• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which Albergue did Tom stay at??

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Another "The Way" question: after leaving Roncesvalles Tom stops at an Albergue (apparently owned by an American) - from the DVD I have the impression that it's about half a day from Pamplona. The name was not included in the DVD nor in the review that accompanies the DVD. So does anyone know (1) where it is; & (2) what it's call.
Gracias.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another "The Way" question: after leaving Roncesvalles Tom stops at an Albergue (apparently owned by an American) - from the DVD I have the impression that it's about half a day from Pamplona. The name was not included in the DVD nor in the review that accompanies the DVD. So does anyone know (1) where it is; & (2) what it's call.
Gracias.
@Saint Mike II unfortunately that's one of the more fictional aspects of the movie! The "albergue" episode was filmed at the lovely Hotel Akerreta, about 1km beyond Larrasoaña. Their website is here: http://www.hotelakerreta.com/. Very nice place, and owned by a lovely couple (Spanish, but I think she is part American). They told us that Martin Sheen liked it so much he brought his whole family back to stay last year. Not an albergue though.

Last edited:
@Saint Mike II unfortunately that's one of the more fictional aspects of the movie! The "albergue" episode was filmed at the lovely Hotel Akerreta, about 1km beyond Larrasoaña. Their website is here: http://www.hotelakerreta.com/. Very nice place, and owned by a lovely couple (Spanish, but I think she is part American). They told us that Martin Sheen liked it so much he brought his whole family back to stay last year. Not an albergue though.
Thank you, I had an idea that this might be the case as none of the albergues on that section came anywhere close to the description etc. Still it might be worth a look - see on the way through. Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I believe that quite a bit of the movie was not actually filmed on the Camino itself.
Location scouts find a suitable spot and film making magic occurs.

Hi GettingThere - thanks for the information and the link to Hotel Akerreta. Their gallery photos are gorgeous ... hmmm ... now I know why no interior scenes were shot there! As you say, not an albergue! So lovely though!
Cheers - Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe that quite a bit of the movie was not actually filmed on the Camino itself.
Sorry Mark - whilst I am not a "The Way" tragic a careful study of both the movie and the "extra" part that accompanies the DVD box and where a section is not "specifically on the Camino" they (Martin/Emilio/David (Alexanian)) tell you an approximate location; the bridge/backpack falling is not on the Camino - its about 10-15 km North of Pamplona - (its a river that has been damned) and the scene where "Tom" gets arrested is near Horo (about 10-15 km north of Logrono) although the seen in the police station is in the main police station of Logrono. Also in another interview Martin & Emilio estimated that the characters walk around 300 km of the 770/800 km of the Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What are you going to shout me the E77 (pilgrim discount) rate!!!???
That's actually a bargain. At least by US standards. Good hotels and B&B's are so expensive here. That place would probably run at least $150 US a night. For around $77 US a night, all you would get is a room at a crack motel, complete with cockroaches.
The first time I walked the Camino I arrived in SJPdP late at night, with no reservations. I went to the first place that was open, the Central Hotel. I was so jet-lagged and tired after taking the train from Paris, I didn't care what the room rate was. When the madam that runs the place almost hesitatingly said the room was 60 euros, I grinned and happily paid, because I figured it would have been more. No way would one be able to get off so cheaply staying in a 300 year old boutique hotel in the US for that amount a night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry Mark - whilst I am not a "The Way" tragic a careful study of both the movie and the "extra" part that accompanies the DVD box and where a section is not "specifically on the Camino" they (Martin/Emilio/David (Alexanian)) tell you an approximate location; the bridge/backpack falling is not on the Camino - its about 10-15 km North of Pamplona - (its a river that has been damned) and the scene where "Tom" gets arrested is near Horo (about 10-15 km north of Logrono) although the seen in the police station is in the main police station of Logrono. Also in another interview Martin & Emilio estimated that the characters walk around 300 km of the 770/800 km of the Camino.
Mike - I hope that the river you speak of has been "dammed", not "damned" ! Though, if that river HAS been damned, I'd love to hear the story! ;)

Of course. Imagine closing the official Camino route every half an hour for taking each shot ;) And the pilgrims waiting at the road block? Ahahaha.
OK, seriously, speaking as the film director by profession, that would cost whole a lot of money if possible at all with local authorities. And just to add, there's no problem about jumping on and back on the actual Camino in order to tell the story. But also understand all the questions by pilgrims that already walked the path ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mike - I hope that the river you speak of has been "dammed", not "damned" ! Though, if that river HAS been damned, I'd love to hear the story! ;)
Blame the predictive text for typo - or at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
If Martin (Tom) had known what his son had organised in terms of the river level/water speed then maybe there would have been some "damning" of his off-spring!!!

