• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino starting 24th/26th December - some thoughts please?

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
I'm probably going to walk some of the Camino starting flying out of London either Christmas Eve, or Boxing day and finishing 8th or 9th January.

I walked from Pamplona to Burgos this year around the same time and absolutely loved it, the weather was much better than I expected, the scenery was beautiful, and I met some great people. Best of all though, it wasn't crowded.

Having walked that section twice this year though, I am trying to decide which bit to do in a couple of weeks. I will fly in from London, and need to coordinate airports and travel to and from the relevant sections of the Camino. One thought that came to mind is flying into Santiago and then bussing back to somewhere and walking back, maybe from Leon to Santiago. I didn't much like this section last time, mainly because it was so crowded (and I didn't enjoy Galicia as much), however I'm guessing in December/January it wouldn't be too crowded and there would be fairly good availability of albergues.

I wonder if anyone could give me any thoughts or advice please? What would that section be like? Or any other good sections they would recommend? What would a couple of hundred Kms on the Portuguese be like? Anyone else thinking of going around that time? From London?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The albergues in Galicia, the municipal/Xunta ones I mean, will be all open, so that covers that point. Obviously the closer you come to the coast, the wetter it is most likely in winter. Alternatively you could just continue from where you stopped last time and see how far you come. Buen Camino, SY

PS List of albergues open in winter http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

One thought that came to mind is flying into Santiago and then bussing back to somewhere and walking back, maybe from Leon to Santiago.

The only problem on that section would be snow if it happens to be a snowy year (what doesn't seem so right now). If snow makes the climb to O Cebreiro risky or unadvaisable, you have always the alternative of continuing from Ponferrada onwards following the Camino de Invierno and the last stages of the Camino Sanabrés. Therefore, snow in the area around Foncebadón would be the only one that might cause problems if there's too much of it (so far weather is being dry but you never know how it'll be next month).

León is easier to reach from Asturias airport and from Madrid than from Santiago de Compostela so it might make sense to look for a one-way ticket (with a low cost airline) from London to either Asturias or Madrid. On your way back, you can fly with Ryanair from Santiago de Compostela to London.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be in Santiago this Christmas. Arriving on 19 December, I will either go to Portomarin to finish my unfinished bit done earlier this year. And later, after Christmas, am considering the English Way. But then, there's also the call to go to Portugal, so I can walk through The Holy Door in Lisbon. May the Holy Spirit be my guide. Buen Camino

I am trying to decide between Sarria to Santiago or Porto to Santiago on Portuguese. Wish I knew which one would have more pilgrims and more open. would be arriving on 24-25 December and staying until Jan 3 -to 7 . I am flexible depending on route I choose.

I am trying to decide between Sarria to Santiago or Porto to Santiago on Portuguese. Wish I knew which one would have more pilgrims and more open. would be arriving on 24-25 December and staying until Jan 3 -to 7 . I am flexible depending on route I choose.

Porto to Santiago will take a bit longer than Sarria to Santiago. The first option gives you the opportunity to be in two countries during one Camino. If you choose option 2, see if you can start in Samos. Stay at the albergue there and then go to the Monastery. It will blow your socks away. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone for your messages, really helpful. I didn't get any email alerts that you had all replied, so got a good surprise when I checked earlier.

I am thinking now of flying into Madrid on 26th December, and catching a train either on Sunday or Monday to Astorga ( I think there is a train to Astorga).

That would then give me 12 days to walk to Santiago and catch an evening flight back to London on the 9th of January. I should just do it, unless weather is really bad.

I'm can't wait to get back on the Camino, and have some much needed unwinding time.

and catching a train either on Sunday or Monday to Astorga ( I think there is a train to Astorga).

