• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Who would have believed it?

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Walked around Santiago yesterday to go to Mass at noon, get my Compostela, and do some research for return with my students this winter.

I got a blister! Same shoes and socks as the Camino this last week when I got no blisters! Only a small one and in the same place as one of my 2016 blisters. It is better today, but I put a piece of paper tape on it and switched from Darn Tough to Icebreaker socks. Waiting for a bus to Finesterre today in the Intermodal Station. The new station is really a step up from the old bus station!20230627_095617.jpg20230627_095649.jpg20230627_100113.jpg20230627_101818.jpg20230627_101821.jpg20230627_101917.jpg20230627_101803.jpg

If you are looking for some out of the way architecture, Phil and I visited the Colgiata del Sar near the bus station and our AirBNB this morning. National Historic site. A Romanesque Church and monastery. The church has buttresses on both sides as it was in danger of collapse in the 17th century. Small museum, beautiful cloisters.Church is still in use and the inside columns are tilting crazily outward hence the outer buttresses on each side.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh! Thank you for the photos from the Colgiata! When we were there in May (walking up the hill to the Centro de Cultura (is that the name? It’s very early here, and my memory is a bit sputtering these days)… we stopped at the Colgiata, but there was a (very full) mass being celebrated and so we did not go in.
Am I correct in recalling/understanding that the structure sits on an alluvial plan and that this is why it was compromised?

As I understand it, there was frequent flooding and the church actually sits a good 3 feet below what is now the surface of the street so possibly. It was built in the 12th century and reinforced with buttresses with help from the order at San Martin Pinero in the 17th century. It has been a parish since the 1800's and is actively used for local services. It was declared a National Historic site in 1895, I believe. It was a Augustinian monastery.

There is a Montessori school in the rest of the building according to the signs posted although we saw no children today. There is a large playground and soccer goals in the back next to the river.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The best view of the cloister is from the school on the second floor. I get to sneak a peek after every parent-teacher meeting.

And hiding in the ground floor rooms are a baffling collection of old carved stones. I've looked at them closely but cannot fathom where they are from as nothing seems to be missing from the Colexiata itself.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back