• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where Do You Recommend To Get Engaged Along The Trail?

chirodaize

Hi there,

I am a first-time walker on the trail and would really like some feedback about where to propose to someone for marriage along the trail. Are there any especially beautiful spots or have you heard of any stories of very special engagements?

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How sweet! and a good question.

After a difficult section better than before? Don't want to fall out on your first day of being engaged :lol:

Hhmm .. depends where you are starting I think, and if you want a 'religious' built sacred space or an inspiring 'natural' space.
If you start at St Jean then there is a point where you have crossed the hardest part and look out across Spain to wall after wall of lower mountains and you can see the long journey ahead of you. Symbolically this could be a good place, starting out on your life journey together ...

Or, there is the beautiful beautiful church - Eunate - before Puenta la Reina (day 4), which is not only a deeply sacred space but has the benefit of being off the main route so can be quite quiet ..

Or, you could complete the Camino without saying anything and then go on to Finisterre, stand at the world's end, looking out at the sun setting and ask that the next journey is with them, for life.

I met a Texan couple one year who had done the Camino Frances together to see how they would get on in an extreme situation. They went home, got married, then came back for a honeymoon Camino - they were a delight.

Whatever you decide, have an open and vulnerable heart - and good luck.

I too would suggest somewhere near the end of the Camino as you will no doubt have many ups and downs on the way. Personally if the weather is good somewhere pretty in the valley between Villafranca and O'Cebreiro would be lovely, if the weather is not so good after a romantic dinner in the San Marcos in Leon or Reyes Catolicos in Santiago or similar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Definitely at the end. Have seen enough spats between couple during the walk.

Not in SDC but finisterre is a nice place (a fishing resort at the end of the terra).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your suggestions are fantastic! I thank you so much! And, yes, I do have the perfect someone (unless I find someone even better along the way of the trail, ha).

I am sold on the idea of doing this in finisterre. Now that I have that settled do you have any special places there?---possibly more private?

Have to laugh that this is in the section of "frequently asked"!!! This has to be the first time I've seen a request like this! Lovely ideas suggested, and I see all from men!! Who says guys aren't romantic!! Well done guys!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The men are getting credit where it may not be due, but thank you anyway!

If you strike good weather when you reach the top of O'Cebreiro- the views are magnificent- how could anyone refuse a proposal with such a stunning vista?
Margaret

Beware of proposing too early. I met a Brazilian lady walking with her boyfriend, and was separated from them on the second half of the Camino Frances. When I met up with her in SDC without her boyfriend I asked her where is he? The answer: "I nailed him at Cruz de Ferro!!!". Ouch!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
These posts were written in 2011 - I wonder if the proposal was made, and accepted?
Suzanne ;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope he didn't wait until Finisterre. There shouldn't have been "conditions" set on such a venture. You walk together from the beginning. I would have done it at Orisson or perhaps a little further up the "hill"!

If you strike good weather when you reach the top of O'Cebreiro- the views are magnificent- how could anyone refuse a proposal with such a stunning vista?
Margaret[/QUOT
If it's nor raining!

Hi there,

I am a first-time walker on the trail and would really like some feedback about where to propose to someone for marriage along the trail. Are there any especially beautiful spots or have you heard of any stories of very special engagements?

Thanks!
Santiago or Finesterre, if you can get there when its not too touristy, very moving and beautiful

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santiago or Finesterre, if you can get there when its not too touristy, very moving and beautiful
A friend of mine was taken on the rooftop tour of the cathedral by her boyfriend. Halfway through, to her astonishment, and the delight of the other members of the tour, he dropped to one knee and proposed. They are now happily maried, with a darling little boy.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Walk your Camino together and if you're still "together" at the end, propose in front of the cathedral in Santiago. You cannot find a better test!

Finisterra definitely! Although if you were on the Norte Camino I'd say on the summit of Mont Jezkibel - 360 degree views, the Pyrenees, the sea and a mountain and spring sacred to the Basque people - My husband and I both agreed it was the loveliest place ever on Camino... (but we are an old married couple - so perhaps we are easily pleased...)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back