Yes, there's a direct train to Astorga. In fact, some days there are two trains but none of them runs on Saturdays. As you plan to travel on a Sunday or a Monday, you could take the afternoon Alvia from Madrid to Astorga (the -route of the- train doesn't end in Astorga but in Ponferrada being Astorga just an intermediate stop) but I would suggest to book in advance just in case it would be full. The alternative would be to either make the route changing trains along it or to take the direct overnight train that arrives to Astorga at roughly 04:00 a.m....

As you plan to travel on a Sunday or a Monday, you could take the afternoon Alvia from Madrid to Astorga

Thanks Castilian. That's really helpful. I've now booked to arrive on Saturday 26th into Madrid at 1:50pm. My hope is to get to Leon that day. There seems to be a train going there. I've checked on line but always a bit confused with pre-booking Spanish trains. Would you let me know the best site please?

If I do that, I've got 14 days to get from Leon to Santiago (I return on 9th Jan in evening). Does anyone know if that is do-able in winter? Otherwise I could try and head straight to Astorga and give myself more time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It will depend on the weather! A willingness to wait out bad weather and take transportation may be the keys.
Thanks Falcon. Yes, I might have to be prepared to do that, although I prefer to walk as much as possible.

I've now booked to arrive on Saturday 26th into Madrid at 1:50pm. My hope is to get to Leon that day. There seems to be a train going there. I've checked on line but always a bit confused with pre-booking Spanish trains. Would you let me know the best site please?

Yes, there are trains to León on that date. Given your (scheduled) arrival time, you shouldn't have problems to take the 17:41 Alvia to León. To take the previous one might be possible but tight so I think it would be a good idea to play it safe.

Regarding where and how to book your train tickets take a look at: www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets_for_Spain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, there are trains to León on that date. Given your (scheduled) arrival time, you shouldn't have problems to take the 17:41 Alvia to León. To take the previous one might be possible but tight so I think it would be a good idea to play it safe.

Regarding where and how to book your train tickets take a look at: www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets_for_Spain
Thanks again, sorry to keep asking, but on the Loco2 site it doesn't mention a 17:41 train, only 18:30. What is Alvia? please.

What is Alvia? please. Just worked that one out!

but on the Loco2 site it doesn't mention a 17:41 train, only 18:30.

Sorry, my fault. 17:41 is the departure time of the train from Madrid Puerta de Atocha train station while 18:30 is the departure time of the train from Madrid Chamartín train station. Heading North, tickets are sold, by default, just out of Madrid Chamartín train station and that's why you are only seeing the 18:30 departure. That's not problem for you because gives you more time to enjoy Madrid or, in case your flight is heavily delayed, to reach your train. You can easily reach Madrid Chamartín train station from the Terminal 4 of the airport taking a Cercanías (Shuttle) train. They run every 30 minutes. Alternatively, you may try the metro out of Terminal 4 or out of Terminal 2 but it takes longer and requires a change of lines in Nuevos Ministerios. Taxi from the airport to Madrid Chamartín station has a fixed price of 30 Euros.

What is Alvia?

Alvia is a type of train that uses the high speed tracks where available (going at high speed during that part of the route) and change to the non-high speed tracks when there aren't high speed tracks (making the part of the route on non-high speed tracks at the speed that allows the tracks). In the case of the route from Madrid Chamartín to León, all the route is on high speed tracks being León where it changes to the non-high speed tracks to continue to Oviedo and Gijón.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Castilian, I'm very grateful, I'm trying to sort these tickets between work and study, and you just saved me a stack of time. That website you suggested is great, and I just booked the ticket on Loco2. So easy. And you sent me the details of connecting from airport to Chamartín - another thing that's saved me time. My Camino is another step nearer. Best wishes, P

I forgot to say that if your Alvia ticket includes a "combinado cercanías" code (and it should include it), the ticket for the Cercanías ride from the airport to Madrid Chamartín would be free of charge but don't forget you have to get the free ticket (i.e.: you couldn't get onboard without a specific ticket for the Cercanías).

Great, it does have that on the ticket. I'll pick up the free ticket at the airport. Thanks for letting me know.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back