• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where can I change to the Spanish Sim Card on CF?

Jagdev D.

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022
Hello Pilgrims, and Forum Members, I will be flying for my first solo CF from Toronto Canada, on April 24th and will be in SJPP on April 25th and 26th, April 27th at Aubergue Borda , and in Roncesvalles on April 28th, Zubiri April 29th ,Pamplona in the evening of April 30th and May 1st( for rest ) but May 1st , I believe is Spanish holiday and cell phone shops will be closed. Does any body can help for where to get the SIM card ? Can I get Spanish SIM card in SJPP? At 72 I have my usual concerns about walk on the Camino. I have reservations at the albergues . I have my two Pfizer shots plus booster in 2021.
Thanks a million in advance. Cheers to all. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A Spanish SIM can be purchased at any phone store in Spain. Keep in mind that SJPP is in France and it may be better to wait until Pamplona to purchase a card. You will likely not need it until Spain.
It is very simple to purchase and install.
You may want to google installing a SIM card in your phone to see the simple process in the event that it is not installed for you. It will not be a problem.

No doubt, several people will post here with recommendations of brands of Sims to consider and perhaps the locations of convenient stores in Pamplona.

Enjoy your adventure!

@Jagdev D. you’ve not said where you are entering Europe. Mobile phone companies in Europe tend to provide coverage without regard to the EC’s somewhat spongy borders. If you’re landing in France buy a sim at the airport it’ll cover you for Spain and save some sweat. If you’ve hacked out for a transatlantic flight a few €’s either which way over a two month trip ain’t either fish nor fowl

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think since May 1 is on a Sunday that May 2 will actually be a holiday as well. Do you have a smart phone? If so you can likely get wifi when you are at albergues or bars if you need to make contact with home. Our phones are also wifi calling enabled so we can make calls without a sim card if we have wifi. You may need to wait to Logrono or stay longer in Pamplona?

If you need to make a call in an emergency, you can also ask a fellow pilgrim for help. We've let others use our phone to make calls when needed.

If you’re waiting until you’re in Spain (there’s no need to - see @Tincatinker s post above) then Pamplona’s your first and best option. Spanish shops usually open 10-2 and 5-8; so you should be able to get fixed up on the Saturday evening.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A Spanish SIM can be purchased at any phone store in Spain. Keep in mind that SJPP is in France and it may be better to wait until Pamplona to purchase a card. You will likely not need it until Spain.
It is very simple to purchase and install.
You may want to google installing a SIM card in your phone to see the simple process in the event that it is not installed for you. It will not be a problem.

No doubt, several people will post here with recommendations of brands of Sims to consider and perhaps the locations of convenient stores in Pamplona.

Enjoy your adventure!
Thank you for your reply, Installing SIM card is not a problem , it is the LOCATION of a cell shop inside Spain from SJPP onward into Spain that Im interested in , where I can buy the card. Buen Camino.

@Jagdev D. you’ve not said where you are entering Europe. Mobile phone companies in Europe tend to provide coverage without regard to the EC’s somewhat spongy borders. If you’re landing in France buy a sim at the airport it’ll cover you for Spain and save some sweat. If you’ve hacked out for a transatlantic flight a few €’s either which way over a two month trip ain’t either fish nor fowl
@Tincatinker .. I will be flying into CDG, Paris (April 25th) and then on a flight to Biarritz. I will have only approximately 90 minutes between flights. Not sure if that is enough time to find the phone shop at CDG. Thanks for the suggestion.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think since May 1 is on a Sunday that May 2 will actually be a holiday as well. Do you have a smart phone? If so you can likely get wifi when you are at albergues or bars if you need to make contact with home. Our phones are also wifi calling enabled so we can make calls without a sim card if we have wifi. You may need to wait to Logrono or stay longer in Pamplona?

If you need to make a call in an emergency, you can also ask a fellow pilgrim for help. We've let others use our phone to make calls when needed.
Thank you for some good suggestions. J.. Yes I have iPhone11 .

Pamplona is the first place in Spain where you can buy a SIM card, and you would have choice of cell phone stores. But if they are all closed while you are there, you might need to wait, or search for cell phone stores in Puente La Reina or Estella.

If you keep your Canadian SIM card in your phone, keep it in airplane mode but turn on the wifi (they are separate settings), and you can use wifi wherever you find it in bars and lodging. If you have an emergency and really need it, then of course you can turn off airplane mode and just accept the rather high cost of the calls. But since you have your reservations already made, you won't need it for that purpose.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Joe bought one today at the Barcelona airport. We’ve also gotten them in Pamplona and Madrid and Sevilla. Any good sized town will have a phone store. We like Vodafone personally. It has worked well on all our various Caminos

Just curious...why are you wanting a Spanish SIM card? I was planning on getting mine when I land in Portugal (or on a prior trip to France) since it's the EU...(I used to have a German SIM and it worked all over Europe so wondering if I am missing something)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pamplona is the first place in Spain where you can buy a SIM card, and you would have choice of cell phone stores. But if they are all closed while you are there, you might need to wait, or search for cell phone stores in Puente La Reina or Estella.

If you keep your Canadian SIM card in your phone, keep it in airplane mode but turn on the wifi (they are separate settings), and you can use wifi wherever you find it in bars and lodging. If you have an emergency and really need it, then of course you can turn off airplane mode and just accept the rather high cost of the calls. But since you have your reservations already made, you won't need it for that purpose.
@C clearly .. thanks a whole bunch, for the suggestion to keep my Iphone on airplane mode and seek wifi and try to use it. Will try my best to deal with these concerns on the Camino as they come my way. Wishing all the very best In life.

Joe bought one today at the Barcelona airport. We’ve also gotten them in Pamplona and Madrid and Sevilla. Any good sized town will have a phone store. We like Vodafone personally. It has worked well on all our various Caminos
@Anniesantiago .. I wish I was going through Barcelona or another Spanish city, to SJPP , but Im flying on Air France from Toronto to CDG Paris and then on to Biarritz same day from CDG
( have only 90 minutes for flight change) ,
will enter Spain via Roncesvalles, and may 1st is a holiday in Spain, thought someone in the forum have address etc for the cell phone shop for the Spanish SIM card near the French/Spanish borderline from SJPP to Pamplona . I know, eventually I will get the Spanish sim card , but I was trying to get it after entering Spain ASAP. Thanks a whole bunch Annie,. Cheers !

I get it because it’s crazy affordable at around 26 Euros for much of what I need on a six week trip. I feel compared to my carrier’s plans at $10/day or $100/month for 250 minutes, the Spanish SIM is a steal.
Thanks, You are right about that Annie , and we pay even more than that here in Canada. Keep well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just curious...why are you wanting a Spanish SIM card? I was planning on getting mine when I land in Portugal (or on a prior trip to France) since it's the EU...(I used to have a German SIM and it worked all over Europe so wondering if I am missing something)
@melissay.. hello Ms Curious, it is good to have some means of communication when walking on the Camino with the outside world , just in case,
if one need help etc., of course any card , German or any other, is good as long as one can make a call without looking for wifi first In the middle of nowhere.
Not sure if you are missing something or not. But Im missing sim card that will work in Europe. Cheers !

I don't know about Spain, but in many countries you can pick up a SIM in the supermarket, as well as phone shops. So, if you find a supermarket open on Saturday evening it might be worth a try.

One of the three Vodafone shops listed in Pamplona is in an El Corte Inglés which is open without a break 10am to 10pm.

Whilst I can certainly see ECE being closed on public and local holidays, I see no reason why it would not be open on a ‘not a holiday’. (That’s a triple negative and appalling grammar. It’ll be open,)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
April 30th and May 1st( for rest ) but May 1st , I believe is Spanish holiday and cell phone shops will be closed
Just checked, 1st May (Labour Day) is NOT a public holiday in Navarra. Nor is the 2nd.

Hello Pilgrims, and Forum Members, I will be flying for my first solo CF from Toronto Canada, on April 24th and will be in SJPP on April 25th and 26th, April 27th at Aubergue Borda , and in Roncesvalles on April 28th, Zubiri April 29th ,Pamplona in the evening of April 30th and May 1st( for rest ) but May 1st , I believe is Spanish holiday and cell phone shops will be closed. Does any body can help for where to get the SIM card ? Can I get Spanish SIM card in SJPP? At 72 I have my usual concerns about walk on the Camino. I have reservations at the albergues . I have my two Pfizer shots plus booster in 2021.

if one is landing in France and wants a sim -- then going on to other parts of europe - here's an option

if you get a Free Mobile sim - and you go with the E19.99 a month option - free will work for you in any country in Europe that I know of --

your monthly data allowance will drop from 210 Gb in France to 25 Gb in any other country - but, as you cross the border - it knows and you'll get a text to tell you where you are

25 Gb may be enough for some to live on for a month - but, the BIG advantage is that you cross fuss free - you are still connected - you can still map, phone, email, text etc etc - gives you plenty of time to make another choice if you wish.

You can buy Free Mobile sims from vending machines -- they will ask for a French address - so, make one up if you don't have one

there's two tricks -------

1. don't fuss with the system once you have that sim - don't go and change the address or similar - because then, they'll want to send you a letter - just leave it alone and it will work fine
(any address will do - a lock, a business, a house, any establishment - as long as Free can recognise the address - it will spit you out a sim)

2. remember to turn on data roaming - your phone will probably be defaulted to off - you need it on when you cross that border - or - - no worka

you'll need to run translate to read this - -but, you're going to need translate anyway unless you are able to read french and spanish (and, probably english)

Foreign tourists occasionally discover a technical issue with their new SIM card in their phones brought from home - often a minor thing to do with settings such as outgoing mail server or similar -, and they are more likely to get practical help in a shop when they had bought the SIM card in the country where they discover this and from a provider who is commercially present in that country. If you merely spend an hour or a day in France and discover an issue two or five days later which is what posters have occasionally described ... I think that is the main reason, and that the OP would be well advised to buy the card in Spain as she intends to do, for example in Pamplona. These considerations have nothing to do with roaming and roaming costs in the EU.

Last edited:
I found the Orange store in Pamplona very helpful. The sales person mis-configured the settings. Fortunately, I found that the 'mobile data's did not work before I left town and returned ghd next day to have it all corrected.

Moral if story...check all functions (Phone, WiFi and Mobile Data) independently before leaving the store.

Does any body can help for where to get the SIM card ?
1. Formerly there where guys on the internet who resold prepaid Spanish SIM cards, so one can get it in advance by mail. Used this service once, before roaming charges in Europe were lifted. Worked well. Just google for this.
2. Nowadays if your phone is equipped with eSIM, there is no need for physical card. If I got it right, then one can buy a subscription online, scan the QR code delivered, and use it when in Spain. Again, just google for it.

Just checked, 1st May (Labour Day) is NOT a public holiday in Navarra. Nor is the 2nd.

May 1st is not a holiday but it is a Sunday. So most businesses will be closed, anyway.

As someone mentioned, El Corte Inglés opens till 10pm... and it will be open April 30.

May 2nd is not a holiday either, at least not nationwide. So, unless there is a local holiday, everything should be open as usual.

