• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yet another packing list

patgreen

I walked from SJPP to Leon last year and I think I've got the walking bug. This May I'm going to start where I left off and hopefully get to Finisterre and Muxia.
I'm male age 57 and my weight is 66 kg.
Below is my packing list and would welcome any comments?
PatWeight.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@patgreen - I think this looks pretty good. 8.4 kg is not bad for your weight. There are a few areas that I would do differently, but that's just personal preference, so I won't go nitpicky on you. Good planning!
Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from SJPP to Leon last year and I think I've got the walking bug. This May I'm going to start where I left off and hopefully get to Finisterre and Muxia.
I'm male age 57 and my weight is 66 kg.
Below is my packing list and would welcome any comments?
PatView attachment 9054
Maybe I am wrong but I don't count the weight of my trekking poles in the total. They are not in/on my backpack (my way of deciding what counts in the carrying weight). What do others think about this?
Stefania

Actually let me amend that - why a poncho and waterproof jacket and pants?

Hi, I think like you, why double up.... But....when my husband walked his camino last April/May he took both AND used them both and told me he was very grateful to have it all....To protect himself from the cold, the wind and the constant rain at times.... But then he can carry heavier packs than me.
Patgreen, that seems pretty good to me, considering you are adding up everything, enjoy your camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I think like you, why double up.... But....when my husband walked his camino last April/May he took both AND used them both and told me he was very grateful to have it all....To protect himself from the cold, the wind and the constant rain at times.... But then he can carry heavier packs than me!

Well, of course you're right! It's a roll of the dice trying to predict the weather before arriving in Spain. Some people take the risk, and go with less, some people are more risk-adverse and take more. Whether it's rain gear, sleeping bags, or anything else. It's whatever you feel comfortable with. You do roll the dice and are prepared for the consequences, either way, right?

I'm with Stefania here concerning the poles, also why count clothes being worn, surely they are a constant.
If you take those out its hard to see how you could be more minimalist. I am leaving in May and so wrestling with my own list.
Cheers, John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From past experience I'd leave the waterproof pants in….I've wished I'd had them in the past and very happy I had them on my last camino, made my days much more enjoyable being dry, warm and comfortable. If only we could ask Mother Nature what she has in store for us……….

Actually let me amend that - why a poncho and waterproof jacket and pants?
Thanks for your comments everyone.
I've never used a poncho. Breathable rain jackets don't seem very breathable to me so I decided to try a poncho as I can get very sweaty. The down sides of a poncho seem to be:
Bad in the wind, not very warm and not good for going out in the evening. So I want to take a rain jacket.
I may ditch the poncho or it may ditch me. It's light and very cheap.
This is it:
Poncho.png

I would not take the poncho and jacket and get a Altus raincoat there. I think you will find it better for keeping your pack dry and equal on keeping you dry. With the goretex socks, you may be able to even ditch the pants, but I would leave that up to you.

Rambler

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would:

• Ditch the rain jacket and keep only the poncho.
  • Guidebooks??? - One is enough.
  • Compass - No need
  • Combine soap/shampoo ect in one.
Buen Camino! SY

I would save on the shampoo, sun cream and medical things, by using these free sachets that hotels hand out for shampoos. Buy your sun cream in a tube and not in a bottle. Take only the very minimum of medical supplies (2/3 pills of any medicine not more, and don't bing the boxes they are packed in) you will find pharmacies practically everywhere, so if you really need something, buy it then. Also toothpaste, bring a half tube with you and then buy on the way when needed. By that time, you are getting used to your pack and the weight. Basically, never bring anything in a plastic bottle, but go for tubes. Anne

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.