• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I be warm enough?

SafariGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
Hola amigo/as, Can you share your views please? I leave SJPP in a week & am just beginning to wonder if I'm going to be warm enough. To keep weight down I'm taking short & long-sleeved tech-tees, a micro fleece & a very thin waterproof jacket. My plan was to layer & generate body heat by walking! I'll also have a thermal beanie & gloves, but I'm just beginning to wonder if I'll be warm enough. My furthest point will be Burgos. Any views appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you should be all right, especially with the layering. If you do feel cold, you will be able to buy extra clothes in Pamplona at least. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The layering decision is usually made after you arise and check to see what the weather is like.
Usually, to be nice and snug when starting out, that meant utilising 3 layers. The outermost fleece layer usually being removed within an hour.
At higher altitude, at it's morning very coldest in Sep/Oct that meant 4 layers, rainwater being here used as a windproof warmth layer.
Regds
Gerard

As falcon points out, our bodies' comfort level is such an individual thing. But, to give you an idea, I am one of the first people in the room to get cold, and I have walked in October with only a fleece and a light gore-tex jacket (Marmot Precip) to use for rain and warmth. I was fine. Without my lambswool gloves and my lightweight wool headband, however, I would have been in big trouble, because I used them almost every day. And I highly recommend wool over any other high tech fabric because it will keep on insulating when wet, unlike most of the fancier things. Buen camino, hope it's a wonderful one! Laurie

As Laurie says, some people run hot and some run cold--so it's an individual thing that only you will be able to discern once you're out there. Regardless, a warm head and warm hands go a long way to mitigate discomfort that may be going on elsewhere--most of the body's heat goes out from heads/hands/wrists.

So for me thin gloves and a thin beanie are always there, even in summer conditions, because a driving rain or thunderstorm can change heat to cold, fast. Merino wool is great--thin, lightweight, and warm. And it stays warm if it's wet. Not so synthetics.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In Apr/May, I found that I started the day with three layers (inner, middle and light fleece) and in an hour or so would be able to remove the fleece. On one or two occasions I have had my rain jacket on as well to keep warm, but that was very early in spring. I rarely wear just a single layer outside of the summer mouths, but if you are comfortable with that you might find you have enough.

As falcon points out, our bodies' comfort level is such an individual thing. But, to give you an idea, I am one of the first people in the room to get cold, and I have walked in October with only a fleece and a light gore-tex jacket (Marmot Precip) to use for rain and warmth. I was fine. Without my lambswool gloves and my lightweight wool headband, however, I would have been in big trouble, because I used them almost every day. And I highly recommend wool over any other high tech fabric because it will keep on insulating when wet, unlike most of the fancier things. Buen camino, hope it's a wonderful one! Laurie
Thanks very much Laurie and all of you for sharing your own experiences and views, that's very helpful to me and I now feel reassured. I'm also inclined to feel cold when not moving, but warm up quickly when I do. I think that if I just combine-layer the things that I'm planning to take (I also have waterproof over-trousers) I'll be fine. Muchas gracias! :)

As someone said September can be warm and so can be October too, I know Im going to get some flack for just in case stuff but carry a silk base layer its very thin and super light but in a pinch it will keep you supper warm under a long sleeve shirt. Here is why I do it: it can be very sunny one day and then bang a cold morning and raining and once you start warm you stay warm but boy its a pain when you start cold and have to play catch up :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As someone said September can be warm and so can be October too, I know Im going to get some flack for just in case stuff but carry a silk base layer its very thin and super light but in a pinch it will keep you supper warm under a long sleeve shirt. Here is why I do it: it can be very sunny one day and then bang a cold morning and raining and once you start warm you stay warm but boy its a pain when you start cold and have to play catch up :(
Thanks for the tip zzotte - yes, catch-up in heat terms is always a challenge.

Hi @SafariGirl - I'm on camino now, at Najera, and the weather has been cold enough in the mornings for me to be wearing a woollen jumper or a jacket and gloves. By mid-morning I can discard the outer layer and gloves. Temperature range is 10 to 20 degrees (Celsius)
Hope this helps.

Hi @SafariGirl - I'm on camino now, at Najera, and the weather has been cold enough in the mornings for me to be wearing a woollen jumper or a jacket and gloves. By mid-morning I can discard the outer layer and gloves. Temperature range is 10 to 20 degrees (Celsius)
Hope this helps.
Many thanks Kanga - great to have 'in-situ' reporting like this! Buen Camino :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you got some kind of scarf/buff? Something warm around your neck to ensure there will be no cold drafts down your inner layers can be a lifesaver. (I have a huge, light-weight wool scarf, which also provides sun shade and has been used as a fast-drying pillowcase.)

