• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women walking solo

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi ladies,

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of women who walked this route alone. Did you feel safe? Did you come across any unpleasant experiences?

Thanks for sharing
Sonn
:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
TravellingSonn said:
I'm curious to hear the thoughts of women who walked this route alone. Did you feel safe? Did you come across any unpleasant experiences?
I felt just as comfortable walking the Le Puy route alone as I did on the Camino Frances and have had no hesitation in walking alone in other parts of France.

Though not nearly as busy as the Camino Frances, the Le Puy route has become quite popular so you should find company if you desire it but equally, you should have plenty of space to walk by yourself if you prefer it that way.

Hi,
Just finished the Camino Frances the end of Oct. In the 4 weeks I was a solo traveler I experienced almost every human emotion you can imagine, except fear. I always felt safe and did not have any unpleasant experiences. I did have a moment questioning my sanity when I left Olveiroa on my way to Muxia in the pitch black and the first thing I had to do was go over a mountain with not the best head lamp. But it worked out OK. I was actually surprised how many single woman travelers there are on the camino... young and a bit older alike. I am 59 years old, married and spent much time alone on the camino. The best!
Debbie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Sonia: You mentioned in an earlier post that your plan was to walk from Le Puy to Santiago in September, walking about 2-1/2 months. September is the single most popular month for walking in France (per Ram at Ultreia in Moissac), as the young retirees give the grandchildren back to mom and dad for the start of the school year and now are at liberty. Both years I walked in France, I walked in September. The gites were full. The evening tables at the demi-pension accommodations were full. You are in no danger of being alone in the evening. During the day, you may if you like walk alone, but there will be quite a few people ahead and behind. So if you needed assistance, it would be readily available.

That being said, there are pulses of pilgrims on the path. Some days of the week are very popular for leaving Le Puy. Remember that 85% of the walkers on that route are French, so the busiest times for leaving Le Puy are on the weekend. Mid-week is a bit less busy. If you leave Le Puy in a crowd, you will pretty much be walking along with them the next two weeks.

I felt very safe, personally. Everyone looks out for each other. The French were very solicitous. (No place is a paradise of course, and so the usual travel cautions apply.)

I rode my bicycle alone from Dieppe to Bayonne as the first part of my Camino and camped. Then rode to Leon and walked the rest of the way to Santiago solo. No problem. I felt very safe.
However, I am interested in the Via de la Plata and that is much more remote and not as well travelled. I was just in Sevilla yesterday making inquiries and I met an American living there who advised against a woman alone on the Via de la PLata. I did cycle a few days just to check it out and it is indeed much more remote and there is very little infrastructure relative to the Ruta Frances.
Anybody interested in walking the Via de la Plata?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sonn you should be absolutely fine. I did do the walk with my Dad, but often observed how safe it felt and would have no hesitation in walking from Le Puy solo.

As Kitsambler mentioned September is very popular and you won't have a shortage of people to meet especially in the Gites at night. It would be ideal to have a basic understanding of the language to communicate as most walkers are French, but they're usually very friendly and happy speak slowly with you. If all else fails a few basic words, hand gestures and a big smile go a long way!

What struck us was the friendliness of nearly every person on the trail, from the pilgrims to the casual walkers and those running the Gites we rarely encountered anything less than pleasant. I think you'll have a wonderful time - buen camino!

I walked VDLP alone starting this April and felt completely safe.Some days saw no-one in front or behind me. Strange! I wouldn't think of long distance walking alone here in West Australia.
No worries!
Heather

TravellingSonn said:
...I'm curious to hear the thoughts of women who walked this route alone. Did you feel safe? Did you come across any unpleasant experiences?...

Hello Sonn, I walked this route alone in Oct. 2004. Yes, I felt safe as I walked. No, I didn't have any unpleasant experiences with others. The French are used to women walking alone along GR routes and les Chemins de St Jacques. France is the only European country in which I haven't been asked repeatedly, Aren't you afraid to walk alone?

There are some wonderful conversations on the Forum about this topic. If you click on Check if your question has been asked before and type in 'women alone' or 'solo female' or words to this effect you will find them. Others have written about their fears. So 'afraid' or something similar will find these contributions, too.

Bon Chemin
Lovingkindness

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
..... I did have a crisis, though, in Nasbinals. I arrived alone late one afternoon in the cold and grey. The gite was deserted. There were no locks in the bathrooms or sleeping areas and the building seemed cavenous. I scouted about and suddenly felt insanely frantic. I was about to run away, something I was prone to doing, when a feeling of stillness came. It seemed to me that I had a choice: I could give in to blinding fear or I could stand my ground and attack it.

[edited 01/12/2012]

Ladies,

Merci beaucoup for sharing your thoughts/stories/experiences regarding your solo voyage. I know this is a fear of mine I need to overcome as well. As stated by lovingkindness, it's time to confront this fear head on. :)

My dates/destination have since changed. I'm now looking at commencing my walk (Le Puy - SJPP) around 22nd May.

Thanks again.

Bon chemin
Sonia
:)

Aha! New dates! So that will change your experience a bit. There will be many walkers still, but those dates fall in the lull after the major French holidays in May and the end of school at the end of June, so it will not be so crowded. The weather is likely to be a little wetter. The flowers will be blooming profusely. The gite owners will still be fresh and not yet so tired and harried from their hospitality duties. Bon chemin!

Thanks for sharing your experiences! This helps me feel better about my walking on this route. I must overcome this fear and go for it.

Buen Camino,
Sylvia

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back