• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where are the members from?

How lucky you are, I love Slovenia! Definitely in my top 5 of favourite European countries. Beautiful and interesting. Oh and the food!!
Oh, thank you very much :)
You are welcome to contact me when in these parts!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As I said above, perhaps my professional life has made me more relaxed about this kind of thing .

So ,when everyone in town knew where I lived ,this gave an open invitation to any criminal element. We did have 2 instances of housebreaking (Scottish legal term for burglary) but these were random and on days when we were in town.

You should get a mastiff...
22219618_276566372849285_5722295844578277372_o_276566372849285.jpg

I would really appreciate if there was an interactive map where forum members could mark where they live and where they could see who lives nearby.

Great thread, thanks for starting it!

The map shows my location as Polokwane, which is 270kms away from where I’m sitting in Sabie, and a different province, but, hey, this is Africa. No privacy worries here!

Next week my pin will be in Southwest Florida.
My palms were Frozen at a warm at 34F/3C this morning . Welcome to sunny but freezing cold Florida ...who doesn’t believe in climate change😳 😜.

I’m not far from Tampa, Florida 🇺🇸 . Originally from Jamaica, West Indies🇯🇲. Everything is Irie...Ya Mon!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I noticed the map yesterday and thought that it was a great new feature of this forum :)

Looks like I'm the only forum member from Russia on it (and I live in St Petersburg), but hey, I have neighbours in Helsinki, Stockholm, and Riga, that's nice!:)

Lucky you! I'm hoping to walk the VF or Way of St. Francis next year and I love the beauty of your country (as seen by bus tour).☺

Thank you.

Vercelli - Mortara is the closest leg of VF to me. It's about 40Km form my town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I would really like to know, which part of the world the members of this forum come from. It takes lots of times to search their profiles and many do not mention which country or area they are from.

I would really appreciate if there was an interactive map where forum members could mark where they live and where they could see who lives nearby. It is nice if you can see whom you could contact and meet easily or perhaps in your next holiday.

BC
Alexandra
Dallas, Texas USA

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree the map should stay up, with the opt out it should cover all data protection rules.
Now can someone show me how to use it.
I also need help!
Or even where it is.:mad:

There seems to be a bug such that it doesn't work right on smartphones (or at least stupid smartphones.) It doesn't work for my Android but it does on my laptop:

• Go to the URL address bar when reading a thread. You will see something like: caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/blah-blah.123456
  • Edit the address so it it ends in community/ and cause your browser to go to the address.
  • At the top of the new page you see a box saying "See the Members Map here."
  • Click the linked text "members map"
  • (I have written things this way so you do not need to remember the map's URL)
  • In the popup click "Allow Location Access"
  • A map appears with circles and/or pins. Zoom in on circles to get pins.
  • Pass over a pin and an info box appears.
  • On your own info box is a checkmark box to opt out of being seen. Check and then leave the map page.
  • If you are not opted in you will not see the map.
  • I've had no problems repeatedly opting out and then getting in again by using the "Allow Location Access" popup when getting to the map page.

Last edited:
Rick, I only use my Android phone for most things, including this forum. Being retired I have no time to go through all these steps. 😂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rick, I only use my Android phone for most things, including this forum. Being retired I have no time to go through all these steps. 😂
You? Retiring?

You need to download the "I don't have time for this; just do what I want you to do, right and the first time" app. The catch is that you already need it in order to be able to download it.

I'll have to have MY Saint James help me with this. I thought everyone was already "opted in" by osmosis, and you had to only "opt out" if you wanted to be incognito. ☺

As I said above, perhaps my professional life has made me more relaxed about this kind of thing .

"Patient to clerk : may I have an appointment with Dr X?