Have you got some kind of scarf/buff? Something warm around your neck to ensure there will be no cold drafts down your inner layers can be a lifesaver. (I have a huge, light-weight wool scarf, which also provides sun shade and has been used as a fast-drying pillowcase.)
That's great advice thanks Heidi. Have now put one in my backpack! Gracias

Hope this helps.
Hi Kanga - can you describe your jumper and where you purchased it? I'm trying to decide between a skirt (or jumper?) with leggings or a second pair of pants. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cynthia:
I believe, from my years living in England, that @Kanga is referring to what you would call a pullover sweater. I am not sure about your jumper, but I think that possibly the Australians would refer to that as a pinafore dress. I wore zip-off pants on my camino (which I never zipped off) and carried a skirt, which ended up being for evening and days off/dress up wear. That worked for me. I carry leggings and wore them in the evenings, for extra warmth with the skirt, and to bed on cool nights. My skirt is a Tilley walking skirt, so perfectly usable for walking the camino if something happened to my pants. What you take depends on your own preference, provided you dress suitably for the weather when you are out and make sure that you have a change. A modest pair of leggings is convenient if you want to get all your walking clothes machine washed at the same time. Happy planning and buen camino.

Cynthia:
I believe, from my years living in England, that @Kanga is referring to what you would call a pullover sweater. I am not sure about your jumper, but I think that possibly the Australians would refer to that as a pinafore dress. I wore zip-off pants on my camino (which I never zipped off) and carried a skirt, which ended up being for evening and days off/dress up wear. That worked for me. I carry leggings and wore them in the evenings, for extra warmth with the skirt, and to bed on cool nights. My skirt is a Tilley walking skirt, so perfectly usable for walking the camino if something happened to my pants. What you take depends on your own preference, provided you dress suitably for the weather when you are out and make sure that you have a change. A modest pair of leggings is convenient if you want to get all your walking clothes machine washed at the same time. Happy planning and buen camino.
Excellent ideas...I'll check out the skirt since I already purchased smart wool leggings and it would be comfortable for nights/days off. I have another clothing question about layering. I have 2 short sleeved merino wool tees and a light fleece (very light and stretchy). I am planning on buying a long sleeve merino tee to layer over the short sleeve tee and under the fleece. The 150 merino wool weight is pretty light and my concern is I might get cold in later September/early October. Would you and others recommend a 200 or 250 weight long sleeve top instead of the 150? Sure appreciate hearing what has worked for others!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Cynthia:
I have two 150 weight merino tshirts. I wore them turn about last year on my camino, but one was very fragile and soon full of holes. I bought another when I got back and am wearing it now to be sure that it will be sturdy enough for my camino this fall. Don't take anything that you haven't worn or used for a reasonable length of time. I would definitely get a heavier weight long sleeved shirt for over top. I have a 260 weight hooded top, which I wear under a sleeveless fleece when I am really chilly. That might be heavier than you need. Don't forget gloves, as mornings are sometimes chilly. And of course a raincoat will double for a windbreaker. Whatever you choose for underwear, make sure that it will dry overnight after hand washing. With your pants, skirt, leggings, and a hat that will mostly be it for clothes, except for whatever socks go with your choice of footwear and maybe a scarf. You will get lots of suggestions from others and will choose what you think will work for you. Good luck.

Cynthia:
I have two 150 weight merino tshirts. I wore them turn about last year on my camino, but one was very fragile and soon full of holes. I bought another when I got back and am wearing it now to be sure that it will be sturdy enough for my camino this fall. Don't take anything that you haven't worn or used for a reasonable length of time. I would definitely get a heavier weight long sleeved shirt for over top. I have a 260 weight hooded top, which I wear under a sleeveless fleece when I am really chilly. That might be heavier than you need. Don't forget gloves, as mornings are sometimes chilly. And of course a raincoat will double for a windbreaker. Whatever you choose for underwear, make sure that it will dry overnight after hand washing. With your pants, skirt, leggings, and a hat that will mostly be it for clothes, except for whatever socks go with your choice of footwear and maybe a scarf. You will get lots of suggestions from others and will choose what you think will work for you. Good luck.
Albertagirl...you have been so helpful and I truly appreciate your practical advice. I will definitely pack light wool gloves and hat! I'm almost ready and now it's time to stick to a training schedule! Three months to go...can I last without driving those around me crazy???

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back