• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Medicinal Plants along the Camino

homa_bird

Hello all, I was on the CF early Sept to early Oct, and just wanted to start a thread about the wealth of medicinal plants, aka "weeds" I found along the way. As a long time plant medicine student and lately teacher, I was thrilled to see the wealth along the way. I KNOW this is a thread that hasn't been touched on much, because believe you me, I looked and looked before I left... :)

I carried a wide mouth glass water bottle, and added things along the way, which, with all the sloshing and warm sun, made a nice beneficial tea.

Here are some personal plant favorites from the camino ditches and roadsides! My dearest wish is that many of you add experiences and knowledge to this thread and we can ethically and sustainably pick a few of these ubiquitous weeds, or just know they are they and give them a smile and a thank you as you walk by.

Stinging nettle. Careful how you pick it, (it can sting your fingers) but this is one of the best tonic and nourishing teas, good for over-all system health, esp kidneys, immune system.

St. John's Wort (or, as we like to say in midwifery circles, St. Joan's Wort). Still blooming in October here and there!! Flowers have red hypericum oil, good for mood elevation, also great for muscle pain and soreness!

Rose hips: all along the way in the fall: crush and add to water for Vit C, immunity booster

Wild fennel: Good for digestion (gas), helps respiratory system, cleans palate, also expands the mind?!

Dandelion: Not enough good things can be said about this eurasian native. Systemic tonic, great for liver health, and just about anything that ails you. ID real dandelion by the smooth leaves, hollow stem, and little "skirt" under the flower bud.

Dandelion look alikes: Groundsel: Tons along the trail all 500 miles! What a versatile survivor in all places from the meseta to the mountains! Groundsel, hawkbit, etc. etc. None of it will hurt you, it is all tonic and good to pop in your water bottle.

Teasel: Another hardy and widespread trail companion. Chinese herbalists loved it for kidney health, which means it is a good blood purifier, and the root is good for GUESS WHAT? pain and stiffness in knees, joints, sinews etc.

I'll stop there for now, but this is the tip of the iceberg, I assure you! It is clear to me, after years of loving/studying plants, that they are allies that GROW WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED by their human friends.

We are all in this together, even the plants love us and want to help!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have also found mullein, blackberries, elderberries, plantain, dock, foxglove, poppies, and many other medicinal plants along The Way.

homa-bird,
Thanks for the heads-up re: medicinal herbs. Here in the mtns. it's one of my favorite pastimes as I'm hiking. Dandelions and wild fennel are common and stinging nettle and I have a good relationship as it rarely chooses to sting me. Not familiar with teasel, so I'll need to do some research. Appreciate you sharing your finds along the camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a thread close to my heart, thanks for starting it! Couldn't believe the number of different herbs and plants growing. There was wild thyme and oregano, on the mountain after Villafranca del Bierzo. And Sandalwood bushes that smelt amazing! John called them incense bushes. And many different kinds of mint growing in ditches along the way... The wild fennel is THE smell of the camino for me.
Does anyone know what those plants are that grow in the hedgerows, look like elderberries, but aren't, and nothing eats them so they must be poisonous ?

I met a Spanish guy (a former ski champion) collecting medicinal herbs on the San Salvador. My Spanish wasn't good enough to appreciate it but he showed me a lot of wild/folk remedy plants along the way as we walked. From what he said it was still a big thing among the mountain people. An absolutely fascinating hour of walking with him.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all, I was on the CF early Sept to early Oct, and just wanted to start a thread about the wealth of medicinal plants, aka "weeds" I found along the way.

I'll stop there for now, but this is the tip of the iceberg, I assure you! It is clear to me, after years of loving/studying plants, that they are allies that GROW WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED by their human friends.

Thank you homa_bird for such an interesting thread, I was intrigued with the plants along the Camino Portugese in June.

I imagine the dosage from a herbal tea would be insignificant but anyone taking anti -depressants should not take St Johns Wort. I don't have all the details to hand but it's easily accessible for anyone concerned, not least in the medication information leaflet supplied with the drugs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the rough country on the road to Viana, in late winter there were many sticky grapes drying on or near the road; and being detached from the vine they were keeping their sugar. (No trespassing required to get them.) I then noticed thyme, juniper, rosemary and bay, growing wild all about the slopes. Talk about perfect ingredients for a stew of oxtail! Some rosehip tea would have been perfect for the "sour", but all the rosehips I saw were further along. Not that I was in any position to start stewing oxtail, but, you know, food and me...

