• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where are the members from?

Via2010

Time of past OR future Camino
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,

I would really like to know, which part of the world the members of this forum come from. It takes lots of times to search their profiles and many do not mention which country or area they are from.

I would really appreciate if there was an interactive map where forum members could mark where they live and where they could see who lives nearby. It is nice if you can see whom you could contact and meet easily or perhaps in your next holiday.

BC
Alexandra

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the last 24 minutes as of 12.26 am in Santiago (right now).
Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 12.25.57.png

It would need to be opt-in if we add usernames to the locations. I will have a look and see if I can find something.

An alternative would be for people to set their location in "Custom Title" here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/
(That shows up under the avatar (user photo).

All the best,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A lot of the regulars know where some members are from by now; with others,(newbies etc) its sometimes difficult to answer a question..not knowing where they live.
Most people will add it to their profile and it shows on the avatar., (Mine shows Sydney, Australia) but not everyone completes this.

It would be great to see on a map where they are though. Good idea.

Hi,

I would really like to know, which part of the world the members of this forum come from. It takes lots of times to search their profiles and many do not mention which country or area they are from.

I would really appreciate if there was an interactive map where forum members could mark where they live and where they could see who lives nearby. It is nice if you can see whom you could contact and meet easily or perhaps in your next holiday.

BC
Alexandra
Irishman living in Liverpool

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
View attachment 50587

It would need to be opt-in if we add usernames to the locations. I will have a look and see if I can find something.

An alternative would be for people to set their location in "Custom Title" here:

All the best,
Ivar

Ivar:

Maybe you could establish a voting chart like the one used for best time to walk.

eg: by Country/Continent - Australia, South America, EU, Asia, U.S., Canada, etc.

Last edited:
Peg and I live in the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts, USA. That's part of my signature but the signature doesn't show on mobiles.

While I'm at it, I'll mention here that on Saturday, March 23, 2019, 6:00 - 9:00 PM the Boston Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino will be holding a pot-luck dinner for veteran and future pilgrims with workshops on the various caminos, equipment, etc. See the details at: https://www.americanpilgrims.org/boston-massachusetts-chapter

Hi Rick, I just looked at all your info on your profile and everything is there on my mobile, which is the only devise I use.
Good morning Chris. Maybe I should have been clearer. On laptops and desktops the poster's signature appears automatically at the bottom of the post. On the mobile devices it doesn't (to save space.) There you have to dig the information out by visiting the poster's profile page.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am playing around with this map (I am not sure that I will keep this, please let me know what you think). I am mostly worried about privacy.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/dbtech-membermap/

[Added later: It does not seem to work in the Safari browser)

This show the location of the IP address your computer/device is connecting from. I show up in Vigo although I am in Santiago for example... so it is not extremely accurate, but "more or less"... and this is a good thing (privacy wise).

It only show a maximum of 100 users and only members with 5 posts or more.

As I said, I might remove this, but for not I will leave it up so that we can see if this is useful.

Please know that you can check the "opt-put" check box if you do not want to be included... or just click "no" when the browser asks you if you are ok with the forum knowing your location.

Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 15.40.32.png

What do we think?
Ivar

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I think such a map would really be helpful, especially if the members agree that their Forum names are connected to the entries.

By the way, I am from Daun. That is a small town (8.000 inhabitants) in the west of Germany, almost half-way between Cologne and Luxembourg and also only 50 km from Belgium.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

BC
Alexandra
Washington England

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

BC
Alexandra
Chilliwack, BC Canada

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am playing around with this map (I am not sure that I will keep this, please let me know what you think). I am mostly worried about privacy.
I am glad this is a concern. I don't reveal my location by default. If it is important to the context of a post, I make it clear, but otherwise I think it isn't relevant where someone comes from.

Those who know enough about me have probably worked it out, but I'm against sharing it as a matter of course.

If people do not post their full name on their forum profile, I don't see how anyone can "stalk" them so don't see what harm is there in identifying what country or even city they live in. I am not a techy person...am I missing something where privacy could be compromised?

My vague domicile is published under my avatar; West Sussex, England. That narrows me down to one of about 850,000 souls. There are clues in my posts from time to time - "little port", "beach", "Downs". But if anyone actually wants to know my address so they can claim a bed and a meal and an evening of Camino related ramblings: well, they can PM me.

View attachment 50587

All the best,
Ivar

Ivar:

The idea I presented is one that allows members to know where the majorities of members are from without involving privacy issues.

Again I think a simple vote chart like we have for month to start your Camino would meet that criteria.

e.g.: Australia, Canada, South America, Africa, Asia for the EU Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, UK, Ireland, Norway etc.

This would give a breakdown like the current starting month chart.

Ultreya,
Joe

Peg and I live in the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts, USA. That's part of my signature but the signature doesn't show on mobiles.

While I'm at it, I'll mention here that on Saturday, March 23, 2019, 6:00 - 9:00 PM the Boston Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino will be holding a pot-luck dinner for veteran and future pilgrims with workshops on the various caminos, equipment, etc. See the details at: https://www.americanpilgrims.org/boston-massachusetts-chapter
You are not far from my location! A little town on the Rhode Island coast named Matunuck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

This show the location of the IP address your computer/device is connecting from. I show up in Vigo although I am in Santiago for example... so it is not extremely accurate, but "more or less"... and this is a good thing (privacy wise).

