• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why worry? Just decide-and go. Life will provide.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
So, then: My one-way ticket to Barcelona has been ordered. Right this minute. Non-refundable, for April 13th. The game is on.

Before I go on, I should say thay I consider myself now as a quite experienced pilgrim after 4 walks, but nonetheless: It is like throwing oneself into some kind of abyss. But here is my (lack of) plan: I have a plane for Barcelona on April 13th. I will be arriving late, so have to find a hotel (near the railwaystation) that is open after midnight, for a few hours of sleep. Get up very early and get to the rail station. But where to go??? I do not know...

What I do know, is that many people have way too many worries ahead of their Camino: The life on the Camino is actually very easy, effortless, and low-cost. Days go by in a routine style. Biggest problems are getting there and getting out of there, IMHO. I do not have that problem. I go there, and I get out of there one way or the other, when I'm done. But I realize that as a pensioner, I am privileged.

Last year I had to stop in Astorga due to a very severe cold. Should I go back there and continue? Train goes there from Barcelona. Or should I start in Burgos? If so, I can enjoy the Meseta once more. Forget all negatives you may have heard about the Meseta: It is a very nice stretch. If I go to Burgos, I can take a bus to Covarubbios and see the grave/crypt of a Norwegian Viking princess: I think I'd like to do that. Suits an old Viking pilgrim like me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Norway,_Infanta_of_Castile

I could also stay an extra day or two in Leon, seeing a chalice:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/31/crowds-flock-spanish-chuch-leon-holy-grail-claim

Why not?

I realize more than I did on earlier walks on the Camino, that I must really slow down, enjoy life, enjoy people, enjoy places, and live in the now. I tried earlier, with quite some success, but I will improve much more this time.

Point is: I have a flight into Barcelona: Where it will take me further, I do not know. Do not care too much actually: I have started my way, and it will form in front of me.

Hope to seee some of you folks for a communal dinner/making it ourselves, and sharing a glass or 3 of tinto before bedtime.

And Ivar; that cold beer offer of mine is coming closer now!!!:)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, then: My one-way ticket to Barcelona has been ordered. Right this minute. Non-refundable, for April 13th. The game is on.

Before I go on, I should say thay I consider myself now as a quite experienced pilgrim after 4 walks, but nonetheless: It is like throwing oneself into some kind of abyss. But here is my (lack of) plan: I have a plane for Barcelona on April 13th. I will be arriving late, so have to find a hotel (near the railwaystation) that is open after midnight, for a few hours of sleep. Get up very early and get to the rail station. But where to go??? I do not know...

What I do know, is that many people have way too many worries ahead of their Camino: The life on the Camino is actually very easy, effortless, and low-cost. Days go by in a routine style. Biggest problems are getting there and getting out of there, IMHO. I do not have that problem. I go there, and I get out of there one way or the other, when I'm done. But I realize that as a pensioner, I am privileged.

Last year I had to stop in Astorga due to a very severe cold. Should I go back there and continue? Train goes there from Barcelona. Or should I start in Burgos? If so, I can enjoy the Meseta once more. Forget all negatives you may have heard about the Meseta: It is a very nice stretch. If I go to Burgos, I can take a bus to Covarubbios and see the grave/crypt of a Norwegian Viking princess: I think I'd like to do that. Suits an old Viking pilgrim like me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Norway,_Infanta_of_Castile

I could also stay an extra day or two in Leon, seeing a chalice:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/31/crowds-flock-spanish-chuch-leon-holy-grail-claim

Why not?

I realize more than I did on earlier walks on the Camino, that I must really slow down, enjoy life, enjoy people, enjoy places, and live in the now. I tried earlier, with quite some success, but I will improve much more this time.

Point is: I have a flight into Barcelona: Where it will take me further, I do not know. Do not care too much actually: I have started my way, and it will form in front of me.

Hope to seee some of you folks for a communal dinner/making it ourselves, and sharing a glass or 3 of tinto before bedtime.

And Ivar; that cold beer offer of mine is coming closer now!!!:)
Such nice thoughts!!!!!
The way will provide to you everything! You know that!!!
As soon as you get there you will find your answers!!!
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love it Alex! Still undecided where I am walking because of the heel spur issue. But may defer the original Madrid Camino for another time. Will decide in May the day I fly to Madrid (already booked). Just may opt for the familiarity and support structure of the Frances. Like you I have determined to take it easier this time and stroll short legs, taking it as it comes. I know this will more than likely mean losing a few Camino families along the way but that's the trade off.

Last edited:
If I go to Burgos, I can take a bus to Covarubbios and see the grave/crypt of a Norwegian Viking princess:

IMHO, even better would be to take a bus from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos, to visit the Monastery in Santo Domingo de Silos and to walk back to Burgos following the Ruta de la Lana (http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=45) or the Camino del Cid (http://www.caminodelcid.org). Of course, along the walk from Santo Domingo de Silos to Burgos you would stop in Covarrubias...

I did that last year,Barca to Pamplona

Be aware that locals don't use Barca as a (nick)name for Barcelona. Barça is the nickname of the main soccer team of the city but just of that soccer team; not of the city itself. Locals use Barna as a shorten name for the city.
BTW, Barca means boat in Spanish and it's the name of a village in Soria province.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
How sweet this forum is. As I launch my thoughts, others come in with better opportunities.

But I must say, I love my plan of having no plan: What degree of freedom isn't that?

I should also reveal that my flight to Barcelona from Arctic Norway cost me 95 Euros. A bargain...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Manresa? Montserrat? Those are the first two places I'd be heading if I were in Barcelona.
Hello Alex,
If you arrive at Barcelona, you can also walk the Ignatian way. It goes from Barcelona to Loyola. I suppose it can join the Frances and also seems great :)

Great idea Barbara,
Kiwi our family home in the seaside village of Sorrento is called Manresa.
Has been since the wedding in 72 and beside it is a yellow arrow.
We were told about "The place of rest" when at school.
Enjoy the SLOW walk Alex
We will attempt our dawdle in late June-early August from Moissac , we should reach Leon.

When I arrived back home from 42 days on the Camino in 2013, an interested neighbour asked about the difficulties of walking and planning a schedule of such complexity. We were having a lovely conversation until I told her that I went to Spain on a one-way ticket (from Canada) and just walked each day, trying to accept what happened. Her face then went blank and the conversation ended abruptly. I suppose the implication of heading out without a plan was too outside the box.
Later, I thought that perhaps pilgrims go one way, tourists require the return ticket.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
perhaps pilgrims go one way, tourists require the return ticket.

Well, wealthy pilgrims, perhaps. For overseas travel where a one-way ticket is usually as much as double the price of a round trip, us poorer pilgrims don't have that luxury, I'm afraid, so I for one will have to accept that you consider me a lowly tourist. :)

Yikes. I had no intention to insult or suggest a pilgrim hierarchy. I apparently did so please accept my apologies.
I did find two one-way fares that amounted to about $100 more than a return ticket. I decided the difference was well worth the advantages.
Regards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why, thanks, WineShoppe Guy. I do understand what you mean to say, and I myself did find two one-way tickets after a lot of searching, but those are often available only in very limited quantities. Friends who want to come with me for the first few days haven't been able to find anything reasonably priced at all, even on the same airlines I'm flying.

I do wish I had the luxury of just going. I'm old enough to remember those long lost days when I could decide in Miami at 4 pm on Friday to go to London on the 6 pm flight, and just throw some stuff in a bag and skibble down to the airport and fly the $99 standby fare and do the same coming back. Sigh.

EDIT BTW, I wasn't offended, just amused, hence the smiley.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back