Some photos etc:
http://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/i-know-a-bank-where-the-wild-thyme-grows/

In the rough country on the road to Viana, in late winter there were many sticky grapes drying on or near the road; and being detached from the vine they were keeping their sugar. (No trespassing required to get them.) I then noticed thyme, juniper, rosemary and bay, growing wild all about the slopes. Talk about perfect ingredients for a stew of oxtail! Some rosehip tea would have been perfect for the "sour", but all the rosehips I saw were further along. Not that I was in any position to start stewing oxtail, but, you know, food and me...

Some photos etc:
http://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/i-know-a-bank-where-the-wild-thyme-grows/
Great photos robertt, and inspiration for a perfect English November dinner later in the week !

Wild fennel: Good for digestion (gas), helps respiratory system, cleans palate, also expands the mind?!
Great for cooking, too! Chef Mark added it to every Italian dish he made. The root makes a good salad as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The herb Alexanders (Smyrnium olusatrum) was used by the Romans instead of celery. Just a word of warning though! It is easy to confuse this with the very poisonous Water Dropwort (Oenanthe crocata)! If in doubt, it would be wise to ask a local.

A picture of "water dropwort" growing beside a stream.

HH

Attachments

• DSCF0540.JPG
    DSCF0540.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 32
While I would agree that it is possible, and dangerous, to confuse Alexander's and Water Dropwort (hemlock) habitat helps. Dropwort always by or in water / marsh, Alexanders not usually by water and in the UK at least seldom more than a mile from the coast. John Wright gives the following key characteristics that will distinguish Alexanders from other umbellifers: yellow flowers;a broad, veined, pink-tinged sheath at the base of the stems and flower buds; shiny leaves which are relatively shallowly lobed and have a sharply serrated edge; a strong sweet aromatic like that of angelica; if broken the young stems do not exude a sticky fluid. Alexander stems, harvestable here from January onward until spring are delicious pealed, steamed and served with a knob of butter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one time we went hungry on the Camino we found the only blackberries which were still in their prime. Milagro!

For medicinal herbs, Bhutan is tough to beat----field and fields of "medicine".

herbs2.JPG herbs3.JPG

This is a thread close to my heart, thanks for starting it! Couldn't believe the number of different herbs and plants growing. There was wild thyme and oregano, on the mountain after Villafranca del Bierzo. And Sandalwood bushes that smelt amazing! John called them incense bushes. And many different kinds of mint growing in ditches along the way... The wild fennel is THE smell of the camino for me.
Does anyone know what those plants are that grow in the hedgerows, look like elderberries, but aren't, and nothing eats them so they must be poisonous ?

Those are actually great for consumption, but only if you cook them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus. European black elder berry...makes a great wine. Not good raw, but in a pinch, you can eat a few. If you eat a lot, or juice them, you can get sick...(they contain a bit of cyanide I think?) but our native people made pemmican with them... I suspect they cooked them first though...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you homa_bird for such an interesting thread, I was intrigued with the plants along the Camino Portugese in June.

I imagine the dosage from a herbal tea would be insignificant but anyone taking anti -depressants should not take St Johns Wort. I don't have all the details to hand but it's easily accessible for anyone concerned, not least in the medication information leaflet supplied with the drugs.

Yep, imho Big Pharma doesn't like competition, and a weed that grows so plentifully, and has been shown to be helpful in depression when used wisely, is competition. I think there are many campaigns out there to remove people's sense of agency around treating themselves with common plants...cuz there's no profit there. But that's my humble opinion, I don't want to turn this thread into anything contention. that said, SJW does interfere with seratonin, and as with all medicinal herbs, should be researched and respected. btw, SJW has way less side effects than the SSRIs, such as no suicidal ideation etc.

PS I've found it commonly growing in very depressing places, like in the gravel among the trash surrounding divey bars and burned out looking buildings...it seems to grow where needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
image.jpg This is not a great photo of them, but I don't think they are Elderberries. They are more like a plant that grows at the side of the road...

