• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do I start??

cinderslg

This is all new to me but after watching 'the way' i feel compelled to do a camino.
But as the title says I dont know where to start planning. Im thinking of doing around 100km so about a week I quess, is there any particular starting poing you would suggest, and could you suggest the nearest airport to fly into, and travel time from there to starting point. If I could make a decision on a route I could then find a walking partner(s) and really start putting a plan in place.
Thanks for any info.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello and welcome! Sarria along the Camino Frances, Tui along the Camino Portugues or Ferrol along the Camino Ingles are all possible starting points to earn a compostela. Where are you coming from? Do you have a time frame of when? What's your hiking experience? You will find answers to your questions in the forum. .. people here are very helpful. Buen camino!

You may want to focus your research on the Sarria to Santiago portion. You can fly into Santiago, take a bus from the airport to Lugo, and transfer to a bus to Sarria.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi thanks for your replies, i will look into your suggestions. I will be flying from northern ireland, and thinking about august or september '14 or the following spring. I have no hiking experience and im not much of a walker but time to get some training in.

Hi Cindersig,

If you haven´t much hiking experience as you say , your best bet is the CF , starting at Sarria. It´s the most used.

Buen Camino!

I always wonder why getting a compostela plays into this decision. Why not just a good week on the Camino?

Start someplace easy to reach like Pamplona and see how far you get. Or consider a week with a centerpiece where you do a short hike into perhaps Burgos and spend time recuperating while seeing some glorious architecture and a rather lovely city center.

Unless you have a particular devotion to Saint James or doubt you'll ever return, why start with the final stages? To get a trophy suitable for framing?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Cindersig

I´ve just read a post here on the forum it´s titled "Pilgrim Report From New Zealand" post by falcon269.

Click on it. It might just answer a few of the questions you have.

Buen Camino!

Rule of thumb: 20Km / 13mi x available walking days (without rest days) = Starting Point
One week is a bit short to truly "arrive" on the Camino, so if you have any leeway vacation / holidays wise, more days would be better.
As for the rest, use the search function here and feel free to come back to us with any further questions you might have.

SY

PS No need to look for a walking partner beforehand, unless you walk in January (and even then!) there are always plenty of other pilgrims on the way ...

I always wonder why getting a compostela plays into this decision. Why not just a good week on the Camino?

Start someplace easy to reach like Pamplona and see how far you get. Or consider a week with a centerpiece where you do a short hike into perhaps Burgos and spend time recuperating while seeing some glorious architecture and a rather lovely city center.

Unless you have a particular devotion to Saint James or doubt you'll ever return, why start with the final stages? To get a trophy suitable for framing?

Who talked about a "compostela"?
The Camino Frances may be a better option for a first timer and to start at Sarra is a good way of discovering if the Camino is something for you or not. If it is ,you can always "start" somewhere else , further back on this Camino or on another one. But remember the Camino always starts at your doorstep.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm going in a week and decided to start in San Jean Pied de Port.. was not concerned with making it to Santiago as I only have 2 weeks this time. Advantage would be direct flight from Dublin to Biarritz and transfer from there to San Jean seems easy (taxi or train). I hear the first stage is hard so some people prefer to start further along but Im dying to see some of the Pyrennes!
Buen Camino
Robert

Hi Robertc

Wish you lots of luck on your Camino.The first few stages of the Camino you have picked are awesome. I do hope you enjoy it and will come back another time to carry on from where you leave it.:)

Buen Camino!

Thanks!
Just a question. Since I'm not in a mad rush to get anywhere particularly fast would you a) recommend to overnight in Orisson and soak up more of the beautiful first stage/ease myself in, or b) press on to Roncevalles which maybe is as nice? Thanks for any and all advice on this from people who may have taken either option
Buen camino
Robert

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks!
Just a question. Since I'm not in a mad rush to get anywhere particularly fast would you a) recommend to overnight in Orisson and soak up more of the beautiful first stage/ease myself in, or b) press on to Roncevalles which maybe is as nice? Thanks for any and all advice on this from people who may have taken either option
Buen camino
Robert

I would stay in Orisson the first night and walk the next day to Roncesvalles and stay there, but that is just my personal preference. Buen Camino!, SY

Hi good luck with the planning and enjoy it!
My dad is out there atm he has a blog set up which he is updating everyday if you want to get an idea what its like and see how he's doing it! I'm heading out next week for 10 days looking forward to it now!!
http://jacktrek790.blogspot.ie/

Thanks Ronan and SY
Will definitely be checking out the blog as i have a lot of doubts yet about conditions and kit i should bring (dont want to pack the kitchen sink!)
Buen camino
Robert

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Ronan and SY
... and kit i should bring (dont want to pack the kitchen sink!)

Very wise, just post your packing list here and we are all happy to give feedback ;-) SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back