Here are all the Vodafone shops in Navarra: https://tiendas.vodafone.es/tiendas/navarra
The Orange shops in Navarra: https://www.orange.es/tiendas/navarra
The Movistar shops in Navarra: https://tiendas.movistar.es/navarra

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know about Spain, but in many countries you can pick up a SIM in the supermarket, as well as phone shops. So, if you find a supermarket open on Saturday evening it might be worth a try.
Thank you Molly, I will try the card at the markets, but my experience is that I change the SIM card in Spain ( Torremolions /Malaga) in phone shops or the authorized dealers. Those shops and dealers needs your passport so that the telephone company (system) knows who is the SIM card/cell phone registered /belongs to etc. This is my first Camino but I go to Costa del Sol ( Torremolinos) area in winter about two months, (for three years, 2018/2019 / 2020)
Cheers !

May 1st is not a holiday but it is a Sunday. So most businesses will be closed, anyway.

As someone mentioned, El Corte Inglés opens till 10pm... and it will be open April 30.

May 2nd is not a holiday either, at least not nationwide. So, unless there is a local holiday, everything should be open as usual.

Here are all the Vodafone shops in Navarra: https://tiendas.vodafone.es/tiendas/navarra
Hello!!! I’ll be walking those same days!!! You can get SIM cards with pay as you go at €10 increments on Amazon in the US that cover all of Europe and you can even put it in your phone today. I recently looked at at least a dozen of these plans and chose to go with Vodaphone, a major carrier in Europe.

Hello!!! I’ll be walking those same days!!! You can get SIM cards on Amazon here with pay as you go at €10 increments you can put on your US debit card that cover ALL of Europe and you can even put it in your phone today and start using that number. I’ve done this for a previous Camino with Vodaphone and it was cost effective and easy and coverage on the CF was almost 100%. And the cost was way less than I’m used to paying in the US.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While waiting to get a SIM card - you can also download the WhatsApp which is used by many pilgrims on the Camino. It is an easy way to make wifi calls/texts while connected to wifi. Won't help while you area walking - but is great when you are in albergues, bars, restaurants that have wifi available to customers.

Also - I don't know the answer to this question - but maybe someone else does. In the US, you can find SIM cards for "pay as you go" in all sorts of stores - not just phone stores. Is there a place in SJPDP that sells them? Even the food store or the pilgrim hiking equipment store? Seems like that would be a great selling item for them to offer since so many pilgrims start in SJPDP.

I also saw them on Amazon for the EU - but they are for 1 month. I considered buying that way - but I will be gone 2 months and don't know how easy it is to extend the SIM card with online payments.

I decided to skip the fuss - and instead added an international package to my existing cell service.

Same here, it is new for me. I was a pay as you custome with T-Mobile for a decade plus. I recently joined the rest of the world with a monthly plan which includes international services and my new iPhone which has an eSim. Make sure you are unlocked before you travel. Orange was my go to service when I was living there for years and gave me service in France, Spain, Portugal and Italia. It is a pain to find their shops outside of major cities but there was one in Corte Ingles in Pamplona for ages. Q

Thank you 🙏🏻 so much Maria .
Cheers !
Buen Camino .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is for
While waiting to get a SIM card - you can also download the WhatsApp which is used by many pilgrims on the Camino. It is an easy way to make wifi calls/texts while connected to wifi. Won't help while you area walking - but is great when you are in albergues, bars, restaurants that have wifi available to customers.

Also - I don't know the answer to this question - but maybe someone else does. In the US, you can find SIM cards for "pay as you go" in all sorts of stores - not just phone stores. Is there a place in SJPDP that sells them? Even the food store or the pilgrim hiking equipment store? Seems like that would be a great selling item for them to offer since so many pilgrims start in SJPDP.

I also saw them on Amazon for the EU - but they are for 1 month. I considered buying that way - but I will be gone 2 months and don't know how easy it is to extend the SIM card with online payments.

I decided to skip the fuss - and instead added an international package to my existing cell service.
The initial period of time is 30 days but you can easily extend it each month by adding 5-10-20 Euros and you get a new month. You can go indefinitely month to month this way. With Vodaphone any amount you have left is carried into the next month

It is for

The initial period of time is 30 days but you can easily extend it each month by adding 5-10-20 Euros and you get a new month. You can go indefinitely month to month this way. With Vodaphone any amount you have left is carried into the next month
Have you (or maybe anyone else on the forum?) tried your Sim Card yet from Amazon? My experience was also that by law you had to show a passport to get the Sim Card and activation.

