• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to spend first night?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I've booked my flight to Biarritz, and will arrive at 8:20 pm. I don't know if I should book a hotel in Irun, Biarritz, or Bayonne. My plan is to take my suitcase with my post Camino clothing (I'll be going to London and New York before I return home) to the post office in the morning and mail it to Ivar. Then I'd like to start walking that day, but just a short day possibly to Pasajes de San Juan??
So, what transportation options will I have from Biarritz to Irun around 9:30 at night? If I do stay in Biarritz or Bayonne can I get an early train to Irun the next day?
I arrive on a Tuesday, and would like to get to San Sebastian on Thursday to avoid the weekend crowds as much as possible. I'll also be recovering from 4 flights over 21 hours from the west coast of the US, so I'd like to keep my first couple of days pretty short. Or maybe I should spend two nights in Irun to rest up, then walk to San Sebastian in one day.
I'm open to any suggestions!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hondarribia's preferable to stay in - a good pension is Txoko Goixa or something like that. This town is dripping with atmosphere and a wonderful place to stay. No detour. Avoid Irún for the night.

I loved San Sabastian and spent two nights (a half day on arrival and the following day/night). I stayed at Pension Grosen thru booking.com and found it quiet and clean with a private bath. I loved the beautiful walk through the park to the fort at the top of the hill overlooking the city and beaches...fantastic. Oh and the food was outstanding!
Screenshot_2018-05-01-18-08-55.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hondarribia's preferable to stay in - a good pension is Txoko Goixa or something like that. This town is dripping with atmosphere and a wonderful place to stay. No detour. Avoid Irún for the night.
Is it right on the Camino? I looked online and it looks like there is a post office there. Can I get there easily from the airport in Biarritz?

Walking from Irún, Hondarrabia's right behind the medieval wall, before you turn left to walk uphill to the beautiful church on the top. You'll have to go to Irún first though. Hondarrabia's about 4 or 5 km after Irún. You might take the small ferry from Hendaye to the harbour in Hondarrbia and leave Irún out. Check the time schedule though. There is a bus to Hendaye from just outside the airport, too. Or you may take the train as well. The Santiago bridge'S connecting Hendaye to Irún. Anyway, congratulstions on having chose this camino. It's beautiful with a lot of alternative routes. You might wanna check out Camino Lebaniego - and Camino Primitivo's defintely to prefer to the 2nd half of del Norte. Buen Camino.

Bayonne is a great and beautiful town, that is a short cab ride from Biarritz. You have to take the train from there to get to SJPP as well.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Walking from Irún, Hondarrabia's right behind the medieval wall, before you turn left to walk uphill to the beautiful church on the top. You'll have to go to Irún first though. Hondarrabia's about 4 or 5 km after Irún. You might take the small ferry from Hendaye to the harbour in Hondarrbia and leave Irún out. Check the time schedule though. There is a bus to Hendaye from just outside the airport, too. Or you may take the train as well. The Santiago bridge'S connecting Hendaye to Irún. Anyway, congratulstions on having chose this camino. It's beautiful with a lot of alternative routes. You might wanna check out Camino Lebaniego - and Camino Primitivo's defintely to prefer to the 2nd half of del Norte. Buen Camino.
So, if I stay in Hondarrbia I will have to walk to Irun to get on the Camino?
I contacted the pensión that you mentioned, and they have a minimum two night requirement during the summer.
My concern about transportation is that my plane doesn't land until 20:20, and I know that I'll be pretty tired after traveling for over 21 hours!

A 20h20 arrival in Biarritz is an issue depending on what day it is: (i.e. weekday v. weekend, strike day v. no stirke that day.) If your plan is to walk the Norte, then maybe stay the night in Biarritz (le Petit Hotel) Take a train or bus to SS the next morning. The bus service is Transport64, the 816 bus, they resumed normal service 1 May and pick up at the airport and about block from the train station. I agree with other post about Irun being a bit skectchy, I'd opt for Hendaye if you can't get to SS that evening, then stay there for a day to unwind. The tapas in SS is the best in the world.
BTW, post your bag to Ivar from Spain, not France.

A 20h20 arrival in Biarritz is an issue depending on what day it is: (i.e. weekday v. weekend, strike day v. no stirke that day.) If your plan is to walk the Norte, then maybe stay the night in Biarritz (le Petit Hotel) Take a train or bus to SS the next morning. The bus service is Transport64, the 816 bus, they resumed normal service 1 May and pick up at the airport and about block from the train station. I agree with other post about Irun being a bit skectchy, I'd opt for Hendaye if you can't get to SS that evening, then stay there for a day to unwind. The tapas in SS is the best in the world.
BTW, post your bag to Ivar from Spain, not France.
So, you suggest skipping the walk from Irun to San Sebastian? I was thinking that might be a good idea. I will be arriving 3 July, so I think that the strike will be over then?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How does this plan sound. Arrive Tuesday, 3 July - spend the night in Biarritz. Train or bus to San Sebastian the next day, take care of mailing luggage to Ivar, explore the city, etc. Maybe stay a second night in SS? I'd like the opportunity to spend some time there.