As I said, I might remove this, but for not I will leave it up so that we can see if this is useful.

Please know that you can check the "opt-put" check box if you do not want to be included... or just click "no" when the browser asks you if you are ok with the forum knowing your location.

View attachment 50589

What do we think?
Ivar
I like it!, very much

If people do not post their full name on their forum profile, I don't see how anyone can "stalk" them so don't see what harm is there in identifying what country or even city they live in. I am not a techy person...am I missing something where privacy could be compromised?
This is not about the technology itself, but the idea that I might be required to provide more information than is the minimum strictly required for @ivar to provide this service.

Your question about harm is a good one to ask, but I suggest only after we have considered whether satisfying someones innate and apparently boundless curiosity has any real benefit at all. 'LIke to have' and 'nice to see' don't cut it for me as compelling arguments here. There are many things I might like to have - but very few to which I have a right, and information about an individual's location is clearly in the latter.

Hi,

BC
Alexandra
Sorring, Denmark

Doug, I've had the pleasure of meeting up with Laurie, @peregrina2000, last year because she reached out to me after noticing from my profile that I live only a few short hours away by car. I've also met @t2andreo because he lives near a relative I was going to be visiting.
Had there been no profile information given, none of us would have even thought of reaching out. These occasional encounters have definately been a benefit to me, innate as you may think I am.

I also think this rather generic location information can be helpful in establishing new APOC groups or similar, if there would be enough interest in a particular area where other camino addicts live.☺

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only time I am curious about a person's location is when someone posts pictures in the 'where did you walk locally' thread and gives, to me, not enough information of where the pictures were taken. However, as @OzAnnie said above, many regulars already have an idea of where other members are from, and can figure out the rest well enough. And there's the option of putting it on one's profile page.

I'm not sure what kind of map people are thinking of - I haven't paid that much attention - but the idea of a flag popping up on a world map identifying one's location every time one posts something quite unsettles me. What would members think when they know it is 3:30 a.m. in my part of the world and here I have just posted something during a time when 'normal' people would be sleeping, but when I can't sleep. Heaven forbid, can't a person get through a night without having to dip into the camino forum at some ungodly hour!!! o_Oo_O:p:p

But if anyone actually wants to know my address so they can claim a bed and a meal and an evening of Camino related ramblings: well, they can PM me.

I don't reveal my location by default.

I love this post!
I would enjoy an evening with Camino related ramblings with Tinkercat.
Dougfitz, I think I've figured out where you are from but I'm not going to tell!
I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark and if any of you guys are in Copenhagen, lets get together for a meal and a talk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If people do not post their full name on their forum profile, I don't see how anyone can "stalk" them so don't see what harm is there in identifying what country or even city they live in.
I guess it depends on the accuracy of the location information of the IP address. I don't mind the country or region. However, when I post photos taken near my home, I try to remember to remove the location info that can be very precise.
I suggest only after we have considered whether satisfying someones innate and apparently boundless curiosity has any real benefit at all.
Agree. I LOVE the map and the information it gives about everyone else, but I only want general information posted about my own location.
Had there been no profile information given, none of us would have even thought of reaching out. These occasional encounters have definately been a benefit to me, innate as you may think I am.
I agree. But those who want to do so can give their locations on their profiles and also communicate by PM.
“they” know where you are already
Yes, I believe that, and am not too worried about "them." However, I don't really want everyone on the forum to know too :D. I prefer to engage even local people on the forum first, and be selective about which ones I choose to contact later.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All perfectly healthy conspiracy theorists will know this already but actually guys “they” know where you are already 😜

We DO know now. The map clearly shows you swimming in the Thames in front of Parliament. Up to no good we see.........

(it actually does!?)

View attachment 50589

What do we think?
Ivar

Nice, please keep it!
Privacy?

Whilst it uses the IP address of the member, are members able to view the IP address?
That would be the only privacy issue wouldn't it?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess it depends on the accuracy of the location information of the IP address. I don't mind the country or region. However, when I post photos taken near my home, I try to remember to remove the location info that can be very precise.
A member posted a camino photo to the forum that looked familiar so I checked for GPS data buried in the Jpeg to see where it was taken. California. I PMed the member that his home address (GPS coordinates only but a pin was showing the location on a map) was being added to his photos. Turned out that his laptop's photos editing app was adding it.

€149,-

€149,-
Killington, VT, USA but travel a LOT for work.

I really like the map.

€149,-
Before my first Camino in 2016 this forum was my sole source of information, and I really wanted to talk to someone in person who had walked the Camino. I entered my hometown in the search feature and found another member that lives in my city. It was great to talk to her for reassurance and support. Since then, another member found me because I did disclose my location, and the three of us have formed an local APOC chapter in Southern Oregon to help other pilgrims on their way. And for anyone in Southern Oregon we are here for you!
I think that it's very helpful to know what country a member lives in when giving information about a number of things - SIM cards, banking, travel arrangements, where to buy gear, etc. We don't need to know what city you live in, but country is very helpful.