Foreign tourists occasionally discover a technical issue with their new SIM card in their phones brought from home - often a minor thing to do with settings such as outgoing mail server or similar -, and they are more likely to get practical help in a shop when they had bought the SIM card in the country where they discover this and from a provider who is commercially present in that country. If you merely spend an hour or a day in France and discover an issue two or five days later which is what posters have occasionally described ... I think that is the main reason, and that the OP would be well advised to buy the card in Spain as she intends to do, for example in Pamplona. These considerations have nothing to do with roaming and roaming costs in the EU.
Thank you for all that info. Cheers !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Jagdev, I traveled in September 2021 / El Camino Norte) from Santander and I had real trouble getting SIM Card. As a matter of fact, I was walking for 2 weeks without it. The best place to get the Card is the airport I think -- at least this is what I intend to do this year. Oh, and if you keep your Canadian SIM in your phone, don't forget to turn off your phone service -- I've learnt my lesson when by accident the streaming was on!

Last edited:
Have you (or maybe anyone else on the forum?) tried your Sim Card yet from Amazon? My experience was also that by law you had to show a passport to get the Sim Card and activation.
I was just reading reviews of some EU SIM cards on Amazon - at least one reviewer did mention that they had to upload a digital image of their passport or other photo identification before the SIM can be registered - but stated it was something s/he had not be required to do with other travel SIMs. So - my take is - sometimes you must?

Totally agree with coverage provided throughout EU. I live in Greece and have a sim that can be used in the entire EU. If you buy in France, inform the place that you purchase the sim, that it needs to be active in Spain too. Otherwise it may not work.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Jagdev, I traveled in September 2021 / El Camino Norte) from Santander and I had real trouble getting SIM Card. As a matter of fact, I was walking for 2 weeks without it. The best place to get the Card is the airport I think -- at least this is what I intend to do this year. Oh, and if you keep your Canadian SIM in your phone, don't forget to turn off your phone service -- I've learnt my lesson when by accident the streaming was on!
@DanaMadison thank you so much, Im not going through any Spanish airport , only walking through SJPP to Roncesvalles. Now I know that May 1st is not national holiday and El Corte Engles will be open April 30/May 1st and will try to get the card there. Keep well, Cheers !

I was just reading reviews of some EU SIM cards on Amazon - at least one reviewer did mention that they had to upload a digital image of their passport or other photo identification before the SIM can be registered - but stated it was something s/he had not be required to do with other travel SIMs. So - my take is - sometimes you must?
Whenever I have purchased a sim in EU (Greece) I have had to provide my passport.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Similar issue in Bilbao during the Rugby World Cup a few years ago, everything was closed and it wasn't until I got to Laredo that I found an Orange shop. Then the clerk scammed me with a story that "the credit card reader is broken this morning story" and said she could only accept cash. I learned later in the day that I had a new Simcard with zero minutes on my phone. It is wise to check if everything is working before you walk out the door!!!

Whenever I have purchased a sim in EU (Greece) I have had to provide my passport.
Every year I go to Torremolinos ( Malaga) in winter , I need my passport to get the Spanish SIM card In my Canadian issue iPhone . All I was looking for the card was address /location near Roncesvalles,Zubiri,or Pamplona. El Corte Engles is open on the weekend and will see if I can find the store and then the card. Thank you so much . Cheers !