I took this photo at a roadside somewhere in Spain this year. Would love to know whats in there

Beautiful picture, especially viewed from grey skies, rain-drizzled, post frost Englandshire ! Can't help on the plants but think those things on the right are cars ..... thanks for brightening my day

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the way to Parthenay we passed huge fields of hemp Newfy - had to look twice!
On coast of Portugal we came upon stands of blue and white Camassias - beautiful! As gardeners me and the hubby spend much time when walking or cycling taking turns to call out and identify wild plants (when not playing pub cricket!). But being unable to pass free food - we have been stood, one balanced on a bike seat with a walking stick in hand trying to hook down wild plums. And there is marital hysteria if we spot a decent puffball...

Do keep in mind that some plants are protected by law and are not allowed to be picked as in the case of chamomile in some parts of Spain. Anyone doing so is subject to be fined.

Ondo Ibili !
thanks for that info! Is there anywhere you know of where we can go and find out more about protected plants???
TY

Each of the 17 Autonomous Regions of Spain has its own Red Book on protected species, so you have a lot of places to research! The protection is generally for the habitat, not the individual plant. That is, developers cannot obliterate a habitat for a protected specie, but it is OK to pluck a branch (with about 5 exceptions for truly rare plants, most of which are in State parks). Worrying about making a pot of camomile tea, or taking some fennel seeds for your marinara sauce may be excessive! Seeing a wildlife officer outside of a national park is probably quite rare. It may be sufficient to avoid killing any plant unnecessarily, that is, no wild flower garlands around your bonnet...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Each of the 17 provinces of Spain has its own Red Book on protected species, so you have a lot of places to research! The protection is generally for the habitat, not the individual plant. That is, developers cannot obliterate a habitat for a protected specie, but it is OK to pluck a branch (with about 5 exceptions for truly rare plants, most of which are in State parks). Worrying about making a pot of camomile tea, or taking some fennel seeds for your marinara sauce may be excessive! Seeing a wildlife officer outside of a national park is probably quite rare. It may be sufficient to avoid killing any plant unnecessarily, that is, no wild flower garlands around your bonnet...:)

This seems like a very sane and reasonable approach. Use your noggin, and don't kill anything. If a wild plant is plentiful and healthy, (and you know for sure what it is) clipping a few inches for medicinal use is quite harmless, and confers many benefits on many levels.

Mendi:

Def would not be involved in picking any plant protected by law. Def def def. I have total respect for the laws of the countries I am visiting. I am very glad to hear there are resources out there to tell you what these laws are, regionally and specifically. So glad you brought up this topic!

I do doubt, however, that there are laws forbidding the pinching off of a few flowers/leaves/seeds of dandelion, fennel, dock, plantain or nettle (some of the most beneficial and ubiquitous "weeds" out there).

But if there are laws against doing this, you can bet I wont be doin it!

To quote Falcon: "Each of the 17 Autonomous Regions of Spain has its own Red Book on protected species, so you have a lot of places to research! The protection is generally for the habitat, not the individual plant. That is, developers cannot obliterate a habitat for a protected specie, but it is OK to pluck a branch (with about 5 exceptions for truly rare plants, most of which are in State parks)."

You can bet I'll be accessing that Red Book on any return trips I make, so I can be in compliance. And will def NOT be messing with the rare and endangered (which is an issue everywhere for plant medicine practitioners).

Some rare and endangered plants which I saw, and of course left entirely alone, along the Camino were: echinacea (one of our natives here in the US that we "gave" to Europe), larkspur, aconitum (a thrilling find, but even touching it can make you a little...crazy). I also would never pick wild bulbs, like the little crocuses we saw all along the way (tho I might, if moved, gently touch a finger into the center of one for a taste of the gold!). Also: any orchids, of course. Did not spy even one of the lovely Spanish Bee Orchids, pictured here, but needless to say, wouldn't harm a hair on their heads!

Also, any plants that look stressed, occur uncommonly or are off the trail, should be left alone. If you aren't sure, leave alone.

