• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which route for a short Camino trip (up to 2 weeks) in November

Crourke

Time of past OR future Camino
I’ve been trying to find time to walk a first Camino (any) but struggled for time due to life commitments. I think I’ll have about 10 days maybe 2 weeks at start of November. Early planning now so I am trying to decide which route – any advice from peregrinos? I have read other posts about the trails in November (worse weather, some albergues closed, fewer people) so expectations are set and the options I am considering are:
  1. Camino Frances – start in SJPDP and get 10-12 days into it(maybe Villafranca) and then get to Bilbao or somewhere to go home. Will do the rest in other trips
  2. Camino Frances – start from Sarria or maybe further back and get to Santiago – do the 1st part (or maybe whole thing) later in the future. I know from there there are more places to stay etc
  3. Camino Portugues – from Porto to Santiago – It seems that’s about 12-14 days, then home from there. If so - which route coastal or interior best in early November? .
Others like Primitivo or Norte seem poor choices for November.
Anyone have any advice on these options or more specifically things to do / bring / expect this time of year for these routes?

Muchas Gracias!
Chris

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My first question- do you want to reach Santiago this time?
Second question- would you be content to section walk the CF? Or if you thought you would get the time to walk the entire CF in the near future would it change your thinking?
Third question- would you find it odd to do end of the CF and then go back to its beginning? (I did this the first time I walked Leon to SdeC and then went back and did a week at a time from SJPdP and I have a very thrilled photo on blue pedestrian bridge coming into Leon finishing my camino, and I have no regrets on this)
Fourth question - is your heart set on the CF? For lots of people this is "THE" camino and do it first is important.

Personally, I either take option 1 from SJPdP or 3 the CP from Porto- but this is your decision.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know how fast you will walk, but perhaps start in Leon or Astorga and walk to Santiago? Some albergues will be closing in the winter, but once you get into Galicia at O'Cebrero you will find all the Xunta (or state owned albergues) will be open along the way without question. It also won't be as crowded. There is an active link that is updated regularly starting Nov 1 that let's you know what albergues will be open in addition to those and if you need to call ahead, etc. It is really quite nice to arrive in Santiago...

I'm walking the Inglés from Ferrol to SdC and the from SdC to Fisterra soon. That would give you two short Caminos of roughly five days each. You can easily decide to only do one of them if the weather is unkind to you.

Last edited:
Camino Frances – start in SJPDP and get 10-12 days into it(maybe Villafranca) and then get to Bilbao or somewhere to go home. Will do the rest in other trips
HI Chris, How exciting for you. Lots of options, but I'd recommend this one., especially as you mention the intention of completing the Camino later. Being from the UK, that opportunity could come up before you know it!

The Camino Frances is a wonderful path especially for a first Camino - just my opinion. There have been recent reports on the forum of people walking in November and later - and very happy with their choice.

Another reason to choose the Frances is that from early November, on most routes some some albergues and other accommodation may have closed (some, for example, at end of October). I think that presents less of an issue on the Camino Frances as there are a lot of albergues and other options.

At that time of year, you'll need to take the Valcarlos route from SJPP as the Napoleon route is usually 'closed' from 1 November, if not before, due to weather. You can walk all the way to Roncesvalles or stop in Valcarlos. I've walked both routes and the Valcarlos is definitely not a 'poor cousin'. I'd just suggest taking care of the route map, as some people end up walking a great deal of the path on the roadside, but that isn't necessary.

Whatever route you decide, buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI Chris, How exciting for you. Lots of options, but I'd recommend this one., especially as you mention the intention of completing the Camino later. Being from the UK, that opportunity could come up before you know it!

The Camino Frances is a wonderful path especially for a first Camino - just my opinion. There have been recent reports on the forum of people walking in November and later - and very happy with their choice.

Another reason to choose the Frances is that from early November, on most routes some some albergues and other accommodation may have closed (some, for example, at end of October). I think that presents less of an issue on the Camino Frances as there are a lot of albergues and other options.

At that time of year, you'll need to take the Valcarlos route from SJPP as the Napoleon route is usually 'closed' from 1 November, if not before, due to weather. You can walk all the way to Roncesvalles or stop in Valcarlos. I've walked both routes and the Valcarlos is definitely not a 'poor cousin'. I'd just suggest taking care of the route map, as some people end up walking a great deal of the path on the roadside, but that isn't necessary.