Similar issue in Bilbao during the Rugby World Cup a few years ago, everything was closed and it wasn't until I got to Laredo that I found an Orange shop. Then the clerk scammed me with a story that "the credit card reader is broken this morning story" and said she could only accept cash. I learned later in the day that I had a new Simcard with zero minutes on my phone. It is wise to check if everything is working before you walk out the door!!!
Thank you Don.. Cheers !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used a Vodaphone sim card I purchased on Amazon 2 years ago in Spain and all over Europe. It comes loaded for the first month and after that you load more onto it by an automated phone system using your debit card OR you can purchase more GB at convenience stores. You pay them, they give you a receipt, you put the code in and you’re good for another month

Last edited:
I used a Vodaphone sim card I purchased on Amazon 2 years ago in Spain and all over Europe. It comes loaded for the first month and after that you load more onto it by an automated phone system using your debit card OR you can purchase more GB at convenience stores. You pay them, they give you a receipt, you put the code in and you’re good for another month
Can you go months without paying and then re-activate the card with a payment? In other words, would it be suitable for using on the Camino and then letting it lapse until the next year?

Can you go months without paying and then re-activate the card with a payment? In other words, would it be suitable for using on the Camino and then letting it lapse until the next year?
I think so.

I’m looking at the paperwork here and it looks like you choose one of the bundles for €10 €15 €20 €30 or €40 per month. It automatically renews for the next month So it looks like after you cancel you start all over with a new Sim card. This is at least the way it seems that Vodafone does it

@C clearly .. thanks a whole bunch, for the suggestion to keep my Iphone on airplane mode and seek wifi and try to use it. Will try my best to deal with these concerns on the Camino as they come my way. Wishing all the very best In life.
That suggestion of keeping phone on airplane mode is great, hence avoiding costly surprises when you get home. My friend Spanish Ray is returning to Spain after many years in Australia. He recommended I get WhatsAp so we can communicate after he gets back home. Wifi is all you need for that and sound quality is supposed to be excellent. On my next Camino, I may use that method, it seems WhatsAp is widely used in all of Europe.

He recommended I get WhatsAp so we can communicate after he gets back home. Wifi is all you need for that and sound quality is supposed to be excellent. On my next Camino, I may use that method, it seems WhatsAp is widely used in all of Europe.
WhatsApp is VERY popular amongst pilgrims. You can even do a group chat with everyone, and decide where to eat dinner or if you want to stay in the same albergues etc. Sound quality if fine - I couldn't tell the difference between a WhatsApp call and a regular call.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Given that the OP has an iPhone 11 that permits use of an esim, it may be worthwhile considering something like FlexiRoam. It is a data only service but is very well priced and includes a facility that permits calls to any phone (and cleverly showing the call as coming from your normal number) in addition to WhatsApp, of course.

It avoids all the stress and drama of purchasing and installing a local SIM.

I am about to try it for the first time on an upcoming short holiday in Bali.

Given that the OP has an iPhone 11 that permits use of an esim, it may be worthwhile considering something like FlexiRoam. It is a data only service but is very well priced and includes a facility that permits calls to any phone (and cleverly showing the call as coming from your normal number) in addition to WhatsApp, of course.

It avoids all the stress and drama of purchasing and installing a local SIM.

I am about to try it for the first time on an upcoming short holiday in Bali.
Is an esim ok for an Android phone?

Good point. I’ve purchased SIM cards in the larger supermarkets in Mallorca, Spain.

Good evening,

Hope I can help you with my advice.

When you roam using your cell phone with a Spanish provider with a foreign SIM card, you will gain access to place unlimited emergency calls (060 is your first choice in the Camino, or 112 for police/medical throughout Spain). If you still want to place int'l calls it might not be dearer than using an EU SIM card. For domestic calls the cost will be unbearable. Your Canadian operator can specify you the actual rates.

In case you want to place domestic calls regularly, then you will need any European SIM card, as roaming inside the EU is at no extra cost. This means you would get the same service and cost when you get either a French or Spanish SIM, and both in France and Spain (or everywhere around the EU). You will get unlimited service at the same rate in both countries.

