• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solo trip in 2 weeks?!

shortwander

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Without divulging my life, I'm having a really bad time and decided last night I want to walk the camino as it's something I have been talking about for years. However, due to my partners deployments and I think it's better for me to do it sooner rather than later, I am looking to start around the 20th of April for 2 weeks. I have a few questions which I'd really appreciate some help on!

1. Am I mental to start in a few short weeks? I am at a relatively good fitness level (although I know it will be hard!) it makes me nervous that I won't be doing much training leading up to it. I think I will be looking to do about 15km a day (give or take).
2. Would you recommend the Porto to Santiago on the Camino Portugues or from Leon to Santiago on the Camino Frances route? The Camino Portugues is shorter but I know the Camino Frances is more traditional.
3. My partner is a very experienced hiker, but this will be the first trip I will be doing by myself. I am planning to sit down and put together a rough plan before I go - would you recommend booking the first few nights? I was going to book all to ease my anxiety but looks like most people suggest against it.

Thank you so much in advance for your response! Even if you can answer a short part of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Buen Camino!

1. Nope, not mental in any way at all - getting up in the middle of the night and booking to go next day is not wildly uncommon. You can 'train' on Camino by starting with short days and building up - ignore the 'day stages' in the guide books and stop when and where you want.
2. Camino Frances (now renamed Camino de Santiago) as this is the most popular route with the best infrastructure and lots of other pilgrims from all over the world.
3. Rough plan? Decide where you will start and go there ... if you will be arriving late then book your first night.
After that? No more planning!!!!!!! Each morning put pack on, step out of door, walk, follow the arrows, stop when tired. If you start booking your night stops you will be fixing yourself into a timetable - not good.
3.b - anxiety is normal for a newbie, you are doing something brand new and the chattering brain is terrified and wants certainty so wants a fixed plan - forget that - just go, all is well - no fixed plans. Within two days all will seem completely normal and you will be fine.

Where to start is down to you but if you may be going back in the future then start somewhere very early along the Camino - even St Jean, so that when you end and go home you can return to that end place and pick up where you left off.

p.s. re pre-Camino anxiety, that desire for certainty, it is a joy destroyer and also can lead to packing lots of 'safety' 'just in case' items which makes your pack heavy. Spain has shops - wear one-pack one - is all you need.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi, Buen Camino!

1. Nope, not mental in any way at all - getting up in the middle of the night and booking to go next day is not wildly uncommon. You can 'train' on Camino by starting with short days and building up - ignore the 'day stages' in the guide books and stop when and where you want.
2. Camino Frances (now renamed Camino de Santiago) as this is the most popular route with the best infrastructure and lots of other pilgrims from all over the world.
3. Rough plan? Decide where you will start and go there ... if you will be arriving late then book your first night.
After that? No more planning!!!!!!! Each morning put pack on, step out of door, walk, follow the arrows, stop when tired. If you start booking your night stops you will be fixing yourself into a timetable - not good.
3.b - anxiety is normal for a newbie, you are doing something brand new and the chattering brain is terrified and wants certainty so wants a fixed plan - forget that - just go, all is well - no fixed plans. Within two days all will seem completely normal and you will be fine.

Where to start is down to you but if you may be going back in the future then start somewhere very early along the Camino - even St Jean, so that when you end and go home you can return to that end place and pick up where you left off.

p.s. re anxiety, the desire for certainty, it is a joy destroyer and also can lead to packing lots of 'safety' 'just in case' items which makes your pack heavy. Spain has shops - wear one-pack one - is all you need.

Buen Camino!
Good advice, Life throws up moments when we reflect and hope it gets better. This year has hit me hard.but don't take on to much. Enjoy your time and a big pat on the back for managing what has troubled you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My 2 cents:
1. Do not be afraid. Avoid blister with double socks and/or anti-chafing cream. Camino will provide.
2. León to Santiago is very nice (Astorga, Ponferrada, Melide...). I do not know the Portuguese yet but I am sure it is nice too. However, for a first time, Francés should be more convenient.
3. If booking ease your anxiety, book ! When I walk alone I prefer not to book (for being free, more "lâcher-prise"...) but it is not mandatory.
I consider the only obligation on the Camino is to feel good enough to be open-minded, help the others, walk with them, laugh with them, pray with them if you want...
Buen Camino !

Without divulging my life, I'm having a really bad time and decided last night I want to walk the camino as it's something I have been talking about for years. However, due to my partners deployments and I think it's better for me to do it sooner rather than later, I am looking to start around the 20th of April for 2 weeks. I have a few questions which I'd really appreciate some help on!