I’m near Anchorage, Alaska. Feel free to visit with me if you come up here! And my name is Irene.
I’m in law enforcement so if you do come to stalk me-I will take care of you :)

Last edited:
Hi,

BC
Alexandra
Santa Cruz, California

What would members think when they know it is 3:30 a.m. in my part of the world and here I have just posted something during a time when 'normal' people would be sleeping, but when I can't sleep. Heaven forbid, can't a person get through a night without having to dip into the camino forum at some ungodly hour!!! o_Oo_O:p:p

Ha ha. This had me laughing and thinking “Other people are as crazy as me?”
Yes, sometimes very late for me (early in the morning >>>>>> ) and I wonder the same thing .
A definite addiction -
Buen camino
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those worried re "security", I can say that the map located me 38 miles (61 km) from my true position. I have had the temerity to drag the pin to my precise location (which is in the countryside). Perhaps I am not as concerned as some about this topic having been "public property" as a general medical practitioner (aka family physician) in a small town for almost 40 years.

I like the map, Ivar, but I agree: it is a little creepy, because you can zoom in to a street address (which I tested and fortunately found it to be to be wrong by a lot).
What about the map that you posted above? (The one showing geo-located visits in real time - hopefully without member information attached.) That would serve a similar purpose, without privacy issues.

Last edited:
I like the map, Ivar, but I agree: it is a little creepy, because you can zoom in to a street address.
But what about the map that you posted above? (The one showing geo-located visits in real time - hopefully without member information attached.)
The positive with the map with usernames is that you can contact people close to you and meet for a coffee (in person)... or not. I am still not sure I will leave it up... just testing. Feedback is welcomed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don’t find it creepy. I don’t really care. I don’t expect bad stuff. however, maybe if even one person does, it should be turned off. Then, if individuals choose to divulge their location at the relevant section of personal details, well and good. i doubt i will look at this feature again. Maybe just to click the opt out button...
Done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t find it creepy. I don’t really care. I don’t expect bad stuff. however, maybe if even one person does, it should be turned off. Then, if individuals choose to divulge their location at the relevant section of personal details, well and good. i doubt i will look at this feature again. Maybe just to click the opt out button...
When asked if you would like to share your location with the forum and say “No”. You will never show up on the map...

Only the ones that say “Yes”show up

The positive with the map with usernames is that you can contact people close to you and meet for a coffee (in person)... or not. I am still not sure I will leave it up... just testing. Feedback is welcomed.
I think you should keep it: It is interesting, and as you and some say: You may find likeminded people close to you.

I'm not concerned about privacy disclosure because the location pin had put me right in the middle between my real location and our capitol (Ljubljana, Slovenia). The location pin obviously detect the closest/main knot for internet connections so I guess it just can't be street-wise accurate unless you have that knot exactly in your home. The only way I think the exact location might be disclosed would be allowing the map by @ivar detect it while using data coverage with your phone/tablet to access the forum/map.

I too think it's a great idea!

€149,-
the location pin had put me right in the middle between my real location and our capitol (Ljubljana, Slovenia).

How lucky you are, I love Slovenia! Definitely in my top 5 of favourite European countries. Beautiful and interesting. Oh and the food!!

I'm not concerned about privacy disclosure because the location pin had put me right in the middle between my real location and our capitol (Ljubljana, Slovenia). The location pin obviously detect the closest/main knot for internet connections so I guess it just can't be street-wise accurate unless you have that knot exactly in your home. The only way I think the exact location might be disclosed would be allowing the map by @ivar detect it while using data coverage with your phone/tablet to access the forum/map.

I too think it's a great idea!
The big thing is, as I discovered with @biarritzdon : He is not at home now, in other words, his place is free to take. But I think we worry too much: this is a closed forum.

As I said above, perhaps my professional life has made me more relaxed about this kind of thing .

"Patient to clerk : may I have an appointment with Dr X?

Clerk : sorry, no ; he is on holiday for 2 weeks"

So ,when everyone in town knew where I lived ,this gave an open invitation to any criminal element. We did have 2 instances of housebreaking (Scottish legal term for burglary) but these were random and on days when we were in town.

Most read last week in this forum

Am arriving St. Jean 31st March (Easter Sunday), and start walking April 1st. Any suggestions about how busy St. Jean is likely to be, and whether it's necessary to book a hostel?
Hallo everyone, first of all, thank you to you all for being so generous sharing your questions and experience. When I was not sure when my next camino would start reading about socks choice...
I know October is not a month with many pilgrims but will we have a calendar for checking in on this section of the forum?
Hi, I’m Jen. I live in the US in Vancouver, Washington which is part of the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. I am planning to walk the Camino Portugués. I will take the traditional central...
Hey everyone, I am Ali, going to do two weeks of camino the french way. I am based in Barcelona so I will start my journey by going to Pampolna on March 23rd and from there to Saint Jean Pied de...
I leave Richmond, VA, for SJPdP, arriving on Monday, 25 March. Many thanks to Ivar for creating this community forum and for all the contributions from so many pilgrims! The resources, insights...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.