Therefore, you could go on with your Canadian operator roaming rates in France and/or in Spain until you either:
- Buy a French card in Biarritz or St. Jean ASAP,
- wait until May, 3rd and to buy it somewhere between Pamplona and Logroño. Yes—as someone told you already—, May 1st. is Labor Day and all malls and shops around Pamplona shall be closed; then as it will be Sunday, the holiday will be moved on to Monday, when most shops and malls will be closed either.

I guess you will buy a prepaid card, so try to ensure you will be able to refill it either from your phone or ATMs along the way.

Have a very good Camino!

Is an esim ok for an Android phone?
This is a list of phones that will work with eSIMs from the FlexiRoam website.

iOS
– iPhone XR
– iPhone XS, XS Max, XS Max Global
– iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max
– iPhone SE 2020
– iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max
– iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max
– iPad Pro 12.9‑inch (3rd, 4th generation)
– iPad Pro 11‑inch (1st, 2nd generation)
– iPad Air (3rd, 4th generation)
– iPad (7th, 8th generation)
– iPad mini (5th generation)
Android
– Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 5, Pixel 5a, Pixel 6 Pro
– Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, S21, S21+ 5G, and S21 Ultra 5G(Single SIM Nano-SIM and/or eSIM models)
– Samsung Galaxy Fold LTE (SM-F900F model), Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G
– Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
– Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Note 20 Ultra 5g
– Huawei P40, P40 Pro, P50 Pro, Mate 40 Pro
– Motorola Razr 2019
– Oppo Find X3 Pro
– Oppo Reno 5A, Reno6 Pro 5G

Exceptions: The following devices are not supported
  • Carrier locked phones
  • Apple watches
  • iPhone XR, XS and 11 models purchased in Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China
  • iPhone with 2 physical SIM cards slots
  • Pixel devices purchased in Australia
  • Devices on Android Q Beta versions

I hope that helps.

@melissay.. hello Ms Curious, it is good to have some means of communication when walking on the Camino with the outside world , just in case,
if one need help etc., of course any card , German or any other, is good as long as one can make a call without looking for wifi first In the middle of nowhere.
Not sure if you are missing something or not. But Im missing sim card that will work in Europe. Cheers !
Just to clarify--I meant my curious question kindly. 🙂 Am also interested in having communication but avoiding a large bill from my US provider-- I was planning to get a SIM when I arrived at my first destination: Portugal (as I did when I lived in Europe). I was trying to clarify if there was a reason I should consider as to why you were waiting further in the trip...
And this answers this question. Super helpful Kathar1na. Thanks for this.

Good evening,

Hope I can help you with my advice.

When you roam using your cell phone with a Spanish provider with a foreign SIM card, you will gain access to place unlimited emergency calls (060 is your first choice in the Camino, or 112 for police/medical throughout Spain). If you still want to place int'l calls it might not be dearer than using an EU SIM card. For domestic calls the cost will be unbearable. Your Canadian operator can specify you the actual rates.

In case you want to place domestic calls regularly, then you will need any European SIM card, as roaming inside the EU is at no extra cost. This means you would get the same service and cost when you get either a French or Spanish SIM, and both in France and Spain (or everywhere around the EU). You will get unlimited service at the same rate in both countries.

Therefore, you could go on with your Canadian operator roaming rates in France and/or in Spain until you either:
- Buy a French card in Biarritz or St. Jean ASAP,
- wait until May, 3rd and to buy it somewhere between Pamplona and Logroño. Yes—as someone told you already—, May 1st. is Labor Day and all malls and shops around Pamplona shall be closed; then as it will be Sunday, the holiday will be moved on to Monday, when most shops and malls will be closed either.

I guess you will buy a prepaid card, so try to ensure you will be able to refill it either from your phone or ATMs along the way.

Have a very good Camino!
@juandemor …. Thank you for the good advice, I start to believe that at the Camino things will work out. Cheers !