Clerk : sorry, no ; he is on holiday for 2 weeks"

So ,when everyone in town knew where I lived ,this gave an open invitation to any criminal element. We did have 2 instances of housebreaking (Scottish legal term for burglary) but these were random and on days when we were in town.
I like the idea of a map with maybe a general dot (not a pin) location but no further info such as IP address & definitely not street address (even if a tad inaccurate). I've openly indicated I'm from Tasmania but wouldn't like any further info given without direct permission from me. If someone wants to contact me, they can through the profile & then I can decide whether to divulge anything further in a less public environment.
It is fascinating to see the reach of the forum & a general location helps with context when asking questions or replying to others. I don't think it's as simple as 'opt-in' or 'opt-out'...I'm sure many of us would like to be 'in' but unless there are parameters we would have to take the 'out' option. Just my thoughts... 👣

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sometime, could you post some pics of Tasmania, in the ‘where did you walk locally’ thread. I’ve never seen any pics of Tasmania. 😊 (Read an interesting book tho’ a while back about someone growing up there in hard times.)

sure no problem :)

There seems to be a bug such that it doesn't work right on smartphones (or at least stupid smartphones.) It doesn't work for my Android but it does on my laptop:

• Go to the URL address bar when reading a thread. You will see something like: caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/blah-blah.123456
  • Edit the address so it it ends in community/ and cause your browser to go to the address.
  • At the top of the new page you see a box saying "See the Members Map here."
  • Click the linked text "members map"
  • (I have written things this way so you do not need to remember the map's URL)
  • In the popup click "Allow Location Access"
  • A map appears with circles and/or pins. Zoom in on circles to get pins.
  • Pass over a pin and an info box appears.
  • On your own info box is a checkmark box to opt out of being seen. Check and then leave the map page.
  • If you are not opted in you will not see the map.
  • I've had no problems repeatedly opting out and then getting in again by using the "Allow Location Access" popup when getting to the map page.
Thanks Rick, I've jut found out that it doesn't work with safari.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The map shows my location as Polokwane, which is 270kms away from where I’m sitting in Sabie

I have just noticed that I can drag my location marker on the map to my exact location, so it's now where it's supposed to be. I wonder if it will jump back again when I go offline?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sometime, could you post some pics of Tasmania, in the ‘where did you walk locally’ thread. I’ve never seen any pics of Tasmania. 😊 (Read an interesting book tho’ a while back about someone growing up there in hard times.)
Hi Icacos, I don't want to 'piggyback' on Tomishy's thread but I am also from Tasmania & thought you might be interested in the following Tassie walking options & take in some of our beautiful (I'm not biased...!) scenery.

The Overland Track is world famous; info & pics can be found at
www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=7771

The Three Capes Track is fairly 'new' & is highly regarded gaining worldwide attention. It's design is based on the same concept as New Zealand's Milford Track.. ie. a multi day hut-to-hut walk. Info & stunning pics (again...not biased! 😄 ) of our coastal scenery;
www.threecapestrack.com.au
I walked the Three Capes in the height of summer 2017 if you would like any other info.
While you're in the Parks Tasmania website, you could also check out '60 Short Walks' for more options, pics & info.
Enjoy! 👣

I am from Seattle USA, but now reside in Swaziland as a medical missionary.
I plan to do the walk again from Le Puy en Veley to SJPP in September this year.
I did the French Way from SJPP to Santiago de Compostella in 2015.
I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona in June/July 2013 and had a fantastic time on my own - in France I was very much on my own, due to my very limited French, but my "social life" widened a lot after S. Jean due to a larger number of international pilgrims. I really concider to repeat it in a few years!

I love the map idea. It makes the postings more real for me. The opt in idea seems safest to me although I personally I have absolutely no privacy concerns.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Deatnu/Tana in Finnmark in the north of Norway.

My palms were Frozen at a warm at 34F/3C this morning . Welcome to sunny but freezing cold Florida ...who doesn’t believe in climate change😳 😜.

I’m not far from Tampa, Florida 🇺🇸 . Originally from Jamaica, West Indies🇯🇲. Everything is Irie...Ya Mon!
Hi, if you would like to connect with other Pilgrims in the Tampa area, please join us at one of our hikes or events. We are the local Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. Our events get posted in the APOC website and also in our Facebook page.

Hi, seems the map is gone now? Any plans to put up something similar @ivar ?

Also: German living in Santiago de Compostela ;-)

BC SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I would really like to know, which part of the world the members of this forum come from. It takes lots of times to search their profiles and many do not mention which country or area they are from.

I would really appreciate if there was an interactive map where forum members could mark where they live and where they could see who lives nearby. It is nice if you can see whom you could contact and meet easily or perhaps in your next holiday.

BC
Alexandra
I love it! Dallas, Texas, USA, The World. Hola Amigos!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.