• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter/Spring Packing List?

Choweth

I've been trying to search for someone who has posted a March and April camino list but can't seem to find one. Can anyone link me to a list? Pretty please :) I will be walking the Le Puy and Frances. I will arrive in Paris on March 3, 2014. Thank you in advance!

{Candace, Texas, USA)
KIK: candacehoweth91

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Candace, I checked out your blog and am excited as you for you to do the Camino - who wouldn't be?

You have a wonderful idea and I hope you can achieve it. What will you do with the two little boys? If you forward plan, there is no reason why they cannot go as well - others have done it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNW9jfKUeg

This young man, his wife, and baby all walked the Camino and he has documented it from beginning to end. He also gives some excellent advice on what to expect when walking with children. And your two children are still young enough to not have to miss school. I know from experience that leaving family behind is a terrible wrench, and to leave young children is almost impossible in itself.

My worry would be that, if you leave them behind, you will miss them terribly. But what an amazing experience the walk will be when you do manage to do it - whether next year or later. Don't listen to people who say it is impossible - as you say, nothing is impossible, and all you need to do is plan the whole trip, then take the first step. However, it might be an idea to put the Camino onto the back burner until the children are older and could do it with you, gathering their own memories along the way!

Make your own.

What works for me might not work for you.

Its about figuring what activities you will do and what you will need.

ie shower: towel, soap, soap dish, shower clogs.
walk: shoes, socks, pants, shirt, hat.
a full change of clothes at evening; you must have a dry set of clothes.
walk in cold: a light jacket, scarf, gloves, tuque.
walk in rain: a rain jacket or poncho

etc.

Then start trimming the list to make it lighter.

Its not hard to do, you're not scaling Everest; you're going for a walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
freeflyer123 said:
Hello Candace, I checked out your blog and am excited as you for you to do the Camino - who wouldn't be?

You have a wonderful idea and I hope you can achieve it. What will you do with the two little boys? If you forward plan, there is no reason why they cannot go as well - others have done it:

This young man, his wife, and baby all walked the Camino and he has documented it from beginning to end. He also gives some excellent advice on what to expect when walking with children. And your two children are still young enough to not have to miss school. I know from experience that leaving family behind is a terrible wrench, and to leave young children is almost impossible in itself.

My worry would be that, if you leave them behind, you will miss them terribly. But what an amazing experience the walk will be when you do manage to do it - whether next year or later. Don't listen to people who say it is impossible - as you say, nothing is impossible, and all you need to do is plan the whole trip, then take the first step. However, it might be an idea to put the Camino onto the back burner until the children are older and could do it with you, gathering their own memories along the way!

Oh I have watched their entire adventure. It was great to watch! This is something that I want to do alone though, 110%. I want to get lost in a new world where no one knows my name. They will have someone to care for them while I am gone and my husband has to work. No doubt that I will miss them. I even thought about canceling just for that reason, because they are so young. Took about a week until I realized that I can't just cancel, my heart won't let me. If I wanted to or if I had to I could always come right home. :)

{Candace, Texas, USA)
KIK: candacehoweth91

Candace,

Since I have never walked in summer but usually in autumn and winter my kit has evolved to be warm and cozy but still a lightweight 6.5 kilos. During eight caminos it has been comfortable in 'difficult' weather conditions including deep mud, heavy wind, lashing rain, freezing albergues and three true blizzards as well as walking in glorious golden sunshine. Like many veteran pilgrims do I layer basic items when necessary. One important change made over time is now the jacket is bright reflective yellow and for my next camino the poncho will be day-glo orange for maximum safety.

Here is the list >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Whatever you plan to take be sure to train while wearing and carrying it. Tried and true is better than new and never worn for all your camio gear.

Happy planning and training,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Candace
We walked in January and February of a mild winter in 2006 (although it still seemed punishingly cold for someone not used to cold winters). This packing list worked just as effectively for the Via Francigena, which we did in Autumn (October and November) France to Rome. The VF was probably very similar weather and temperatures to what you will experience. (packing list attached).
Good luck. It's fantastic whatever the weather.