Last edited:
That's actually a bargain. At least by US standards. Good hotels and B&B's are so expensive here. That place would probably run at least $150 US a night. For around $77 US a night, all you would get is a room at a crack motel, complete with cockroaches.
No that price is 77 Euros ($86 US) - the prices are about 5 Euros in off-peak times and 10 higher in peak season. As for price comparisons between Spain and the US - well maybe it has something to do with wage rates; providing a service etc. Jet - lag - yes know all about that coming from Oz, however next Nth Spring (April) I will have a 14 hour lay-0ver in Dubai with a free hotel room so maybe I will feel OK when I reach Paris. Cheers

Of course. Imagine closing the official Camino route every half an hour for taking each shot ;) And the pilgrims waiting at the road block? Ahahaha.
As a further aside - Emilio advised in that discussion - they actually asked anyone who was "in shot" if they minded being filmed, those that did where not filmed, others were happy to oblige - as in the shot as Tom leaves his hotel in St Jean and turns (to his left) - the wrong way. All the pilgrims walking uphill had just alighted from the evening train - so whilst we are lead to believe its morning its actually being filmed almost on dark (in late Sept or early Oct 2009). Where they had a major dialogue scene they waited until the true pilgrims were out of shot range. The filming was basically "in sequence"- travelling East to West (apart from the scene where the albergue at Orison is edited in - after Roncesvalles. Apparently this error was only picked-up after final editing and as the film budget was very tight it was left in.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No that price is 77 Euros ($86 US) - the prices are about 5 Euros in off-peak times and 10 higher in peak season. As for price comparisons between Spain and the US - well maybe it has something to do with wage rates; providing a service etc. Jet - lag - yes know all about that coming from Oz, however next Nth Spring (April) I will have a 14 hour lay-0ver in Dubai with a free hotel room so maybe I will feel OK when I reach Paris. Cheers
Yes, I am aware of the small difference in US dollars and euros due to exchange rates, but even at $86.00 US it's still a bargain by our standards.
Also I have stayed in Dubai several times when working overseas. A night at a decent hotel there that is priced under $100.00 US is a bargain as well.

What are you going to shout me the E77 (pilgrim discount) rate!!!???

Stay there Mike,
Try and get a private bedroom ***** 6m x 6m in Sydney for **double that price.
The home is magnificent , the splendid sitting room a place to meditate and relax....you will go to sleep in the chairs..
We stayed there and if required the owner will drive you to a magnificent restaurant on the main road just outside of Larrasoana.
That was a beautiful meal and he picked us up when called ......late:D
Lovely couple who will help in any way.
The chairs in beer garden are one metre from the camino path.

Are you listening Mike..............Stay there , an easy walk into Pamplona if you follow his advice , and skimp and save later on.
When you get home you will appreciate the setting you were in.
or
Stay in Larrasoana:eek: [ That will get a comment]

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stay there Mike,
Try and get a private bedroom ***** 6m x 6m in Sydney for **double that price.
Are you listening Mike..............Stay there , an easy walk into Pamplona if you follow his advice , and skimp and save later on.
When you get home you will appreciate the setting you were in. or
Stay in Larrasoana:eek: [ That will get a comment]
OK Thornley - I am listening, I get the message, will start saving the dollars/Euros. Cheers

We would not think of flying to Europe without a stopover, it's just too hard on the body. If flying via Dubai a stop over cost just the price of the hotel if you stay near the airport as there are free hotel buses that will pick you up and drop you back to the airport. The best $125 to $150 of your total cost.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We would not think of flying to Europe without a stopover, it's just too hard on the body. If flying via Dubai a stop over cost just the price of the hotel if you stay near the airport as there are free hotel buses that will pick you up and drop you back to the airport. The best $125 to $150 of your total cost.
Thanks for the tip, but having been through Dubai about 20 (or more) times in the past 11 years its a place I know fairly well. Hotel is taken care off - its part of my ticket class perk!! (Also includes transfers to and from the airport).

Perhaps worth mentioning: Hotel Akerreta has a restaurant of its own, exclusively for guests. When we stayed there, they had a choice of two or three items for each course and we were asked to let them know beforehand (late afternoon) what we wanted to have.
Yes, we had a lovely meal there too, with beautiful local produce including veg from their garden.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hotel Akerreta has a restaurant of its own

Agree Katharine ,
When we stayed we had commenced three weeks prior from Moissac in France , avoided France on Bastille Day and then had to slow up and not enter Pamplona until the festival was over......no rooms .
Jose' and Juli with their children had their days on this weekend in Pamplona and asked if we would mind using the rester. on the road.
The reward was Julie " finding " a hotel room for us on the last day , wonderful atmosphere, mainly families and children .
Crowded but a great time.
They are a lovely couple.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back