Attachments

• Friburgensis-opt.jpg
    Friburgensis-opt.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"For Peninsular Spain and the Balearic Islands the Atlas y Libro Rojo de la
Flora Vascular Amenazada de España (BAÑARES et al., 2003, Atlas in the text)
lists 20 extinct, 157 critically endangered and 95 endangered taxa (species and
subspecies), which are protected at the national level. Each Spanish
Autonomous Region, of which there are 17 in the country, has its own Red
Book and a series of species protected by law. I will only refer to the two
Peninsular Communities which include in their territory Western Mediterranean
Islands, and to the Balearic Community whose territory covers the
Balearic Islands."

"Do all plants have the same conservation value?
Another issue that is not explicitly addressed in the lists and red books is the importance (absolute value) of the plants to be protected. This is something that needs a more scientific basis than simply the anthropocentric value of plants (for their nutritional, pharmaceutical, and ritual uses, etc.). Thus the classification (systematics) of plants is the best starting point for this purpose. When we talk of taxa we usually refer to species and subspecies, as reflected in the preceding paragraphs. However, we must not lose sight of the fact that genera, families and higher categories are also taxa.

Although they are all taxa, it seems clear that loss of a genus through extinction is more serious than the loss of a subspecies. That is to say, a genus that is threatened because very few populations remain of its sole species should receive priority over other lower taxa. In Spain there are not many higher taxa as the only family endemic to Spain’s latitudes (Aphyllanthaceae) is distributed throughout the Mediterranean.

Therefore, the absolute value of higher taxa is the fundamental argument being addressed by the Fundación General CSIC Proyectos Cero project whose title asks the question “Do all endangered species the same value?” (“¿Tienen todas las especies amenazadas el mismo valor? Origen y conservación de fósiles vivientes de plantas con flores endémicas en España”)."

"Study of the “big five”
Just as the term “big five” is applied to all five species of big game (lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant) that were hardest to capture in South Africa, we have adopted the metaphor for the five critically endangered species in the “biggest” taxonomic range (genera). The most up-to-date conservation techniques and methodologies available will be applied to the population of the big “five genera” to promote their conservation.

"Avellar fistulosa
Perennial plant of the Asteraceae family now reduced in Spain to a single population in Doñana National Park (Seville). Another population located in Cadiz (Chiclana) has not been located since 1927. Four popu-
lations are known in Portugal. No phylogenetic studies have been carried out on this species, but it is expected to be very close to the genus Scorzonera.

"Castrilanthemum debeauxii
Populations of this annual member of the Asteraceae family have been found in the mountains near Castril (Jaén), Guillimona (Granada) and Cabrillo (Jaén). However, only the population in Sierra de Guillimona has appeared several years in a row this decade. It would seem to fulfil all three requirements for it to be considered a living fossil because, apart from its taxonomic and geographical isolation, a preliminary phylogeny indicates that it forms a sister group with two genera (Leucanthemopsis, Prolongoa) containing about ten species (see picture).

"Gyrocaryum oppositifolium
This is another annual plant appearing capriciously in the spring, and it was discovered in large numbers in the town of Constantina near Seville, but has not been seen there again since 1982. Later, in 1994, it was discovered another town in Leon (Ponferrada) and again in Madrid (Cadalso de los Vidrios) in 2000. The only population that has been followed for a number of years is that of Leon since the Madrid population only appears in some benign years (for example, 2000 and 2005). It has been classified as belonging to the extensive Boraginaceas family, although its specific systematic position within one of its taxonomic tribes remains uncertain. While we have been able to include this species in a phylogeny of the family to which it belongs (Boraginaceae), lack of neighbouring genera that have been studied makes it impossible to know what position it occupies on the evolutionary tree.

"Naufraga balearica
"This perennial plant belonging to the Umbelliferae family can only be found in three populations in north-eastern Majorca. In 1981 a population was discovered in Corsica, but has not subsequently returned. Its position on the evolutionary tree has been studied in three previous phylogenies. However, limited sampling of species from other genera, especially of celery (Apium spp.) makes it impossible to know if this is a case of a true living fossil (see picture).

"Pseudomisopates
"This plant, belonging to the Scrophulariaceae family, has undoubtedly been studied more closely than the others thanks to a member of our team (Elena Amat) devoting her thesis to it. It is now known to occur in various parts of the Sierra de Gredos (Avila), with plants, distributed in two population centres in the Serrota and the Gredos mountains, both in Ávila (see picture), where it propagates by sending out long runners.

"The latest findings indicate that the sister genus (Acanthorrhinum) which also consists of a single species, is distributed throughout the Atlas mountains in Morocco. It therefore fails to meet the phylogenetic criteria and should not be considered a living fossil. However, the question remains whether the separation between the two genera is old enough for the absolute phylogenetic criterion to be applicable. That is, the question is whether these are two ancient lineages resulting from a separation before the Mediterranean climate became established."

Don't make a tea of the "big five"!!

Cool Falcon! Thanks!
Here are pics of these amazing plants, tote off my radar screen... just so we don't even STEP on them! I imagine we'd be lucky to even see one of them :)

Attachments

• planta_03.jpg
    planta_03.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 15
  • planta_02.jpg
    planta_02.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 13
  • planta_01.jpg
    planta_01.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 13
  • 31877.jpg
    31877.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 060521_9652b_NaufragaBalearica_CalaSantVicen%C3%A7_IbMaFormentor.jpg
    060521_9652b_NaufragaBalearica_CalaSantVicen%C3%A7_IbMaFormentor.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 13
I'd like to say don't pick the plants in Spain, because there is an awesome herb shop in SJPP.
But I'm guilty of picking Chanterelles last spring on the way from Arzua to Arca. The sides of the trail was flush with them and I'd never seen Chanterelles in the spring. Here, they grow only in the autumn.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all, I was on the CF early Sept to early Oct, and just wanted to start a thread about the wealth of medicinal plants, aka "weeds" I found along the way. As a long time plant medicine student and lately teacher, I was thrilled to see the wealth along the way. I KNOW this is a thread that hasn't been touched on much, because believe you me, I looked and looked before I left... :)

I carried a wide mouth glass water bottle, and added things along the way, which, with all the sloshing and warm sun, made a nice beneficial tea.

Here are some personal plant favorites from the camino ditches and roadsides! My dearest wish is that many of you add experiences and knowledge to this thread and we can ethically and sustainably pick a few of these ubiquitous weeds, or just know they are they and give them a smile and a thank you as you walk by.

Stinging nettle. Careful how you pick it, (it can sting your fingers) but this is one of the best tonic and nourishing teas, good for over-all system health, esp kidneys, immune system.

St. John's Wort (or, as we like to say in midwifery circles, St. Joan's Wort). Still blooming in October here and there!! Flowers have red hypericum oil, good for mood elevation, also great for muscle pain and soreness!

Rose hips: all along the way in the fall: crush and add to water for Vit C, immunity booster

Dandelion: Not enough good things can be said about this eurasian native. Systemic tonic, great for liver health, and just about anything that ails you. ID real dandelion by the smooth leaves, hollow stem, and little "skirt" under the flower bud.

Dandelion look alikes: Groundsel: Tons along the trail all 500 miles! What a versatile survivor in all places from the meseta to the mountains! Groundsel, hawkbit, etc. etc. None of it will hurt you, it is all tonic and good to pop in your water bottle.

Teasel: Another hardy and widespread trail companion. Chinese herbalists loved it for kidney health, which means it is a good blood purifier, and the root is good for GUESS WHAT? pain and stiffness in knees, joints, sinews etc.

What a nice surprise! Thank you for sharing this most interesting information.
Buen Camino!

cool thread! Thank you!
One other abundant camino plant with medicinal value is Calendula, it grows wild on the meseta (usually bright yellow or orange flowers) along with great reefs of wild rosemary and Spanish lavender. I grow all of these in the yard, and rub them well and throw them in the water the pilgrims use to soak their feet. Aromatherapy! (and the calendula is really great for skin, the rosemary a natural antiseptic and boot deodorizer.)

The bark of a "chopo," the poplar trees you see with their branches woven overhead, is a good anti-inflammatory if you soak it for a few minutes in warm water. It´s only really effective in winter, though -- or so the neighbors say.