Attachments

• Packing list 3 June 2013.doc
    41 KB · Views: 143
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Candace, I'm not attaching a list because i'm currently on the camino. But we left from Le Puy on April 2nd this year so I do want to say really do some trials with your feet because this path is a challenge to what is best for your feet! We spent several days walking on a path with a creek running through it. It was large rocks and a mixture of mud and some cow manure. Our Saloman gortex boots did fairly well in the beginning but we spent several days with very wet feet all day. In addition, we woke up to about 4 inches of snow one day. You will almost certainly have much more starting that early.
After you get down from the Aumont Aubrac area a huge percentage of the time is spent walking on pavement- sometimes all day. Will that make a difference to what you wear on your feet? I don't want to make specific recommendations because different things work for different people but I would like to suggest that you consider two pairs of insoles and choose your boots and socks very carefully. You may have to try different kinds of socks. Many people have success with the high tech versions and swear by them. For me they are the worst possible choice. My feet do well with wool when it's cold and a very fine cotton when it's hot. I know everybody says no cotton but I've walked over 3000 kilometers on different caminos without ever a blister luckily. That doesn't mean that's what's best for you.
And I agree with previous comments - think in layers. Light weight merino wool in layers worked well for us. And consider that you will possibly be in heavy rain for several days at a time so good waterproof gear is essential.
I'm not in any way trying to be negative about it. This is a beautiful path. But you'll enjoy it more if you're reasonably comfortable. And one more thing - if you are thinking of booking ahead do it in shorter stages than you think you can do for the first few days until you are comfortable knowing what your body is comfortable doing in these conditions. You can almost always change your reservation without it being a problem. Also - do check to make sure the spot you want to stay is available. Some places don't open until after Easter. Buen camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'll also be walking in March/April, with my dad. Maybe we'll see each other on the way!

I haven't finalized my packing list, but for any cool-to-cold-weather hiking I like lots of layers on top:

- merino wool underwear and sports bra
- merino wool or technical t-shirt
- merino wool long-sleeved base layer
- lightweight fleece mid-layer
- windshirt (not waterproof, so only good for wind - but very very light and breathable)
- quick-dry hiking pants

So that's probably what I'll be wearing, with an extra set of clothes in my bag.

Then, for weather, I'm thinking:

- buff (can be worn as a scarf, hat or balaclava-style if needed
- very light fleece toque (my fleece and my windshirt both have hoods, so on very cold days I can wear all three)
- merino wool gloves (I'm thinking about carrying a pair of latex rubber gloves as a shell, in case of rain or heavy winds)
- raincoat/poncho - I'm leaning towards picking up an altus in SJPP
- either rainpants or gaiters - haven't decided which yet

I keep going back and forth with regards to a very lightweight down jacket that I have (only 214 grams). I wouldn't hike in it, but I'm thinking that it might come in handy in the evening if it's freezing, or to sleep in on cold nights. I probably won't decide until the last minute.

Packing lists are hard, aren't they! But fun, too...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi My 2 cents worth:
We walked in the winter in Spain (starting December 27) and October-November in Italy. Summer might require cooler clothes, eg no headband or gloves and short sleeves. But if you are walking in winter, be aware that it was a mild winter in Europe and we did not get temperatures much below freezing in Spain in December January, in a more normal winter you might need more warmth (we sent on our thick thermals).

When you walk, you warm up, even in winter, so light clothing is good. I mostly walked just in a fine wool long sleeved t-shirt. My husband used hi-tech synthetic fabric in a long sleeved walking shirt.

In general terms, choose everything small, lightweight wherever possible.

Minimise weight doing things like clip nails before leaving and buy clippers en route and then throw them away. (I know it sounds extreme, but a few days in you’ll understand what I’m talking about).

There are plenty of grocery shops and pharmacies to buy common items eg vaselina, compeed, tissues, nurofen (ibuprofen)

You don’t absolutely need a guidebook, but John Brierley’s was an invaluable and interesting companion along the way. I highly recommend it.

You will need to personally carry some of the “Theirs” items if you are walking alone. We were able to share them. Water weighs 1 kg per litre.

We sent on and gave away some things after we had been walking a few days. You don’t need much. Life is so simple and a light pack makes for a happy walker. It is so common that Post Offices stock what they call Pilgrim Boxes in various sizes: you send on to Post Restante in Santiago and pck up there. (I can’t remember the exact address). But how much easier to be disciplined before you even leave.

I washed every night, usually just socks and sometimes tops.