Whatever route you decide, buen camino.
Thanks - great to hear from such experienced trekkers! Thinkink its setting in my head now as best option as you say, more hostels etc, enough people, just need right clothes. Start walking CF , see how far I get in the time I have , get home from MAdrid or Bilbao, and return later. The CP sounds good too but my gut is saying CF so I will go with that & Low route in Pyrenees as suggested. Thanks for helping decide and buen camino

I don't know how fast you will walk, but perhaps start in Leon or Astorga and walk to Santiago? Some albergues will be closing in the winter, but once you get into Galicia at O'Cebrero you will find all the Xunta (or state owned albergues) will be open along the way without question. It also won't be as crowded. There is an active link that is updated regularly starting Nov 1 that let's you know what albergues will be open in addition to those and if you need to call ahead, etc. It is really quite nice to arrive in Santiago...
thanks - sounds good but for some reason I like to start at the start and might feel weird starting midway and getting to SdC. I think I'm setting on ' CF from the start and see how far I get' rough approach. But thanks a lot for your advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first question- do you want to reach Santiago this time?
Second question- would you be content to section walk the CF? Or if you thought you would get the time to walk the entire CF in the near future would it change your thinking?
Third question- would you find it odd to do end of the CF and then go back to its beginning? (I did this the first time I walked Leon to SdeC and then went back and did a week at a time from SJPdP and I have a very thrilled photo on blue pedestrian bridge coming into Leon finishing my camino, and I have no regrets on this)
Fourth question - is your heart set on the CF? For lots of people this is "THE" camino and do it first is important.

Personally, I either take option 1 from SJPdP or 3 the CP from Porto- but this is your decision.
Thanks a lot - think I will go Option 1 . I'd rather start at the start. And I do think CF would be good for 1st camino, thought CP sounds good too but will do later. Think I'm decided now so Thanks!

thanks - sounds good but for some reason I like to start at the start and might feel weird starting midway and getting to SdC. I think I'm setting on ' CF from the start and see how far I get' rough approach. But thanks a lot for your advice!
Just a note, the start is where you start and not a specific town.. St Jean is a common starting place for many, but so is Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria. It is arbitrary where you begin and frankly it is easier to get to Pamplona or one of the other cities than a tiny town in France.

Just a note, the start is where you start and not a specific town.. St Jean is a common starting place for many, but so is Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Sarria. It is arbitrary where you begin and frankly it is easier to get to Pamplona or one of the other cities than a tiny town in France.
true - I'll need to consider that since I will be in Barcelona just before (I'm tagging this onto a family hol there in Oct) . Will be easier to get to say Pamplona than SJPDP. will consider that and try not to be bothered by the 'starting line' concept!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @Crourke

I've sent you a private message, with some info that may be useful - rather than 'clog up' your thread. For private message, you'll see an alert on the envelope icon at top right of navigation bar.

Hello I also had limited time & did the last 100 from Sarria in June (took 10 days because of health issues). No regrets at all starting at the “end”! It was a great way to do a first Camino & so many accommodation options, I’d be less concerned in winter. I am looking forward to doing the whole 800k in 6 stages, due to time constraints. I was in Spain in Sept/Oct but got sick again & came home (just recovered). I have 2 weeks left before starting a new job Nov 20 & would love to do another segment (Leon to Burgos!) but not feeling up to it, sadly. Anyway next spring I will start at SJPP, & IMHO it was lovely coming into SdC. Great town & so festive & that cake! ❤️ Going to make some today.

Hello I also had limited time & did the last 100 from Sarria in June (took 10 days because of health issues). No regrets at all starting at the “end”! It was a great way to do a first Camino & so many accommodation options, I’d be less concerned in winter. I am looking forward to doing the whole 800k in 6 stages, due to time constraints. I was in Spain in Sept/Oct but got sick again & came home (just recovered). I have 2 weeks left before starting a new job Nov 20 & would love to do another segment (Leon to Burgos!) but not feeling up to it, sadly. Anyway next spring I will start at SJPP, & IMHO it was lovely coming into SdC. Great town & so festive & that cake! ❤️ Going to make some today.
Hi - thanks for your message. I am just back from walking a week to Logrono and glad i got that as a taster, there are some things I would change in terms of gear / packing but not much and it was a great experience even if for a week Sounds like you need to do it in bits like me. Good luck with your doing that - buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back