I think the little daisy-like flowers in the pretty roadside pic are "manzanilla," (camomile) popular for after-dinner tea. It makes you sleep well. You can order an "infusion de manzanilla" in any restaurant instead of coffee.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
="robertt, post: 169400,....................... I then noticed thyme, juniper, rosemary and bay, growing wild all about the slopes.
Well , I was about to share this exact location ........... as one decends into the valley.
I choose to read the thread first , so many forum members only comment on the last reply. ;)

cool thread! Thank you!
One other abundant camino plant with medicinal value is Calendula, it grows wild on the meseta (usually bright yellow or orange flowers) along with great reefs of wild rosemary and Spanish lavender. I grow all of these in the yard, and rub them well and throw them in the water the pilgrims use to soak their feet. Aromatherapy! (and the calendula is really great for skin, the rosemary a natural antiseptic and boot deodorizer.)
Hello Reb ,
do upload some pics , especially the Calendula. Ta

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great thread this,just be careful when using some "herbs",you can sometimes get colour variations in the leaves , flowers & fruit, in different areas,especially late in the season......It's great, if you can go out with someone, who can identify the plants & not rely on pictures,same applies to fungi.......I thought I knew about wild herbs,the Elderberry I ate one time, was apparently something else.:oops:......gave me the heeby jeeby's for a week or so :(.........Vicrev

cool thread! Thank you!

The bark of a "chopo," the poplar trees you see with their branches woven overhead, is a good anti-inflammatory if you soak it for a few minutes in warm water. It´s only really effective in winter, though -- or so the neighbors say.

I think the little daisy-like flowers in the pretty roadside pic are "manzanilla," (camomile) popular for after-dinner tea. It makes you sleep well. You can order an "infusion de manzanilla" in any restaurant instead of coffee.
Hi Rebekah, my mom always made Calendula cream, I see if I can find the recipe... but for now, use it on that bite you got. If you have some beebalm cream at hand, add the calendula for now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I saw aloe vera in the wild at some places. Didn't have to use it so I never found out how leagal it would be to cut of a part or just carving in to it to get some juice for a sun burn, wound.

If you just take a small piece of the plant I think it would be acceptable - to the plant anyway! Personally if there are plenty of a species I would be happy to gather material, if there were few - I wouldn't!

Could anyone recommend any books (preferably ebook/pdf/etc.) on recognizing herbs and edible plants? Maybe even with recipes?

Could anyone recommend any books (preferably ebook/pdf/etc.) on recognizing herbs and edible plants? Maybe even with recipes?
Hi, I found a book somewhere online that was called something like "A Field Guide to Edible weeds on the Camino" but I have googled and googled and cant find it. Still looking. Anyone know of it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I found a book somewhere online that was called something like "A Field Guide to Edible weeds on the Camino" but I have googled and googled and cant find it. Still looking. Anyone know of it?

Maybe this one, in Ivar's own Forum Shop?

Maybe this one, in Ivar's own Forum Shop?
No thats not the one....but thankyou. Good news, I just found the note I made of it!. Its called "The Edible Camino - A Field Guide of Wild Edibles along the Camino de Santiago" It costs about twenty euros and is written by Tomer Kichevsky and Courtney Jean Perry. Now I just have to find where to buy it.

No thats not the one....but thankyou. Good news, I just found the note I made of it!. Its called "The Edible Camino - A Field Guide of Wild Edibles along the Camino de Santiago" It costs about twenty euros and is written by Tomer Kichevsky and Courtney Jean Perry. Now I just have to find where to buy it.
Its Kilchevsky not Kichevsky....sorry for typo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found it on Amazon. Costs about twenty bucks. Will be sending away for it asap in prep for my next Camino in September.....Lisbon to Sde C.

I'm confused... How is the link I provided to "The Edible Camino - A Field Guide of Wild Edibles Along the Camino de Santiago" in Ivar's Forum Shop not the same as the description you provide?

I'm confused... How is the link I provided to "The Edible Camino - A Field Guide of Wild Edibles Along the Camino de Santiago" in Ivar's Forum Shop not the same as the description you provide?
O sorry....my mistake. Yes that's the one. I got a bit confused myself in my excitement.! Thankyou for getting straight back on that one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How funny, just seen it for sale in the Santiago Cathedral shop!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back