So, you suggest skipping the walk from Irun to San Sebastian? I was thinking that might be a good idea. I will be arriving 3 July, so I think that the strike will be over then?
I am starting the Norte from Laredo on 13 May after attending the European Rugby Cup in Bilbao over the weekend. I am not suggesting starting in San Sebastian but from what I've read about the early stages of the Norte involve lots of climbing. I have driven the road from Biarrtiz to San Sebastian and Bilbao numerous times and it looks like crossing one fjord after another. The walk out of San Sebastian is one very long paved hill climb. San Sebastian has become my favorite town in Pays Basque. If I were to move from Biarritz that is where I would go.
According to Rome2rio there are buses from BAB airport to San Sebastian Station that would get you there in an hour. Biarritz is a great place to spend a few days as well, the bars around the marche have quite a vive, but you willl be there at the peak of the tourist season. In SS I found the albergue Room in the City a fine place to stay. This June I am staying at Pension Anorga because Room in the City was completo.

How does this plan sound. Arrive Tuesday, 3 July - spend the night in Biarritz. Train or bus to San Sebastian the next day, take care of mailing luggage to Ivar, explore the city, etc. Maybe stay a second night in SS? I'd like the opportunity to spend some time there.
Or like I said in my post, bus straight to SS and deal with the jet lag there, but make sure you have a place to stay whether it is Biarritz or SS, both are very popular beach destinations in the summer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Or like I said in my post, bus straight to SS and deal with the jet lag there, but make sure you have a place to stay whether it is Biarritz or SS, both are very popular beach destinations in the summer.
I assume I'll be arriving too late to get a bus to SS. I have made a bunch of cancellable reservations in Biarritz, Irun and San Sebastián.

If I was there I would try to help you out but my apartment is rented until 2020.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've booked my flight to Biarritz, and will arrive at 8:20 pm. I don't know if I should book a hotel in Irun, Biarritz, or Bayonne. My plan is to take my suitcase with my post Camino clothing (I'll be going to London and New York before I return home) to the post office in the morning and mail it to Ivar. Then I'd like to start walking that day, but just a short day possibly to Pasajes de San Juan??
So, what transportation options will I have from Biarritz to Irun around 9:30 at night? If I do stay in Biarritz or Bayonne can I get an early train to Irun the next day?
I arrive on a Tuesday, and would like to get to San Sebastian on Thursday to avoid the weekend crowds as much as possible. I'll also be recovering from 4 flights over 21 hours from the west coast of the US, so I'd like to keep my first couple of days pretty short. Or maybe I should spend two nights in Irun to rest up, then walk to San Sebastian in one day.

No perfect solution but (not to be horrible) Irun is a bit of a shit hole. Not many redeeming features at all. One idea could be to move on to San Sebastián and then take the early coastal train back to Irun first thing in the morning. They are cheap and start early. You could then leave your pack in your San Sebastián hotel and walk lightly your first day. It’s a long beautiful walk but no food or drink stops. Pack accordingly in your day pack. Just a thought.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's my current plan - Stay in hotel in Biarritz upon arrival. Next day train or bus to Irun, mail my suitcase and walk to Pasaia, where I've booked an Airbnb. Since I know that I don't have to worry about a getting a bed in the Albergue I will be able to take my time and enjoy the walk.

Pasajes De San Juan is a beautiful little town about 14 km from Irun It has a beautiful little Albergue in an old church on a hill above the town. I think it only has 12 beds, but it was such a beautiful place to stay after our first night in Irun. The advice we would give to anyone walking the Camino is to take your time and soak in your surroundings. Your body will thank you, especially in the early days until you w alk yourself fit!

Pasajes De San Juan is a beautiful little town about 14 km from Irun It has a beautiful little Albergue in an old church on a hill above the town. I think it only has 12 beds, but it was such a beautiful place to stay after our first night in Irun. The advice we would give to anyone walking the Camino is to take your time and soak in your surroundings. Your body will thank you, especially in the early days until you w alk yourself fit!

I would love to stay in the albergue with other pilgrims, but don't want to be stressed and worried about getting a bed. According to Gronze they have 14 beds. Last year I rushed my walk from Dumbria to Muxia because it there was a festival the day I was there, and everything was booked and I wanted to make sure that I got a bed in the Xunta albergue. I especially want to take my time this year at the beginning of my journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bayonne is a great and beautiful town, that is a short cab ride from Biarritz. You have to take the train from there to get to SJPP as well.

Fully agree!!! I had a wonderful experience in Bayonne: I visited the city (lovely city center!) and stayed overnight in Mrs. Aguirre's house. She's really kind and lovely! The house was very clean and calm. I paid 20 Eur for a night with breakfast and could sleep very well!. Mrs Aguirre gave me a credential for 2 Eur, as I did not have it. She also gave me a list of albergues and helped with other issues. A perfect way to start the camino!! Her address: 4 impasse du Gayon, maison La Gayonnette, 64100 Bayonne aguirresal@aguirre.fr Tel. +33 683147068. She also mentioned the following Facebook page: AlbergueAguirreBayonne.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back