For long periods we wore one set of clothes for day and one for evening. This minimises washing. This worked well for cool /cold weather.

When you pack, put the heavy things at the bottom (eg sleeping bag) so your hips carry the weight.

I carried:
Hers

Aarn Featherlite 35 litre Freedom backpack
Sleeping bag
Silk long johns and top (for pyjamas and occasional extra warmth), 1 set (NZNature Co brand, bought mail order)
Ultra fine merino wool (Hedrena brand):
- single weight slacks, 2 pairs (I have now changed to Nike walking pants)
- undies, 2 pairs (cotton is very slow to dry, use merino or synthetic)
Ultra fine merino wool (Kathmandu brand, but I think Icebreaker from Paddy Pallin would be just as good):
- Long sleeved t-shirts, 2
Bridgedale wool hiking socks, 4 pairs (I wore two pairs each day, changed at lunchtime, washed them at night)
Anklet stocking sox, 2 pairs
Elastic knee support for a dodgy knee, 1 (two would have been good, worn on both knees)
1 bra
1 small polyester pretty scarf, when I wanted to look nicer some evenings (we stayed a a few nice hotels and Paradors along the way when we couldn’t find cheap accommodation or felt like a treat)
1 pair small earrings, worn all the time
Reading glasses and lightweight case
Sunglasses (not used)
Headlamp
Polar Fleece headband
Sleeveless Polar Fleece shell
Goretex 2 layer jacket
Goretex waterproof caving gloves
Akubra hat
Waterproof breathable overpants
Short gaiters
2 Trekking poles
Very light shoe horn
Randonnee Proof leather hiking boots
Running shoes (only used in the evening, to give my feet a rest)
In small containers (I have since heard of people usisng ziplock mini-sandwich bags, probably a good option):
- Moisturiser
- Face cleanser
- All purpose detergent (mostly you use the soap from where you are staying to wash your clothes so you don’t need much – one sachet)
Small toothbrush
Small microfibre towel (I regretted not taking a medium sized one)
Tissues
Cotton buds
1 tiny, thin washcloth
2 nappy (diaper) pins
Sponge bag (drawstring plastic bag to hold bathroom items)
Deodorant
Nurofen
Antihistamine
Vaseline
lip salve
tweezers
emery board
notebook and ballpoint pen
Small digital camera
In an inside pocket of my jacket
- emergency money
- one credit card
- info on bank accounts
- credit card cancellation info
- list of credit cards carried
- travel insurance info
- flight info

He carried:
His
Aarn 35 litre Featherlite Freedom backpack and 2 balance packs
Sleeping bag
Travel pillow
Chargers for Ipod, MP3 player, camera, 3G phone (+ Garmin gps in Italy, not needed in Spain)
Device to download photos from camera to Ipod
Adaptor plug
Swiss army knife
Sports watch with alarm, stopwatch, compass
Randonee Proof Leather hiking boots
Running shoes and bag
Running socks
Goretex 2 layer jacket
Some pharmaceuticals
Polar Fleece headband
Goretex waterproof caving gloves
Document carrier with:
- passports
- credencials
- credit cards
- money
- list of flights and accommodation
- pen
Headlight
Glasses and lens cloth
Sunglasses and case
Medium size microfibre towel
Silk handkerchief
Small toothbrush
Razor and replaceable blades
Hi tech clothes:
- 2 pr undies
- 4 pr Coolmax socks
- 2 pr Coolmax sock liners
- 1 pr trousers
- 1 pr calf length shorts
- 2 shirts
Polypropylene thermal undershirt and long johns
Polar fleece sleeveless shell
Waterproof breathable overpants
Short gaiters
Akubra hat
1 Trekking pole (in Italy 2)

We split this: (he carried 3kg more weight, mostly water, so used balance packs in front)
Theirs
Collapsible 2.5 litre water bottle (Platypus brand)
Hotel sewing kit
Twisted elastic travel clothesline
Half a tube of child size toothpaste
Bandaids and Compeeds
Antibiotic cream
Anti-diarrhoea medicine
Anti-cramping medicine
Gel heel inserts in case of heel spurs
Food for the day , usually including chocolate, bread, cheese, wine
2 forks, knives, spoons (Paddy Pallin stocks very light ones, brand I think Sea to Summit)
John Brierley guide book

Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back