1. Am I mental to start in a few short weeks? I am at a relatively good fitness level (although I know it will be hard!) it makes me nervous that I won't be doing much training leading up to it. I think I will be looking to do about 15km a day (give or take).
2. Would you recommend the Porto to Santiago on the Camino Portugues or from Leon to Santiago on the Camino Frances route? The Camino Portugues is shorter but I know the Camino Frances is more traditional.
3. My partner is a very experienced hiker, but this will be the first trip I will be doing by myself. I am planning to sit down and put together a rough plan before I go - would you recommend booking the first few nights? I was going to book all to ease my anxiety but looks like most people suggest against it.

Thank you so much in advance for your response! Even if you can answer a short part of it, it would be greatly appreciated.
I did a portion of the Portuguese coastal to Santiago at the end of February. It was also short notice, was my first solo trip, and my first multi-day hike. I wouldn’t give you advice without knowing you, but will say that I personally pre booked all of my rooms and that made me more comfortable and confident about the trip. I think it also made my husband more comfortable with me going alone. It also probably resulted in me pushing myself physically and mentally (especially with a few very rainy days). That challenge was good for me, but maybe not others.
My average was about 20 km per day. I trained by walking about 15 km for 7 days in a row, then took about a week off before going to Portugal. I was also mostly alone, which was good for me and I think made the experience very personal. There may be more people in April when you start, so you may have company on the trail if that is what you want.
The Camino has a lot to offer — hope you have a good time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am looking to start around the 20th of April for 2 weeks.

I think I will be looking to do about 15km a day (

Would you recommend the Porto to Santiago on the Camino Portugues or from Leon to Santiago on the Camino Frances route?
Based on these bits if information, if you decide on the Camino Francés You will need to start closer to Santiago than León if you want to reach Santiago in two weeks. León to Santiago is about 312 km, which would take 21 days at 15 km/day.

With your time frame I would start at Ponferrada, which is about 213 km from Santiago.

The distance from Porto to Santiago in the Central route is 240 km, so that would be an average of 17+ km/day to finish in two weeks.

3. My partner is a very experienced hiker, but this will be the first trip I will be doing by myself.
You got plenty of answers on the rest. I would like to add that my first camino was also an experience for me to get my orientation in nature for the first time. Usually I rely on my partner. Well, no worries there. In CF start with your shadow in front of you and keep going west. There are plenty of arrows. It's not like meandering in the Alps. and for the short-term decision I think it is a brillant idea!!

In my experience, when the Camino calls, it is best to answer by going.

It is not mental to do this.

I travelled from the other side of the world, from Aotearoa New Zealand five weeks after the Camino called me and I knew almost nothing before I started walking except where I was starting, where I would finish and that, broadly, I would be walking westward.

Your Camino will unfold as you walk and you will learn what you need to know along the way ♥️🚶🥝

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

1. As I'm sure many will say, you are not mental. Plenty of people have successfully walked with less prep and training.

2. I'm not sure if 15km/day is what you are counting on for your training or what you are expecting to walk on your Camino. If you are looking at 2 weeks of 15 km/day, that adds up to about 200km, give or take. Leon is just over 300km from Santiago. If you want to walk that sort of distance, with that time frame on the Frances, I would look at starting in Ponferrada or Villafranca del Bierzo. (Coincidentally, Villafranca del Bierzo is where I will be starting on my upcoming Camino with my daughter.) Similarly, if you are looking at the Camino Portugues at 15km/day, I'd look at starting in Barcelos. That will still give you the opportunity to stay at Casa da Fernanda :) near the start of your Camino, much as the options I mentioned on the Frances will give you the opportunity to stay at Casa Susi :) .

On the other hand, if you were talking about 15km/day as training distances and are ready to walk a little longer, that would enable a start further away. Personally, for a first Camino with two weeks to spend, I'm more likely to start in Astorga than in Leon on the Frances. But I like a bit of a cushion more than a bit of a stretch for a first Camino. On the Portugues, however, you could quite comfortably start in Porto.

The Frances is more traditional, to be sure. But there is a lot of documented history behind the Portugues, as well, and less of the feeling of starting in the middle (if you start in Porto). Both options have plenty of infrastructure to support a first-time pilgrim, enabling you the flexibility to adapt as your Camino unfolds.

3. I would advise booking the the first night or two but not everything in advance (see above about the flexibility to adapt as your Camino unfolds). If you find yourself getting anxious and want a bit more certainty about where you are heading to each day to ease your anxiety, you can always book a day or two in advance as you walk.

I hope this helps. Buen Camino! Try and worry less. Things on a Camino have a way of working out.

1. As I'm sure many will say, you are not mental. Plenty of people have successfully walked with less prep and training.

2. I'm not sure if 15km/day is what you are counting on for your training or what you are expecting to walk on your Camino. If you are looking at 2 weeks of 15 km/day, that adds up to about 200km, give or take. Leon is just over 300km from Santiago. If you want to walk that sort of distance, with that time frame on the Frances, I would look at starting in Ponferrada or Villafranca del Bierzo. (Coincidentally, Villafranca del Bierzo is where I will be starting on my upcoming Camino with my daughter.) Similarly, if you are looking at the Camino Portugues at 15km/day, I'd look at starting in Barcelos. That will still give you the opportunity to stay at Casa da Fernanda :) near the start of your Camino, much as the options I mentioned on the Frances will give you the opportunity to stay at Casa Susi :) .

On the other hand, if you were talking about 15km/day as training distances and are ready to walk a little longer, that would enable a start further away. Personally, for a first Camino with two weeks to spend, I'm more likely to start in Astorga than in Leon on the Frances. But I like a bit of a cushion more than a bit of a stretch for a first Camino. On the Portugues, however, you could quite comfortably start in Porto.

The Frances is more traditional, to be sure. But there is a lot of documented history behind the Portugues, as well, and less of the feeling of starting in the middle (if you start in Porto). Both options have plenty of infrastructure to support a first-time pilgrim, enabling you the flexibility to adapt as your Camino unfolds.

3. I would advise booking the the first night or two but not everything in advance (see above about the flexibility to adapt as your Camino unfolds). If you find yourself getting anxious and want a bit more certainty about where you are heading to each day to ease your anxiety, you can always book a day or two in advance as you walk.

I hope this helps. Buen Camino! Try and worry less. Things on a Camino have a way of working out.
This post of yours could be a welcome message to every new pilgrim coming to this forum. So much good info in one place, in a supportive and motivational way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you so much everyone for all your wonderful responses!! I am looking at planning it now
I would add just a couple of things. You can download the Buen Camino and or Wise Pilgrim app and refer to Gronze.com. All three have listings of albergues and hostel/pensions and hotels. Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps have GPS in case you get lost. They will also help with your planning. You absolutely do not have to book. Yes it will be more crowded on the CF from Sarria on. But if you stay off stages and call ahead to where you want to stay for availability. If you don't know Spanish ask someone or use Whatsapp. Neither of these caminos necessitate using hiking boots. Unless you have a strong reason to use boots I think most people would agree that a good pair of trail runners will suit you very well. They are much lighter and have no break in is needed. If you are going to wear new or even pretty new boots you are asking for blisters. Get a half size larger at least as your feet will swell. Planning is fun. I do it before every camino. I write down where I will sleep each night and the name of the albergue. Then when I leave for my camino, I leave the list behind and just walk.
One last thing. I just turned 70 last month. I walk every day but do very little training for my caminos now. Far less then when I walked 12 years ago for my first camino. You would be amazed at how little I 🚋. I do walk with my backpack for about 4 or 5 days for only 6 or 7k right before I leave. Why? Because I know how to walk in my rhythm. I do not walk to keep up or walk to slow down. I always listen to my body. I stop and rest before I get tired. Just 10 or 15 minutes. I walk much longer caminos as I have the luxury of time. So I try to keep my days at about 20k max for at least the first week. You will be fine.
Last camino I went to New York for almost 3 weeks to visit my daughters and friends before I left for my camino and proceeded to walk about 950k. That was after I had to get some therapy also for a really bad muscle spasm in my back. I was in a really hilly section at the beginning of my camino on the Vasco. But I knew I wanted to warm up some so I walked from Bayonne, France for 3 days before I got to the Vasco. It was a nice and easy walk for those 3 days and it got me going really well.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Personally I’d suggest the Portuguese coastal route for this time of year.

Your decision will depend on how much you wish to encounter lots of people. If you’d rather have a quieter time (but still a smattering of nice encounters) then the Portuguese is likely to be ideal.

Porto is gorgeous in its own right and two weeks is pretty comfortable. Starting gently and slowly building up as it suits you.

Buen Camino

So much great advice above. Just to say, I have done 2 stints on the Camino without training, planning or booking in advance. Everyone does it different mind! First was Pamplona to Burgos, 2nd Pamplona to Leon. The benefit of this from a fitness perspective was looking after the knees! The first stretch is beautiful, the 2nd, the meseta is wide open expanse and generally flat. There is an incredible tribe of humans asking the big questions of life. Many people away without their partner for the first time. You can go at your own pace, people are kind - if you are being called... follow it. I might see you somewhere along the path. Good luck... p.s. I found walking poles to be a real god send.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back