Hello Jagdev, I am currently in Pamplona on Good Friday and I was unluck enough to lose my phone to a very heavy rain in the Pyrenees. While many stores here are closed for the holiday there are still a few that are open. A gentleman at TechnoGallery on Calle Estafeta was able to help me replace my phone and said they were open everyday. When you arrive in Pamplona you will be able to find a store to buy a SIM card even on a holiday.
Been Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
May 1st is Labor Day and all malls and shops around Pamplona shall be closed; then as it will be Sunday, the holiday will be moved on to Monday, when most shops and malls will be closed either.
Just as an aside: Pamplona is in Navarra and this does not happen in Navarra in 2022 when the 1st of May falls on a Sunday. Monday 2 May is a normal weekday in Pamplona and in Navarra.

Hello Jagdev, I am currently in Pamplona on Good Friday and I was unluck enough to lose my phone to a very heavy rain in the Pyrenees. While many stores here are closed for the holiday there are still a few that are open. A gentleman at TechnoGallery on Calle Estafeta was able to help me replace my phone and said they were open everyday. When you arrive in Pamplona you will be able to find a store to buy a SIM card even on a holiday.
Been Camino
@TayMac , I’m sorry for you losing the cell phone in Pyrenees , hope the Camino provide you some solutions etc,. Thank you so much telling me about Techno Gallery on Calle Estafata in Pamplona. I have reservation for two nights ( extra day for rest) in Pamplona at Aloha Hostel ( April 30th/May 1st) and Calle Estafeta is pretty close to my Hostel. ( Google map) Wish I was starting the camino 10 days earlier, for being in the company of another Ontarian.. lol .. Cheers from Mississauga, keep well, Buen Camino.

@TayMac , I’m sorry for you losing the cell phone in Pyrenees , hope the Camino provide you some solutions etc,. Thank you so much telling me about Techno Gallery on Calle Estafata in Pamplona. I have reservation for two nights ( extra day for rest) in Pamplona at Aloha Hostel ( April 30th/May 1st) and Calle Estafeta is pretty close to my Hostel. ( Google map) Wish I was starting the camino 10 days earlier, for being in the company of another Ontarian.. lol .. Cheers from Mississauga, keep well, Buen Camino.
You will have no problem finding plenty of friends on the Camino from Canada and beyond! My only advice is make sure your rain gear is good!!!!

€60,-
You will have no problem finding plenty of friends on the Camino from Canada and beyond! My only advice is make sure your rain gear is good!!!!
Tay, .. I think most , ok, may be 99% pilgrims are walking with good intentions, and yes , you meet so may other on the Camino, but , I , still wish have someone to walk with, who have your back and you have theirs ,just in case. Keep well, enjoy your Camino TayMac,.

I bought a SIM card from UK provider 3 via Amazon.ca prior to my Nov trip to France and Germany and my daughter did same for her trip through Greece Italy Spain and Portugal.

I think was 30 CAD and got it all set up easily before departing Canada.

30gb and huge amount of minutes. My daughter bought 3 of them as they are good for 30 days but they can also be topped up.

It’s nice to have one less thing to do.

Also you can buy and install an eSim prior to departing and keep access to Cdn voice line and text etc - if needed - these are available online from a variety of companies.

Last edited:
I bought an Orange Sim card through Amazon delivered to my home before I left Canada. Registered it when I received it, then when I arrived in France popped it into my phone. No problems and after 2 weeks topped if off ( I was in Burgos by then).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought an Orange Sim card through Amazon delivered to my home before I left Canada. Registered it when I received it, then when I arrived in France popped it into my phone. No problems and after 2 weeks topped if off ( I was in Burgos by then).
Ok, the reports/reviews on Amazon in the US are not as positive.

@dreymorris, I have 5 working days plus two days of weekend , before I leave for my first Camino, on April 25th, not sure if I order from Amazon now , that I will get it on time. Why I did not put the question about SIM card in the forum about a month ago ? My gratitude for the suggestion, Keep Well, Cheers !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
See you in Roncesvalles.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.