarlos as the Albergue was closed for the month I walked in rain and light wind and followed the signs and eventually turned off the main road into the very small village of Gainekolta. There are only about 10 houses in the village and I saw 1 Camino sign on the side of a house but I didn't see the 2nd sign which was also on the side of a house but it was quite high and as it was raining my head was down and I followed the path at the end of the street which turned left and I went uphill but I should have seen the high up yellow arrow on the right and gone that way.

The path that I took was marked with white and green stripes and it eventually took me to main Camino route and it was quite nice feeling hearing voices in a distance in the fog but that was after walking maybe 3 hours of extra walking in wind, rain and low fog and I did feel a little stressed as I wasn't sure if I was going in the right direction or not, there were no other pilgrims around for the 3 hours but the occasional farmer on their tractor so I wasn't in any real danger.

So when you get towards the end of the street in Gainekolta you need to look up high for the arrow that will point to the right not the left. The picture shows the arrow on the right that I didn't see and the wrong path on the left which I took.

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 9.31.48 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Having done the Napoleon route in 2016 and the Valcarlos route in 2017 with no problems I thought I'd do the Valcarlos again last year but this time I got very lost. Once I got home I checked with the help of Google Earth / Street view to see exactly where I went wrong so this posting maybe of use to future pilgrims.

After sleeping outside in Valcarlos as the Albergue was closed for the month I walked in rain and light wind and followed the signs and eventually turned off the main road into the very small village of Gainekolta. There are only about 10 houses in the village and I saw 1 Camino sign on the side of a house but I didn't see the 2nd sign which was also on the side of a house but it was quite high and as it was raining my head was down and I followed the path at the end of the street which turned left and I went uphill but I should have seen the high up yellow arrow on the right and gone that way.

The path that I took was marked with white and green stripes and it eventually took me to main Camino route and it was quite nice feeling hearing voices in a distance in the fog but that was after walking maybe 3 hours of extra walking in wind, rain and low fog and I did feel a little stressed as I wasn't sure if I was going in the right direction or not, there were no other pilgrims around for the 3 hours but the occasional farmer on their tractor so I wasn't in any real danger.

So when you get towards the end of the street in Gainekolta you need to look up high for the arrow that will point to the right not the left. The picture shows the arrow on the right that I didn't see and the wrong path on the left which I took.

View attachment 144050
To figure out what you did wrong is soooo fulfilling. In 2016 with Le Puy under belt five of my six kiddos and I took the Pyrenees route from Saint Jean Pied de Port north to complete the Norte. We were rather confident, or rather just not concerned, we started late and had a paper in hand if the route. We stopped along the way kissed the one eyed cat, had a coke before heading up in the hills, greeted the sheep on parade, spoke with their shepherd, told the sheep’s dog what a “ good boy” he was. Laughed, giggled, took goofy pictures of ourselves. Talked about life, food we’d request once home…
I even, no kidding, thought to myself , “ I can’t wait to share this with my forum, the signs are great you can’t get lost”. Well at one point I coukd have sworn we were lead to go off to the right, it seemed odd, my son checked it out and came back saying “no”. We continued at what seemed more obvious.

We got lost!
And it woukd become dark…
My cell phone has little juice ( but I’ve don’t a camino where no one has cell phones before)
It was cold
And I was responsible for five children…

It was a few years ago my daughters and I woukd repeat this hike because it was splendid , but I also had to find out where we got lost!!!!!

We figured it out!!!! It was where my son had turned around.

View attachment 144050
I would have missed that too!

2004 signage on the Valcarlos alternative included miniscule yellow arrows painted on popsicle-like sticks randomly attached to trees, logs, etc.

When trying to find/follow arrows my trail vibes turned 'bad'; the sun was off course and my feet were on the wrong side of a stream !!

I sought help. A farmer in a distant pasture waved and came near. When asked where the camino path lay he pointed opposite to where I had been heading. When shown the last arrow that I had erroneously followed he replied "Oh those children they do SO enjoy confusing pilgrims!" He then turned that arrow to re-face the correct direction.

How lucky it was to have met that helpful farmer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There was a major rescue exercise a few weeks ago when a peregrino was lost in snowy weather in the same Gainekoleta area. Fortunately he was found safe and taken to Roncesvalles.
hmmm....I wonder he made the same mistake that I did? although the path that I took was marked with white and green markers there were plenty of off shoot paths that could have been also taken.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 144050
Yep…almost went the wrong way at that same location. All makes for good stories.

Or you get lost and then a male pilgrim is following behind for hours thinking I was on the right path but never close enough to speak. Then you get onto the right path and heavily relieved. I don't know the nationality of the fellow but I don't think he spoke English.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back