A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Winter Portugues Coastal

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Via De La Plata, Camino De Madrid, The Oberstrasse, Camino Ingles, Camino Portugues
I am thinking of continuing walking the camino portugues after Caminha in the week before xmas. What problems, if any, can I expect on xmas eve and xmas day itself? Will there be anywhere to stay?

roving_rufus

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
Christmas always brings issues as businesses often close up. Even some albergues close specifically only at Christmas. I would very definitely have a plan for where to stay.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
IMHO, plan your walking stages, and budget to stay at commercial lodging (i.e.hostal or hotel) on those key days. The chances are excellent they will be open to service people visiting relatives in the area.

For example, you are sure to find hotels / hostals, etc. open at Ponte de Lima, Barcelos, Pontevedra, etc. In between, or albergues at the lowest cost end of things will likely be closed, unless they are attached to a bar /cafe.

You can use booking.com, gronze, etc. to locate places and contact them early to verify they will be open.

If anyone else has better ideas or information, please jump in.

surya8

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
I am thinking of continuing walking the camino portugues after Caminha in the week before xmas. What problems, if any, can I expect on xmas eve and xmas day itself? Will there be anywhere to stay?
We walked the Coastal in mid Jan this year, crossed over to Spain on the last boat on Sun, got lucky there as there are no budget ones on Mon so make sure your know the boat schedule not to get stuck in Portugal. A Guarda albergue didn't have a hospitaliero, not sure if that was a permanent or temporarily thing in winter, we had to call the number and police came to open it up for us. All/most of the municipal albergues in Galicia should be open over X-mas as far as I've heard but better to check it out, the private ones could be tricky though. I'd probably book it for X-mass, stay somewhere warm. As for walking make sure you use the bars on the way when you see them open as that may take a while for the next one to appear. Have some emergency snacks for the road. That's my daily blog starting from A Guarda in Jan, pics are international :) https://anna-camino.livejournal.com/6348.html Bom Caminho! :)

roving_rufus

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
The ferry could be an issue too. But having walked in January I turned up the river from Caminha mostly along a cycle track to Valenca and then along the central. But I had seen enough sea walking from Porto

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock